PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful lost partial weekend in Edmond

tulsaoilerfan
5/7/2006, 02:23 PM
Went to Edmond to play a baseball tourney that was supposed to start on Sat; we went up on friday since we had an early Sat game, and of course it was raining; on Sat morning, we were told that they would make an announcement by 11; at 11, we were told wait until 1; at 1, they finally cancelled Sat but said they were wanting to play on Sunday and would announce by 8PM; the coach tried to call the tourney director and got nothing but an answering machine, so we all waited around until 8:45 only to finally find out that because of the number of teams that pulled out, plus the field conditions, the tourney was cancelled. In all my years of being involved with Conner's baseball, this was by far the WORST run tournament i have ever been to; some of us took trips out to the fields, and there wasn't anything that we saw that should have kept us from playing; a tournament director should be accessible in a situation like this to answer any questions a coach would have instead of relying on a damn answering machine and a rainout message; i can guarantee that this tournament will never see our team again, and i'm sure there are several others from out of town that are thinking the same thing.

John:mad: :mad:

Newbomb Turk
5/7/2006, 03:23 PM
One more reason to be a lazy bum like me. Weather conditions are always perfect on the sofa.

william_brasky
5/7/2006, 03:36 PM
there's no crying in baseball.

:twinkies:

Newbomb Turk
5/7/2006, 03:42 PM
there's no crying in baseball.

:mack:

BajaOklahoma
5/7/2006, 05:04 PM
Get used to it. It is a risk you take everytime you sign up for a tournament. The tournament officials are not responsible for the teams withdrawing, but they need to fine tune their response plan. I was the team manager for my daughter's soccer team. I spent one night calling the tournament hotline every 15 minutes hoping for a decision on whether we were to play a 6:30 AM game - which happened to be 90 minutes from our houses.....

In soccer, we play in all possible weather - except lightning. We've done the 100+ degree tournaments and the ones with the sleet hitting the ground and melting (fun for the goalie to dive for the ball into the water puddles in 34 degree weather).

tulsaoilerfan
5/7/2006, 06:59 PM
Get used to it. It is a risk you take everytime you sign up for a tournament. The tournament officials are not responsible for the teams withdrawing, but they need to fine tune their response plan. I was the team manager for my daughter's soccer team. I spent one night calling the tournament hotline every 15 minutes hoping for a decision on whether we were to play a 6:30 AM game - which happened to be 90 minutes from our houses.....

In soccer, we play in all possible weather - except lightning. We've done the 100+ degree tournaments and the ones with the sleet hitting the ground and melting (fun for the goalie to dive for the ball into the water puddles in 34 degree weather).
I'm not complaining about the time spent waiting, just the fact that the tournament director was not able to be reached at all during this delay; they had a message stating that any teams needing to withdraw needed to notify their answering machine by 6 pm, yet it took them until almost 9 to totally cancel? I've never seen an instance where a tournament director was inaccessible by phone during a tournament; pretty poor effort on their part.

John

TUSooner
5/7/2006, 08:01 PM
Went to Edmond to play a baseball tourney that was supposed to start on Sat; we went up on friday since we had an early Sat game, and of course it was raining; on Sat morning, we were told that they would make an announcement by 11; at 11, we were told wait until 1; at 1, they finally cancelled Sat but said they were wanting to play on Sunday and would announce by 8PM; the coach tried to call the tourney director and got nothing but an answering machine, so we all waited around until 8:45 only to finally find out that because of the number of teams that pulled out, plus the field conditions, the tourney was cancelled. In all my years of being involved with Conner's baseball, this was by far the WORST run tournament i have ever been to; some of us took trips out to the fields, and there wasn't anything that we saw that should have kept us from playing; a tournament director should be accessible in a situation like this to answer any questions a coach would have instead of relying on a damn answering machine and a rainout message; i can guarantee that this tournament will never see our team again, and i'm sure there are several others from out of town that are thinking the same thing.

John:mad: :mad:
Been there and done that (with kids softball and even soccer). The wporst was softball tournament at very nice complex in Gulfport. The guys didn;t even try to make the fields playable after a Sunday downpour; teams had to leave to drive home and nobody way happy. According to the park management, that was the last gig in Gulfport for those "professional" tournament organizers.