PDA

View Full Version : Family kicked out of buffet

tbl
5/7/2006, 01:26 PM
I side with the Chinese on this one. More buffets need to do this, IMO.

Family Kicked Out of Buffet Restaurant Fri May 5, 5:36 PM ET

DES MOINES, Iowa - Wendy Dershem may think twice before leaving that egg roll on her plate at her next Chinese buffet. The Des Moines woman, her boyfriend and her two children were kicked out of a restaurant last week after management accused her of leaving too much food on her plate.

"They told us we are not welcome there anymore," said Dershem, a repeat customer at the Dragon House buffet. "We waste too much food. But the buffet is all you can eat. And you know kids. They won't always eat everything and they want something else."

Dershem said she paid her $5.95 fee on Saturday but was abruptly told to leave after eating one plate of food.

Employees said they had been watching her family on previous trips to the restaurant and were fed up with her habits.

"They just take one bite and throw it away," said cashier Lin Huyen. "They take four egg rolls and crab ragoon, take one bite of egg roll and throw the whole plate. That is wasting food."

Dershem said she was shocked by the scolding and complained to management when she paid her check. "It was embarrassing. ... If it's a one-stop buffet, post it," she said.

Dragon House manager Kent Cao said his restaurant offers all you can eat buffet, not all you can waste. Dershem's family took food, didn't finish it and then piled on the same food again, he said.

"Shes done that too many times," Cao said. "We would welcome her back if she has respect and knows what she wants."

Bob Oberbillig, an adjunct professor at the Drake Legal Clinic, says the patron would have no legal case against exclusion from a business unless there are other factors such as racial discrimination or mental health issues.

"An establishment can exclude people if they smoke or waste food," he said. "It's still a private business."

Okla-homey
5/7/2006, 01:29 PM
They should put up a big sign like we had in military chow halls:

"Takee all you want, but eatee all you takee"

I think what those restaurant people did is great. I also believe the uniquely American "squat and gobble" buffet concept is partially why we are a nation of wide-loads.

StoopTroup
5/7/2006, 01:39 PM
We usually eat in at the Vietnamese restaurant we frequent.

The other night we decided to feed the kids what they wanted and pick-up our order "To Go". As my Wife was picking it up she asked if they put in a couple of fortune cookies. The Lady said..."Usually not get cookie with Take-out".

She gave them to her anyway but it kind of leaves you with a feeling of not going back. Thier food is good but I could live without going there again.

We may ban ourselves from it for 6 months and the next time we'll eat in, eat the cookies and stiff the tip.

tbl
5/7/2006, 01:43 PM
Don't punish the wait staff for the ownership. A lot of those places are ran like plantations where the wait/cook staff hate the owners more than we ever could... even if it is their Aunt that owns it.

VeeJay
5/7/2006, 01:45 PM
Why do you hate $5.95 specials?

Okla-homey
5/7/2006, 01:49 PM
Don't punish the wait staff for the ownership. A lot of those places are ran like plantations where the wait/cook staff hate the owners more than we ever could... even if it is their Aunt that owns it.

I just hope that pent-up kitchen staff angst doesn't manifest itself by boogers in the beef chop-suey or loogies in the lo-mein.

Jerk
5/7/2006, 01:55 PM
hahaha!

GOOD!

Don't you know these are the type of parents that let their little rats run wild tearing up stuff, screaming, throwing fits, with no discipline. I bet that's the REAL reason they got kicked out. Chinese food is cheap, 'specially with all the stray cats and dogs.

"they're just kids"

StoopTroup
5/7/2006, 01:57 PM
They need a sign for that then too...lol

http://www.tamegoeswild.com/photos/england2003/04/images/unruly-children.jpg

Okla-homey
5/7/2006, 02:00 PM
Maybe they oughtta put a couple of guys dressed like ninjas behind the buffet tables. They could stand there with their arms crossed and stare disapprovingly above their masks at anyone wasting food. An occasional nun-chuking of the worst offenders wouldn't hurt either.

Jerk
5/7/2006, 02:01 PM
They need a sign for that then too...lol

http://www.tamegoeswild.com/photos/england2003/04/images/unruly-children.jpg

that's perfect!

GottaHavePride
5/7/2006, 02:23 PM
Maybe they oughtta put a couple of guys dressed like ninjas behind the buffet tables. They could stand there with their arms crossed and stare disapprovingly above their masks at anyone wasting food. An occasional nun-chuking of the worst offenders wouldn't hurt either.

That would be my dream job. nunchucking people that annoy me.

OhU1
5/7/2006, 02:44 PM
Richard Pryor had a part in one of his gigs about not being allowed to leave a Chinese resturant because he left food on his plate. :)

I think it's awesome what the restaurant did. Gratuituously wasting food is shameful anyway even if you did buy it.

picasso
5/7/2006, 02:49 PM
cause you're a China Star
no matter who you are r
shinin bright to see e
what you can truly be

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/7/2006, 03:04 PM
cause you're a China Star
no matter who you are r
shinin bright to see e
what you can truly beNo, you're a corn-ball moo'foo

Hatfield
5/7/2006, 03:10 PM
you go

you be here for hour

you eat all da food

Chuck Bao
5/7/2006, 03:45 PM
Asians are even worse at doing that and it makes me friggin' mad.

Asian women tend to load their plates and then expect everyone to share in typical Asian style. The worse part is when they all take a slice of every cake, pie, ice cream, desert back to the table.

It's rude to leave food on a plate, so the guys have to finish it off. And, it makes me mad that Asians can eat all that food and never get fat.

When the women get back to the office after a big buffet lunch, they start snacking again. :mad

yermom
5/7/2006, 03:52 PM
you go

you be here for hour

you eat all da food

saw him in Vegas in '99

great show

walkoffsooner
5/7/2006, 07:27 PM
I know a family that fast's for two day's before going to a buffet.If I ran the place I would tell them we don't need you kind here fat boy.they brag about using 15 clean plates apiece in a visit.

okienole3
5/7/2006, 07:35 PM
but what if the food is just bad? can you leave it on your plate then?

MamaMia
5/7/2006, 07:56 PM
Actually its rude not to leave a little food on your plate in some countries. Its like saying that you didnt eat all you wish you could, because it was just so good.

StoopTroup
5/7/2006, 07:59 PM
Once I'm done with what's on my plate...

I'm going to go scrape it back into the containers so they won't complain.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/8/2006, 01:01 AM
I think some people must delight in putting the financial hurt on the all-you-can-eat restaurant, maybe more than the enjoyment of the food itself.

achiro
5/8/2006, 08:32 AM
I leave food all the time. If I am trying a place for the first time and their food sucks then i take a bite and leave it. Sometimes the same place can't seem to get it right and it tastes great one time and sucks another so I take a bite and leave it. Sometimes I just want to get my moneys worth even if I'm not hungry enough to eat it.
I go to a pizza buffet and take the first bite of the slice and leave the rest because thats the only bite thats worth eating. Then I just go get more slices. This IS AMERICA G***AMMIT!:D

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2006, 09:19 AM
Boy, those Chinese can really scold. I would hate to be the brunt of one of their scoldings...

BeetDigger
5/8/2006, 10:00 AM
I leave food all the time. If I am trying a place for the first time and their food sucks then i take a bite and leave it. Sometimes the same place can't seem to get it right and it tastes great one time and sucks another so I take a bite and leave it. Sometimes I just want to get my moneys worth even if I'm not hungry enough to eat it.
I go to a pizza buffet and take the first bite of the slice and leave the rest because thats the only bite thats worth eating. Then I just go get more slices. This IS AMERICA G***AMMIT!:D

I think that the point of a buffet is to take a little bit of a number of things the first time you go through the line. That way, you find the things you like and leave the things you hate. The next time through, you load up on the things you like. These folks had been to that place many times. They should know what they like. I mean, if all of the food sucks, then don't go back. Buffet's are not that complicated.

Partial Qualifier
5/8/2006, 10:30 AM
There oughtta be a "Families with more than one 350lb.+ member(s) may not enter" rule

I avoid Golden Corral because seeing a family full of lardasses pile stacks of food on their plate trip after trip makes me ill

Osce0la
5/8/2006, 10:48 AM
I think that the point of a buffet is to take a little bit of a number of things the first time you go through the line. That way, you find the things you like and leave the things you hate. The next time through, you load up on the things you like. These folks had been to that place many times. They should know what they like. I mean, if all of the food sucks, then don't go back. Buffet's are not that complicated.
That's what I do - especially at chinese buffets. I swear, no 2 chinese buffets are the same. You go to one and the food is out of this world, you go to another and they're horrible. I always get a little bit of a few things and go back and get more of whatever I like.

yermom
5/8/2006, 10:50 AM
of course it varies between trips to the same one as well, how long has this General Tso's Chicken been under the heat lamp?

that's why i generally try to avoid buffets, Chinese or otherwise

achiro
5/8/2006, 10:52 AM
How do you get a little bit of an eggroll?:D

achiro
5/8/2006, 10:53 AM
There oughtta be a "Families with more than one 350lb.+ member(s) may not enter" rule

I avoid Golden Corral because seeing a family full of lardasses pile stacks of food on their plate trip after trip makes me ill
Why do you hate fat people?

Not all big people eat more than those that are not...its a "glandular problem":D

yermom
5/8/2006, 11:06 AM
How do you get a little bit of an eggroll?:D

you don't get 4?

Taxman71
5/8/2006, 11:42 AM
Just make sure to pinch, tear or soil any uneaten food on your plate. The rest of us don't want to see that back on top of the pile when we go through the buffet line.

BeetDigger
5/8/2006, 11:42 AM

Ryan's Steakhouse Story in 3......2........1.....

tbl
5/8/2006, 12:11 PM

Nailed it. If you're not sure if you'll like it, get enough for 1 bite. I thought that was standard buffet rules?:P

soonerscuba
5/8/2006, 12:36 PM
I also believe the uniquely American "squat and gobble" buffet concept is partially why we are a nation of pure awesome.

fixed.

GottaHavePride
5/8/2006, 01:11 PM

It sounded to me like the issue with the people getting tossed out was doing stuff like, f'r example, loading your plate with six eggrolls, taking a bite out of one of them and leaving the rest, but then grabbing another six eggrolls next time you go through the line. You know, sort of a "if you wanted eggrolls why didn't you eat the first plateful you grabbed, piggy bastarges."

apusooner
5/8/2006, 01:37 PM
Actually its rude not to leave a little food on your plate in some countries. Its like saying that you didnt eat all you wish you could, because it was just so good.
That's what i was told when I went to Thailand. It was supposed to be a compliment to the chef.