PDA

View Full Version : My son's first Sooner game?

achiro
5/8/2006, 01:11 PM
So my son is 6 years old and asked this weekend if I will take him to a football game next fall...he is ready!:D

So I am going to make it an event for sure. First I have to decide which game to take him to. I want it in Norman and I want the energy to be through the roof. I figure we will go down Friday and stay the night. Probably go to the natural history museum on Friday as well.

Of course hitting a SF tailgate will be on the agenda.
So then the question is what other things should we schedule? Outside of anything involving alcohol, what are the "must do's?"

I know its early but figured I'd ask anyway...what can I say, I'm excited about my boys first game.:D

tbl
5/8/2006, 01:12 PM
Tech is going to be a pretty crazy atmosphere this year...

Soonrboy
5/8/2006, 01:15 PM
on the north side of the stadium, there is usually some stuff to do for kids, plus watching the band march down boyd before the game is pretty cool too.

King Crimson
5/8/2006, 01:20 PM
that's about how old i was when my pops started taking me--i saw every home game with the old man from 77 to 87. we used to walk to the games listening to the Brooks/Treps pregame on my dad's Sony pocket radio and get a sammich at Amspachers (turkey, swiss and hot mustard on rye for me) and I'd get a coke and him a Coors out of the cattle troughs out front. memories i'll never forget. that and the smell of cheap stogies and big aquanet haired wives with cheap perfume and vinyl OU handbags walking up the deck ramps.....

good on ya achiro.

Jimminy Crimson
5/8/2006, 01:20 PM
See the Schooner and Boomer and Sooner (the real ones) before the game, I believe on the north side of the stadium. Ditto for Cecil's Big Red Rocket. Bookstore in the parking garage just so he can see the 5 trillion OU items for sale. I always thought the union was cool when I was a wee one.

Fugue
5/8/2006, 01:24 PM
Switzer center on Friday ifn it's open.
Don't sit in the student section, he wont see the game.
Watch the drummer's warm up.

Jimminy Crimson
5/8/2006, 01:35 PM
I thought the duck pond R'edMFO at that age.

I thought the RUF/NEKS were clever for swimming to the island in the middle and putting up a sign for that weeks opponent.

mikeelikee
5/8/2006, 02:10 PM
Yes, he's ready. Our son was 5 when we took him to his first game, and it stuck--he graduated from OU this past December! :D

C&CDean
5/8/2006, 04:37 PM
Bring him to the tailgate. Tell him if he doesn't behave, I'll cook him up in my special recipe "chiropractor's son" stew.

StoopTroup
5/8/2006, 04:55 PM
Took my Son when he was three.

Everytime I put on an OU shirt he asks me if I'm going to an OU game and if he can go.

SicEmBaylor
5/8/2006, 06:30 PM
His first OU game should be a home game, but make his first away game at Baylor. He'll be able to see the game really well regardless of where you sit.

And kids love the bear. You may end up having a convert on your hands. ;-)