PDA

View Full Version : cleaning tile question

oumartin
5/6/2006, 07:19 PM
okay, we have some tile in one bathroom that has white grout used. As we all know white doesn't stay white. Is there anyway to clean this grout to get it to look all pretty again?

StoopTroup
5/6/2006, 07:22 PM
Use a toothbrush and clorox. YW

http://www.ukgameshows.com/atoz/programmes/d/dont_forget_toothbrush/toothbrush.jpg

slickdawg
5/6/2006, 07:28 PM
Home Depot/Lowe's sells some butt-kicking grout cleaner. It works very well.

StoopTroup
5/6/2006, 07:33 PM
http://www.zap-restorer.com/?source=gg&camp=zap&grp=clean&term=grout%20cleaner&gclid=CP_n76r-5IQCFQR3SAodzAJzjw

Zap works so well is because it contains sulfuric acid and muriatic acid. By themselves and in pure form, these chemicals are very strong and corrosive. Though the folks over at Sirius Products, the makers of Zap, have given it a pleasant minty smell, it should always be used in well ventilated areas.

We also recommend that you use gloves when using this product if you have sensitive skin

oumartin
5/6/2006, 07:33 PM
thanks guys. I just called my battleaxe. since she is in OKC picking the kids up a dog I told her to go by the lowes or home depot and get some of that grout cleaner..
I may try the toothbrush thing too.

BoogercountySooner
5/6/2006, 07:42 PM
The Hoover Floor mate works pretty good on alot of tile! Also seal your grout when you get it clean. That is all from Booger the Builder!:D :D

Newbomb Turk
5/6/2006, 07:43 PM
FYI - Don't use white grout. ;)

oumartin
5/6/2006, 07:54 PM
it was already down when we bought the house Newbomb..
Hey booger, is that hoover like a rug doctor or what?
generally I use the bissell to sweep it and the swiffer wet jet to mop it. but it was already discolored when we bought it.. the guy that sold us the house said he will never again use white grout.

Newbomb Turk
5/6/2006, 07:57 PM
the guy that sold us the house said he will never again use white grout.

:les: well, it's a little late for that now isn't it.

You're not having good luck with floors lately.

oumartin
5/6/2006, 08:02 PM
nope.. I gotta pull up the laminate flooring too.
I'm having heck finding the flooring to just repair what we have down since its discontinued. so it looks like i'll have to replace it all or put down carpet.
We are gonna buy one of those hot water on demand water heaters though.
so that will give me a little more room in that closet to keep the floor drain snaked out.

Newbomb Turk
5/6/2006, 08:07 PM
A tankless water heater?

Talked to a plumber about one a few weeks back - he said they're no good if you need a decent amount of hot water.

also, see this thread:
http://soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67094

oumartin
5/6/2006, 08:11 PM
well, My boss has one and says his is a bit undersized but it works well for the most part.
we never run two things that take hot water at once anyhow. the one i'm looking at says you can run two major appliances at one.

StoopTroup
5/6/2006, 08:24 PM
well, My boss has one and says his is a bit undersized but it works well for the most part.

That wasn't during a one on one meeting where you were asking for a raise was it? ;)

oumartin
5/6/2006, 08:31 PM
buncha sickos!

tbl
5/6/2006, 08:37 PM
Don't forget to seal it once you have it clean!

tbl
5/6/2006, 08:38 PM
Otherwise, your pee splatters will keep staining it yellow.

oumartin
5/6/2006, 08:40 PM
thats lovely.. i guess any ole' sealer will do.

BajaOklahoma
5/6/2006, 09:35 PM
What kind of tile? We have some white marble next to white grout. There are so many things that we can't use on the floor/grout because of that there purty tile.

oumartin
5/6/2006, 09:48 PM
not sure what kind it is. its also a light colored tiled. but i'm sure it aint marble

BajaOklahoma
5/7/2006, 01:34 AM
Just making sure - you can ruin marble tile very easily with the wrong cleaners. Same goes for some of the other "special" tiles.....

BoogercountySooner
5/7/2006, 03:10 AM
Hey Martin the Hoover Floor mate is quite cool. Itsprays a cleaning agent onto the floor while the circular brushes scrub the floor clean and then the dirty spray is then sucked up into the machine. I honestly don't know if it would clean dirty white grout or not. Google it and check it out though.

Okla-homey
5/7/2006, 04:46 AM
black grout = goodness

oumartin
5/7/2006, 05:07 AM
okay booger, i'll check it out.