PDA

View Full Version : Other Two State Fair Games

mizzOUstu702
5/4/2006, 11:55 PM
Since Dallas mayor Laura Miller (not Brown...heh) wanted to fill in the other two weekends of the state fair with games, what teams do you think would be a good fit? I was thinking a SMU-TCU game, but that may be a little too close to home. Some other thoughts: Tech-Arkansas, Tech-Baylor, or Tech-OSWho. The only reason for the Tech love is that it's so far away (6 hours) that it would be a good trip for their students, and I'm sure they have a good fanbase in the DFW area--even Stoolwater's almost an hour closer. I would've suggested A&M, but I don't think they would give up a home game.

yermom
5/5/2006, 12:04 AM
judging on how they squeeze money out of OUr donors just for Texass tickets i can't imagine losing 1/2 a home game is that big of a deal

Tech-A&M would probably be cool

lately the Poke/Sand Aggie games have been decent

when is the Prairie-View-Grambling game played?

yermom
5/5/2006, 12:05 AM
but i think other Big 12 South teams might kinda dilute the coolness of OU/Texas

maybe not though, it probably doesn't have the same national implications

tbl
5/5/2006, 07:29 AM
probably????

CincySooner
5/5/2006, 07:30 AM
maybe one game could be a rotating match-up of former SWC foes?? excluding saxeT of course. No way they should get to play there twice in the same year.

mrowl
5/5/2006, 08:06 AM
Who is Laura Brown?

BoomerJack
5/5/2006, 08:27 AM
I think TAMU & TT would be a good game to have there on an annual basis if the respective AD's and their cash flow projections would allow it.

OUDoc
5/5/2006, 08:29 AM
Who is Laura Brown?
Apparently, an excellent speller.
http://www.spellingbee.com/05bee/individuals/001results.htm

TexasBoomer
5/5/2006, 09:51 AM
How about reviving the OU/NU annual game and playing it in Dallas.

yermom
5/5/2006, 10:17 AM
i think KC would be more likely than Dallas... that's a bit far for the Bugeaters

the cool thing about Dallas is how it's basically equidistant between Austin and Norman

KyleUT
5/5/2006, 10:53 AM
I think they've already got another game there every year -- Grambling and someone else. Didn't they also play a soccer game there one weekend? Obviously, those two events don't draw as many folks ($$$$$$$$) as Texas-OU, but there's something going on in the CB each Saturday of the fair.

goingoneight
5/6/2006, 10:16 AM
How about OU and Texas... In football, soccer, lacrosse-- and any other damn game to keep the RRS alive!!! :)

CincySooner
5/6/2006, 11:29 AM
OU/xT cage matches in the cotton bowl.... I'd get tickets :)

soonerthanu
5/6/2006, 11:33 AM
Baylor could make it a game were they take on the best H.S. team in the metroplex every year. :)

oumartin
5/6/2006, 05:18 PM
i tired of hearing about the state fair, i'm tired of hearing about texas and their whiny asses.

It was a freakin' shame to break up the big 8 and I hate all those involved with making it the big 12. I want OU/NU every freakin' year to mean something and I want the OU/TX game to just be an annual *** whippin' like it has been prior to last year.

the big 12
I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!

chriscappel
5/6/2006, 05:34 PM
They already got the bowl game there...what else could they wnat?

GDC
5/6/2006, 06:03 PM
UTEP vs. Rice or TCU

soonerboy_odanorth
5/8/2006, 11:01 AM
If the Cotton Bowl/City of Dallas is going to add two more games (which I think is unlikely in the near future because of how far out schedules are set), I think what they ought to be aiming for is the "Metro Championship"... TCU vs SMU, and the other game NOT feature a Texas team... try to get in an intersectional matchup along the lines of a Notre Dame vs. Arizona State. Those programs typically would not be willing to give up home games, but if they had room on their scheds (with the 12th game added now) to add an away game, both might like the prospect of an away game that would generate a lot more revenue than the run-of-the-mill away game.

soonerjoker
5/8/2006, 11:08 AM
smu/tcu wouldn't fill the tiny (but nice & new) stadium on the smu campus.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/8/2006, 12:12 PM
Perhaps not, but I do think they would need to maintain some semblance of local connection. And they could spruce up attendance by cross-merchandising the game tickets with local area/fair/attractions admissions packages. Besides, while I think Oklahoma State would, I don't think Tech, aTm, or Arkansas are inclined to give up home games to take on the Cotton Bowl. And as for them getting one of their away opponents "bought out" to get them to play in the Cotton Bowl, who wants to see aTm vs. Appalachian State in the Cotton Bowl?

boomersooner82
5/8/2006, 03:53 PM
Baylor could make it a game were they take on the best H.S. team in the metroplex every year. :)

Sadly, Fraud Dodge and his Southlake Carroll Dragons would probably give 'da Bears a game... I hate those guys...

As for the TCU/smu game... they could be 1 and 2 in the nation and they still probably wouldn't fill Amon Carter or Ford Field, because this is a crummy sports town, their alumni bases are pathetic and everyone else has a heart for another school outside of the metroplex.