PDA

View Full Version : Kolache???

Mongo
5/6/2006, 11:28 PM
I work around Prague, OK where Czech people run rampant. Someone tell me wtf a kolache is. I thought it was like an empanada or perogie. Please enlighten me.

Tailwind
5/6/2006, 11:32 PM
Kolache
Chef Barbara is of Czechoslovakian decent. Her family loved this old fruit filled recipe.

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening (part butter)
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup warm water
2 packages dry yeast
4 cups flour
Cream sugar, shortening, salt and eggs thoroughly. Dissolve yeast in water and add to creamed mixture and add 1 1/2 cups of flour to yeast. Beat on low speed. Stir in remaining flour. Let rise in warm place for about 1 1/2 hours. Stir down and turn onto a well floured board. Divide into 24 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth round ball. Place onto a greased baking sheet. Cover with cloth and let rest about 15 minutes. Form balls of dough into a flat 4 inch square. Place 1 tablespoonful of filling into the center. Bring opposite corners together. Moisten with milk, overlap about 1 inch and seal well. Let rise about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake Kolaches for 15 to 18 minutes or until brown . Brush with melted butter and dust lightly with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm or cold. Serves 24.

Prune/Apricot Filling

Take 1 cup of prunes and 3/4 cup dried apricots - add enough water to cover fruit and let simmer for about 30 minutes or until tender, in a small sauce pan. Drain off water; chop fruit fine; add 1/4 tsp. allspice; 1/2 cup sugar; 1 tbsp. of lemon juice; 1 tbsp. of grated lemon rind. Mix well and spoon into center of Kolaches. Yum-Yum.

yermom
5/6/2006, 11:32 PM
more of a meat stuffed donut

Tailwind
5/6/2006, 11:34 PM
http://www.texascooking.com/gif/new/kolache.jpg

yermom
5/6/2006, 11:38 PM
i posted before i saw yours, i wasn't disagreeing or anything ;)

i think the only ones i've had were like Ham or Pepperoni

Mongo
5/6/2006, 11:40 PM
Meat. that is what I thought. I go the the "Kolache" festival and it turned out more of a suasage festival. I have never seen so many Klbosa(thats how they say it, I was corrected) dangling around in public, No effing kolaches but cherry, appricot, or apple. The last time I czeched(hahaha), that was a fried pie. Inform me.

yermom
5/6/2006, 11:44 PM
i guess i was being too specific, i seem to remember talk of fruit filled ones at the place the guy was buying the meat ones

Tailwind
5/6/2006, 11:44 PM
I just googled it...^ what I found. :D

hurricane'bone
5/6/2006, 11:46 PM
I believe its spanish for "Whale's Vagina"

Tailwind
5/6/2006, 11:46 PM
i posted before i saw yours, i wasn't disagreeing or anything ;)

i think the only ones i've had were like Ham or Pepperoni

Didn't think you were.....pro'ly they have both kinds, that's just what I found when I googled. I'm at work, so I didn't get them posted close enough toghether, cuz, like, work interrupted and stuff. :D

Tailwind
5/6/2006, 11:47 PM
I believe its spanish for "Whale's Vagina"
Hey, no Spanish on a Chzech thread! :mad:

olevetonahill
5/6/2006, 11:51 PM
Hell I thought it was those shorts that looked like a mini skirt that HAWT chicks wear . Or wore back in the day ;)

Tailwind
5/6/2006, 11:53 PM
you mean cullottes? Heh.

GottaHavePride
5/6/2006, 11:54 PM
I have never seen so many Klbosa(thats how they say it, I was corrected) dangling around in public,

Kielbasa. My family pronounces it Ka-bossy. And that's good ****.

OklahomaTuba
5/6/2006, 11:57 PM
There's actually Czech peeps in prague, OK?

olevetonahill
5/6/2006, 11:57 PM
you mean cullottes? Heh.
There ya go . I had coochie on my mind ;) got em mixed up together :D :D :D

Rhino
5/7/2006, 12:01 AM
Yukon does Czech better than Prague.

Go there in October and eat many different flavored kolaches.

Mongo
5/7/2006, 12:02 AM
Evidently, kolache means in Czech:we tricked you into coming and supporting our festival, now enjoy our klbosa, "polish sausage we bought at wally world" hot dogs for five smokes a piece. Dont feel like grubbing on Czech or fine Polish dining? Eat an Indian Taco! It all ends up looking the same. Oh you want a Kolache? Buy a f*cking Mrs. Baird's danish, at the shell station, its the same effing thing.

OklahomaTuba
5/7/2006, 12:15 AM
Shell has Mrs. Baird's danishes???

Mongo
5/7/2006, 12:21 AM
Mrs. Baird's, I dont know, it was the only danish maker I could think of at the time of my rant. Sorry for misleading any Mrs. Baird's fans out there. My hatred lies with the Czech people for their false parades and festivals.

OklahomaTuba
5/7/2006, 12:25 AM
Thats probably why the slovaks ditched their sorry asses.

swardboy
5/7/2006, 07:56 AM
Waiter, Czech please....I want to file a false kolache report.

King Crimson
5/7/2006, 08:04 AM
Thats probably why the slovaks ditched their sorry asses.

what are you talking about? the Czechs had as much if not more to do with the end of the former Soviet Union/fall of the Berlin wall than yer hero Ronnie.

you might try reading a book, or something other than Drudge or Newsmax. that would make yer posts more informed and not just scattered slavish opinion.

King Crimson
5/7/2006, 08:08 AM
i'm part cherokee and choctaw--and i dig going to the arapahoe events here in colorado...but it is kind of annoying when they selling "indian tacos" for 5 bucks....and it's just a big tortilla and some ground beef and Ortega taco mix and grated cheddar cheese. c'mon.

royalfan5
5/7/2006, 08:46 AM
Wilber, Nebraska which is about 15 miles from where I grew up is the Czech Capital of the United States. The Kolaches that come from that town RMFO. Especially the poppy seed one. Plus Czech Days is one of the better local festivals because those Bohemians can drink.

SoonerProphet
5/7/2006, 09:39 AM
mmmm kolaches, the have some good ones down south in West.

jk the sooner fan
5/7/2006, 09:47 AM
the VERY BEST kolaches are found in the tiny town of West, TX, on I-35, between hillsborough and waco....

pig in a blanket for you hillbillies.... ;)

opksooner
5/7/2006, 10:00 AM
the VERY BEST kolaches are found in the tiny town of West, TX, on I-35, between hillsborough and waco....

West, Texas. The Czech Stop. YESSSSS!

jk the sooner fan
5/7/2006, 10:07 AM
West, Texas. The Czech Stop. YESSSSS!

thats the one! :)

skycat
5/7/2006, 11:04 AM
Czech Stop is average at best.

I've got a ton of Czech blood, and have the bizarrely pronounced last name to prove it. Both of my Grandmothers made kolaches all the time. They never made meat filled ones. And yes poppy seed ones were the most coveted.

royalfan5
5/7/2006, 11:44 AM

I've got a ton of Czech blood, and have the bizarrely pronounced last name to prove it. Both of my Grandmothers made kolaches all the time. They never made meat filled ones. And yes poppy seed ones were the most coveted.
So your saying your last name is seven consanants with a superferolus vowel at the end, and none of the sounds of the letters in your last name appear in the actual pronunciation?

MamaMia
5/7/2006, 12:29 PM
My husband and I were on our way back from the Texas A&M game season before last headed toward Itasca Texas to visit family. Right off the highway there is a store that had cases and cases of Kolaches, meat and fruit ones. You could tell that place had been there for many years.

We stopped and got some things to take to my Uncle Arthurs. It was pretty good. Most of the folks were buying kolaches filled with sliced meats and sliced sausages of all kinds. Some with cheese. They kind of reminded me of the German bierox. Another item that was very popular was their olive bread. It was quite tasty actually.

Norm In Norman
5/7/2006, 12:31 PM
Meat kolache? The ones I always had from prague had fruit and/or cream cheese on them (sort of like a danish) and they were AWESOME. I've never seena meat one before. I miss those things.

StoopTroup
5/7/2006, 12:57 PM
Was it the Czechs that invented czechers?

http://wirelessdigest.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/checkers.JPG

jk the sooner fan
5/7/2006, 01:16 PM
Was it the Czechs that invented czechers?

yes, but another little known fact, it was the son of a czech-aussie couple that invented chess

czech mate.....

tbl
5/7/2006, 01:34 PM
See, this is where it gets confusing. Pigs-in-a-blanket is what I had always known the dough-wrapped mini sausages as... then I moved to DFW 10 years ago and all of a sudden they were Kolaches. THEN I went to a Czech place and ordered some kolaches and they gave me some fruity pastry crap.

Is it basically something wrapped in dough? Fruit, cheese, meat, whatever?

jk the sooner fan
5/7/2006, 01:46 PM
Is it basically something wrapped in dough? Fruit, cheese, meat, whatever?

yes, i think its origin is fruit......but you know, to make it in america, you've gotta "meat it up"

and the kolaches they serve at the donut shops here in the metroplex are THE SUCK

there's a donut shop in san antonio, the owner is from poland, his sausage kolaches are greatness

SoonerInKCMO
5/7/2006, 03:29 PM
So your saying your last name is seven consanants with a superferolus vowel at the end, and none of the sounds of the letters in your last name appear in the actual pronunciation?

You think Skycat is Coach K? :confused:

47straight
5/7/2006, 04:58 PM
more of a meat stuffed donut

Nope.

47straight
5/7/2006, 05:00 PM
Kielbasa. My family pronounces it Ka-bossy. And that's good ****.

Nope. It's klobase. Slightly different.

47straight
5/7/2006, 05:00 PM
Yukon does Czech better than Prague.

Nope.

47straight
5/7/2006, 05:02 PM
Mrs. Baird's, I dont know, it was the only danish maker I could think of at the time of my rant. Sorry for misleading any Mrs. Baird's fans out there. My hatred lies with the Czech people for their false parades and festivals.

Nope. Not danishes. Very different. If you felt mislead, then you bought food from a stand that didn't say "St. Wencelaus." I would have been happy to advise you ahead of time.

I guess the polka dancing was false too? ;)

47straight
5/7/2006, 05:03 PM

With all due respect to my friend JK, one of the few SF folks I've met in person... nope.

pig in a blanket for you hillbillies...

Nope.

47straight
5/7/2006, 05:04 PM

100% true. No meat. Poppy seed best!

jk the sooner fan
5/7/2006, 05:11 PM
With all due respect to my friend JK, one of the few SF folks I've met in person... nope.

ok for you kolache purists, perhaps not

but what they sell at the czech stop in West is good eats......i dont care where you come from, and i dont care what you call them........they're tasty

47straight
5/7/2006, 05:22 PM
I felt I had to address each in turn. Here is my substantive post. And yes, I do take kolaches too seriously. Sorry, it's just me.

Kolaches are pastries filled with fruit or similar fillings - poppyseed, apricot, and cream cheese being the most traditional, but also cherry, almond, prune (not my fave...), etc. Traditionally, they are open faced, but with the advent of convection ovens, some make the poppyseed ones closed to keep the seeds from blowing around. The dough is very light and semi-sweet, and when done right is the reason it takes 4 hours to make. The difference between kolaches is mostly in the dough, though it is entirely possible to screw up the fillings.

Kolaches do not have meat. There is another tasty treat called klobasneks that people often make with kolache dough that is essentially a pig-in-a-blanket with czech (polish will suffice) sausage, called klobase. It is hard to screw up a klobasnek, which is why a lot of people really like them. I mean, it's bread and meat. Mmmm. The downside is that people call them 'kolaches' and then say 'XYZ makes good kolaches' when their actual kolaches are not worth the calories in them. Point is - don't get me wrong, I love klobasneks too, but they're not kolaches.

It is very tough to find good kolaches. Even at the Kolache festival in prague, you might encounter some poorly made ones. The trick at Kolache festival is to find out which groups have the largest number of old czech grandmas helping out for quality control.

Home-made klobase is to die for. A place called Moore's market in Prague used to have the best - hickory smoked for days and days. Moore's is out of business now, though the former proprietor sometimes makes some for festival and for his church.

The best commercially produced kolaches that i have had are from a place called Weikel's Bakery in La Grange, TX. They are very good, and I look forward to eating them. Austin has several kolache places, but they are without exception substandard to terrible. A lot of people recommend the Czech Stop in West, TX. I admit I love the town and their festival (it reminds me very much of home). They have several butcher shops in town with good quality klobase, and their czech restaurants are quite authentic. However, I do think the Czech Stop's kolaches are merely ok. They'll do. But they are miles ahead of most store-bought kolaches, which are glorified dinner rolls with jam. BLECH.

In my dream house, whenever I win the lottery and get it built, I'm going to have proofer ovens specifically for when I make kolaches, because it's all in the dough. I want to achieve that perfect rise.

jk the sooner fan
5/7/2006, 05:24 PM
the czech stop in West makes the most kick *** klobasneks i've ever had

GDC
5/7/2006, 05:50 PM
Sounds like kanuchi.

MamaMia
5/7/2006, 06:08 PM

I wonder if thats the place I'm talking about? Those were really good. :)

okienole3
5/7/2006, 06:43 PM
http://www.kolachefactory.com/

OUDoc
5/7/2006, 07:36 PM
I felt I had to address each in turn. Here is my substantive post. And yes, I do take kolaches too seriously. Sorry, it's just me.

Kolaches are pastries filled with fruit or similar fillings - poppyseed, apricot, and cream cheese being the most traditional, but also cherry, almond, prune (not my fave...), etc. Traditionally, they are open faced, but with the advent of convection ovens, some make the poppyseed ones closed to keep the seeds from blowing around. The dough is very light and semi-sweet, and when done right is the reason it takes 4 hours to make. The difference between kolaches is mostly in the dough, though it is entirely possible to screw up the fillings.

Yes. I'm 1/2 Czech (:mad: <--to the Czech-haters :D), my full Czech grandma always makes apricot kolaches. The dough is more pastry/flaky-ish than the bread dough I saw in the above link. 47straight has it right.

Jimminy Crimson
5/7/2006, 10:31 PM
COME TO THIS COUNTRY LEGALLY AND THEN WE WILL TALK!!!!! :mad:

Sorry, wrong thread!

:D

skycat
5/8/2006, 12:46 AM

Only two syllables. It looks easy enough to pronounce. But it ends in one vowel that is pronounced like an entirely different vowel.

OUDoc
5/8/2006, 08:11 AM
COME TO THIS COUNTRY LEGALLY AND THEN WE WILL TALK!!!!! :mad:

Sorry, wrong thread!

:D
Where's the unemployment office?

Norm In Norman
5/8/2006, 08:18 AM
Ahhh - so the meat kolache thing was just a ruse to confuse good old norm.

I'm frickin' hungry. I'd probably eat a meat kolache right now.

Norm In Norman
5/8/2006, 08:18 AM
That's what she said!

jk the sooner fan
5/8/2006, 08:21 AM
Ahhh - so the meat kolache thing was just a ruse to confuse good old norm.

I'm frickin' hungry. I'd probably eat a meat kolache right now.

KOBLASNEKS!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

GDC
5/8/2006, 08:34 AM
No one in Oklahoma does Italian better than Krebs, on that we can agree.

This thread makes me want to go to Bozena in Ft. Gibson tonight.

sanantoniosooner
5/8/2006, 08:48 AM
yes, i think its origin is fruit......but you know, to make it in america, you've gotta "meat it up"

and the kolaches they serve at the donut shops here in the metroplex are THE SUCK

there's a donut shop in san antonio, the owner is from poland, his sausage kolaches are greatness
Shipley?

jk the sooner fan
5/8/2006, 08:54 AM
Shipley?

umm no, you must be joking...this is a little local owned place and i'd have to look at a SA map to tell you where it is

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2006, 09:10 AM
Come to Houston, Kolache's are all over the place. Becuase this area was settled by Czech's. The fruit ones are traditional. The meat filled one's have been up-sized for modern breakfast consumption...

C&CDean
5/8/2006, 09:31 AM
You people are the biggest bunch of non-cultured peckerwoods I've ever seen.

Some of you think tex-mex is "damn good messican food." Some of you think Ryan's steak house is "damn fine steaks." Some of you think the Golden Palace buffet is "damn good chinese." And now some of you think that some meat stuffed in a kolache crust is a kolache. Some of you think corn is the only veggie out there. Some of you think white gravy is the nectar of the gods.

Per capita, Oklahoma raises the most pathetic palated people in the entire country. When the neighbor kids come to visit, and my wife puts some mixed veggies from the garden on the table they go "what's that?" When she cooks up some chorizo and eggs, they go "oh, I don't like that." I go "have you ever tried it?" They go "no, but I don't like it."

Broaden your ****ing horizons people. When you're in New England, don't go to the ****ing Red Lobster and get the shrimp scampi special. I don't care how good you think it tastes. Try some foods you've never tried. Step out, take a risk.

And an old boss of mine, Stan Dzik (God rest his Pollack soul) and his wife made the very best cabbage rolls, pastries stuffed with meat, and kolaches I've ever had.

SoonerInKCMO
5/8/2006, 09:39 AM
Per capita, Minnesota raises the most pathetic palated people in the entire country.

Fixed. Crazy Canuck wannabes think milk is a spice.

Oklahoma certainly challenges for the top spot though.

Zbird
5/8/2006, 09:56 AM
100% true. No meat. Poppy seed best!

Well at least you got that one right.

Point of Information.

Prague, OK is home to the Kolache Festival

Yukon, OK (Czech capital of Oklahoma) has the Czech Festival Which serves Kolaches NOT FILLED WITH MEAT and (take your choice) Klobasa, Klobasse Keilbasse, Keilbase, Klobassy sausage on a bun.

Unfortunately, the beer at both is sickeningly domestic with the only foreign beer that "shiny" one from saxet.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2006, 10:26 AM

Some of you think tex-mex is "damn good messican food." Some of you think Ryan's steak house is "damn fine steaks." Some of you think the Golden Palace buffet is "damn good chinese." And now some of you think that some meat stuffed in a kolache crust is a kolache. Some of you think corn is the only veggie out there. Some of you think white gravy is the nectar of the gods.

Per capita, Oklahoma raises the most pathetic palated people in the entire country. When the neighbor kids come to visit, and my wife puts some mixed veggies from the garden on the table they go "what's that?" When she cooks up some chorizo and eggs, they go "oh, I don't like that." I go "have you ever tried it?" They go "no, but I don't like it."

Broaden your ****ing horizons people. When you're in New England, don't go to the ****ing Red Lobster and get the shrimp scampi special. I don't care how good you think it tastes. Try some foods you've never tried. Step out, take a risk.

And an old boss of mine, Stan Dzik (God rest his Pollack soul) and his wife made the very best cabbage rolls, pastries stuffed with meat, and kolaches I've ever had.

Dean, what do you REALLY think? ;)

yermom
5/8/2006, 10:47 AM

uh oh, you said the magic word...

i need to eat with Dean some time

as long as it's not Korean :eek:

GDC
5/8/2006, 10:55 AM
People around Stilwell don't have any idea what gyros are.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2006, 11:01 AM
People around Stilwell don't have any idea what gyros are.

Is that Ji-row or Yee-row? ;)

47straight
5/8/2006, 01:45 PM
Yukon, OK (self-proclaimed Czech capital of Oklahoma) has the Czech Festival...

Fixed... :D

Maybe there's a conch or state seal that Pragonians can steal, a la OKC from Guthrie. Heh.

OklahomaTuba
5/8/2006, 01:59 PM
what are you talking about? the Czechs had as much if not more to do with the end of the former Soviet Union/fall of the Berlin wall than yer hero Ronnie.

you might try reading a book, or something other than Drudge or Newsmax. that would make yer posts more informed and not just scattered slavish opinion.

Wowzers.

Who woulda thought a Kolache thread would bring out the best in some people? :rolleyes:

Oh, just a FYI, what I was talking about is commonly called the Velvet Divorce. Wasn't talking about the cold war.

Might try reading a book about the split. May i even suggest a fine search engine such as google (www.google.com) or yahoo (www.yahoo.com).

C&CDean
5/8/2006, 04:00 PM
uh oh, you said the magic word...

i need to eat with Dean some time

as long as it's not Korean :eek:

Your homey throws away perfectly good pork. Instead of broadening his horizons and trying some pork enchiladas, he throws a tantrum and bitches cause he ain't got beef.

You know what REAL messicans put on tortillas? Whatever is leftover from supper last night. Dudes I worked with in Tucson used to bring in "burritos" that consisted of roast/taters, eggs/bacon/taters, peanut butter and jelly, ham and cheese, tuna and jalapenos, you name it.

While I'm bitching, let me tell you about a guy I used to travel with. Wherever we went, he always wanted a "hamburger." Denny's, McDonald's, Hardees, whatever, it had to be a hamburger. We're in NYC, with Manganaro's right across the street and dude says "I saw a McDonald's down the street, let's go there for dinner." We're in Plymouth, New Hampshire, and there's this little seafood joint on the corner - dude goes "there's a Denny's on the next block, let's go there." We're in San Diego, and there's Old Town, the harbor, Coronado, etc. and he's "we just passed a Denny's, so now we know where to eat tonight."

Long story short - I just told him "here's the keys to the rental car. I'll walk or take a cab, see you tomorrow." He always wondered how I could always go out and try something that I didn't know for sure about. I'd say "dude, HTF can you eat nasty burgers for every meal?" He'd say "cause at least they're consistent, I know what I'm getting."

Well guess what he got? Full blown diabetes, and an early retirement. Not to mention he smells like a ****ing quarter-pounder with cheese.

Mjcpr
5/8/2006, 04:02 PM
Well guess what he got? Full blown diabetes, and an early retirement. Not to mention he smells like a ****ing quarter-pounder with cheese.

Early retirement would be awesome.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/8/2006, 04:05 PM
Early retirement would be awesome.

Early retirement in an onion suit...not so much...:mack:

C&CDean
5/8/2006, 04:08 PM
Early retirement in an onion suit...not so much...:mack:

****in' a

toast
5/8/2006, 04:18 PM
You know what REAL messicans put on tortillas? Whatever is leftover from supper last night. Dudes I worked with in Tucson used to bring in "burritos" that consisted of roast/taters, eggs/bacon/taters, peanut butter and jelly, ham and cheese, tuna and jalapenos, you name it.

Leftovers??? Heck, we were so poor that we had only tortillas to put on our tortillas...:D