PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Garcia, QB

Sooner in Tampa
5/9/2006, 06:54 AM
JKM...do you know if the Sooners are interested at all in this kid from here in Tampa ? Or do they pretty much already know who they are targeting?

He has proven to be a pretty good QB with a good arm and good mobility.

Profile (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2402985)

Article (http://www.tbo.com/sports/prepsports/MGBXSFWMZME.html)

http://media.tbo.com/photos/trib/2006/may/0508prp1.jpg

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/9/2006, 12:14 PM
i haven't followed one ounce of recruiting this year

NormanPride
5/9/2006, 12:33 PM
slacker. ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/9/2006, 12:45 PM
well, i am a consultant

The Consumate Showman
5/10/2006, 12:26 PM
we're not even on his list yet....and florida must be in need of a backup QB....I don't know why Garcia wants to go to a place where he will ride the bench unless Tebow is injured.....

Hope he's not like Jeff....

Sooner in Tampa
5/10/2006, 12:32 PM
I don't really see him going to UF either...Leak will play this year and then the job is Tebows for the next 3 or 4 years. Tebow got rave reviews from the spring game.
I know we are not on list, I was just wondering if he was even on our radar screen at all. I have not seen him play in person, but I will probably see him a couple times in the upcoming season.

NormanPride
5/10/2006, 01:27 PM
well, i am a consultant

Plenty of wireless hotspots in the airports! Hotels have free wireless usually! So when you get off work at 11, just hop right on and get busy. :D

Sooner in Tampa
8/3/2006, 06:01 AM
I REALLY hope that Bob or somebody on the staff calls this kid. He finished first or second at the Elite Nike QB Camp.

CALL HIM!!!!!

Sooner in Tampa
8/25/2006, 05:57 AM
According to Hale on the Animal yesterday, Garcia does have some interest in OU now. Hale seems to think that we really have a chance at this guy. I think I am going to see him play tonight.

southern sooner
8/25/2006, 09:02 AM
I would love to hear an update after you see him play.

Sooner in Tampa
8/25/2006, 09:10 AM
I would love to hear an update after you see him play.Consider it done.

OUGreg723
8/25/2006, 09:50 AM
Awesome!! Thanks man!!

Sooner in Tampa
8/25/2006, 09:57 AM
I would love to hear an update after you see him play.I just read in the morning rag that the school they are playing has an all-world DB who has committed to Alabama...it should be a great game.

jdsooner
8/25/2006, 03:44 PM
Garcia is a BIG BOY!

TampaGator17
8/25/2006, 07:39 PM
Lock to be a ****.

Um, South Carolina bound.

The Consumate Showman
8/25/2006, 10:41 PM
OU sees Garcia as the most polished of the QB's we are currently looking at. Whether or not its a case of "too little, too late" is yet to be seen. OU is trying HARD to push for either the Newton kid or Garcia. You never know with these kids. Newton is set to announce his decision on Sept 8(?, pretty sure about the date), and Garcia has yet to announce when he will officially announce, although it looks more and more like he is going to try and make it to Norman for an official b-4 he decides anything.

Look for us to go after a JUCO QB as well.

jccouger
8/25/2006, 11:04 PM
Looks like a hippy.

GottaHavePride
8/26/2006, 01:25 AM
Newton is set to announce his decision on Sept 8(?, pretty sure about the date), and Garcia has yet to announce when he will officially announce, although it looks more and more like he is going to try and make it to Norman for an official b-4 he decides anything.

Announcing where you're going to school = ok.

Announcing when you will be announcing where you will be going to school = ghey.

KingDavid
8/26/2006, 08:04 AM
well, i am a consultant

exactly, you are OUR research consultant. now snap to it.

The Consumate Showman
8/26/2006, 12:02 PM
exactly, you are OUR research consultant. now snap to it.

I think jkm is trying to take a break. I've been steeped in recruiting heavily now for a few years and I can tell you that if you try to follow it as closely as I do, then it can get pretty hectic. There are a lot of kids to look at, a lot of people you can call, and a lot of scenarios to play out...

Sooner in Tampa
8/28/2006, 05:19 AM
Garcia is a big dude...I went to see Jefferson play Middleton Friday night. Garcia really stands out on the sideline...he is listed at 6-3 220 and he looks that big.

He played pretty well, he had a pass over the middle to the tight end in the second quarter that was pure beauty...about a 70 yd play, it was called back because of holding.

Garcia throws really well on the roll out, they did it several times because Middleton was bringin the house on him. He also runs well...at one point it was third and twelve so he just dropped back and did a QB draw...picked up 15 yds. He made some nice adjustments as the night went on too. He was throwing the ball pretty hard and his guys were dropping a few passes, so he started throwing the ball with more finesse.

He lead the team on several long drives...Jefferson really seems to be working on the holding problem with the O-Line...there were 3 flags back to back to back.

I am not a scout...nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express...but this dude looks really good. He got sacked twice, and his coach REALLY go in his arse, and you could see that it ****ed him off...the next drive, he led the team on a 60 yd drive and he scored on the a bootleg from 5 yds out. It was kind of suprising how easy he got since almost everybody knew that they were going to rely on him to score in some way.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head...if you have any questions...fire away.

Sooner in Tampa
8/28/2006, 05:21 AM
Lock to be a ****.

Um, South Carolina bound.I was of the same thought until the whole Bomar thing went down. I think that Carolina is still a lead, but I honestly believe if he visits, we will have a great shot at him.

sooner-n-ga
8/30/2006, 07:41 PM
http://www.alligator.org/pt2/060825antonio.php

Note to Mr. Tebow: Back off

By ANTONIO GONZALEZ
Alligator Columnist

The media and the public have been kicked out of practices, but there is still one more distraction the Gators have to deal with.

He wears khaki pants and a white shirt, black sunglasses, a straw hat and gives loads of input to players and coaches. So much so, you'd think he was a member of the UF coaching staff. Well, he isn't.

He's Bob Tebow, father of backup quarterback Tim Tebow, and you can almost always find him within a foot of his son or Coach Urban Meyer during practice.

The Gators kick off the 2006 season in eight days and no one seems to be in the ear of Meyer or Tebow more than Bob, and that can't be a good thing.

This is so plain and simple, I'll just say it: Bob Tebow needs to go home.

Bob sends a bad signal to the entire team - especially quarterback Chris Leak - when he's cracking jokes with Meyer in the middle of the 2-minute drill.

Sure, players' parents are invited to practice and attend, but not every day. And when parents do visit practice, they don't distract Meyer from doing his $2-million-a-year job, like Bob does.

With all the friendliness that Meyer shows Bob, one can only guess if his input is being put into the playbook.

And who knows how much bad advice Bob is feeding Tebow.

Bob is so fanatical about making sure his son succeeds, he doesn't even have time to talk to this writer after practice, saying he has to "talk to my son about what he needs to do."

This sort of problem isn't the first of its kind.

Just look at what happened last year when one obsessed parent went too far with her son. Patricia Portis, mother of former UF backup quarterback Josh Portis, frequented practices and became a constant annoyance for Meyer and the Gators last season.

Patricia voiced her opinion to the media as well, saying that her son deserved more playing time. Portis eventually followed his mother's advice and transferred to Maryland.

Tebow, although much better than Portis, is on this same path for destruction.

I can only wonder how far away Bob is from Tebow when he's not practicing.

Bob probably still packs Tebow a paper-bag lunch, sits next to him in classes and studies with him at night. Heck, he probably bunks in Tebow's dorm to make sure the future UF star quarterback accurately dreams of football glory.

How much will it take for Meyer to excuse Bob from practice? Or how much will it take for Meyer to put Bob on the payroll?

There's no doubt that Bob is a loving, caring father who only wants the best for his son. But he's going a bit overboard, and it's hurting the Gators.

Bob is treated special, hence Tebow is treated like a special something. That is never good when trying to get a team to buy into, well, a "team" concept.

If Meyer wants his team to believe that no one is bigger than the game, he needs to excuse Bob from practice.

If not, Bob is a pastor, so why not just make him the team chaplain? At least then he could serve a real purpose.

The Consumate Showman
8/31/2006, 06:36 PM
Jerry Bomar II????????????????

TampaGator17
9/6/2006, 07:40 PM
The article was written by a student who was bitter because Tebow wouldn't give him an interview. All parents are invited to watch practice, and with Bob's schedule flexibility and proximity, he is able to attend more often than others. I attended a few practices, and I never saw Bob out on the field or being disruptive in any way.

Sooner in Tampa
9/7/2006, 09:46 AM
If'n you want to check out Garcia and have ESPNU----their game on the 15th will be televised.

Fri., Sept. 15 Jefferson (Fla.) vs. Armwood (Fla.) 8 p.m. ESPNU

Armwood is #1 Jefferson is #3---Should be a great game...I am taking Armwood, I think are just too good-even against Garcia and the Dragons.

westcoast_sooner
9/7/2006, 11:56 PM
I looked at the Rivals highlight stuff on Garcia. He looks like he's got some mobility, and a pretty good arm.

Sooner in Tampa
9/8/2006, 05:47 AM
I looked at the Rivals highlight stuff on Garcia. He looks like he's got some mobility, and a pretty good arm.Dude runs VERY well, but in the one game that I saw him play, he doesn't run a lot. He does do quite a bit of rolling out. He ran a QB sneak for 14 yds and a first down. He doesn't seem to WANT to run all of the time.

His is pretty awesome. I saw him thow a pass that was about 50 yds to a reciever on a fly route down the sideline...Garcia over threw him by about 3-4 yds. It was a really nice pass. It just missed...it was have been six if they completed it. He also has a real quick release.

Sooner in Tampa
9/8/2006, 10:31 AM
Garcia's daddy was just on the radio...says that the folks from OU are going to be in town today for a visit. Jefferson plays Alonso tonight...Garcia should have a MONSTER game.

I wonder who is making the trip??

The Consumate Showman
9/8/2006, 04:59 PM
I wonder who is making the trip??

Might be Heupel? He is the QBs coach...

Maybe Sumlin?

I bet they send the newby out, which would mean Heupel; and if he comes, I bet he adorns that NC ring...

Sooner in Tampa
9/8/2006, 10:26 PM
Might be Heupel? He is the QBs coach...

Maybe Sumlin?

I bet they send the newby out, which would mean Heupel; and if he comes, I bet he adorns that NC ring...A stop in Tampa for a Friday night game and then on to Washington for tomorrows game ?

The Consumate Showman
9/9/2006, 09:01 AM
A stop in Tampa for a Friday night game and then on to Washington for tomorrows game ?

Don't know WHAT I was thinking on that one. You're right, probably just some "official" people from the athletic department. Oh, and we play in Norman...

OUster
9/10/2006, 01:40 AM
Don't know WHAT I was thinking on that one. You're right, probably just some "official" people from the athletic department. Oh, and we play in Norman...

Sorry Castiglione, but very unlikely Stoops himself was hanging out in Seminole Heights to see Jefferson play the night before the second game of the season. That is the only point Carolina was making.

The Consumate Showman
9/11/2006, 12:25 AM
Sorry Castiglione, but very unlikely Stoops himself was hanging out in Seminole Heights to see Jefferson play the night before the second game of the season. That is the only point Carolina was making.

Where do these people come from?

Sooner in Tampa
9/11/2006, 05:37 AM
Oh, and we play in Norman...HEH...I don't know why I thought that we were on the road.

BTW...Garcia did have a pretty good game...Jefferson won 36-0. The is a good deal of hype that is going to surround this weeks game...#1 Armwood is hosting Jefferson on Saturday...the game will be on ESPNU

OUster
9/11/2006, 01:40 PM
Where do these people come from?

Tampa, down the street from where Jefferson and Garcia were playing. Since relocated to that little ray of sunshine in your soul.

Carolina, let me know how that Armwood/Jefferson game goes. Seffner always has serious talent. Kinda of weird they have only moved onto the national map this year after 3 or 4 state titles in the past 5 years.

Sooner in Tampa
9/15/2006, 05:25 AM
TONIGHT @ 8 pm EST ESPN U, #8 Jefferson vs. #1 Armwood.

http://espn.starwave.com/photo/2006/0524/recruit_garcia_412.jpg

Sooner in Tampa
9/15/2006, 10:40 PM
Just got back from BWW...watched Jefferson lose to Armwood. Damn...Jefferson should have won that game despite 8 sacks by Armwood. Jefferson really moved the ball up and down the field pretty well. Three times they were inside the 5 and they did not score a single TD.

Garcia played really good at times...he had one throw that sticks in my mind...he was rolling right and the threw left across his body...it was a bullet for about 15 yds.

I was disappointed in the way the game was called offensively...Jefferson NEVER tried to set the running game, they came out throwing and never stopped.

I am interested in the thoughts of anybody else who happen to watch the game on ESPN U.

stoopified
9/28/2006, 05:56 PM
Word on the street is Josh Heupel is THE MAN recruiting Garcia.If we can get a visit I like our chances.

OU-HSV
9/28/2006, 07:57 PM
Word on the street is Josh Heupel is THE MAN recruiting Garcia.If we can get a visit I like our chances.
Yep..and there's a great story in this week's Sooner Spectator about Garcia..with mention of Josh recruiting him and so on.

The Consumate Showman
9/28/2006, 08:44 PM
Yep..and there's a great story in this week's Sooner Spectator about Garcia..with mention of Josh recruiting him and so on.

Methinks Garcia is going to be a Co<k...

goingoneight
9/28/2006, 09:07 PM
Methinks Garcia is going to be a Co<k...

Bomar is/was a co<k, so I don't like the sound of that. ;)

The Consumate Showman
9/29/2006, 12:32 PM
That would be the "Game" variety...

Sooner in Tampa
9/29/2006, 12:51 PM
Methinks Garcia is going to be a Co<k...I am waiting to see how hard we go after him. I still think that is the key. If we get a visit, then I think that we are REALLY in the running.

The Consumate Showman
9/29/2006, 10:10 PM
I am waiting to see how hard we go after him. I still think that is the key. If we get a visit, then I think that we are REALLY in the running.

He's not #1 on our wish list. He'll be with Spurrier.

Sooner in Tampa
10/3/2006, 04:59 PM
He's not #1 on our wish list. He'll be with Spurrier.I, for one, hope that this changes.

Sooner in Tampa
10/27/2006, 10:18 AM
Garcia and his mates have THE biggest game in the county tonight. Jefferson has one loss (they outplayed the beat that beat them, but scoreboards don't lie) and they play 8-0 Plant HS.

HUGE Game tonight...there is no love lost between these two teams.

Referring to Garcia---I don't think he's anything special, and if he wants to try to run up the middle, bring it on. Let him run up the middle on us. Go ahead." - Plant linebacker Brent Thomas

Link (http://www.tbo.com/sports/prepsports/MGBK0GMORTE.html)

http://media.tbo.com/photos/sports/2006/oct/1026preps230.jpg

ABOUT GARCIA: There is not much more that can be said about perhaps the greatest quarterback in Hillsborough County history. Garcia broke former Tampa Catholic standout Kenny Kelly's career passing yardage mark (7,486) and currently had thrown for 7,526 yards after three years as a starter. In addition, Garcia has thrown for 78 career touchdowns and only needs five more to break former Robinson standout Marcello Trigg's county mark of 82. He is leaning toward attending the University of South Carolina, but still has an interest in Oklahoma, Florida and Auburn.

OU-HSV
10/28/2006, 08:13 AM
Yikes...Garcia got schooled last night it sounds like:

The Panthers held Jefferson quarterback Stephen Garcia to 10 of 20 completions for 93 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions, one of the worst offensive performances in his three years as a starter

stoopified
10/28/2006, 10:04 PM
If Bob wants to sign him then I want to see him in Norman otherwise who cares?

Sooner in Tampa
10/29/2006, 06:44 PM
Yikes...Garcia got schooled last night it sounds like:Stephen did not have a great game...he ran a LOT...Jefferson lost a game they should have won. The HC really cost Jefferson the game.

snp
10/29/2006, 07:39 PM
If Bob wants to sign him then I want to see him in Norman otherwise who cares?

Because we are in desperate need of QBs and he is a very highly regarded and attainable target.

starrca23
10/30/2006, 09:24 AM
Maybe Bob Davies helped him make up his mind Saturday. I hope he watched the game.

goingoneight
10/31/2006, 10:57 AM
ABOUT GARCIA: There is not much more that can be said about perhaps the greatest quarterback in Hillsborough County history. Garcia broke former Tampa Catholic standout Kenny Kelly's career passing yardage mark (7,486) and currently had thrown for 7,526 yards after three years as a starter. In addition, Garcia has thrown for 78 career touchdowns and only needs five more to break former Robinson standout Marcello Trigg's county mark of 82. He is leaning toward attending the University of South Carolina, but still has an interest in Oklahoma, Florida and Auburn.

Dammit, another USC going after OUr guy!!! :mad: