PDA

View Full Version : How many of y'all enjoy buffalo meat?

royalfan5
5/8/2006, 01:34 PM
Just doing some research on alternative types of agriculture for my job, and I was wondering how many of you have tried buffalo, and how many of you eat it on a regular basis. Personally I enjoy buffalo, and it is healthy.

GottaHavePride
5/8/2006, 01:35 PM
There's a Ted's Montana Grill by my parent's house. Buffalo burgers and steaks are pretty dang tasty.

Flagstaffsooner
5/8/2006, 01:36 PM
I like buffalo burgers. Gives me gas but so does everything else.

critical_phil
5/8/2006, 01:39 PM
IN!

Jimminy Crimson
5/8/2006, 01:39 PM
Good stuff and good for ya!

Fugue
5/8/2006, 01:40 PM
in

King Crimson
5/8/2006, 01:42 PM
buffalo is good.

47straight
5/8/2006, 01:51 PM
My bro-in-law went on a primitive buffalo hunt in KS on some game reserve, where he got to track and kill his own on foot (and use a primitive firearm and sleep in a dugout). It was incredible meat, at least the burgers I had. I see it at the fancy grocery store, I should shell out for it sometime.

nmsoonergirl
5/8/2006, 01:59 PM
I like buffalo meat, but don't eat it all that often mostly cause it's hard to find.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/8/2006, 01:59 PM
What about ostrich meat?

I see it in stores and wonder 'what's up with that stuff?'...

yermom
5/8/2006, 02:01 PM
they have Ostrich Burgers at Fuddrucker's

i haven't ever tried it

i don't think i've had Buffalo either

IB4OU2
5/8/2006, 02:02 PM
My bro-in-law went on a primitive buffalo hunt in KS on some game reserve, where he got to track and kill his own on foot (and use a primitive firearm and sleep in a dugout). It was incredible meat, at least the burgers I had. I see it at the fancy grocery store, I should shell out for it sometime.

Pass.......foot meat's strangy...

hurricane'bone
5/8/2006, 02:04 PM
We'll get Buffalo every once and awhile from Reasor's, its good.

tbl
5/8/2006, 02:07 PM
1 word: Meers. If you haven't been there, it's time to go to Mt. Scott and treat yourself.

etouffee
Buffalo is excellent. Ostrich is also very good (but I've only had it twice, so YMMV). It's much closer to beef in appearance and texture than any other bird I've eaten.

Jimminy Crimson
What about ostrich meat?

I see it in stores and wonder 'what's up with that stuff?'...

Ostrich is good and good for ya!

My favorite ostrich steak was at The Hitching Post II.
not drinking merlot" quote here]

Jimminy Crimson
5/8/2006, 02:08 PM
I get my buffalo at Kamps Grocery in da OKC.

Ike
5/8/2006, 02:09 PM
mmmm buffalo...

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/about/campus/ecology/images/bison.jpg

this pic was taken 1.2 miles from the office I am sitting in BTW.

Flagstaffsooner
5/8/2006, 02:10 PM
Beaver is some good eatin' too.:D

IB4OU2
5/8/2006, 02:10 PM
1 word: Meers. If you haven't been there, it's time to go to Mt. Scott and treat yourself.

True, that's one out of the way place but it's really good.

IB4OU2
5/8/2006, 02:11 PM
mmmm buffalo...

this pic was taken 1.2 miles from the office I am sitting in BTW.

You have one heck of a telephoto lense.......:D

GDC
5/8/2006, 02:12 PM
Ted Turner used to raise them on a ranch next to mine in New Mexico. If they escaped through his supposedly buffalo-proof fence, he never got them back, I guarantee. They are tasty.

Jimminy Crimson
5/8/2006, 02:18 PM
As previously stated by GHP: Ted's Montana Grill

Mmmm.

walkoffsooner
5/8/2006, 03:42 PM
I bit into a arrowhead once and chipped a tooth

Boarder
5/8/2006, 03:59 PM
Buffalo is excellent. They have it at Dodson's in Norman.

C&CDean
5/8/2006, 04:06 PM
While I prefer elk steak and roast to buffalo, I like buffalo burger a LOT better than elk burger.

There's really not a lot of difference between a buffalo burger and a regular hamburger. A little less fat, but taste is very similar. And I've probably eaten 100 pounds of buffalo burger in my lifetime. Makes great meatloaf, chili, tacos, etc.

But there ain't money in raising them. Everybody I know who's tried has lost their ***. Especially the people who did the whole beefalo thing. Same with ostriches and emus. Fad food.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/8/2006, 04:08 PM
I like buffalo burger...

:meat: !!!

C&CDean
5/8/2006, 04:09 PM
****in' a

Boarder
5/8/2006, 04:15 PM
I gues it's safe to say that Dean doesn't love Alpacas.

C&CDean
5/8/2006, 04:18 PM
I gues it's safe to say that Dean doesn't love Alpacas.

Don't even get me started on alpacas/llamas. There's a crazy red headed lady at work who raises those worthless beasts. I asked her "how old do they have to be before you slaughter them?" She started crying. For reals. I go "you don't raise them for meat? What's the point then?" She just kept staring (well as much as you can stare when you're eyes point in two different directions), crying, and rocking back and forth in her chair.
Whack. Job.

IB4OU2
5/8/2006, 04:40 PM
I like wild game too. Elk, deer, turkey, quail, dove and even some duck, it's all good. Just watch out for the buck/bird shot.

Jimminy Crimson
5/8/2006, 04:41 PM
The only purpose those animals were put on earth for was for if you live in Columbia or somewhere in the Andes and you need to haul sh!t up and down the mountain. And when those animals aren't useful anymore, I bet they eat them. Because thats what animals are for.

KC//CRIMSON
5/8/2006, 04:49 PM
I had some Buffalo prime rib at Ted's Montana Grill, not bad. Beef is better though IMO.

GDC
5/8/2006, 05:04 PM
I like wild game too. Elk, deer, turkey, quail, dove and even some duck, it's all good. Just watch out for the buck/bird shot.

http://www.quailforever.org/

It's Monday, that means all you can eat quail at Big Red in Keys.

proud gonzo
5/8/2006, 05:15 PM
i just wish buffalo wasn't so expensive

Mjcpr
5/8/2006, 05:25 PM
I'm allergic to it.

Yeah, that's what we figured, lady.

:D

King Crimson
5/8/2006, 05:29 PM
my dad does this thing where you wrap a butterflied quail breast around half a seeded jalapeno and wraps that with a big piece of apple smoked bacon--stick it through with a long toothpick-- and grills it on the outdoor grill.

it's pretty friggin good.

MamaMia
5/8/2006, 05:34 PM
I buy about 15 to 20 pounds of buffalo a month at the Trading Post. I usually get a roast if they have one, a few steaks and 3 pounds of ground, I generally mix the ground buffalo with ground chuck or ground round though.

KC//CRIMSON
5/8/2006, 05:36 PM
my dad does this thing where you wrap smoked bacon around a gutted trout that's been stuffed with garlic, butter, and herbs. Load the smoker up with hickory and apple chips, put the trout in and BAM!

it's pretty friggin good.

GottaHavePride
5/8/2006, 06:43 PM
Don't even get me started on alpacas/llamas. There's a crazy red headed lady at work who raises those worthless beasts. I asked her "how old do they have to be before you slaughter them?" She started crying. For reals. I go "you don't raise them for meat? What's the point then?" She just kept staring (well as much as you can stare when you're eyes point in two different directions), crying, and rocking back and forth in her chair.
Whack. Job.
I thought alpacas were mostly for their wool, not the meat. At least, you always see hippies wearing those stupid hats made out of alpaca wool...

http://www.handspunhats.com/brown_wool_ski_cap.jpg

Oh wait, pg has one of those... :D

bri
5/8/2006, 06:54 PM
There's a joke to be made about Bill McCartney's daughter somewhere in this thread...

GottaHavePride
5/8/2006, 06:57 PM
Zang!

sooneron
5/8/2006, 06:57 PM
Buffalo - In! It's darn tasty- especially the burgers. I tried the flank steak one time and found it too tough. Maybe it was the skirt. I always get them confused.

sooneron
5/8/2006, 07:01 PM

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a260/drewfus63/Cartman.gif

The little one looks delicious!!!!!!

Jimminy Crimson
5/8/2006, 07:23 PM
There's a joke to be made about Bill McCartney's daughter somewhere in this thread...

No you di'in! :D

mrssoonerhubler
5/8/2006, 07:39 PM
I just feel a little guilty about eating buffalo being since they USED to be on the endangered species list :)

TUSooner
5/8/2006, 07:49 PM
I've only had a ground version with some onions & spices, but it was deeelish. I'd like to have some more, but Louisiana ain't exactly the buffalo capital of the USA.

GottaHavePride
5/8/2006, 07:57 PM
I just feel a little guilty about eating buffalo being since they USED to be on the endangered species list :)
As long as Chuck Norris lives, all species are endangered.

BigRedJed
5/8/2006, 08:49 PM
I thought alpacas were mostly for their wool, not the meat. At least, you always see hippies wearing those stupid hats made out of alpaca wool...

http://www.handspunhats.com/brown_wool_ski_cap.jpg

Oh wait, pg has one of those... :D
HIPPY STALKER!!

BigRedJed
5/8/2006, 08:51 PM
Best.

Mean.

Joke.

Evar.

BigRedJed
5/8/2006, 09:02 PM
My hermit grandma used to take my cousins and I to the Buffalo Ranch in Afton when we'd come visit her at Grand Lake. It was awesome. That is, if you were seven or eight years old. Rubber tomahawks, copper jewelry that turned your skin green, peace pipes with abnormally brightly colored feathers hanging from them, state shot glasses and spoons, and... ...buffalo burgers.

They were pretty much just sloppy joes, but sitting there, eating them with my tough-as-nails, 3/4 Indian granny, wearing my new copper and turquoise ring, they were the coolest food ever. Plus, there were actual buffalo out in a corral. I used to think they just butchered them out there and put them on a bun.

That place closed years ago. They tore everything down and built some ****ty convenience store store there with the name "Buffalo Ranch" on it, like it was somehow the same thing. :mad:

http://www.route66university.com/photos/postcard_26/buff_ranch.jpg

IB4OU2
5/8/2006, 09:11 PM
My hermit grandma used to take my cousins and I to the Buffalo Ranch in Afton when we'd come visit her at Grand Lake. It was awesome. That is, if you were seven or eight years old. Rubber tomahawks, copper jewelry that turned your skin green, peace pipes with abnormally brightly colored feathers hanging from them, state shot glasses and spoons, and... ...buffalo burgers.

They were pretty much just sloppy joes, but sitting there, eating them with my tough-as-nails, 3/4 Indian granny, wearing my new copper and turquoise ring, they were the coolest food ever. Plus, there were actual buffalo out in a corral. I used to think they just butchered them out there and put them on a bun.

That place closed years ago. They tore everything down and built some ****ty convenience store store there with the name "Buffalo Ranch" on it, like it was somehow the same thing. :mad:

http://www.route66university.com/photos/postcard_26/buff_ranch.jpg

I remember that place........long ago my MIL used to live in Disney and we went up there a few times. :(