PDA

View Full Version : Hasheem Thabeet

william_brasky
5/5/2006, 09:17 PM
7-2 Center out of Houston is interested in playing for Capel.

He still needs to qualify.

It is said that he's not a project. He can score on the block, block shots, and rebound.

I've never heard of this kid before just now.

If we got this kid I'd pee my pants. :twinkies:

oumartin
5/5/2006, 09:58 PM
he wants to go somewhere he can get better every year. He was wanting to go to Indiana but recently changed his mind.

sooner518
5/5/2006, 10:45 PM
well, he's only gotta be better than Longar. I wouldnt say that that is such a tall order.

Newbomb Turk
5/5/2006, 10:46 PM
rare are the times you can still get a dig in on Kelvin.

OUstud
5/6/2006, 12:23 AM
I'm just excited to hear Bob Barry pronounce his name.

Soonerwolf
5/6/2006, 07:28 AM
he wants to go somewhere he can get better every year. He was wanting to go to Indiana but recently changed his mind.

Seems like IU ran thier competent coach out of town and brought in a sanctions situation who is loading up on JUCO talent . . .

william_brasky
5/6/2006, 08:53 AM
you guys suck.

Someone posts some info about a new recruit, and y'all reply with 'Kelvin sucks', 'Longar's no good', 'Bob Barry sucks', 'IU/Kelvin sucks'.

Nice attitude fellahs.

Rhino
5/6/2006, 10:28 AM
From a rivals article:

Those who didn't show up missed one of the fastest rising prospects in the class of 2006 and a performance that proved why.

Hasheem Thabeet threw down a handful of powerful, two-handed dunks and swatted a number of blocks to lead the Houston Junior Hardballers to a 54-52 win in overtime over the Illinois Wolves. Monice Garrett banked in a jumper at the buzzer to seal the victory.

Recruiting interest has exploded for the lanky African center, who recently took a visit to Connecticut.

"UConn, Miami, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are all involved," Houston Junior Hardballers coach Rory Coleman said.

Coleman said that Thabeet isn't leaning anywhere yet and hasn't planned anymore visits either. He wants to wait and see what other schools will get involved as the AAU season rolls on and they get a chance to see him.

Most college coaches hadn't heard of Thabeet, who has been in the U.S. for about a year and a half, a month ago. After moving from California and enrolling at the Cypress (Texas) Community School last year, he was ruled ineligible to play for last season.

But, that hasn't stopped the imposing big man from working on his game. Thabeet did a good job getting position in the post and drew several fouls. He also did a solid job on the boards.

"Hasheem is improving every time he gets on the court," Coleman said. "It's unbelievable. Just six months ago he couldn't even catch the ball. He has come so far in such a short time."

Thabeet may have to spend another year working on his game before getting to college. Coleman said he hasn't achieved a qualifying score on the SAT yet and if he doesn't will go to prep school next season.

GottaHavePride
5/6/2006, 10:49 AM
That sounds awesome! I like that he seems like a worker. I'm betting most of his trouble qualifying is just learning the language.

birddog
5/6/2006, 10:50 AM
gazoontite

sooner518
5/6/2006, 11:13 AM
you guys suck.

Someone posts some info about a new recruit, and y'all reply with 'Kelvin sucks', 'Longar's no good', 'Bob Barry sucks', 'IU/Kelvin sucks'.

Nice attitude fellahs.
I wasnt trying to say that Longar sucks. I just wanted to make a little pun.

Big Red Ron
5/6/2006, 11:14 AM
Sounds like Longer but longer.

oumartin
5/6/2006, 03:18 PM
glad brasky wasn't talkin' to me.. :D

Remembering Tom Stidham
5/6/2006, 03:52 PM
Bob Barry DOES suck!

SoonerShark
5/6/2006, 06:04 PM
Bob Barry DOES suck!

At his age, we'll see how well you, too, can chew.

birddog
5/7/2006, 04:12 PM
it's been roughly 24 hrs. since the last post on this board. that kind of drought would have our former coach feeling right at home.

oumartin
5/7/2006, 04:24 PM
oh, i could post but it would make people mad

stoopified
5/7/2006, 04:42 PM
well, he's only gotta be better than Longar. I wouldnt say that that is such a tall order.IMHO L2 WILL suprise people with his play this year. He a much more gifted player than Jabhari was and is a much harder worker.That being said we do indeed need more size inside.

This new kid sounds like a project to me ,being a late arrival on D-1 radar much like Walker.At this point we may have to take ANY help we can get.

jccouger
5/7/2006, 04:45 PM
I watched him play last week in Dallas while I was playing in a AAU tournament there. He is tall, but it looks like he doesnt know what he was doing out there. Ecspecially on offense. On defense he was a factor blocking shots though. It shouldnt be that hard for the coach to just tell him to stand under the basket and make sure that the ball doesnt go through the hoop.

He is DEFINIATLLY a project.

william_brasky
5/8/2006, 05:12 PM
I watched him play last week in Dallas while I was playing in a AAU tournament there. He is tall, but it looks like he doesnt know what he was doing out there. Ecspecially on offense. On defense he was a factor blocking shots though. It shouldnt be that hard for the coach to just tell him to stand under the basket and make sure that the ball doesnt go through the hoop.

He is DEFINIATLLY a project.

thanks for the inside scoop jccouger.

so, it sounds like he's raw but extremely athletic and has some sense for the game on the defensive side of the ball.

reports I have read indicate that his offensive game has really picked up in the last month of AAU games by scoring 20+ in a number of games to go with close to 20 rebounds in a game or two.

birddog
5/8/2006, 07:58 PM
thanks for the inside scoop jccouger.

so, it sounds like he's raw but extremely athletic and has some sense for the game on the defensive side of the ball.

reports I have read indicate that his offensive game has really picked up in the last month of AAU games by scoring 20+ in a number of games to go with close to 20 rebounds in a game or two.
it'll be cool if we sign him to see how he develops from his freshman year to his senior year. it will say alot for capel and what's to follow.

william_brasky
5/8/2006, 08:14 PM
it would speak volumes if Capel got the kid to sign an LOI.

Calhoun/UConn is after the kid and in the mix too.

william_brasky
5/9/2006, 11:20 AM
some Pokes believe that they have this kid wrapped up and that he will sign with them this week.

take that for what it's worth.

King Crimson
5/9/2006, 11:26 AM
some Pokes believe that they have this kid wrapped up and that he will sign with them this week.

take that for what it's worth.

well, after seeing Aaron Pettway rule the paint for the last few years....i can see how that would a natural course of events. :rolleyes: