PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Jam on Letterman last night

Shaz-Bot
5/5/2006, 11:50 AM
I don't know if any of you caught it, but Pearl Jam played on Letterman last night. Prior to the show taping, they played a free 50 minute concert in the Ed Sullivan Theatre for fan club members. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

Anyway, a webcast of the entire mini-concert is available at: http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/live_on_letterman/

You must have Real Player installed. The sound and video is high quality.

They focus on the new album, but throw in "Why Go" and "Porch" from back in the day. Enjoy.

Shaz-Bot

sooneron
5/5/2006, 12:05 PM
Pretty cool. They still rock in my book. They make the music they want to and don't pander to the execs. Yet, still sell out the big shows. They should play a free concert for people, the ticket prices for this tour are really high!

Barney
5/5/2006, 12:37 PM
Ten is one of the greatest albums ever made.

yermom
5/5/2006, 12:45 PM
Ten is one of the greatest albums ever made.

yeah, start to finish it's greatness

PJ's beef with Ticketmaster really sucked, they never played anywhere around here for so long. i was so glad to finally see them in 2003 at the Ford Center

of course, i haven't seen any dates close this time :(

Petro-Sooner
5/5/2006, 12:45 PM
Speaking of Ten, I understand it was named after the number Mookie wore at OU correct? But why? What connection does the band have with Mookie?

yermom
5/5/2006, 12:46 PM
they are big NBA fans

they wanted to name the band Mookie Blaylock, but had to change it for some reason

Barney
5/5/2006, 12:48 PM
Speaking of Ten, I understand it was named after the number Mookie wore at OU correct? But why? What connection does the band have with Mookie?
I believe it was as simple as they liked his name.
not sure if that is some local urban legend or not. :chicken:

colleyvillesooner
5/5/2006, 01:42 PM
they are big NBA fans

they wanted to name the band Mookie Blaylock, but had to change it for some reason

From the wikipedia:

The group was known (and actually toured) for a time as Mookie Blaylock, after the basketball player, but concerns about trademark issues necessitated a change after the group was signed to Epic Records. The band eventually settled on Pearl Jam as their new name.

Grimey
5/5/2006, 03:18 PM
Porch is one of their best, and most underrated songs. Rearviewmirror is another one.

tbl
5/5/2006, 03:23 PM
I saw them on SNL... They sounded pretty stinking good.

What I don't remember is the Soundgarden drummer singing that much backup for Chris Cornell. He was singing with Eddie for pretty much both songs. Eddie sounded really good live, too.

It's hard to say I really like them considering all the crap that's been spawned from them (see CREED), but they've had some really solid stuff.

Scott D
5/5/2006, 03:25 PM
insert random comment about the seattle music scene of the early 90s from me that belittles pj and nirvana and upsets yermom :P

tbl
5/5/2006, 03:43 PM
Nirvana and PJ weren't even on the same planet. There rarely comes a band like Nirvana...

KC//CRIMSON
5/5/2006, 03:52 PM
My personal favorite.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000028UK.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V53801941_.jpg

Scott D
5/5/2006, 03:53 PM
Nirvana and PJ weren't even on the same planet. There rarely comes a band like Nirvana...

*sigh*...

There was MLB......

then far behind was everyone else.

ywia.

yermom
5/5/2006, 03:56 PM
insert random comment about the seattle music scene of the early 90s from me that belittles pj and nirvana and upsets yermom :P

:mad:

yermom
5/5/2006, 03:58 PM

they aren't really that similar...

Scott D
5/5/2006, 03:58 PM
:mad:

you knew I had to do it or someone else would have :P

yermom
5/5/2006, 04:00 PM
nah, yours are worse than the "all those grunge bands suck" since you appear to like the other music somewhat similar

sooneron
5/5/2006, 04:03 PM
My personal favorite.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000028UK.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V53801941_.jpg
Same here, of course, it helps that frat rock didn't grab onto it like Ten.

sooneron
5/5/2006, 04:04 PM
I saw them on SNL... They sounded pretty stinking good.

What I don't remember is the Soundgarden drummer singing that much backup for Chris Cornell. He was singing with Eddie for pretty much both songs. Eddie sounded really good live, too.

It's hard to say I really like them considering all the crap that's been spawned from them (see CREED), but they've had some really solid stuff.
Mentioning them and Creed in the same post is ignant!

Scott D
5/5/2006, 04:04 PM
nah, yours are worse than the "all those grunge bands suck" since you appear to like the other music somewhat similar

I just hate Cobain. I can't hate on Pearl Jam so much because half the band was in MLB.

sooneron
5/5/2006, 04:08 PM
MLB was purty friggin good. And I do think that Kurt was given too much credit.

tbl
5/5/2006, 04:22 PM
I know it's futile to argue musical tastes, but since we're doing it anyways... ;)

I never got into Mother Lovebone. They were to metal what Kurt was to punk. That said, I haven't given them much of a chance. Perhaps I might look into it. Any suggestions on the album to start with? I mean, there's only a couple, so it shouldn't be that hard to chooose. ;)

Kurt was given just the amount of credit he deserved. Musically and lyrically he was the best out of all those bands... hands down.

... and yes, Creed and PJ can be uttered in the same breath. Creed have openly stated how much PJ influenced them and that they modeled their songs after them. Run a search on their names together and you'll see what I'm talking about.

tbl
5/5/2006, 04:22 PM
That said, it's not an oxymoron to say that you like Pearl Jam and hate Creed..

tbl
5/5/2006, 04:25 PM
and if you really want to break it down, there's

the Pixies

then everyone else.

Scott D
5/5/2006, 04:27 PM
blasmphemy

Octavian
5/5/2006, 04:30 PM
the new cd is greatness...PJ continues to evolve and rock out, never playing by anyone else's rules but their own....a dying breed.

even though its not a studio album, my favorite is still

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/655/2legs4dc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

KC//CRIMSON
5/5/2006, 04:30 PM
The Pixies pretty much trump everyone.:cool:

tbl
5/5/2006, 04:32 PM
I'm listening to their greatest hits album now and it doesn't make sense to compare the two. MLB are TOTALLY metal influenced (it's undeniable), and Nirvana were punk. They weren't a metal band, but you can tell where they got their influence from.

Sounds to me like Candlebox just straight ripped them off.

Scott D
5/5/2006, 04:34 PM
the safest thing to say is that without Mother Love Bone, there would have been no Nirvana, no Soundgarden, and definitely no Pearl Jam. They'll never really get the credit they deserve because of Andrew Wood's untimely death.

tbl
5/5/2006, 04:36 PM
If you're talking influence, no WAY. Nirvana were already together when MLB came out, and they were influenced by punk and the Pixies. Kurt was not influenced by them at all... however, if you mean the way being paved, I wouldn't disagree with you. They were the first Seattle band to bring the light over there... however, Nirvana stole it, as they were clearly the best (and most influential/unique) band. :D

Also, you can't forget about the Melvins.

Scott D
5/5/2006, 04:39 PM
If you're talking influence, no WAY. Nirvana were already together when MLB came out, and they were influenced by punk and the Pixies. Kurt was not influenced by them at all... however, if you mean the way being paved, I wouldn't disagree with you. They were the first Seattle band to bring the light over there... however, Nirvana stole it, as they were clearly the best band. :D

Also, you can't forget about the Melvins.

I was referring to waypaving...Nirvana didn't steal the light though, because Wood died before Nirvana made it big.

only way Nirvana would have been better would have been if Dave Grohl sang

:D

tbl
5/5/2006, 04:41 PM
So it's agreed... without the Pixies, we'd be looking for Cinderella's 19th album release. ;)

Scott D
5/5/2006, 04:42 PM
So it's agreed... without the Pixies, we'd be looking for Cinderella's 19th album release. ;)

meh....They're only on 10 :P

Tom Kiefer had to go into hiatus for a long time due to something that attacked his vocal cords.

tbl
5/5/2006, 04:43 PM
That would be a bad case of turd voice, or suckititis... I'm not sure which.

Scott D
5/5/2006, 04:44 PM
man, we're not talking Henry Rollins here :P

Shaz-Bot
5/5/2006, 11:57 PM
the new cd is greatness...PJ continues to evolve and rock out, never playing by anyone else's rules but their own....a dying breed.

I agree completely, I'll paraphrase a review I read of the new album that said, "They're the band that is too experimental for the mainstream fans and too mainstream for the experimental fans, yet they sell out every arena they play"

Shaz-Bot, Ten Club member #194xxx

Veritas
5/9/2006, 10:57 AM
So I guess I'm the only one that thinks the new album blows. :O

yermom
5/9/2006, 11:55 AM
i haven't listened to all of it yet, just some off and on

i like it so far, but it's not Vs. or Ten or something