PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Feature

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/6/2006, 04:36 PM
I noticed at least one thread about it on the SO.

Right now it's being tweaked so that it can actually be a useful feature on the board. At some point, it began being abused and right now, it's not really even useful other than sending a short message in lieu of a PM. The reputation points themselves have become meaningless.

There's a feature on the board that allows us to lock out noobs from starting a thread until they reach a certain reputation level and/or have a certain number of posts. This will almost eliminate spam threads, and will also allow noobs with good attitudes to advance.

Right now, we're playing with the calculations so that it becomes more in line with the way it was designed to be used. The default setting (and one that you can't change without digging deep into the php code) is that you get one green bar for every 100 points of reputation. We had folks that were able to give out 500 x that with one hit.

It's my opinion, that longevity and even total posts should have more of an impact than two new guys getting into a circle spekFest and jumping into the top 10 of reputation.

Right now, it's set so that you can give out 15 per day and can't hit the same person again until you give out 15 others. The calculation has also been changed to put more weight on #of posts and time on the board than on total amount of reputation that you have.

This shouldn't reduce drastically the amount that you can receive as I don't think most folks give out 15 per day anyway, but it will reduce the amount you can receive from any one person.

It's possible that the whole thing will need to start over at zero due to the inflated numbers that most folks have. Especially since it will put new people at a disadvantage as far as never ever being able to pass anyone on the ranking scale.

Your thoughts?

The goal here isn't to be mean, but simply to make the feature mean something and even use it as a way to make the board better for everyone.

Scott D
5/6/2006, 04:43 PM
I think this reeks of some suggestions made months back. And by reeks, I mean sounds good to impliment.

p.s. what kind of punishment will doleo get for his repeated abuse of it? :)

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/6/2006, 04:46 PM
Maybe we'll drop him into the Al Gore user group for a day or so.

Until we learned that we could actually use the feature to make the board better, especially for the new folks, it didn't matter that the numbers didn't mean anything. We just stumbled across promotions this last week and I'm kicking myself for not looking at them before.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/6/2006, 04:47 PM
What do you think is a good number of posts before a newb can start his/her own thread?

Scott D
5/6/2006, 04:48 PM
the cruel part of me says 500, but the reasonable part says somewhere in the 50 to 100 range.

jk the sooner fan
5/6/2006, 04:49 PM
i like spek for the simple use of sending a note rather than a PM...you could take away the points and i wouldnt care one bit

i'd rather the post count be done away with as well......and not because i have the highest, i just think its meaningless

"hey congrats, you hit 1000"...wtf? congrats for what? pounding away on a keyboard? i've just never understood it......

the stars denote the range of post count and i would guess longevity, for me thats plenty enough for "features"

jk the sooner fan
5/6/2006, 04:50 PM
100 for newbs

GottaHavePride
5/6/2006, 05:20 PM
Sounds good to me. Go for it, Beano.

GDC
5/6/2006, 05:26 PM
The spek was fine just the way it was. It almost seems like a concerted effort is underway to lessen the entertainment value of the board.

yermom
5/6/2006, 05:27 PM
sounds good Beano... i think something was suggested about "promotion" a while back

and for the record... me and doleo didn't start the circlespek idea, just took it to another level ;)

if this goes down, vBookie spek betting probably shouldn't ever be reinstated... those numbers should be separate

i'd agree with 100 as the "promotion" threshold as well, and maybe SO posts shouldn't count toward someone starting a thread in the Football forum, etc... if possible

GottaHavePride
5/6/2006, 05:37 PM
i'd agree with 100 as the "promotion" threshold as well, and maybe SO posts shouldn't count toward someone starting a thread in the Football forum, etc... if possible

Hmmm. somehow I 'm guessing that will be next-to-impossible to pull off. I don't know that it's entirely necessary, though. I mean, if you've got 100 posts on the SO, you probably know the board's personality well enough to risk starting a thread on the football forum.

bigdsooner
5/6/2006, 05:51 PM
im guilty of spekfesting. it sucks being at the bottom and it became an obsession wanting to move up as quickly as possible. i apologize for my part, cause in the end i abused i as much as the next guy. whatever changes are made works for me

50-100 for a newb
when is one no longer a newb?

yermom
5/6/2006, 05:51 PM
Hmmm. somehow I 'm guessing that will be next-to-impossible to pull off. I don't know that it's entirely necessary, though. I mean, if you've got 100 posts on the SO, you probably know the board's personality well enough to risk starting a thread on the football forum.

well i'm just shy of saying SO posts shouldn't count ;)

StoopTroup
5/6/2006, 05:59 PM
I think your spek points should go back to zero once you go over 20,000 posts.

etouffee
5/6/2006, 07:05 PM
i really don't care about spek one way or the other. it's fun to get and give, but it wouldn't affect me in the slightest if it went away entirely.

having said that, i do think some sort of public explanation from the admins is in order prior to or concurrent with making changes to any commonly used board feature. having a bunch of users going "wtf???" because things aren't working today like they did yesterday... i'm not a fan of that scenario.

jk the sooner fan
5/6/2006, 07:26 PM
The spek was fine just the way it was. It almost seems like a concerted effort is underway to lessen the entertainment value of the board.

well, we did discuss it at the meeting

i have never....and i mean NEVER, calculated how much spek somebody gave me.....for me to do that, i'd have to remember what i had at any given time

seriously, if you're paying that close attention to it........well, its not money for crying out loud, its a friggin cyberspace number that has ZERO meaning

just silly

OUDoc
5/6/2006, 08:15 PM
6 months ago I wanted to use spek as the criteria for starting threads, i.e. people with red spek can't start one. This could (and would) probably be abused, but it would keep the dillholes from clogging up the board with useless posts. (At least consider implementing this around OU/texas week, so the horns can't start BS threads bashing OU. :) )

Otherwise, 100 posts seems logical to keep noobs from having their feelings hurt by starting new threads. They should know the SF.com workings by then.

Oh, and trying to reset spek would suck, IMO, but I'd get over it. Couldn't imagine having the same spek as Nick Zepp.

yermom
5/6/2006, 09:13 PM
maybe people with negative reputation should have a higher flood control time ;)

you know, like 24 hours

OUinFLA
5/6/2006, 09:19 PM
spek points dont matter to me, but the spek message is kinda cool. It's nice to know someone appreciates (or doesnt) some comment you made without clogging the thread up with a lovefest of "heh"'s.

yermom
5/6/2006, 09:21 PM
heh

YMSSRA

OUinFLA
5/6/2006, 09:22 PM
when is one no longer a newb?

when you have over 8000 posts.

Oh, IMO, let the n00b start a thread at 50 posts.
No reason to just make it monumental for them to say something they might think is important to them.

I would think most of us would agree that it's the n00b with 1-10 posts that is only here to annoy the regular users by starting flame/stupid threads. But, then again there IS doleo. :D

BajaOklahoma
5/6/2006, 09:31 PM
So can we just turn it off?
Though I enjoy giving the whorns some red.

Norm In Norman
5/6/2006, 09:33 PM
having said that, i do think some sort of public explanation from the admins is in order prior to or concurrent with making changes to any commonly used board feature. having a bunch of users going "wtf???" because things aren't working today like they did yesterday... i'm not a fan of that scenario.
I don't. I would have preferred we changed things, everyone's reputation went to zero, then everyone bitched about it. And I'm not being sarcastic.

Norm In Norman
5/6/2006, 09:38 PM
Oh, and (I can't believe I'm going to say this) I might be talked into changing some of you guys back to your original sign up date to help your <god I hate this stupid ****ing idiotic term> "Spek Hammer". to me, longevity should demand more reputation than post count. does anyone disagree that mosoon or oldsooner should have more rep power than their post counts let on?

OUinFLA
5/6/2006, 09:42 PM
depends, which original sign up date do you mean?
the new board or one of the old boards?

whichever benefits me the most, I agree with though.

Norm In Norman
5/6/2006, 09:47 PM
I mean the original one for your username on soonerfans. For instance, mine right now is set to 9/8/99. A lot of people signed up at the same time a year and a half ago (or longer?) just because we switched boards.

I'm not going to advertise that I'll do that anywhere but this forum though (if I decide to do it). I don't need the extra work. I won't be the one proving the sign up date either.

OUinFLA
5/6/2006, 09:50 PM
ok, I signed up for something back in 1967 on campus at OU, could I have inadvertenly signed up for SoonerFans back then?

OUDoc
5/6/2006, 09:51 PM
does anyone disagree that mosoon or oldsooner should have more rep power than their post counts let on?
True, so tell them to get their asses back here more often. :D
Oh, signed up August '02 with the board. Got Phil's reports for several years before that. Thanks, Norm! ;)

Howzit
5/6/2006, 09:53 PM
Approved.

Mjcpr
5/6/2006, 09:58 PM
Sounds like me and JK are in the driver's seat.

:O

:D

jk the sooner fan
5/6/2006, 10:00 PM
uh huh, but you know norm and beano would love to find a way to screw that up for us.......you.just.know.it

OUDoc
5/6/2006, 10:05 PM
uh huh, but you know norm and beano would love to find a way to screw that up for us.......you.just.know.it
Beano-only if it was unexpected.
Norm-only if it made Norm laugh.
So I agree with you, jk.

Howzit
5/6/2006, 10:19 PM
Beano-only if it was unexpected.
Norm-only if it made Norm laugh.
So I agree with you, jk.

Norm laughs?

Norm In Norman
5/6/2006, 10:22 PM
Sounds like me and JK are in the driver's seat.

:O

Actually, I can assure you that the mods will be in the drivers seat. You guys get the next to the last row in the bus.

The short bus. HA!

Norm In Norman
5/6/2006, 10:23 PM
Norm laughs?
My laughs cure cancer. Too bad blah blah blah...

Stanley1
5/6/2006, 10:33 PM
Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this board is a place I don't want to be or patronize. There are two other boards which I believe have at least equivalent football knowledge without the abusive environment. I am taking my business elsewhere.

John W. Helander
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

oumartin
5/6/2006, 11:03 PM
just as long as us with high spek can still carry a big neg spek hammer I am happy.

olevetonahill
5/6/2006, 11:08 PM
Why not just let the sponsors regulate how much spek they give ?
As it stands we have either gave em full support or Full Neg :confused:
Now that being said . Change the board anyway you want to.
It took me almost 2yrs to hit " close confidant of Barry "" then It took off . So let US decide How much spek we want to give ;)

GottaHavePride
5/6/2006, 11:31 PM
Oh, and (I can't believe I'm going to say this) I might be talked into changing some of you guys back to your original sign up date to help your <god i="" hate="" this="" stupid="" ****ing="" idiotic="" term=""> "Spek Hammer". to me, longevity should demand more reputation than post count. does anyone disagree that mosoon or oldsooner should have more rep power than their post counts let on?

I totally agree with that. Those guys should be able to throw their weight around.

Btw, mine was September 2001, I'm pretty sure. It was right after PrideTrombone and I started sharing a house my first senior year of undergrad.
</god>

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/7/2006, 12:00 AM
True, they should have a lot of spek due to being around from the beginning, but someone newer that utilizes the board now should also get some benefit for being active. Therefore a balance of posts, longevity AND to a lesser extent, the number of positive reputations should be the calculation.

Can someone link to the threads where recommendations happened in the past?

And, if we reset it, it wouldn't necessarily go back to zero for everyone, we'd just re-calculate to be reflective of the new formula. You would lose a fair bit of the spek you've received, but folks like gdc and jk with a ton of posts and been here for a long time would start out having the biggest clubs.

Regarding negative not being able to post. How about:

A newb can start a new thread after 50 posts if he has positive reputation.
A newb can start a new thread after 100 posts if he has negative reputation.

We can't lock someone out fully because that would get abused. Poor Nick.

GottaHavePride
5/7/2006, 12:11 AM

Hmmm.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57291

And there was some discussion in here: http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57054 if you want to wade through the pages of bitching that got it locked in the first place.

Scott D
5/7/2006, 01:23 AM
yeah that thread was good until it turned into a 'what troll is sas' and 'gdc v. horns/whornlovers' thread.

BajaOklahoma
5/7/2006, 01:29 AM
I think it's fair for the posters to start with more respect based on longevity. I'm a noob in comparison.
I like the idea of being able to give part of the available hammer.
I am worried though. Does this mean that the whorns are going to start with green? And you won't let Lid change his avatar, right?

Scott D
5/7/2006, 01:53 AM

I agree that it was fine the way it was....however, there was unfortunately a very concerted effort by a certain poster to abuse it. Now, this wasn't the first time this individual was engaged in abusing something involving the reputation feature. I almost view this as an 'entire class being punished for one student' kind of scenario in regards to it.

I think a bigger part of the problem is that we as users aren't necessarily policing ourselves as well as we could in regards to excesses.

I also haven't had much of an issue with people using the comment portion of reputation for putting in a comment that is relevant to the post itself. I don't however particularly care for the situations where a reputation comment is being used for abusive and threatening language toward the recipient, horn or not.

jk the sooner fan
5/7/2006, 08:03 AM
True, they should have a lot of spek due to being around from the beginning, but someone newer that utilizes the board now should also get some benefit for being active. Therefore a balance of posts, longevity AND to a lesser extent, the number of positive reputations should be the calculation.

And, if we reset it, it wouldn't necessarily go back to zero for everyone, we'd just re-calculate to be reflective of the new formula. You would lose a fair bit of the spek you've received, but folks like gdc and jk with a ton of posts and been here for a long time would start out having the biggest clubs.

Regarding negative not being able to post. How about:

A newb can start a new thread after 50 posts if he has positive reputation.
A newb can start a new thread after 100 posts if he has negative reputation.

We can't lock someone out fully because that would get abused. Poor Nick.

thats actually quite reasonable.........who are you?

Cam
5/7/2006, 08:49 AM
Oh, and (I can't believe I'm going to say this) I might be talked into changing some of you guys back to your original sign up date to help your <god I hate this stupid ****ing idiotic term> "Spek Hammer". to me, longevity should demand more reputation than post count. does anyone disagree that mosoon or oldsooner should have more rep power than their post counts let on?
That would be summer of 2000 for me. Can't believe I haven't wore out my welcome in 6 years.

colleyvillesooner
5/7/2006, 10:01 AM
I don't remember when I joined!!!!! That's not fair ;)

Change it to whatever you thinks works best.

And if someone complains, remind them that they are bitching about a imaginary number from a message board.

Man, we're nerds :O

Stanley1
5/7/2006, 10:08 AM
Man, I'm a nerd :O

Yep

jk the sooner fan
5/7/2006, 10:10 AM
And if someone complains, remind them that they are bitching about a imaginary number from a message board.

zactly....word yo

it kills me when i see people boasting about having more spek than somebody else.....if you're using spek to boost your self esteem or importance on the board, you've got bigger problems

OUinFLA
5/7/2006, 11:59 AM
I do have bigger problems but they are unrelated to this board.

www.ImsowhinnyIcan'tstandmyself.com
helps me out regularly.

Scott D
5/7/2006, 12:01 PM
zactly....word yo

it kills me when i see people boasting about having more spek than somebody else.....if you're using spek to boost your self esteem or importance on the board, you've got bigger problems

can't argue with that, but a counter arguement would be that it's become an integral part of the board whether we like it or not.

Stanley1
5/7/2006, 12:05 PM
can't argue with that, but a counter arguement would be that it's become an integral part of the board whether we like it or not.

And I'd counter that counter arguement by saying you, ScottyD, are ghey. :texan: ;)

Scott D
5/7/2006, 12:08 PM
And I'd counter that counter arguement by saying you, ScottyD, are ghey. :texan: ;)

the depths of your contributions are overwhelming ;)

I shall counter by saying "That wasn't the particular feeling of your female parental unit as we got intimate this past night. ;)

Stanley1
5/7/2006, 12:14 PM
the depths of your contributions are overwhelming ;)

I shall counter by saying "That wasn't the particular feeling of your female parental unit as we got intimate this past night. ;)

Oh no you di'int. :mad: ;)

Scott D
5/7/2006, 12:16 PM
Oh no you di'int. :mad: ;)

I most certainly believe that colleyville did. ;)

Norm In Norman
5/7/2006, 12:43 PM
I agree that it was fine the way it was....however, there was unfortunately a very concerted effort by a certain poster to abuse it. Now, this wasn't the first time this individual was engaged in abusing something involving the reputation feature. I almost view this as an 'entire class being punished for one student' kind of scenario in regards to it.

I think a bigger part of the problem is that we as users aren't necessarily policing ourselves as well as we could in regards to excesses.

I also haven't had much of an issue with people using the comment portion of reputation for putting in a comment that is relevant to the post itself. I don't however particularly care for the situations where a reputation comment is being used for abusive and threatening language toward the recipient, horn or not.
No, there are lots and lots of users that abuse it. Lots.

The policing comment is right on. Again, back in the "good ol' days" (which people always complain that we talk about) we were really really undermoderated but we didn't have near the fights we have now. Yes, there are more people now but back then the troublemakers got ran off with little moderator help. Now everyone complains so much about everything being fair that it's pretty hard to be fair AND ban a troublemaker.

Scott D
5/7/2006, 12:47 PM
Well I know there were lots of other abuses of it, but I was just naming the 3 or 4 most glaringly obvious abuses of it. The whole using it to get around being banned and making threats and/or derogatory comments toward other users is the other big abuse of it.

jk the sooner fan
5/7/2006, 01:12 PM
i realize that spek is an integral part of the board.....its a tool and i use it, but i try my best not to place any importance on what number i have or dont have

or how "big my hammer" is.....just silly to me

GottaHavePride
5/7/2006, 01:18 PM
i realize that spek is an integral part of the board.....its a tool and i use it, but i try my best not to place any importance on what number i have or dont have

Heh. Or the (at last count) two threads on the football board obsessing over the fact that KyleUT actually has green spek. If I was a mod, I'd move those threads to SO. Or better yet, to "Troubleshooting/Suggestions". Unfortunately, I don't have the power to annoy people willy-nilly.

I can manage to keep KyleUT solidly green just to **** 'em off, though. Sometimes I amuse myself.

Stanley1
5/7/2006, 01:30 PM

Size matters, JK. Just ask the womens. :D

jk the sooner fan
5/7/2006, 01:45 PM
no no, its how you "use it" ;)

leavingthezoo
5/7/2006, 02:18 PM
actually... it's a little o' both. ;)

BajaOklahoma
5/7/2006, 03:36 PM
The negging the n00bs game needs to be mentioned in the FAQs.
It really makes some of the n00bs mad because they can't figure out what they did wrong. So I send a PM and tell them what is up - they deal with it and survive.

yermom
5/7/2006, 03:43 PM
they would get negged less if they weren't starting ghey threads ;)

GottaHavePride
5/7/2006, 03:46 PM
The negging the n00bs game needs to be mentioned in the FAQs.
It really makes some of the n00bs mad because they can't figure out what they did wrong. So I send a PM and tell them what is up - they deal with it and survive.
Or it could just stop. We could actually reserve negging someone for actively flamebaiting, trolling, spamming, and so on. You know, not just for existing.

To use another "back on the old old board" story - people didn't give a **** what school you rooted for when we didn't have the reputation feature. The Sooner vs. Longhorn posting usually stayed in the realm of friendly banter except for the week before OU/TX and people only really made a concerted effort to make life hell for the real idiots flaming about the boards. Like Tibeman.

The revolution is coming! The revolution is coming!

ChickSoonerFan
5/7/2006, 04:37 PM
actually... it's a little o' both. ;)

see...see.....THAT is funny and deserves some spek..

How sad would it be if a comment like that went by unnoticed and not properly speked...it would be a crying shame.

That post alone should be the reason spek exists.

OK..I may have gone a bit overboard...but it was a great post. :D

Scott D
5/7/2006, 04:41 PM
Or it could just stop. We could actually reserve negging someone for actively flamebaiting, trolling, spamming, and so on. You know, not just for existing.

To use another "back on the old old board" story - people didn't give a **** what school you rooted for when we didn't have the reputation feature. The Sooner vs. Longhorn posting usually stayed in the realm of friendly banter except for the week before OU/TX and people only really made a concerted effort to make life hell for the real idiots flaming about the boards. Like Tibeman.

The revolution is coming! The revolution is coming!

yeah but that goes back to the members policing themselves which isn't happening much.

colleyvillesooner
5/7/2006, 05:02 PM
I most certainly believe that colleyville did. ;)

Dude! :mad:

Scott D
5/7/2006, 05:05 PM
Dude! :mad:

are you saying you didn't get intimate in relations with Stanley's female parental unit? ;)

GottaHavePride
5/7/2006, 05:10 PM
yeah but that goes back to the members policing themselves which isn't happening much.

True. When did we devolve into a third-grade class? ;)

leavingthezoo
5/7/2006, 05:18 PM

stop it or i'm telling teacher. :P

Scott D
5/7/2006, 05:19 PM

I blame the refugees from SoonerTimes ;)

nmsoonergirl
5/7/2006, 05:44 PM
see...see.....THAT is funny and deserves some spek..

How sad would it be if a comment like that went by unnoticed and not properly speked...it would be a crying shame.

That post alone should be the reason spek exists.

OK..I may have gone a bit overboard...but it was a great post. :D

If spek was actually tied to wit, Zoo would be the queen of the board and we would all have to give her gifts to win her favor...

GottaHavePride
5/7/2006, 07:10 PM
stop it or i'm telling teacher. :P

Neener neener neener!

Stanley1
5/7/2006, 07:24 PM
are you saying you didn't get intimate in relations with Stanley's female parental unit? ;)

Careful how you answer that CVS. :D

colleyvillesooner
5/7/2006, 10:32 PM
Careful how you answer that CVS. :D

Got it dude. No Problem. totally understand.

psst, Hey Scott.

http://www.bobs.com.br/images/produtos/04-double-cheeseburger_G_.jpg

olevetonahill
5/7/2006, 10:38 PM
I blame the refugees from SoonerTimes ;)
Im a refugee from another board :P
Im gonna apologize for thinking that neggin a :texan: was humorous.
My bad
Later peeps

Scott D
5/8/2006, 01:22 AM
Im a refugee from another board :P
Im gonna apologize for thinking that neggin a :texan: was humorous.
My bad
Later peeps

humorous? sure at times. However regular abuses of the system have negated any effect that may or may not have had. It'd be a non issue if people showed more restraint and self control.

olevetonahill
5/8/2006, 01:31 AM
humorous? sure at times. However regular abuses of the system have negated any effect that may or may not have had. It'd be a non issue if people showed more restraint and self control.
I dont think I abused anything :confused:
So as i said have a good one

sanantoniosooner
5/8/2006, 08:35 AM
We are all so serious about something we think people take too serious.

I'm serious.

OUDoc
5/8/2006, 08:39 AM
We are all so serious about something we think people take too serious.

I'm serious.
Surely you can't be serious.

Mjcpr
5/8/2006, 08:43 AM
Surely you can't be serious.

Seriously, don't call him Shirley.

Fugue
5/8/2006, 08:52 AM
I blame the spek abuse on the a-holes like Doleo, Fugue etc...
Next, those hats will probably want a forum where they can GAMBLE it away....
oh wait....:texan:

Spray
5/8/2006, 09:06 AM
Oh, and (I can't believe I'm going to say this) I might be talked into changing some of you guys back to your original sign up date to help your <GOD term idiotic ****ing stupid this hate I>"Spek Hammer". to me, longevity should demand more reputation than post count. does anyone disagree that mosoon or oldsooner should have more rep power than their post counts let on?

Yes, I don't disagree. I signed up about spring/summer 2000, but my post count is pretty low for that amount of time. I'm a spurt poster.

Well, that's just gross.

NormanPride
5/8/2006, 10:32 AM
I don't think I've seen many good, quality posts from people below a 100 post count. I like the pos/neg thread starting ratio, but I'd suggest 100 for pos, and 200 for neg, but I'm evil like that.

I think someone mentioned a "report spek" feature in another thread, and that sounded like a good idea, though I've never really been attacked...

Personally, if I was a mod I'd edit posts and profiles more. I've been on other boards, and it's HILARIOUS to see a whorn post "I LIKE MY TRICYCLE" in big pink letters with a title like "Sympathizes with Bevo's Balls" after a Mod gets ahold of the post. It's also a good way to diffuse arguments, i.e.

DEAN: Okay, children. Play nice or play with the Shoe.

Still, just a suggestion.

yermom
5/8/2006, 10:41 AM
yeah, i'm thinking more editing vs. deleting might be cool, but that probably takes a lot more work from the mods...

i said the thing about "Report Spek" but i was just messing around with Howzit

yermom
5/8/2006, 10:48 AM
Vive Le Reputation!

OUDoc
5/8/2006, 10:51 AM
I can not, in any way, condone the use of anything French. Maybe a tickler, but that's none of your business.

yermom
5/8/2006, 11:01 AM
mmm... Freedom Fries

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/8/2006, 12:05 PM
and kissing.

etouffee
5/8/2006, 12:26 PM
i think they make a pretty good mustard.

http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/7362/frenchmustard4hp.gif (http://imageshack.us)

etouffee
5/8/2006, 12:28 PM
also bread

http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/3796/frenchbreadimg19oe.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Jimminy Crimson
5/8/2006, 02:05 PM
also bread

http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/3796/frenchbreadimg19oe.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Mmmm, baguettes! :twinkies:

Scott D
5/8/2006, 04:17 PM
so realistically, what may or may not come of this thread?

etouffee
5/8/2006, 04:43 PM
Well, logically, if she weighs the same as a duck, then...

colleyvillesooner
5/8/2006, 05:26 PM
We'll see a change the same day V-Bookie comes back ;)

Stanley1
5/8/2006, 06:56 PM
so realistically, what may or may not come of this thread?

Dunno.....but my guess is, whatever "comes of it" will likely **** somebody off.

GottaHavePride
5/8/2006, 07:01 PM
Dunno.....but my guess is, whatever "comes of it" will likely **** somebody off.

Cue music!

http://myafn.dodmedia.osd.mil/img/tv/criticschoice/LionKing.jpg

The Circle of LIIIIIIIIIIFE!

:eddie:

leavingthezoo
5/8/2006, 08:15 PM
i just wish we could negspek ourselves. i tick me off lots.

slickdawg
5/8/2006, 08:17 PM

I agree with GDC - it was amlmost theraputic to be able to spek folks with
significant spek. I EARNED my way to over a million, but yes, I got too
busy laughing and playing the the spekfest thread. But to be honest, it
was 90+ percent "regulars" in the spekfest just having fun.

Doleo got me in tears with the "giv nyh peeple ghreen", I still laugh to date about that.

My .02? No spek for noobs - can't give it or get it until 100 posts.
Let the "elders" have spek like it was - that is, if you are past a close
confidante of Barry Switzer, you get your spek hammer back.

Teh dramamtically reduced spek values are demoralizing. That takes away
from the charm of sf, particularly the SO.

GottaHavePride
5/8/2006, 08:22 PM
See, spek is funny when you have people like dolemite, that don't actually care about it and feel free to abuse it in ridiculously humorous ways. But too many people around here get all uppity about it. I had fun on this board before spek, and I'll continue to have fun whatever the mods decide to do to the spek system.

GottaHavePride
5/8/2006, 08:28 PM
It occurs to me, the one feature of this board I'd really like to kill is the flood control. I mean, I can see the usefulness on gamedays, but so many times I post in one thread, move to another, read the thread, type an appropriate (and hilarious!) response, hit enter, and get the "You must wait 15 seconds and try again" message.

OUDoc
5/8/2006, 09:20 PM
...type an appropriate (and hilarious!) response,...
Who is this newb?

yermom
5/8/2006, 09:28 PM
It occurs to me, the one feature of this board I'd really like to kill is the flood control. I mean, I can see the usefulness on gamedays, but so many times I post in one thread, move to another, read the thread, type an appropriate (and hilarious!) response, hit enter, and get the "You must wait 15 seconds and try again" message.

yeah, it sucks, i usually have tabs with different threads open and i hit the flood control all the time :mad:

OUinFLA
5/8/2006, 09:31 PM
tabs with different threads open?

Hello, my name is yermom, and Im an internet addict........

yermom
5/8/2006, 09:46 PM
threads, PMs, Pandora, email, slashdot...

i can't just do one thing at a time :)

Howzit
5/8/2006, 09:46 PM

Plus, the 30 second FC on Peems makes cybering virtually impossible.

Get it? Virtually impossible?

OUinFLA
5/8/2006, 09:48 PM

nah, it just makes it last longer......................oh, wait!

sanantoniosooner
5/8/2006, 09:49 PM
Get it? Virtually impossible?
I'd spek you if it wasn't obsolete.

booomer
5/8/2006, 11:07 PM

Right now it's being tweaked so that it can actually be a useful feature on the board. At some point, it began being abused and right now, it's not really even useful other than sending a short message in lieu of a PM. The reputation points themselves have become meaningless.

There's a feature on the board that allows us to lock out noobs from starting a thread until they reach a certain reputation level and/or have a certain number of posts. This will almost eliminate spam threads, and will also allow noobs with good attitudes to advance.

Right now, we're playing with the calculations so that it becomes more in line with the way it was designed to be used. The default setting (and one that you can't change without digging deep into the php code) is that you get one green bar for every 100 points of reputation. We had folks that were able to give out 500 x that with one hit.

It's my opinion, that longevity and even total posts should have more of an impact than two new guys getting into a circle spekFest and jumping into the top 10 of reputation.

Right now, it's set so that you can give out 15 per day and can't hit the same person again until you give out 15 others. The calculation has also been changed to put more weight on #of posts and time on the board than on total amount of reputation that you have.

This shouldn't reduce drastically the amount that you can receive as I don't think most folks give out 15 per day anyway, but it will reduce the amount you can receive from any one person.

It's possible that the whole thing will need to start over at zero due to the inflated numbers that most folks have. Especially since it will put new people at a disadvantage as far as never ever being able to pass anyone on the ranking scale.

Your thoughts?

The goal here isn't to be mean, but simply to make the feature mean something and even use it as a way to make the board better for everyone.

:( It took me a long time to get my few points.....

Could you spot me a few if you decide to start over? :D

slickdawg
5/9/2006, 07:40 AM
Oh, and for the number of posts versus spek - if we put something in place
that you have to have 500 or 1000 posts, then we'll get a barrage of
crap posts.

And what about folks that just don't post much? Mr .02 for example.
He farks - he farks a lot. He's got spek out the wazoo for his exceptional farking.

Perhaps strike a balance between the two.

NormanPride
5/9/2006, 11:11 AM
Mr .02 is a one-off situation, which makes it unwise to plan an entire feature around him (no matter how funny the Saint's QB fark was).

I think GHP is trying very hard to hide his almost obsessive love of the spek system. I fear a complete emotional breakdown if it changes, and that would make me sad. ;)

slickdawg
5/9/2006, 12:31 PM
Here is the solution, we'll call it an AL-GORE-RITHIM

Sponsor level * number of posts = spek you can give

Where Sponsor level is:

1 - Not a sponsor
2 - bronze sponsor
3 - gold
4 - ...... and so on

So a bronze sponsor with 2000 posts would see his spek be worth 4000 points.

Capiche?

Mjcpr
5/9/2006, 01:02 PM
I wish I was allowed to spek someone. I'm 0 for about my last 10.

slickdawg
5/9/2006, 01:28 PM
That's another thing - no spek limits for sponsors!!!!

Beef
5/9/2006, 01:43 PM
I wish Meano would neg me more often. It makes me happy in my pants.

IB4OU2
5/9/2006, 01:55 PM
I wish I was allowed to spek someone. I'm 0 for about my last 10.

Same here..........I guess I can't Spek the same ones all the time.

Scott D
5/9/2006, 01:57 PM
That's another thing - no spek limits for sponsors!!!!

we had that once....then doleo got ahold of it.

yermom
5/9/2006, 02:04 PM
is it good or bad that he gets all the credit for that?

yermom
5/9/2006, 02:14 PM
ok, the points are one thing, but the act of giving spek is pretty cool

spreading spek is killing me :mad:

i think i'm going to start ending all my posts with YMSSRA ;)

Scott D
5/9/2006, 02:18 PM
is it good or bad that he gets all the credit for that?

well you were feigning semi-innocence from the first day....doleo never did :P

yermom
5/9/2006, 02:26 PM
heh, it's kinda like how Panz gets blamed for crashing the board back in the day ;)

jeremy885
5/9/2006, 04:23 PM
:mad:

This new spek thing sucks. I used to be able to neg a newb to oblivion, but when I negged Cack5, he only had a total of 2 red dots.

StoopTroup
5/9/2006, 04:28 PM
Wait till I hit him.

Sooner_Bob
5/9/2006, 05:10 PM
maybe people with negative reputation should have a higher flood control time ;)

you know, like 24 hours

excellent idea :)

Sooner_Bob
5/9/2006, 05:20 PM
I wonder when Dan Brown is gonna write a book about spek?

Oh, and I do believe I signed up in July of 2001.

GDC
5/9/2006, 05:21 PM
December 1999?

yermom
5/9/2006, 05:25 PM
i don't remember really, sometime in 2001 or 2002 i think

i lurked for a long time...

i remember not really knowing what the IT was on the old board, and Panz starting on Chrissy Farks

Scott D
5/26/2006, 04:23 PM
Bumping this to ask when Operation: Anti-Spam will begin.

yermom
5/26/2006, 04:39 PM
you don't like my crazy1881 trolls?

dolemitesooner
5/26/2006, 11:23 PM
**** you guys ;) It was his idea

yermom
5/26/2006, 11:27 PM
i don't even remember who's idea it was :D

SelmaBamaFan
5/27/2006, 08:14 AM
I started up the January before our first game.... 2002 was it?

I shoulda came to the SF.com tailgate for that game, but I was too hung over to do anything... much.

slickdawg
5/27/2006, 11:36 AM
So are they ever gonna make our spekkers back like they were?

GottaHavePride
5/27/2006, 04:46 PM
I think that's a no.

Sooner_Bob
5/27/2006, 06:44 PM
So I'm gonna be stuck at just under 9 mill for my spek total forever?? :eek:

StoopTroup
5/27/2006, 11:52 PM
Things were fine around here until the Husker admin in the SO. :D

dolemitesooner
5/28/2006, 01:00 AM
i don't even remember who's idea it was :D
I'll help you

YOURS BITCHJ:mad:

OU4LIFE
6/2/2006, 11:04 AM

Your thoughts?

I find your spek rating of "Beano's Fourth Chin hates Alabama more than Beano" to be redundant.

GottaHavePride
6/2/2006, 01:01 PM
I find your spek rating of "Beano's Fourth Chin hates Alabama more than Beano" to be redundant.

Maybe he hates Alabama more than he hates himself. Then it would be accurate. ;)

Harry Beanbag
6/3/2006, 04:47 PM
I've noticed my spek hammer has shrunk to almost nothing. I spekked a noob the other day and it only added one green dot. That's not helping out my fragile ego. :(

OUDoc
6/3/2006, 08:42 PM
I've noticed my spek hammer has shrunk to almost nothing. I spekked a noob the other day and it only added one green dot. That's not helping out my fragile ego. :(
Yeah. Spek isn't as much fun now (not that it was that much fun before), which was "their" point. Someone's happy, our lives are all just a little duller now (not that it was that much fun before). :rolleyes:

GDC
6/4/2006, 12:30 AM
Yeah. Spek isn't as much fun now (not that it was that much fun before), which was "their" point. Someone's happy, our lives are all just a little duller now (not that it was that much fun before). :rolleyes:

Sad but true

Jimminy Crimson
6/4/2006, 02:53 AM
yeah buddy

SelmaBamaFan
6/4/2006, 03:45 AM

heh I had to double check and make sure I didnt have that spek rating :D

GDC
6/4/2006, 12:48 PM
I gave up on trying to offer any ideas or constructive criticism of the board, it only gets you black-balled.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/4/2006, 09:49 PM
This is my first time to post in this thread, because I really couldn't care less about the feature. I will say that sometimes people use it to be nasty and I think there should be recourse for that.

Also, sometimes newbs have genuine questions/topics for a thread. I think 100 posts is a little steep if someone just wants to put some extra tickets on the swap board for example. Maybe you could say 100 posts on the SO.

dolemitesooner
6/4/2006, 10:03 PM
spek is very gay now......night as well just take it off the board all together

yermom
6/5/2006, 02:53 AM
This is my first time to post in this thread, because I really couldn't care less about the feature. I will say that sometimes people use it to be nasty and I think there should be recourse for that.

Also, sometimes newbs have genuine questions/topics for a thread. I think 100 posts is a little steep if someone just wants to put some extra tickets on the swap board for example. Maybe you could say 100 posts on the SO.

i could see that forum having a different set of rules...

it is nice buying cheap tickets from n00bs sometimes :D

OUDoc
6/5/2006, 08:27 AM
Sad but true
Welcome back!

Howzit
6/5/2006, 08:58 AM
I'd like to thank Beano for leaving my hammer at it's previous level. I know you told me to keep it quiet, but I just can't help it. YOU'RE THE BEST BEANS!!!1

nmsoonergirl
6/5/2006, 10:10 AM
So, do you still stop giving blue spek at 500 posts? I'm curious, since my post count is pretty low (somedays I plan on post padding, but can never actually go through with it...). I'm gonna spek the people who posted on this page--let me know if it's blue (I KNOW it will be tiny, I'm just curious if it's green).

OUDoc
6/5/2006, 11:47 AM
So, do you still stop giving blue spek at 500 posts? I'm curious, since my post count is pretty low (somedays I plan on post padding, but can never actually go through with it...). I'm gonna spek the people who posted on this page--let me know if it's blue (I KNOW it will be tiny, I'm just curious if it's green).
You're green!

(I KNOW it will be tiny, I'm just curious if it's green)
You're the first, and hopefully the last, woman to say that to me. ;)

nmsoonergirl
6/5/2006, 12:26 PM
You're the first, and hopefully the last, woman to say that to me. ;)[/QUOTE]

EEEWWWW!

Oh, and Doc, I know you can appreciate this: I have a 2pm-2am ED shift today, and that is offically and completely my LAST day of freaking residency. Ask me how much I'm going to drink the next 24 hours;)

OUDoc
6/5/2006, 12:44 PM
Oh, and Doc, I know you can appreciate this: I have a 2pm-2am ED shift today, and that is offically and completely my LAST day of freaking residency. Ask me how much I'm going to drink the next 24 hours;)
Congrats! You'll probably drink enough to end up back in that same ER by 2AM tomorrow night! Enjoy your last days of servitude to The Man. :)

ouflak
6/9/2006, 09:07 AM
Well, reputation is dead now. VBookie still isn't working. This board seems to be going through a dark age at the moment. Hope the guys can get things back to being fun again someday soon.

bri
6/9/2006, 09:47 AM
Oh, I don't know...I'm enjoying having to claw my up from nothing and rebuld my street cred. :D

yermom
6/9/2006, 10:28 AM
vBookie broke spek in the first place ;)

jeremy885
6/9/2006, 10:43 AM
You and Doleo broke spek in the first place ;)

bri
6/9/2006, 12:46 PM
Spek broke spek!

OUDoc
6/9/2006, 02:03 PM
Oh, I don't know...I'm enjoying having to claw my up from nothing and rebuld my street cred. :D
Freakin' noob.

:cool:

bri
6/9/2006, 02:05 PM
I HATE CLIQUES!!!!! :mad:

jeremy885
6/9/2006, 03:09 PM
I HATE CLIQUES!!!!! :mad:

Yet you want DX to reform. :confused:

bri
6/9/2006, 03:29 PM
I hate cliques, not The Kliq. :D

bri
6/9/2006, 05:31 PM
is there any way that we can return unwanted spek?

OUDoc
6/9/2006, 08:19 PM
is there any way that we can return unwanted spek?
Doleo will take it. He's easy like that.

bri
6/9/2006, 08:56 PM
Then BEND OVER, SALLIE MAE, 'CAUSE HERE COMES THE GRAVY PIPE!!!

GottaHavePride
6/10/2006, 01:33 AM
http://www.thelin.net/laurent/cinema/photos/le_sherif_est_en_prison/harvey_korman.jpg

Kinky....

Sooner_Bob
6/10/2006, 10:47 AM
spek just isn't what it used to be . . .

etouffee
6/12/2006, 09:39 AM
ya know, i thought i didn't really care, but after a few weeks, i miss the spek. people have stopped giving it, or at least backed off a lot, since it has no impact. my ego is jonesing bigtime.

NormanPride
6/12/2006, 09:44 AM
Have you ever considered the fact that no one finds you funny anymore?

etouffee
6/12/2006, 09:48 AM
no

bri
6/12/2006, 03:50 PM
See, that's the first funny thing you've said. :D

GDC
6/15/2006, 02:20 PM
Man, at this rate I'll never break 30 million.:mad:

OUDoc
6/15/2006, 04:35 PM
Man, at this rate I'll never break 30 million.:mad:
I'll never break 5 million(4,913,308). I'll be stuck hating Alabama more than Beano forever. :mad:

Howzit
6/18/2006, 12:56 PM
ya know, i thought i didn't really care, but after a few weeks, i miss the spek. people have stopped giving it, or at least backed off a lot, since it has no impact. my ego is jonesing bigtime.

Yes, thanks for ruining my life Beano and Norm.

Scott D
6/18/2006, 01:18 PM
I think we need more serious/good ideas that can/should be implimented to make that feature fun again....including Vbookie.

Fugue
7/10/2006, 01:53 PM
I don't care about the size of my spek but I would like to be able to use it without having to spread first. I wouldn't care if my calculator were turned down to 1 point per spek transaction cause I've got like 5 people I need to hit and I can't. I guess I'll go cheap shot some noobs. :D

Stanley1
7/10/2006, 07:40 PM
I think we need more serious/good ideas that can/should be implimented to make that feature fun again....including Vbookie.

If you were to die, it'd be more fun.

Just sayin'. :)

Al Gore
7/10/2006, 07:50 PM
Maybe we'll drop him into the Al Gore user group for a day or so.

High class....baby!!!!!

You are all jealous!!!!

BajaOklahoma
7/10/2006, 08:19 PM
High class....baby!!!!!

You are all jealous!!!!

How did you sneak in?
Alert! Alert! Emergency Delete! Emergency Delete!

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/10/2006, 08:43 PM
Well, that was weird. No idea how that happened.

bri
7/10/2006, 09:49 PM
Maybe the sheer volume of whining ripped a hole in the very fabric of space and time?

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/10/2006, 09:56 PM
Maybe the sheer volume of whining ripped a hole in the very fabric of space and time?

Possible.

However, the white hot intensity of my hate is normally enough to counteract the whineon. I'll have to work on that.

BajaOklahoma
7/10/2006, 11:01 PM
Is Al Gore really Beano's troll?

OUDoc
7/11/2006, 08:01 AM
Is Al Gore really Beano's troll?
The anti-Beano. Don't let them meet.

StoopTroup
7/12/2006, 08:10 PM
High class....baby!!!!!

You are all jealous!!!!
Now that's funny.

He must have bribed a mod with some pictures.

OUDoc
12/6/2006, 02:32 PM
I'll never break 5 million(4,913,308). I'll be stuck hating Alabama more than Beano forever. :mad:
Now at 4,928,942. Still stuck hating Alabama 6 months later. :texan:

sanantoniosooner
12/7/2006, 12:28 AM

I will not live to see that 1 turn over.

I swear that speks involve decimal points now.

instigator
12/7/2006, 03:10 AM
You know talking about spek usually makes Beano bring out the big neg hammer, right?

sanantoniosooner
12/7/2006, 08:15 AM
You know talking about spek usually makes Beano bring out the big neg hammer, right?
meh.

a pos is worthless.

a neg is half of that the other way.

jk the sooner fan
12/7/2006, 08:22 AM
they keep bri busy!