PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - how to be a "good" soccer parent

Chuck Bao
5/6/2006, 06:41 AM
I got a call from my little godson early this morning and he wants me to watch him play soccer tomorrow morning at 9am.

I'm so proud of him and his brother.

He's nine and his brother is eight. They're both playing at the 50,000-seat Rajamangala Stadium in Bangkok tomorrow.

http://www.fussballtempel.net/afc/THA/Rajmangala.jpg

I haven't seen them play yet, but I understand they're pretty good.

Last year, they were selected to take part in a training camp in Denmark for several weeks. Amazing that training starts that young.

And, it's pretty amazing that two little kids that young will just board a flight and fly halfway around the world without their parents. But, I already knew these two kids were pretty fearless.

Okay, the thing is I need coaching on being a good soccer godparent.

I don't know soccer but I know how to yell GOAL when one is scored!

Anything else I should know?

PS: I'm still giggling about the Bumble Bee soccer discription someone posted a while back. Who was that? Anyway kudos to you.

Flagstaffsooner
5/6/2006, 06:55 AM
Yellow card is all I know.

Chuck Bao
5/6/2006, 07:03 AM
So, a yellow card is like a hanky in football or a foul in basketball?

Is this common for the little soccer leagues?

Flagstaffsooner
5/6/2006, 07:36 AM
As I remember its like a threat from Dean. If you get two of them you are baned.

Yellow CardA serious "caution". Two in one game & a player is shown a "Red Card" & ejected. (See "Cards (http://www.soccerhelp.com/Soccer_Tips_Dictionary_Terms_C.shtml#cards)" and "Rules (http://www.soccerhelp.com/Soccer_Tips_Dictionary_Terms_R.shtml#rules)").

Chuck Bao
5/6/2006, 07:44 AM
Okay, I'll be prepared for that red card thing.

These two little boys are pretty bad *** bruisers for being nine and eight.

What do you call a bad soccer ref? It is ref, not umpire or official?

BajaOklahoma
5/6/2006, 12:57 PM
A red card also requires the player to sit out the next game.
It is a ref and you do NOT talk to the ref - ever. No comments to the linesmen either. Do not make negative comments that the ref can hear.
Do not coach the players - let the coach do that.

No negative comments.

BoomerJack
5/6/2006, 01:30 PM
Try to bite your tongue when you perceive that your kids' team is getting shafted by a perceived bad call by the refs.

I know it's corny and I'll probably get ripped a new one but, try to remember, it's only a game.

Scott D
5/6/2006, 01:33 PM
Try to bite your tongue when you perceive that your kids' team is getting shafted by a perceived bad call by the refs.

I know it's corny and I'll probably get ripped a new one but, try to remember, it's only a game.

Sound advice...also remember that at 8 or 9 they aren't the next Pele or Ronaldinho or Zidane, or even the next Beckham. Basically don't be the classic 'living out my frustrated athetic dreams through my kid' parent type.

Jimminy Crimson
5/6/2006, 01:34 PM
The Tampa Bay Bucs used to play there! ;)