PDA

View Full Version : Don't run away from OU cops, they'll shoot you...

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2006, 11:06 AM
OU Cop shoots run away car thief... (http://newsok.com/article/1837787/?template=home/main)

Nothing about the guy pointing a gun at the cop or nothing...

yermom
5/8/2006, 11:09 AM
"The two men got in some type of physical altercation," Phillips said. The fleeing man was shot multiple times but managed to run away and jump a fence, Phillips said.

doesn't sound that crazy... the guy probably went for his gun or something

1stTimeCaller
5/8/2006, 11:10 AM
can someone post the article. I don't wanna register.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2006, 11:14 AM
Just sign up and make up some names. I usually use Mack Yellowteeth or Eddie Sutton Loves Booze...as my names.

I couldn't cut and paste the article, sorry.

yermom
5/8/2006, 11:15 AM
Fleeing man shot by off-duty officer

By Jim Epperson III
The Oklahoman

A man accused of speeding and leaving the scene of an accident was shot multiple times by an off-duty officer Sunday afternoon in northwest Oklahoma City, officials said.

Show Video

The officer involved in the shooting -- an off-duty University of Oklahoma police officer -- was "detained" and being interviewed by city homicide detectives, city police Sgt. Charles Phillips said.

The man who was shot was in critical condition Sunday evening at an area hospital, Phillips said.

The events leading to the shooting evolved after an Oklahoma City motorcycle police officer clocked the man driving 20 mph over the speed limit in the southbound lanes of the Broadway Extension and began chasing him.

Phillips described the events this way:

The pursuit ended when the man crashed his car in a construction zone, just north of NW 63.

The man fled west from the accident scene on foot.

The off-duty university police officer also witnessed the accident and saw the man running away. The officer chased him in his vehicle to NW 67 and Harvey Avenue.

"The two men got in some type of physical altercation," Phillips said. The fleeing man was shot multiple times but managed to run away and jump a fence, Phillips said.

An Oklahoma City police officer and his K-9 partner found the man nearby a half-hour later, Phillips said.

The OU officer -- whom Phillips declined to name -- was being held for questioning by investigators from Oklahoma City's homicide unit, Phillips said.

"Any time we have an officer-involved shooting, the homicide unit takes over," he said.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2006, 11:15 AM
doesn't sound that crazy... the guy probably went for his gun or something

Missed that before, I thought the other cop was in the altercation and the OU cop was shooting at the guy. KTOK says the guy has been downgraded.

LilSooner
5/8/2006, 11:30 AM
Since when does OU allow their cops carry guns? Aren't they just glorified parking nazis?

yermom
5/8/2006, 12:24 PM
the parking Nazis are a different group

Hamhock
5/8/2006, 12:30 PM
The fleeing man was shot multiple times but managed to run away and jump a fence, Phillips said.

Surely he was given this label because the fled the scene earlier and not because he was fleeing when he was actually shot? Shirley??

yermom
5/8/2006, 12:30 PM
yeah, i'm not sure

and don't call me Shirley

jk the sooner fan
5/8/2006, 12:35 PM
sigh........

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2006, 12:36 PM
Shirley,
KTOK (love streaming audio...) says that the guy was in the woods running away from OU cop when OU cop shot the guy multiple times. The radio report didn't say there was an altercation or if the fleeing guy had a weapon...

jk the sooner fan
5/8/2006, 12:39 PM
why not wait for all the facts before making sweeping generalizations?

oh wait, its a cop we're talking about...carry on with the lynching

Hamhock
5/8/2006, 12:41 PM
Roger

That ain't good.

Hamhock
5/8/2006, 12:42 PM

I agree. No way, this cop just starts poppin' caps in the dude as he is running away.

LilSooner
5/8/2006, 12:47 PM
No one has answered my original question. Since when did the OU police start carrying guns?

I didn't even think they were real cops only like mall security.

Octavian
5/8/2006, 12:48 PM
Haven't we had the 'cops shooting a fleeing man' conversation before?

the parking Nazis are a different group

:mad:

these people deserve a special place in hades

hurricane'bone
5/8/2006, 12:51 PM
Training & Jurisdiction
Authorized by Oklahoma law, the University Police Division is an independent law enforcement agency whose officers are commissioned by the OU Board of Regents and certified by the Oklahoma Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training. OUPD functions separately from all other law enforcement agencies, although agreements have been made whereby assistance or mutual aid may be obtained in emergencies.

OUDP officers are available 24 hours a day, year-round. They are trained and certified as peace officers under Oklahoma state statutes, and many OU officers have received specialized training in areas of law enforcement and related fields.

OU police officers have jurisdiction on all university property and "territory adjacent thereto." They are authorized to conduct traffic enforcement on campus and on streets peripheral to campus, to conduct follow-up investigations and serve arrest warrants issued as a result of completed investigations at off-campus locations, and to exercise police authority or take action as appropriate for criminal offenses observed by them while on or off university property.

OUPD also employs CSOs (Community Service Officers) who are trained to perform specific functions that do not require the presence of a commissioned police officer. These unformed officers are not sworn, commissioned or armed. They do, however, have the authority to enforce university regulations and can make citizen's arrests. Persons interested in employment at OUPD as a police officer, community service officer, or other position, should contact OUPD Administrative Services, at 325-2864, or by e-mail at OUPD ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES. Please include your name and email address, or U.S. mail address, with any inquiry.

Requests for service are assigned and response made on a priority basis, whith emergencies receiving immediate attention. If your situation is urgent, please advise the dispatcher when calling.

Questions about OUPD should be referred to Chief Liz Woollen, at 325-2864, or by e-mail at OUPD CHIEF.

http://www.ou.edu/oupd/intro.htm

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2006, 12:52 PM
No one has answered my original question. Since when did the OU police start carrying guns?

OU Police are officially like State Patrol. They do carry guns, the parking enforcement people are usually students paid to walk around and write tickets. They don't carry guns. OU Police do.

JK, who are you talking about. I have tried to be fair and balanced in my comments. I am not one to think off the bat, the cop is wrong. I do find it interesting and the radio report I heard made it sound as if the cop was busting caps left and right to bring the guy down before he gets lost in the woods. I doubt if that is the case...but I haven't known OU Police to be necessarily the "finest".

Osce0la
5/8/2006, 12:56 PM
Fleeing man shot by off-duty officer

By Jim Epperson III
The Oklahoman

A man accused of speeding and leaving the scene of an accident was shot multiple times by an off-duty officer Sunday afternoon in northwest Oklahoma City, officials said.

Show Video

The officer involved in the shooting -- an off-duty University of Oklahoma police officer -- was "detained" and being interviewed by city homicide detectives, city police Sgt. Charles Phillips said.

The man who was shot was in critical condition Sunday evening at an area hospital, Phillips said.

The events leading to the shooting evolved after an Oklahoma City motorcycle police officer clocked the man driving 20 mph over the speed limit in the southbound lanes of the Broadway Extension and began chasing him.

Phillips described the events this way:

The pursuit ended when the man crashed his car in a construction zone, just north of NW 63.

The man fled west from the accident scene on foot.

The off-duty university police officer also witnessed the accident and saw the man running away. The officer chased him in his vehicle to NW 67 and Harvey Avenue.

An Oklahoma City police officer and his K-9 partner found the man nearby a half-hour later, Phillips said.

The OU officer -- whom Phillips declined to name -- was being held for questioning by investigators from Oklahoma City's homicide unit, Phillips said.

"Any time we have an officer-involved shooting, the homicide unit takes over," he said.
I keep clicking show video, but all it does is highlight the words...I don't think your link works :D

KABOOKIE
5/8/2006, 12:57 PM

Yeah, let’s not shoot first and ask questions later. Good advice. ;)

C&CDean
5/8/2006, 12:59 PM
The only sad thing about this story is that the perp's family is gonna get a lot of $$ from some PD. I saw it on TV, and dude looked to be black. I'm sure the cop was white. Therefore, some two-bit lawyer is also gonna play the race card. Anybody wanna bet?

Sooner in Tampa
5/8/2006, 01:03 PM
The only sad thing about this story is that the perp's family is gonna get a lot of $$ from some PD. I saw it on TV, and dude looked to be black. I'm sure the cop was white. Therefore, some two-bit lawyer is also gonna play the race card. Anybody wanna bet?No Sir, that sure money.

Jimminy Crimson
5/8/2006, 01:13 PM
Anyone on campus next year should make a shirt with HEY OUPD on the front and ...DON'T SHOOT! on the back. :texan:

GottaHavePride
5/8/2006, 01:21 PM

It also said he was off-duty, and the shooting was in NW OKC. This is a concealed-carry state, and I'm betting nearly every cop in the state has a carry permit for when they're off duty. I would have been more surprised if he didn't have a gun.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2006, 01:25 PM
Bascially, if you can pass the Law Enforcement Shooting course, you get your conceal carry. I'm guessing anyone with a badge and a gun has passed this test and therefore can conceal carry given the paper work is completed.

I had a friend who worked for the OK Dept. of Labor. He was a concealed carry as he was considered an officer of the court. He had to pass the shooting test.

Hatfield
5/8/2006, 01:28 PM
what is an off duty OU Cop doing in the OKC strapped for bizness?

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2006, 01:28 PM
The only sad thing about this story is that the perp's family is gonna get a lot of $$ from some PD. I saw it on TV, and dude looked to be black. I'm sure the cop was white. Therefore, some two-bit lawyer is also gonna play the race card. Anybody wanna bet?

Yeah, doesn't matter you stole a car, drove wrecklessly through town, broke speed laws, fought with one officer and ran away, refused a lawful order to stop, resisted arrest and then fled from a felony. Naw, it'll all go by the wayside if the RACE CARD is played...

Get out prosecution immediately...

ultimatesooner1
5/8/2006, 01:30 PM
an OSUcks cop would have just picked him up, handed him his bottle and sent him on his way

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2006, 02:14 PM
an OSUcks cop would have just picked him up, handed him his bottle and sent him on his way

Probably driven behind him to see if he gets where he was going...;)

LilSooner
5/8/2006, 03:10 PM
what is an off duty OU Cop doing in the OKC strapped for bizness?

Because he can?

JK I thought these were the crackers that come and do dorm checks. I didn't realize that they were actually "real" cops.

Jimminy Crimson
5/8/2006, 03:13 PM
JK I thought these were the crackers that come and do dorm checks. I didn't realize that they were actually "real" cops.

Yeah, cracker CSO's suck.

yermom
5/8/2006, 03:16 PM
i knew a few of them, most, if not all of them were students

the RAs were more annoying than the CSOs