PDA

View Full Version : Either OR

tnobis60
5/8/2006, 09:03 AM
If OU loses to the Ducks, and i'm not saying they will, but "if" they do but sitll beat Texas, however, then lose to Tech. Is that better than losing to Texas and no one else?

would OU fans rather beat Texas and have a 2 loss season or lose to Texas and have a 1 loss season?

Okay, i know most people on here will say lose to no one, and have a 0 loss season. Yes we would all like to run the table. but i'm trying to play devils advocate.

Sooner in Tampa
5/8/2006, 09:39 AM
That is a pretty stupid question...the answer is to beat saxeT. PERIOD!!!!

OUDoc
5/8/2006, 09:47 AM
As much as my pride might be hurt, a 1-loss season is better than a 2-loss season, even if it is texas.

Besides, we owe Tech a major-league ***-whipping after last year's BS.

XingTheRubicon
5/8/2006, 09:54 AM
Deciding how many losses would be preferable is kind of a Texas thing.

yermom
5/8/2006, 09:58 AM
we aren't Pokes ;)

is it good or bad that we got beat by the National Champs the last 3 years?

sooneron
5/8/2006, 10:00 AM
I guess nobis thinks we're aggy or something.

The Consumate Showman
5/8/2006, 10:06 AM
Pokes worry about who they are going to lose to....we worry about how bad of an azz kicking we're going to put on prospective teams.....I'm saying we surprise the nation on Oct. 7 and blow out UT 45-10. The next two teams on our radar's should be Baylor and Tech. Baylor just to show them that they can't hang with a team headed by AD and Tech for the obvious reasons....Then, okie light will yet again get their azzez handed to them by AD for a great regualr season and hesiman campaign capper....

stonecoldsoonerfan
5/8/2006, 10:26 AM
but i'm trying to play devils advocate.

horns ARE the devil. Hook 'em :mack:

Bevo-Stevo
5/8/2006, 12:26 PM
I'm saying we surprise the nation on Oct. 7 and blow out UT 45-10

Man it's going to fun after coming back from Dallas on Oct. 8th to see the total meltdown you folks will be be going thru. There is absolutely no way in hell, or any other place for that matter, that ou scores 45 on UT's defense or even sniffs close to it. Texas 27 - ou 10. Have a good one.

Sooner in Tampa
5/8/2006, 12:35 PM
Man it's going to fun after coming back from Dallas on Oct. 8th to see the total meltdown you folks will be be going thru. There is absolutely no way in hell, or any other place for that matter, that ou scores 45 on UT's defense or even sniffs close to it. Texas 27 - ou 10. Have a good one.We shall see how is having a meltdown on Oct 8th.

Me thinks you have been hitting the sauce too hard. :eddie:

tnobis60
5/8/2006, 12:54 PM
I ask an honest question, and all i get is We are the best, we win by a million in every game. You might want to take off the crimson glasses once in a while.

Yes, i do consider the competition, and think about who we might lose to, who we should not lose to, etc. It is called being realistic. Last year, I thought if we beat Ohio State, then we would have a good chance of running the table, but I didn't think it was a given, nor did I think OU was a given. I hope we win, and cheer for my team, but anything can happen.

I'm sure most people on this board believed last year that AD was going to carry the team and end up in the Rose Bowl. Except, that did not happen, because AD got hurt. So without AD, your team is nothing?

Everyone wants to say that UT is nothing without VY, well, this season will answer that question. I don't think it is, but it will be settled on the field.

I would rather lose to Ohio St and Tech, than lose to OU. However if OU is undeafeated at the end of the year, I would rather lose to just OU.

tbl
5/8/2006, 12:55 PM
Did saxeT not have a good Defense in 2001 or 2003? I thought they did... yet you saw what happened.

leavingthezoo
5/8/2006, 01:05 PM
i'll go with one loss over two no matter who that loss is to. even satan himself.

GottaHavePride
5/8/2006, 01:32 PM
Exactly. 1 loss is better than two.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/8/2006, 02:07 PM
Well in most scenario's you would throw at me I'd always take 1 loss, regardless of who it is to over 2 losses.

There is at least one difference, maybe 2 and I don't believe my thinking is that unique:

We all HOPE for OU to go undefeated and win the title every year even when Jonard Schnellblaker is the coach. Basically the goals are win the Big 12 south, win the Big 12, win the NC.

Option A: OU loses only 1 game (to Hook 'em ) and Hook 'em wins the Big 12 Championship, OU gets at large bid to BCS game. There are at least two undefeated teams so 1 loss means no BCS championship.

Option B: OU loses 3 games (to Hook 'em and say Oregon and MU ) but Hook 'em loses 2 other games or at least one that gives OU the tiebreaker. OU plays and wins Big 12 championship and gets BCS bowl.

Option C: See 2001, OU beats Hook 'em but loses 2 other conf games and no Big 12 championship or BCS bowl.

Option D: OU loses to Hook 'em and OSU (ouch) but Hook 'em and OSU have at least 2 losses as well and in a big tiebreaker OU wins the south and plays in and wins Big 12 championship.

In those scenarios option B & D with 2 losses look better to me and option B is with 3 losses. You could make a case for A.

Bottom line though is that 75% of the time the Red River Shootout is by far the biggest game of the year.

arlington
5/8/2006, 02:14 PM
Tnobis i like your commentary and how objective you are with your posts..I take offense that without AD last year we were nothing..Perhaps more important than missing AD, we were young at a ton of places and not very deep at others so that was more a problem than missing AD..In 2003 without AD but with experience everywhere, we were undefeated in the conference and played for the national championship..Still we ended 8-4 last year and won 6 of our last 7 hardly an embarrassing year while playing the toughest schedule and the most freshmen in the nation..

Noone says that UT is going to suck without VY..Quite the contrary, UT will still be very good and probably wont lose 4 games like we did last year, but the fear factor from opponents that VY brought on will be missing as well as the confidence that VY can bail UT out of anything will be missing from the Horns..This alone evens things up between the 2 teams in the intangibles department.. I would take a 2 loss season as long as 1 of the losses isnt UT..What would YOU consider a good season? Would you take 2 losses and a win over OU or 1 loss with that being to OU?

tnobis60
5/8/2006, 02:22 PM
I was not saying that OU was nothing without AD, i was comparing that to saying UT is nothing without VY. Yes they are both great players and add that special something that a team has to gameplan for.

As sad as this makes me to say, I think i would take a 1 loss season with a loss to OU, because nationally, OU and TX are the only two schools that recieve any respect, and if our only loss was to OU, then it would not hurt as much. However, if OU lost like 4 games, I would not want to lose to OU, i would rather lose to OSU and Tech.

picasso
5/8/2006, 02:23 PM
Pokes worry about who they are going to lose to....we worry about how bad of an azz kicking we're going to put on prospective teams.....I'm saying we surprise the nation on Oct. 7 and blow out UT 45-10. The next two teams on our radar's should be Baylor and Tech. Baylor just to show them that they can't hang with a team headed by AD and Tech for the obvious reasons....Then, okie light will yet again get their azzez handed to them by AD for a great regualr season and hesiman campaign capper....
you might want to wait and see what kind of team we field before we start making those kinds of statements.
I'm very confident in our defense and skill positions. offensive line and special teams, not so much.
I still think we're a year away from being a powerhouse.

picasso
5/8/2006, 02:25 PM
I ask an honest question, and all i get is We are the best, we win by a million in every game. You might want to take off the crimson glasses once in a while.

Yes, i do consider the competition, and think about who we might lose to, who we should not lose to, etc. It is called being realistic. Last year, I thought if we beat Ohio State, then we would have a good chance of running the table, but I didn't think it was a given, nor did I think OU was a given. I hope we win, and cheer for my team, but anything can happen.

I'm sure most people on this board believed last year that AD was going to carry the team and end up in the Rose Bowl. Except, that did not happen, because AD got hurt. So without AD, your team is nothing?

Everyone wants to say that UT is nothing without VY, well, this season will answer that question. I don't think it is, but it will be settled on the field.

I would rather lose to Ohio St and Tech, than lose to OU. However if OU is undeafeated at the end of the year, I would rather lose to just OU.

there's only been 8 replies. lighten up Francis.
I'd rather just lose one game regardless of who it's against. and we weren't just a one man team. in case you missed our victories without AD last season.

Scott D
5/8/2006, 03:48 PM
So the choice is between 2 losses but beating Texas or 1 loss and that being to Texas?

Anyone with a brain would choose 1 loss. Anyone who is obsessed would strongly consider the 2 loss season before figuring out that the 1 loss would be acceptable because it's well...1 loss.

FWIW, the RRS will likely be more like a 31-21(24/28) win.

OUstud
5/8/2006, 04:20 PM
Let's just not lose.

BASSooner
5/8/2006, 04:34 PM
Let's just not lose.
GENIUS!!

lufkinaggie07
5/8/2006, 04:38 PM
Although I do think you'll beat tu in Dallas this year, I don't think you'll come out of Kyle with a win, this being Bohmar's first time in Kyle Field, just my opinion, but I still think OU wins the Big 12, imo.

TheGodfather889
5/8/2006, 04:49 PM
I'd take a 2 loss season and beat Texas.

arlington
5/8/2006, 05:17 PM
Lufkin Aggie obviously its all speculation right now, but if your Aggie D doesnt improve substantially, Bomar isnt going to have to be "Great" to win there..The last 2 years some teams have gone into Kyle field and won so the Kyle Field hex may be over until your team gets better..Rhett played very well against a better Nebraska team and that was in Lincoln..

fossil
5/8/2006, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=tnobis60]I was not saying that OU was nothing without AD, i was comparing that to saying UT is nothing without VY. Yes they are both great players and add that special something that a team has to gameplan for.

:rolleyes: Just one little difference though nob. AD is back, VY ain't. Have a good year.

Vaevictis
5/8/2006, 06:26 PM
Beat Texas, especially if one of the two losses is non-conference.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/8/2006, 06:54 PM
Texas Tech is a team I look forward to his squashing.....Everybody down there is in denial....Leach, both of their fans.......After its over and Leach comes to shake hands at half time, I hope Stoops kicks him in the stomach and powerbombs him at the 50 yard line....sorry too much WWE..

BASSooner
5/8/2006, 07:19 PM
tech pass offense vs OUr pass defense=OU 50 tech 0 in the 1st quarter:D

goingoneight
5/8/2006, 09:38 PM
UAB = the game where we can make a few mistakes and utilize a boring offensive scheme, just to win, and to get the hang of things.

Washington = the chance to get some continuity on the defensive side of the ball. Every great defense, even OUr 2000 team needs time to get out on the field and jel together, some take a lil' longer than others, I think by third quarter, AD could break the DL wide open to put them away.

Oregon = In Eugene could or could not take all that we have just to hang with them. They will miss Ngata sorely, so don't expect Mike Bellotti to run a bootleg at all on us this season. If OU learns how to actually tackle scrambling quarterbacks, the Dux should be no prob by middle fourth quarter.

Middle Tenn = Maybe OUr only "Baylor" of 2006. No offense, of course Baylor.

Texass = The next step to building a champion, be it only BIG 12 or MNC caliber. I'll say it again to the hard-nosed Sooner-fans who think we're just invincible in Dallas. Chizik knows D, and is well on his way to a HC job in 2006 post-season. If Bomar can hold onto the ball (since OUr OL will still be green), and pass 50% or higher, the victory is OUrs. AD will be good as always barring no injury. But UT will stack up against him early on, and we probably won't see a great AD run until he wears them down. We ALL know he can (UT fans included). Look for a game that bring new meaning to the phrase "Shoot-Out." If OU plays like they did in the Holiday Bowl, given the improved defense we are expecting to have, score should look a little something like OU 24 UT 14.

Iowa State = Could be the very team that breaks an undefeated team if we enter so, since we don't seem to play well with the Texas-hangover (see OU-Texas hangover historic syndrome). It's in Norman, so hopefully we don't go into OT and have them handled early-on-- AS WE SHOULD.

Colorado = I've never hated the Buffs program, and I'm very optimistic of Dan Hawkins at CU. He, throughout spring coverage of the Buffs, seems like the perfect fit for CU. Once again, hopefully we can contain the opponent before double-overtime at this season's Homecoming. Especially since we'll have already played at home the previous week. :)

Misery = No Smith, no big deal. Defense should shine in this one.

aTm = They say the FRANchise is coming on strong, and ready foremost for UT and OU this year. An 0-6 record against them (OU and UT) eases any Sooner fan worries about that one. Kyle Field = pull your head out and play. In 2004, OU had to play the perfect game to only win by 7 points. Look OUt anytime you're at College Station.

Texas Tech = Brutal crowd keeps the team going strong. Even Mikey Leach won't see this one coming... If we are at full strength and potential by then, expect a series-high lopsided OU victory.

Baylor = Just might be onto something with Shawn Bell. Morriss is taking them in a positive direction, and they may be just as tough as any North opponent, Nebraska and Colorado included at Waco. Then again, AD will want to remind the Bears what he can do, since it's been a long two years! :) OU 35 BU 17

The dream season ends with AD beating OSU's precious 12-game rushing record at Stoolwater. But, let's be realistic. OU kicks their asses and AD breaks free for three long TD runs in '06. The look on their faces has been priceless, year in, year out since 2003. I'll just remember to put an OU sticker on an aggy car so they slash their own tires. OU 35 loSur 0

I'll post the championship result if my "dream" season comes true. :)

SoonerJedi
5/9/2006, 11:12 AM

I thought that if Texas didn't beat us last year, they'll never beat us. And yes, I felt Texas had a good chance at the NC and against USC, not because they were any better than the team we shutout in the Red River game the year before, but because USC struggled against running QBs, and their defense was decidedly down last year.

We had eight offensive starters leave, including the Heisman QB. AD was the only person with experience left on offense. Still I wouldn't call a win over the sixth rated team in the nation in the Holiday Bowl "nothing", but early on we did struggle until everyone got accumated. I don't think we would have lost to TCU or UNLV last year if those games had been played at the end of the year. We probably still were not as good as Texas was last year (ptewy - that hurts saying) but Texas was built for that one year. This year I think we are the better team, and I've noticed some sportswriters are agreeing. With equal talent, we always beat Texas.

Here's how Texas season wil spin out. Because they play a far weaker schedule than we tackld last year (they play a I-AA school for crying out loud!) they should have only 4 loses next year (plus perhaps the bowl game, depending on who they match up against).

Here is what your next year will look like.

Sept 2 - North Texas - Win- Record 1/0
Sept 9 - Ohio State - Lose - Record 1/1
Sept 16 - at Rice - Win - Record 2/1
Sept 23 - Iowa State - ?? (close W) Record 3/1
Sept 30 - Sam Houston State - Win (for cying out loud!) - Record 4/1
Oct 7 - Oklahoma - Lose - Record 4/2
Oct 14 - Baylor - Win - Record 5/2
Oct 21 - at Nebraska - Lose - Record 5/3
Oct 28- at Texas Tech - Lose - Record 5/4
Nov 4 - Oklahoma State - Win - Record 6/4
Nov 11 - at Kansas State - Win - Record 7/4
Nov 25 - Texas A&M - Win - Record 8/4

With an 8/4 record and 5/3 conference record, Texas will still get to go bowling ... as it would be inconceivable with this soft schedule that they miss going to a bowl game.

I predict Texas looses to all three, plus Nebraska in Lincoln.