View Full Version : well, I'm off to see United 93

Okla-homey
5/6/2006, 01:22 PM
I'll report later.

out.

Okla-homey
5/6/2006, 03:36 PM
Absolutely stunning.

Poignant, gritty, terrifying, saddening, maddening --all at once.

No way to know for sure what happened aboard, but the scenario the film depicts seems plausible under the circumstances.

I think people should go see it. I don't think children nor people who are exceptionally sensitive to graphic violence or scenes of tragedy should see it.

I think its also a very stark reminder we are at war with a determined foe inspired by complete devotion to a sick and twisted branch of one of the world's major religions.

It is also a reminder that life changed forever in this country on Sep 11.

olevetonahill
5/6/2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the report Homey
Im not a big movie type person but Ill prolly go see this

slickdawg
5/6/2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the report Homey!

Going to the movies is hard for us to do right now, slickdaughter kinda
likes having us home. :D

Okla-homey
5/6/2006, 03:50 PM
It ain't a date flick that's for sure.

fadada1
5/6/2006, 05:46 PM
It ain't a date flick that's for sure.
neither were shindler's list or private ryan... but look at the effect they had. i'll be sure to see it.

i was super pi**ed after watching the TV one (on A&E). any chance i'll have a different reaction?

Okla-homey
5/6/2006, 06:02 PM
neither were shindler's list or private ryan... but look at the effect they had. i'll be sure to see it.

i was super pi**ed after watching the TV one (on A&E). any chance i'll have a different reaction?

I wanted to put the smackdown on somebody afterwards that's for sure.

StoopTroup
5/6/2006, 06:21 PM
I wanted to put the smackdown on somebody afterwards that's for sure.
When we went to Super Bowl XXXVI in the Superdome, we were sitting with the New England Fans. When they scrolled the names of the fallen of all four flights on the walls of the Superdome...I started to lose it. I wasn't alone either. After the game I met a Police Officer that was part of Boston's "First Responders" to the WTC. We talked for a few minutes about it and it seemed like he could still use some therapy IMO.

I know folks are troubled about all the problems with the TSA folks at the airport, but the new rules regarding security are for the best IMO.

In time the kinks in the system will probably become less and the security will become less obtrusive. I hope so anyway.

May God Bless the Fallen Heros...at Home and Away.

boomersooner28
5/6/2006, 10:00 PM
I felt every single emotion I knew I had and a few that I didn't know I had seing that movie. I sat there quiet for about 5 minutes when it was over. Draining.

Stanley1
5/6/2006, 10:25 PM
I watched the one on tv a few nights ago too. Just brutal to think back and see how the entire world, essentially, changed on that day.

OklahomaTuba
5/6/2006, 11:31 PM
Glad they finally made a movie about this that isn't bastardized by the likes of Micheal Moore, Robert Redford, etc.

I have yet to see it, but I hope to soon.

olevetonahill
5/6/2006, 11:32 PM
I felt every single emotion I knew I had and a few that I didn't know I had seing that movie. I sat there quiet for about 5 minutes when it was over. Draining.
Thanks for that . No way I can watch it then . SPR took me 6 months to get past the 1st 5 minutes . Yes I paid the rental fees that long . I was determined to watch . Then I paid the price

chriscappel
5/6/2006, 11:33 PM
i was wondering how that would turn out....i think im gonna go see it my next day off...Monday

chriscappel
5/6/2006, 11:34 PM
Thanks for that . No way I can watch it then . SPR took me 6 months to get past the 1st 5 minutes . Yes I paid the rental fees that long . I was determined to watch . Then I paid the price

SPR??

pb4ou
5/6/2006, 11:37 PM
This was my favorite part...

Randy: Can I get you something?
Second Jive Dude: 'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!
Randy: I'm sorry, I don't understand.
First Jive Dude: Cutty say 'e can't HANG!
Jive Lady: Oh stewardess! I speak jive.
Randy: Oh, good.
Jive Lady: He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.
Randy: All right. Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine?
Jive Lady: Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da' rebound on da' med side.
Second Jive Dude: What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap!
Jive Lady: Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!
First Jive Dude: Say 'e can't hang, say seven up!
Jive Lady: Jive @ss dude don't got no brains anyhow! Hmmph!

Oh wait...that was the other plane one :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
5/6/2006, 11:38 PM
SPR??
Saving Private Ryan

chriscappel
5/6/2006, 11:41 PM
ah yes...great movie...My buddys grandpa was involved in Normandy...He said that was the most accurate portrayal he had ever seen...he said it gave him nightmares...God rest his soul....

yermom
5/6/2006, 11:41 PM
Saving Private Ryan

i was trying to duck during that D-Day scene in the theater, it was just crazy

i can't imagine what that would be like after actually being "in the sh!t"

olevetonahill
5/7/2006, 12:01 AM
i was trying to duck during that D-Day scene in the theater, it was just crazy

i can't imagine what that would be like after actually being "in the sh!t"
" Broken Arrow " comes close for some of us
Or was it "we were soldiers" ?
Never mind I gotta go nite all

AlbqSooner
5/7/2006, 07:14 AM
We Were Soldiers was the movie Olvet.

Took my dad to see Saving Private Ryan. He sat silent for the first five minutes. Obviously he felt it very deeply. He didn't do Normandy but he did beach landings in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. After the movie he only said, "Well, it wasn't like that all the time."

King Crimson
5/7/2006, 07:55 AM
my granddad said the same thing--he was in Italy and Sicily (ironic since his mother was Italian)--and flew on some of the highest casualty bombing missions in WW II--Ploesti, etc.

"that about what it was like".

Okla-homey
5/7/2006, 12:02 PM
my granddad said the same thing--he was in Italy and Sicily (ironic since his mother was Italian)--and flew on some of the highest casualty bombing missions in WW II--Ploesti, etc.

"that about what it was like".

Mega spek to Crimson grandpaw. Ploesti was one of the biggest miscalculations by a European theater numbered AF ever.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/5121/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Great courage amid horrible confusion.

While Allied and Axis forces were battling in Sicily, the AAF staged one of the war's most daring heavy bomber raids. The target was the Ploesti oil fields in Rumania, estimated to be supplying 60% of Germany's crude oil requirements.

Shortly after dawn on August 1, 1943, 9AF B-24 "Liberators" took off from bases in Libya and headed toward the heavily defended target, deep inside enemy territory a thousand miles away. Over Bulgaria, clouds broke up the B-24 formations and the bombing elements became widely separated. Tracked by German radar which dutifully and efficiently alerted Rumanian defenses, the B-24s arrived over the target at treetop height without the planned element of surprise. :eek:

There were elements of at least 4 kraut fighter wings which were able to be positioned to meet, harass and destroy the attacking bombers. What's worse, the bombers flew so low and the crews had to pay so much attention to avoid flying into stuff or the ground, they couldn't give maximum attention to beating away the fighters. Further, their bottom (ball) turret gunners never even got a shot in as the Luftwaffe Messerschmidts and Focke-Wulfs dove on them from above.

Despite intense defensive fire from the ground and from the Axis planes, the 9AF "Libs" pressed the attack. In the confusion of battle, some B-24s made bombing runs through heavy smoke over targets that had already been attacked and were caught in the bursts of delayed action bombs dropped several minutes previously.

In sum, it was a bloodbath and a gigantic cluster-f---. Although overall damage to the target was heavy, the cost was phenomenal. Of 177 planes and 1,726 men who took off on the mission, 54 planes and 532 men failed to return. That's a 30% loss in bombers and crewmembers. We could make more bombers, but the loss of 1 in 3 experienced crewmembers hurt the 9AF very badly.

As bombers were hit, they just plunged the few hundred feet into the ground and the crews never had a chance to bail-out -- even if they had, you needed 500 feet to get a good parachute canopy, so parachutes were useless.

The guys who flew that raid had gonads the size of cannonballs.

Sooner95
5/8/2006, 08:13 AM
Wife and I are going to go see this tonite. Has taken us a bit of time to decide to go or not..being here in NY, its a little different and can only imagine some of the comments during and after this movie in the theature.

Boffingham
5/8/2006, 08:33 AM
I'm interested to see how they "think" the plane went down. I have my theory...

sooner n houston
5/8/2006, 09:09 AM
Wife and I are going to go see this tonite. Has taken us a bit of time to decide to go or not..being here in NY, its a little different and can only imagine some of the comments during and after this movie in the theature.

Please report back on what is said/heard, Thanks.

Kimberlyz4OU
5/8/2006, 12:12 PM
Boff.......i saw it last weekend, they don't really go into the reasons the plane went down. There is a scuffle, the plane starts plunging downward then blackness, movie over.

What is your theory?

sooneron
5/8/2006, 12:38 PM
I'm going to go see it after work this week with some friends in the city. That should be a little intense.

sooner n houston
5/8/2006, 02:37 PM
Boff.......i saw it last weekend, they don't really go into the reasons the plane went down. There is a scuffle, the plane starts plunging downward then blackness, movie over.

What is your theory?

Not boff, but from reading the cockpit recording transcripts, it sounds like the terrorist decided to crash the plane to kepp the passengers from taking over. JMHO.

picasso
5/8/2006, 02:40 PM
Not boff, but from reading the cockpit recording transcripts, it sounds like the terrorist decided to crash the plane to kepp the passengers from taking over. JMHO.
that's the way I saw it.
I know it was mass hysteria but I would have tried stabbing the terrorist pilot in the back of the neck. the same way they took over the plane.