Offense: 5, Defense: 8, Kicker/punter: 2

2005 statistical leaders (* returners)
Rushing: Adrian Peterson* (1,104 yds)
Passing: Rhett Bomar* (2,018 yds)
Receiving: Malcolm Kelly* (471 yds)
Tackles: Rufus Alexander* (102)
Sacks: Calvin Thibodeaux* (10)
Interceptions: Clint Ingram (5)

Spring Answers: So it turns out this Adrian Peterson is a pretty good little back. You might have heard of him. The kid from the Lone Star State who piles up yards by the hash mark when healthy. Well, Big 12 fans, here's a scary thought: That Peterson guy is once again at 100 percent -- and looking better than ever. He's lighter on his feet and was even more evasive than usual this spring. Avoid injury and he can go ahead and book a trip to the Big Apple. … Based on proven talent, one could make a strong case the Sooners' defensive ends are the best in the country. In fact, let's just go ahead and say it. Larry Birdine and John Williams were in line for huge seasons in 2005 before devastating injuries hit. Their absence only cleared the way for C.J. Ah You, who was named Big 12 Defensive Newcomer of the Year, and Calvin Thibodeaux, who led OU with 10 sacks. Now all four are in the rotation, along with Alonzo Dotson, who sat out last year due to academics. … The emergence of rising sophomore Reggie Smith had to be the story of the spring for the Sooners. A converted safety, Smith already looks like a shutdown corner opposite D.J. Wolfe. At least one source inside the program is already predicting a Thorpe Award awaits Smith later in his career. Keep an eye, too, on converted WR Lendy Holmes, who looks like a solid nickel back.

Fall Questions: With the rash of injuries that took over the O-line last fall, several young linemen gained some valuable experience. Still, it's never easy losing three starters up front, along with an underappreciated fullback (J.D. Runnels) who could block the Red River. A couple of the potential starters on the line weren't able to participate in the spring, so it was tough to gauge (seven players took all of the snaps). The talent is there. At what point does the unit gel, though? … Instead of a fullback, might the Sooners consistently utilize a two-tight end set? We'll see. Between Joe Jon Finley, converted end Auston English and 6-7 uberprospect Jermaine Gresham, the options are aplenty. … Can Rhett Bomar crank it up a notch in the leadership department? It's hard to demand of a second-year player, but it's a must if OU wants to get back into national title contention, which it clearly has a chance to do. Peterson isn't really a vocal guy and there's only one senior starter on offense. Some have argued Bomar gets a little too emotional at times, but he's smart enough to find a happy medium (and maybe improve that 1-1 TD-INT ratio while he's at it). … Late in the spring, Bob Stoops threw starting punter Cody Freeby off the team for various off-field reasons. What does this mean? It's anyone's guess. Junior Mike Knall is in the mix, but Stoops hasn't ruled out seeking some help this summer. So if you're a soccer player with a good leg in the greater Norman area, you might consider giving Bob a call.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2437347)

BASSooner
5/8/2006, 07:23 PM
eldirdge converted to TE not english, great article though. In fact, that one actually knows what it's talking about

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 07:45 PM
I really don't understand the reservation most media have with Bomar. After the Holliday Bowl against Oregon, another Freshman QB would be fallen over in the media. I mean he was pretty darn impressive the second half of the season.

goingoneight
5/8/2006, 08:58 PM
I really don't understand the reservation most media have with Bomar. After the Holliday Bowl against Oregon, another Freshman QB would be fallen over in the media. I mean he was pretty darn impressive the second half of the season.

I totally agree. People say he make dumb choices on the field... but for a guy who had to take over the team when it's fire was extinguished last season (OL and AD), I don't see anyone winning consecutively after that kind of reality check. Look at www.soonerscooter.com , click rising stars, and watch that guy's speed and accuracy. Even Jason White didn't fill in that part as a RFr. If Bomar masters the deep ball at all like JW did, people won't even remember the rough start he got in 2005.

SoonerJedi
5/8/2006, 09:08 PM
On the 1-1 TD/Int ratio, Bomar started the year 1-7 as he adjusted to college speed, the #1 receiver going out, the #1 tailback going out, and a bunch of freshmen receivers being thrown into the lineup.

Without AD healthy for much of the year, Bomar was asked to carry the team. By the end of the year he had flattened out the ratio.

yermom
5/8/2006, 10:10 PM
not to mention the OL issues

he went from not passing once in the second half in the 2nd game of the season and fumblitis in the 3rd game to tossing a TD in the 2nd Overtime for the W against Baylor and leading us down the field twice in Lubbock to take the lead in the 4th... he did all he could to win that game

i know it was Baylor, but they were a different team last year...

SouthFortySooner
5/8/2006, 10:49 PM
Let'em underestimate him. The boy is a mechanic.

sooner13f
5/8/2006, 11:05 PM
On the 1-1 TD/Int ratio, Bomar started the year 1-7 as he adjusted to college speed, the #1 receiver going out, the #1 tailback going out, and a bunch of freshmen receivers being thrown into the lineup.

Without AD healthy for much of the year, Bomar was asked to carry the team. By the end of the year he had flattened out the ratio.
Bomar did improve last year no doubt, but lets be honest for us to go where we want to go he has to get even better. I think everyone knows we can beat Hook 'em as long as he plays well to very well. So I understand the where they are coming from. I,m betting he can and we will.

tbl
5/9/2006, 12:11 AM
He has a lot of stepping up to do before we start comparing him to Jason.. just sayin...

westcoast_sooner
5/9/2006, 08:17 AM
Face it, Bomar had to know that the pressure would be on him when he came to OU. The first half of last year, he was out of control, and then came on and carried the team for much of the 2nd half of the season. He got better when AD got back in the lineup. I guess AD will do that.

But Bomar has to know that he has to improve, and that expectations will be higher this year. He also has a little more competition, and I'm hoping that he will step up, lead in the huddle and lead on the field. Hopefully he learned that he doesn't have to do it all himself.

tnobis60
5/9/2006, 09:11 AM
I think the writer of the article was being honest. On a national perspective, writers see Bomar having truckloads of trouble at the beginning of the year, (i know about OL and AD issues), but still, fumbling alot in one game, not completeing passes, and a 1-1 TD/INT ratio. He did improve, but he improved against Baylor? in overtime? The same team that Texas hung about fifty or sixty on AT baylor.

If you are going to point to improvement, you sure look to the Oregon Bowl game, not an overtime win against Baylor. And yes, I agree they have gotten better, but they're not exactly the '85 bears.

So in the writer's mind, Bomar needs to show consistency in his game, and that's why he said Bomar gets out of control sometimes, meaning he had a good game here or there, but also had terrible games. I wish him the best of luck.

yermom
5/9/2006, 10:18 AM
i'm just saying he got better as the season went on, he may have averaged a 1:1 TD to INT season, but that doesn't tell much about how it progressed, especially if he started out 1:7

i'm not saying he's going to win the Heisman or anything this year, but i'd bet he's the best QB in the Cotton Bowl in October

SoonerJedi
5/9/2006, 10:49 AM
Bomar did improve last year no doubt, but lets be honest for us to go where we want to go he has to get even better.

I disagree - not better, just different. Last year, without AD, he needed to go out and win the games for us. We put everything in his hands because sometimes we were down to our 3rd and 4th RB (see the Baylor game). And in doing so he made many mistakes which might not have happened if he had a reasonable cast around him and we were just asking him to manage the game rather than to win it.

If AD stays healthy this year, what we need from Bomar is to settle back and not try to do as much as he was asked to do last year. He just needs to manage the game, not try to win it for us. (how many times did we ask Bomar to deliver on 3rd down, instead of being close enough to try picking it up on the ground? - by the Oregon game he was delivering a lot on 3rd down incidently, which is hard to do at any level!)

I think we have the team to compete for a NC right now, but I don't know that we have the team to win it. I don't see anyone on our schedule that we can't beat, and no one across the league that stands out right now. In a down year in College Football, this team can compete for a NC.

Now competeing for a NC and winning one are totally different, and I would agee that we are no where near what we need to become to win one at this moment. We can't win a NC with last years OL. Those JC standouts we picked up, and young starters from last year have to give us some better play.

Still I'm optimistic. Thankfully we have Bob Stoops, not Mack Brown as our head coach so we have a chance to be even better than just the raw talent we have.
:P