PDA

View Full Version : 50 Greatest College Programs of All-Time

Octavian
5/8/2006, 01:07 PM
This came up in another thread so here goes...

Street&Smith's lends their oppinion:

1. University of Notre Dame
2. University of Oklahoma
3. University of Southern California
4. University of Alabama
5. University of Nebraska
6. University of Michigan
7. Yale University
8. Ohio State University
9. University of Texas
10. Princeton University

* Fewer than 10 points separate the top three.

http://www.prwebdirect.com/releases/2005/10/prweb292279.htm
(this is the unammended list)

https://www.specialpubs.com/index.aspx

It's a really good publication and goes in-depth on all of them and spends a lot of time on the Top10.

The links provide a little info for you to cruise around on, but to really enjoy it you'd probably need to buy it. I got mine a couple months ago at the gas station across from Grandy's on Flood. Im guessing Barnes&Noble would be a safer bet now though ;)

Flagstaffsooner
5/8/2006, 01:22 PM
Yale and Princeton? Yeah, the early years, but jeez.

soonersam
5/8/2006, 01:27 PM
What no Baylor or Vandy

KyleUT
5/8/2006, 01:34 PM
Wonder how this year's MNC would help Texas? Can't see the basis they use to calculate, but I'd be interested to see. We also moved up to #3, I think, in total wins (or was it winning %?) all time.

Yale and Princeton being on there are a joke...what were there, like, 10 schools that were actually competitive back in the teens -- plus the whole East Coast/population center/media center things. But, it's not like you can just arbitraily pick a starting point (else an A&M writer would only include 1984-1994 and proclaim the Aggies top 10).

King Crimson
5/8/2006, 01:38 PM
Wonder how this year's MNC would help Texas? Can't see the basis they use to calculate, but I'd be interested to see. We also moved up to #3, I think, in total wins (or was it winning %?) all time.

Yale and Princeton being on there are a joke...what were there, like, 10 schools that were actually competitive back in the teens -- plus the whole East Coast/population center/media center things. But, it's not like you can just arbitraily pick a starting point (else an A&M writer would only include 1984-1994 and proclaim the Aggies top 10).

i doubt you're capable of seeing the irony between your two paragraphs.

KyleUT
5/8/2006, 01:41 PM
i doubt you're capable of seeing the irony between your two paragraphs.

No, no I do...and went ahead and posted it after thinking about it. Those wins over Austin School for the Deaf in the 1890s really helped push us ahead this year.

Just something about a team not even being 1-A any more still being listed as top 10 football programs of all time, that's all.

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 01:43 PM
1)Wonder how this year's MNC would help Texas? Can't see the basis they use to calculate, but I'd be interested to see. We also moved up to #3, I think, in total wins (or was it winning %?) all time.

2)Yale and Princeton being on there are a joke...what were there, like, 10 schools that were actually competitive back in the teens -- 1)It wouldn't change much because the teams above you have almost twice as many as you. Maybe you flip-flop with tOSU.

2)You mean back when texass built it's series lead over us? Wierd.

Bevo-Stevo
5/8/2006, 02:02 PM
You mean back when texass built it's series lead over us? Wierd

55-39-5?? Yep....that would be the one. ou played their share of no-name dogs back then as well.

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 02:04 PM
I'm kinda fuzzy with the new math but I'm pretty sure 7 > 3 even today.

CrimsonChampion
5/8/2006, 02:17 PM
I really only care about 1950 and up, that's when the bigtime powerhouses came about, some say the 70's and up, but call me bias since we won in '50 or whatever but the competition, imo, really started in 50. I will respect Notre Dames several titles before the 50's though, but princeton and yale? I looked on soonerstats.com and noticed in the 1890's we played like 3 or 4 games a season, and one of them without a coach! Also, weren't we once called the Oklahoma Roughriders back then?

Herr Scholz
5/8/2006, 02:28 PM
I'm kinda fuzzy with the new math but I'm pretty sure 7 > 3 even today.
7 > 4, yes. You might want to check your own fuzzy figures.

I don't have a problem with the top 6 on that list BTW. I think one could make an argument for either Texas or tOSU at #7.

picasso
5/8/2006, 02:28 PM
that list is worthless without Lapetomaine University.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/8/2006, 02:32 PM
Yale and Princeton? Yeah, the early years, but jeez.

I could see the case made because of the qualifier ALL-TIME but a lot of those Yale and Princeton titles are the "retro kind" where they played less than 10 games.

I would be a lot more biased toward modern day but I would put the Co-Canes and either Georgia or Penn St in there.

BASSooner
5/8/2006, 02:36 PM
55-39-5?? Yep....that would be the one. ou played their share of no-name dogs back then as well.
they really could care less of what the winning series is against a prestigious program. You guys do have an excellent all-time winning prestige though, however, you guys can't back you're program up with NC titles, conference championship titles because they don't match up to the domers, condoms, and OU which means you guys don't have the top-5-program potential.

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 02:38 PM
7 > 4, yes. You might want to check your own fuzzy figures.Ooops, I was going by the most conservative estimations (AP & BCS). If you want to count 1970, I'll count 1949, 1973, 1978, 1980 and 1986.

12 > 4?

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

Herr Scholz
5/8/2006, 02:43 PM
Ooops, I was going by the most conservative estimations (AP & BCS). If you want to count 1970, I'll count 1949, 1973, 1978, 1980 and 1986.

12 > 4?[/URL]
OK, Bama. Claim made up titles. Fact is, 2 groups named national champs in 1970: AP and UPI. We've got a national title trophy to prove it. You don't have any trophies for those years you listed.

Every organization lists UT as co-champ in 1970.

KyleUT
5/8/2006, 02:47 PM
Ooops, I was going by the most conservative estimations (AP & BCS). If you want to count 1970, I'll count 1949, 1973, 1978, 1980 and 1986.

12 > 4?

UPI = coaches poll, you have to throw UPI in there when counting AP and BCS. UPI and AP are historically the two most respected polls. I don't care who JoeBobHick.com retro-actively awarded a title to.

freshchris05
5/8/2006, 02:49 PM

12 > 4?

Theres 16 if you go through it all but they get the point... or not cuz it is texas... it all comes down to p**** envy... haha... texas might have big hands and big feet but they dont have the "national championships" to prove it haha!

BASSooner
5/8/2006, 02:49 PM
i HATE co-championships. I don't understand why the media thinks teams should split it up. It's completely stupid. Why not just have an additional game to see who wins it all? I feel sorry for everytime that has to be a co-champion(cept for saxet;))

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 02:51 PM
i HATE co-championships. I don't understand why the media thinks teams should split it up. It's completely stupid. Why not just have an additional game to see who wins it all? I feel sorry for everytime that has to be a co-champion(cept for saxet;))Agreed.

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 02:54 PM
UPI = coaches poll, you have to throw UPI in there when counting AP and BCS. UPI and AP are historically the two most respected polls. I don't care who JoeBobHick.com retro-actively awarded a title to.No retro and no JoeBobhick...here's one example...

Oklahoma: Berryman, DeVold, Dunkel, Football Research, NY Times, Sagarin
Penn St.: AP, Billingsley, FACT* (http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html#*), FB News, FW, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, Sporting News, UPI, USA/CNN

Since the only time OU played Penn State in 1986 OU won, it's interesting. No wonder the BCS was invented.

Herr Scholz
5/8/2006, 02:57 PM
Agreed.
Guess you don't want to count that split 1974 title then, huh? Or that '50 title where you lost your bowl game?

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 03:02 PM
Guess you don't want to count that split 1974 title then, huh? Or that '50 title where you lost your bowl game?C'mon, you know the deal about bowl games in the 50's and OU has the stronger claim to 1974, why would we give it up? Take them but then you have to give us about 5 more. Your choice.

Ohio St.: Matthews
Oklahoma: AP, Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT, FB News, Football Research, Helms* (http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html#*), Litkenhous, National Championship Foundation* (http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html#*), Poling, Sagarin
Southern California: FW, Helms* (http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html#*), National Championship Foundation* (http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html#*), NFF, UPI

King Crimson
5/8/2006, 03:03 PM
Since the only time OU played Penn State in 1986 OU won, it's interesting. No wonder the BCS was invented.

kinda hard to tell how you mean it, but we've played PSU at least 3 times. beat them in the Sugar Bowl with Greg Pruitt in 71 or 72 maybe?

interesting that Arkansas is #32.....try telling them that, though they can't normally count that high.

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 03:04 PM
kinda hard to tell how you mean it, but we've played PSU at least 3 times. beat them in the Sugar Bowl with Greg Pruitt in 71 or 72 maybe?

interesting that Arkansas is #32.....try telling them that, though they can't normally count that high.I mean, we actually played them in 1986 and won.

King Crimson
5/8/2006, 03:14 PM
I mean, we actually played them in 1986 and won.

gotcha. i watched that game on DVD over last Christmas at my relatives and man we were tough on D.

lufkinaggie07
5/8/2006, 03:21 PM
Determining the greatest football programs of all time is hard to do, I agree with most of the top ten except I would move tu out of the top ten and move Miami in it. I think LSU is too high at #17, but I could be wrong, its just based on what you think is important, I consider national titles very important, so I feel like those teams with the most should be in the top ten.

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 03:25 PM
Determining the greatest football programs of all time is hard to do, I agree with most of the top ten except I would move tu out of the top ten and move Miami in it. I think LSU is too high at #17, but I could be wrong, its just based on what you think is important, I consider national titles very important, so I feel like those teams with the most should be in the top ten.I agree, claiming the fact that you are one of the winningest programs (Volume and percentage) without the hardware is like, Pat Jones claiming to be the winningest coach in OSU history (which he is) without mentioning that he is also the losingist.

Herr Scholz
5/8/2006, 03:26 PM
I agree with most of the top ten except I would move tu out of the top ten...
:rolleyes:

Top 3 in all time wins behind Michigan and Notre Dame and 4 national titles puts us squarely in the top 10 all-time, Mr. Objective.

Herr Scholz
5/8/2006, 03:29 PM
C'mon, you know the deal about bowl games in the 50's and OU has the stronger claim to 1974, why would we give it up? Take them but then you have to give us about 5 more. Your choice.

And you know that deal about the bowl game in 1970. You're right, it's hard to agree on these hypotheticals. Why don't you just keep the trophies that say you've won 7 and we'll keep the trophies that tell us we've won 4. Mkay?

The most ridiculous thing you're trying to do is claim the UPI wasn't a legitimate organization which awarded national titles. I think the college football coaches would disagree with you.

silverwheels

Top 3 in all time wins behind Michigan and Notre Dame and 4 national titles puts us squarely in the top 10 all-time, Mr. Objective.

Hate to agree with a Horn, but that was a pretty dumb post. Wait, he is an Aggy, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Big Red Ron

Top 3 in all time wins behind Michigan and Notre Dame and 4 national titles puts us squarely in the top 10 all-time, Mr. Objective.I'd say marginally top ten (at #9). :twinkies:

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 03:32 PM
And you know that deal about the bowl game in 1970. You're right, it's hard to agree on these hypotheticals. Why don't you just keep the trophies that say you've won 7 and we'll keep the trophies that tell us we've won 4. Mkay?

The most ridiculous thing you're trying to do is claim the UPI wasn't a legitimate organization which awarded national titles. I think the college football coaches would disagree with you.Never said UPI didn't count but it wasn't ever considered as "legit" at the AP.

BASSooner
5/8/2006, 03:32 PM
you mean #10?

Herr Scholz
5/8/2006, 03:34 PM
I'd say marginally top ten (at #9). :twinkies:
4. University of Alabama

Who do you put at #s 7 an 8 in front of UT? You could argue the Buckeyes since they have 5 titles to our 4 but I don't see another team (of course we have more wins). I'd put UT 7th at best and 8th at worst all time.

But if you have an objective argument why you'd drop UT to #9, I'd like to hear it.

Herr Scholz
5/8/2006, 03:35 PM
Never said UPI didn't count but it wasn't ever considered as "legit" at the AP.
Yeah, you intimated exactly that, that our UPI title in 1970 didn't count by erroneously saying we only had 3 titles. You're wrong about that.

King Crimson
5/8/2006, 03:35 PM
Who do you put at #s 7 an 8 in front of UT?

Hawaii, apparently.

BASSooner
5/8/2006, 03:39 PM
Mid Northern Southeastern Maine State (MNSMSU)

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 03:40 PM
4. University of Alabama

Who do you put at #s 7 an 8 in front of UT? You could argue the Buckeyes since they have 5 titles to our 4 but I don't see another team (of course we have more wins). I'd put UT 7th at best and 8th at worst all time.

But if you have an objective argument why you'd drop UT to #9, I'd like to hear it.Penn State and Miami.

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 03:43 PM
Minnesota or tOSU?

Herr Scholz
5/8/2006, 04:01 PM
Penn State and Miami.
Miami has one more national title than UT but they're Johnny Come Latelies. They're 53rd in all-time wins. That discounts them.

Penn St. only has 2 national titles (vs. UT's 4). And Texas has more wins than them.

Minnesota has 6 titles from back in the 30s and 40s. They haven't won since 1960. I put UT ahead of them as well. And UT has more wins than them (they're 26th in all-time wins).

You could convince me that tOSU belongs on the all-time list in front of UT. Not those other three.

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 04:22 PM
It's all debatable when you get that far down the list. ;)

King Crimson
5/8/2006, 04:32 PM

good point.

Herr Scholz
5/8/2006, 04:33 PM
ZANG! :D

lufkinaggie07
5/8/2006, 04:35 PM
If you read my prior post carefully, you'll see that I said National Titles in MY opinion is the top priority in determining the top 10 greatest programs of all time. To my knowledge Miami has 5 and tu has 4, so thats why I would move Miami to the top ten and move tu out of it, based on the criteria of National Titles.

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 04:47 PM
ZANG! :D:D

XingTheRubicon
If you read my prior post carefully, you'll see that I said National Titles in MY opinion is the top priority in determining the top 10 greatest programs of all time. To my knowledge Miami has 5 and tu has 4, so thats why I would move Miami to the top ten and move tu out of it, based on the criteria of National Titles.

That's good enough for me

Herr Scholz
Lufkin, OK, so I assume you think Harvard, Princeton and Yale belong in the Top 10?

I think all-time wins is very relevant.

tbl
5/8/2006, 04:48 PM
I think tOSU, then saxeT, but it's pretty close.

and ditto on the Zing! :)

tbl
5/8/2006, 04:50 PM
BTW, I would flip USC and Bama... maybe even put USuC behind Nebbish...

King Crimson
5/8/2006, 04:54 PM
I think all-time wins is very relevant.

of course you do.

tnobis60
5/8/2006, 04:59 PM
The article was about top 10 college programs, not teams with most NCs, or teams with best wins or winning percentage. They both are a factor. I hope they factored in bowl wins, bowl appearances, conference championships, etc.

That is why Miami is not at the top of the list, they had a great run with 5 NCs, but over history, they were not consistent.

I don't agree with Yale or Princeton, I don't care how many wins they had back in the day.

Top programs are, in no particular order:

Notre Dame
USC
Texas
OU
Ohio State

everyone else is just pretending

Miami maybe, they are johnny-come-latelies

Herr Scholz
5/8/2006, 05:00 PM
of course you do.
We're talking about ALL TIME here. Because Miami had a great 20-year run doesn't make them top 10 in my book. They're not in the top 50 in wins. That just doesn't cut it for me. To me, top 10 teams should have staying power, consistency.

XingTheRubicon
5/8/2006, 05:03 PM
The article was about top 10 college programs, not teams with most NCs, or teams with best wins or winning percentage. They both are a factor. I hope they factored in bowl wins, bowl appearances, conference championships, etc.

That is why Miami is not at the top of the list, they had a great run with 5 NCs, but over history, they were not consistent.

I don't agree with Yale or Princeton, I don't care how many wins they had back in the day.

Notre Dame
USC
Texas
OU
Ohio State

Miami maybe, they are johnny-come-latelies

Nebraska>UT

Sincerely, Earth minus Texas...

In no particular order...

1. Notre Dame
2. Bammer
3. USC
4. OU
5. Nebbish

No one has UT in the top 5 of these type lists and I think the biggest reason for that is that they are not one of the best 5 programs.

Herr Scholz
5/8/2006, 05:05 PM
I would call UT a top ten program for sure, but not a top 5.

I would put Michigan in the top 5 over Nebraska though. Many more wins and 2 more national titles.

King Crimson
5/8/2006, 05:13 PM
We're talking about ALL TIME here. Because Miami had a great 20-year run doesn't make them top 10 in my book. They're not in the top 50 in wins. That just doesn't cut it for me. To me, top 10 teams should have staying power, consistency.

dude, did i post one thing about Miami? take the hook out yer mouth. i don't spend a lot of time thinking about OU's games against Chilocco Indian School or Kingfisher College or Norman high...but if it floats yer boat....cut off it's testicles and worship it.

:D

XingTheRubicon
5/8/2006, 05:17 PM
I would call UT a top ten program for sure, but not a top 5.

I would put Michigan in the top 5 over Nebraska though. Many more wins and 2 more national titles.

No not really.

Michigan's titles are fantasy before 1936 Disneyland titles.

UM won how many AP and UPI titles? 2?

Nebbish 5

Since 1960 UM 1 AP/UPI title, NU 5

NU>UM

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 05:18 PM

Notre Dame
USC
Texas
OU
Ohio State

Miami maybe, they are johnny-come-lateliesHow convenient for you to add UT in there with OU, ND and suc, while leaving out NU all of which are WAY higher than UT.

tbl
5/8/2006, 05:21 PM
No joke. He also left out Bama.

Herr is being completely realistic here. A rare trait in a whorn. ;)

lufkinaggie07
5/8/2006, 06:18 PM
Scholz, all time wins is important, but in my opinion not as much as national titles, tu has a good football program, just not top 10 in my opinion, I would stick tu at #11, but you can make the arguement that tu belongs in the top ten, and it's a good solid arguement, but to me, National Titles mean alot. I also understand that Miami is a "newcomer" who has alot of recent success, but the amount of success you have shouldn't be limited to the first 20 years of football or the last 20 years of football. Football has a long storied history, their have been great teams, in the 1800's and 1900's, and now in today's landscape of football. Now over the last ten years, I would say tu is a top five football program, I would put OU in the top 5 as well.

SicEmBaylor
5/8/2006, 06:21 PM
Scholz, all time wins is important, but in my opinion not as much as national titles, tu has a good football program, just not top 10 in my opinion, I would stick tu at #11, but you can make the arguement that tu belongs in the top ten, and it's a good solid arguement, but to me, National Titles mean alot. I also understand that Miami is a "newcomer" who has alot of recent success, but the amount of success you have shouldn't be limited to the first 20 years of football or the last 20 years of football. Football has a long storied history, their have been great teams, in the 1800's and 1900's, and now in today's landscape of football. Now over the last ten years, I would say tu is a top five football program, I would put OU in the top 5 as well.

I know that your indoctrination has been so successful to such an extent that you may implode or something if you refer to UT as UT rather than TU. However, when you're on an Oklahoma message board might I suggest not refering to the University of Texas as TU since its horribly insulting to the Golden Hurricanes of the University of Tulsa.

SicEmBaylor
5/8/2006, 06:27 PM
I'm not sure about Miami. When you say "Greatest Programs of All Time" there are many more factors involved than just the number of National Championships.

The problem for a school like Miami is all of their NC's have come in the last decade or two, and there has been a hell of a lot more than just two decades of college football.

The mark of a truly great all-time program is the ability to win national championships and have successful national contending teams over the span of many decade.

King Crimson
5/8/2006, 06:31 PM
the mark of a great all-time program is to win under different coaches....in different time periods and styles of play.

SicEmBaylor
5/8/2006, 06:34 PM
the mark of a great all-time program is to win under different coaches....in different time periods and styles of play.

Aye.

lufkinaggie07
5/8/2006, 06:40 PM
Did anyone else miss Baylor on the Top 50 greatest programs, I couldn't find them, I'll look again.

SicEmBaylor
5/8/2006, 06:43 PM
Did anyone else miss Baylor on the Top 50 greatest programs, I couldn't find them, I'll look again.

Did I miss someone from Baylor claiming to be a Top 50 greatest program?

Big Red Ron
5/8/2006, 06:57 PM
How aTm is in the top thirty is beyond me.

Geekboy
5/8/2006, 08:34 PM
I've always liked these guys rankings simply because where they put LSU however I think OU rated at 5 is to low.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/rankings/all_time_team_rankings.php

lufkinaggie07
5/8/2006, 08:39 PM
How aTm is in the top thirty is beyond me.
640 all time wins, 2 National Titles, 1 Heisman Trophy Winner, 19 Conference Titles, not top ten material, but I'll take it.

goingoneight
5/8/2006, 09:44 PM
I ain't queer, the steer is, mmm-huh...

crimson&cream
5/8/2006, 11:14 PM
How would you know that ..cpould you name them!Hook 'em.
This publication has been out for some time now. I mentioned it several months ago when were debating with Longwhorens who had a more prestigous program. This mag was published last Oct and OU isn't # 2 USuckC is ,OU is# 3.

BASSooner
5/8/2006, 11:26 PM
why don't you go crawl back to your little sink hole of delusional whorn fans called hornfans.com

crimson&cream
5/8/2006, 11:33 PM
In whats recognized as the modren era of FB starting after WWII 1945. OU leads the OU/Longwhoern series... moron, something like 29-28 -2Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em

crimson&cream
5/8/2006, 11:39 PM
why don't you go crawl back to your little sink hole of delusional whorn fans called hornfans.com
What do you expect when a poster uses a queer steer for a user name.LMAO.Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em

soonerhubs
5/9/2006, 12:21 AM
Soonerhubler's Humble Opine puts Oklahoma as the best football program of All time. Not too concerned with the other scrub schools trying to compare with Oklahoma. Just sayin...

Big Red Ron
5/9/2006, 12:33 AM
640 all time wins, 2 National Titles, 1 Heisman Trophy Winner, 19 Conference Titles, not top ten material, but I'll take it.Awe, look at the aggie strut.:D

GreaterState
5/9/2006, 01:24 AM

Since you feel so strongly about national titles, that would put A&M, let's see here ...

does their ranking still have two digits, or three?

One title in '39 is fading quickly into distant memory ...

Octavian
5/9/2006, 02:02 AM
How would you know that ..cpould you name them!Hook 'em.
This publication has been out for some time now. I mentioned it several months ago when were debating with Longwhorens who had a more prestigous program. This mag was published last Oct and OU isn't # 2 USuckC is ,OU is# 3.

Check out the second link of the first post of the thread. S&S revised their rankings due to flaws which, based on their formula, resulted in OU at 2 and USC at 3

Octavian
5/9/2006, 02:12 AM

Drunkenburger
JJ
Denis Ericksen
Coker

I understand the knock against Miami but the style of play changed several times between their first NC in 83 and their last in 01. They shocked the 83 Husker team, vanquished Oklahoma's Wishbone, humiliated Notre Dame, robbed Bobby Bowden of several NCs, hold a (IIRC) 57 home game winning streak during the period, and were home to 2 Heisman QBs . This all occurred in less than 2 decades in the most modern of CFB eras.

The Canes deserve a Top 10 placement.

Now let me puke.

Octavian
5/9/2006, 02:19 AM

Notre Dame
USC
Texas
OU
Ohio State

For someone who picked a historical figure in their username, you sure missed the boat on the historical conversation.

Alabama and Nebraska behind tOSU and Texas? There maybe could be a weak case made for the Buckeyes (or, better yet....Michigan) over the Huskers...but Texas over the Tide?

You deserve a shoe-whipping.

Desert Sapper
5/9/2006, 06:25 AM
Drunkenburger
JJ
Denis Ericksen
Coker

I understand the knock against Miami but the style of play changed several times between their first NC in 83 and their last in 01. They shocked the 83 Husker team, vanquished Oklahoma's Wishbone, humiliated Notre Dame, robbed Bobby Bowden of several NCs, hold a (IIRC) 57 home game winning streak during the period, and were home to 2 Heisman QBs . This all occurred in less than 2 decades in the most modern of CFB eras.

The Canes deserve a Top 10 placement.

Now let me puke.

I concur, and I really, really, really HATE Meeahmee. It's a little silly to not include them in the Top 10, given their track record over the last 23+ years. Muck Fiami, but give their program the respect it is due. 5 titles with 4 coaches in less than 20 years. That's pretty impressive. Even more impressive is the way Schnellenf**er completely 180'd the program in the late '70s and early '80s. Before that they might as well have been Northwestern or K-State.

Sooner in Tampa
5/9/2006, 07:06 AM
I have to disagree about Miami being Top 10. They had a great 20 year run and all, but look at the schools on the list. These are storied programs with LONG standing tradition. I think they deserve to be in the top 15, but I would hold off on putting them in the top 10. In time, I am sure they will be there though.

Herr Scholz
5/9/2006, 09:44 AM
640 all time wins, 2 National Titles, 1 Heisman Trophy Winner, 19 Conference Titles, not top ten material, but I'll take it.
You're claiming 1919 as your 2nd national title (along with 1939)? A little thin, no? Harvard and Illinois can also claim that year since no national trophies were awarded then. Retroactive titles.

Most teams could claim more of these revisionist titles than they were actually awarded.

BASSooner
5/9/2006, 10:16 AM
Dude it's ok. He's an aggie. Let him cherish the moment...

soonerjoker
5/9/2006, 10:32 AM
has OU played psu only twice ??? that's all i remember.

after the 71 season & after the 85 season. that's the only game in 86 & would count against the 85 (nc) season.

Herr Scholz
5/9/2006, 10:47 AM
has OU played psu only twice ??? that's all i remember.

after the 71 season & after the 85 season. that's the only game in 86 & would count against the 85 (nc) season.
That's correct. Both in bowl games. Here's a good website to find head to head series records of teams:

http://www.mcubed.net/ncaaf/series/series.htm

Big Red Ron
5/9/2006, 11:08 AM
Twice, correct. I can still see Lydell Carr busting toward the end zone in the 86 Orange Bowl. The clincher.My memory is of that "classy" Joe Paterno crying, yelling and throwing his hat at the officials and his team every five minutes. Class. Act.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/9/2006, 01:40 PM
You're claiming 1919 as your 2nd national title (along with 1939)? A little thin, no? Harvard and Illinois can also claim that year since no national trophies were awarded then. Retroactive titles.

Most teams could claim more of these revisionist titles than they were actually awarded.

I sure hope lufkinaggy isn't.

I have in my possesion an ESPN 2005 Sports Almanac. Not to say that ESPN has the "final word" on NCs, especially the mythological retroactive ones back before color was invented ;) but in 1919 it lists 3 teams with claims to a NC.

Harvard 9-0-1 who beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl CFRA (College Research Foundation co-champ and Helms Athletic Foundation Champ

Illinois 6-1 Co-CFRA Champ No Bowl

Notre Dame 9-0 (with a coach named Knute Rockne and a HB named Gipp, I hate ND but I think you've probably heard of the story) NCF National Championship Foundation Champs

aTm was 4-0 in 1919. If lufkinaggie is pimping a title for a 4-0 record in 1919 then aggie deserves Nick Zepp recognition.

Tear Down This Wall
5/9/2006, 01:51 PM
Here are the major problems I see with this kind of thing:

(1) Yale and Princeton are not I-A schools and haven't been for years. Including them with I-A schools is completely gay, but not unexpected. The faggot yankee editors who assembled the thing probably made sure those two jokes were in.

(2) The national championships awarded pre-1936 are an even bigger joke than the modern day split title. All of those "national championships" Alabama and Michigan claim were awarded by a journalist doing his own statistical calculations in the early to mid 1930s! So decades after these season, and with no outside input, this guy just arbitrarily decides that according to his math, these guys are national champions. It is THE gayest thing by far about "national championships" in college football.

Plastic crab-eating rump-jousters.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/9/2006, 02:13 PM
Here are the major problems I see with this kind of thing:

(1) Yale and Princeton are not I-A schools and haven't been for years. Including them with I-A schools is completely gay, but not unexpected. The faggot yankee editors who assembled the thing probably made sure those two jokes were in.

(2) The national championships awarded pre-1936 are an even bigger joke than the modern day split title. All of those "national championships" Alabama and Michigan claim were awarded by a journalist doing his own statistical calculations in the early to mid 1930s! So decades after these season, and with no outside input, this guy just arbitrarily decides that according to his math, these guys are national champions. It is THE gayest thing by far about "national championships" in college football.

Plastic crab-eating rump-jousters.

I agree and while I think a team like Notre Dame in 1924 that went undefeated with the Four Horsemen or Cal in 1920 who went undefeated and then beat Ohio St 28-0 in the Rose Bowl are both probably "legit" champions it gets fishy a lot of years. Though I wonder what OU didn't do in 1954 first of all after beating #1 Maryland in the Orange Bowl and then going 10-0 the following year and finishing #3.

Bama and USC are generally the biggest at pimping totally fictional titles. I think the AP titles pre-BCS and BCS titles are the only ones that someone can claim without getting a serious snicker from fans of an opposing school.

Octavian
5/9/2006, 02:16 PM
Bama and USC are generally the biggest at pimping totally fictional titles. I think the AP titles pre-BCS and BCS titles are the only ones that someone can claim without getting a serious snicker from fans of an opposing school.

If you ever cruise on the Michigan boards, many of their fans claim 11 NCs.

...including three from the late 19th Century. seriously.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/9/2006, 02:29 PM
If you ever cruise on the Michigan boards, many of their fans claim 11 NCs.

...including three from the late 19th Century. seriously.

I haven't but that is pretty pathetic.

I would doubt that most Michigan fans would acknowledge those titles, let alone a Michigan St or Ohio St fan.

By that same criteria we could claim at least 10 titles, maybe 14 or 15 but it would be just as silly.

Herr Scholz
5/9/2006, 03:04 PM
I think the AP titles pre-BCS and BCS titles are the only ones that someone can claim without getting a serious snicker from fans of an opposing school.
I think that's a little unfair. The AP started awarding titles in '36. The UPI Coach's Poll (which became the USA Today Poll in '91) began in '50. Perhaps not as prestigious as the AP title, the UPI title has long been recognized as a legitimate claim to a national title. Just for fun, I did some research and found 10 split titles pre-BCS (including one for OU). Are you saying that all of these UPI teams don't have legitimate claims to these titles?

AP, UPI
Year

54 tOSU, UCLA
57 Auburn, tOSU
65 Bama, Mich St.
70 Nebraska, UT
73 Notre Dame, Bama
74 OU, USC
78 Bama, USC
90 Colorado, G Tech
91 Miami, Wash.
97 Mich., Nebraska

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/polls_1936_present.html

crimson&cream
5/9/2006, 05:53 PM
Check out the second link of the first post of the thread. S&S revised their rankings due to flaws which, based on their formula, resulted in OU at 2 and USC at 3
I have thier published book that most evryone will see of the two, and OU is 3rd.:confused: I checked it out and your absolutely correct. To bad they didn't catch the error's before publication. I'm printing off that correction notation and putting inside my book.

TopDawg
5/9/2006, 06:13 PM
I'm disappointed that this Miami v. Texas debate has gone on so long without

http://www.well.com/~bparnes/Miami-Texas.gif

melbitoast
5/9/2006, 09:18 PM
I cannot believe Army was not included on this list. If Yale and Princeton were included on this for their early century dominance, Army most certainly should have been added for their early/mid century dominance.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/10/2006, 10:18 AM
I think that's a little unfair. The AP started awarding titles in '36. The UPI Coach's Poll (which became the USA Today Poll in '91) began in '50. Perhaps not as prestigious as the AP title, the UPI title has long been recognized as a legitimate claim to a national title. Just for fun, I did some research and found 10 split titles pre-BCS (including one for OU). Are you saying that all of these UPI teams don't have legitimate claims to these titles?

AP, UPI
Year

54 tOSU, UCLA
57 Auburn, tOSU
65 Bama, Mich St.
70 Nebraska, UT
73 Notre Dame, Bama
74 OU, USC
78 Bama, USC
90 Colorado, G Tech
91 Miami, Wash.
97 Mich., Nebraska

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/polls_1936_present.html

The UPI carries more weight than the retro polls but I think not all but in most cases the UPI was off base and so I don't think it is as valid as the AP.

1974 USC was UPI champ because UPI did not allow voting for OU because they were on NCAA probation. OU was 11-0 after being 10-0-1 in 73 (BTW ND was #3 before the bowls and beat #1 Alabama, OU without a bowl was #2 before and after the bowls. USC was 10-1-1. That is not a real split title in my book.

1957 Auburn was 10-0 won AP title, Ohio St was 8-1 awarded UPI title. ??

1970 Nebraska was 11-0-1 won AP title. Texas was the #1 in the AP until they lost to Notre Dame 24-11 in the Cotton bowl and finished 3rd. The UPI apparently didn't get the word and awarded Tex the national title. WTF?

1973 Notre Dame beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. ND got AP title, Alabama got the UPI title. HOW LEGIT IS THAT?

The others look legit enough to me.

Believe me I don't think that a bunch of sportwriters are infallible but pre-BCS they pretty much got it right.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/10/2006, 11:09 AM
4. University of Alabama

But if you have an objective argument why you'd drop UT to #9, I'd like to hear it.Pffft. GARA

Herr Scholz
5/10/2006, 11:14 AM
1957 Auburn was 10-0 won AP title, Ohio St was 8-1 awarded UPI title. ??

1970 Nebraska was 11-0-1 won AP title. Texas was the #1 in the AP until they lost to Notre Dame 24-11 in the Cotton bowl and finished 3rd. The UPI apparently didn't get the word and awarded Tex the national title. WTF?

1973 Notre Dame beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. ND got AP title, Alabama got the UPI title. HOW LEGIT IS THAT?

The UPI awarded the title before the bowl games back then. Bowl games weren't as important as they are now. Not all teams even played in them. They were viewed as more of a fun trip.

5/10/2006, 11:19 AM
Soonerhubler's Humble Opine puts Oklahoma as the best football program of All time. Not too concerned with the other scrub schools trying to compare with Oklahoma. Just sayin...Now we're talkin' straight skinnies.

5/10/2006, 11:23 AM
My memory is of that "classy" Joe Paterno crying, yelling and throwing his hat at the officials and his team every five minutes. Class. Act.I went to that game. You are right, and the Penn St fans were the most arrogant jerks I've ever seen at a football game. Of course, I'm sure they MUST have some well-behaved fans, somewhere, but they didn't seem to be at that game.

crimson&cream
5/10/2006, 11:27 PM
Pffft. GARA
Yourasking us Okies that. well it's because thats just a fair ranking and we hate Longwhoren'sHook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em

Coloradosker
5/11/2006, 09:49 AM
Here's an interesting look at things. All time AP #1 rankings.
http://www.kickoffzone.com/default.aspx?page=article&article=179

Big Red Ron
5/11/2006, 11:58 AM
Here's an interesting look at things. All time AP #1 rankings.
http://www.kickoffzone.com/default.aspx?page=article&article=179Yeah, I like the part where were ranked 25 more times than NU at #1.

Herr Scholz
5/11/2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I like the part where were ranked 25 more times than NU at #1.
More evidence that UT is a top 10 team all time.

Hey, Ron, still want to put Miami, Penn St. or Minnesota in front of the Horns? Minnesota's a little hard to find (#44 on that list). ;)

Big Red Ron
5/11/2006, 01:10 PM
More evidence that UT is a top 10 team all time.

Hey, Ron, still want to put Miami, Penn St. or Minnesota in front of the Horns? Minnesota's a little hard to find (#44 on that list). ;)well, Miami has been ranked 26 times more than UT as #1. That poll would look very different if you sorted by # of times ranked number one. Then ut doesn't look so hot.

CrimsonChampion
5/12/2006, 02:49 PM
I just don't know how anyone can have OU ranked lower than #3 all time.
Miami's 5 titles is impressive since they started at 1980, same with usc's 7 starting in the 70's. You just can't forget we have the greatest winning streak of all time, 7 national championships, and plenty of N championship appearances to go with.

IMO, OU and usc are tied for 2nd greatest programs of all time. Once we get our 8th title we'll be tied with the irish for greatest all time programs, and wouldn't it be awesome to see a showdown between us and the damers to see who becomes the all time greatest? I think that would go down as the greatest national championship game of all time.

Some people bring up the split champions between us and usc in 74 or 75, can't remember which one it was, but we were on probation that year and had no t.v. rights due to probation i believe, otherwise we would've been the undisputed champions. I predict 2 $ooner national championships within the next 4 years, or atleast 2 appearances and 1 title.

Got 7?

Herr Scholz
5/12/2006, 03:07 PM
I predict 2 $ooner national championships within the next 4 years, or atleast 2 appearances and 1 title.
You're selling your team short. Real Sooner fans predict a national championship EVERY year. ;)

CrimsonChampion
5/12/2006, 03:12 PM
hahaha very true, I expect to be in contention every year, with the exception of the years when we're young like last season. Point well taken though!

Jello Biafra
5/12/2006, 05:20 PM
You're selling your team short. Real Sooner fans predict a national championship EVERY year. ;)

and could actually be there......

not only have we won more ncs than you guys but we've lost more national title games than you guys have even played in.

when we've played in 15 or 16 ncs in the last 50, you kinda expect to be ther e dontcha think?

but, all of that aside, ya'll shut up.....i am waiting to see what nick has to say about the subject.