PDA

View Full Version : Damnit Rhino

Norm In Norman
5/4/2006, 10:46 PM
Aren't you supposed to like have a thread stating where all the sooners are in the nfl, including the rookie free agents, or something? WHAT THE HECK ARE WE PAYING YOU FOR?

Slacker.

Norm In Norman
5/4/2006, 10:47 PM
I like the way I use "Damnit" and "HECK" in the same post.

Rhino
5/4/2006, 11:32 PM
Redskins | Team invites UDFA C. Bush
Thu, 4 May 2006 19:18:38 -0700
Redskins.com reports the Washington Redskins have invited undrafted rookie free agent OL Chris Bush (Oklahoma) for a tryout at this weekend's minicamp.

Bears | Runnels to wear No. 48
Thu, 4 May 2006 19:08:14 -0700
Larry Mayer, of ChicagoBears.com, reports Chicago Bears rookie FB J.D. Runnels will wear No. 48.

Bears | Dvoracek to wear No. 98
Thu, 4 May 2006 19:02:13 -0700
Larry Mayer, of ChicagoBears.com, reports Chicago Bears rookie DT Dusty Dvoracek will wear No. 98.

Chiefs | Contract update: J. Wilkerson
Thu, 4 May 2006 16:04:59 -0700
Kansas City Chiefs DL Jimmy Wilkerson signed his one-year, $721,600 tender offer to remain with the Chiefs.

Texans | UDFA Chiasson signs
Thu, 4 May 2006 13:01:22 -0700
HoustonTexans.com reports the Houston Texans have signed undrafted rookie free agent OG Kelvin Chiasson (Oklahoma). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Browns | Wilson may be pressed into action
Thu, 4 May 2006 09:21:51 -0700
Jeff Walcoff, of ClevelandBrowns.com, reports Cleveland Browns third-round draft pick WR Travis Wilson may find himself on the field earlier than expected. If No. 1 WR Braylon Edwards (knee) does not recover in time for the season, Wilson could be pressed into action. "We say that (Wilson) is more of a developmental guy but, I've also said that if Braylon doesn't make it on the field, he'll be playing," Browns head coach Romeo Crennel said. "We'll see if he's developmental or not. He might come in and be better than some other guys we got."

soonerhubs
5/4/2006, 11:40 PM
I liked that old Sooners in the NFL thread. Someone needs to bump that thing back to the front. I'll go looking. Never mind.

Jimminy Crimson
5/4/2006, 11:43 PM
Other numbers:

Davin Joseph - 75
Travis Wilson - 81
Clint Ingram - 51
Chris Chester - 65

NormanPride
5/5/2006, 10:32 AM
Ugh. Of course the Texans sign the worst blocker we've had in forever. :(

The Consumate Showman
5/5/2006, 11:12 AM
^ Didn't I hear that he graded out only a few points below Chester? Amazing if he did....

Rhino
5/5/2006, 01:27 PM
NFL dream becomes reality for wide-eyed Bears rookies (http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15341)
By Larry Mayer
May 5, 2006

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Fullback J.D. Runnels didn't catch a pass, throw a block or even step on the field, but Thursday was one of the most monumental days of his football career.

The sixth-round draft pick from Oklahoma was among more than two dozen Bears rookies who arrived at Halas Hall in advance of this weekend's minicamp to get fitted for equipment, tour the training facility and meet with their new coaches.

Top Bears draft pick Danieal Manning of Abilene Christian gets fitted for a helmet at Halas Hall.

"It's great when you see your name go across (the television screen), but when you actually get in and see the locker room and start putting your helmet on, today was the day where everything started setting in for me," Runnels said.

"It was just a great day to finally get back into the football swing of things and get a family atmosphere around you."

Rookies who will practice once a day Friday, Saturday and Sunday include seven draft picks, 13 undrafted free agents and several others who will participate on a tryout basis.

"It's kind of overwhelming," third-round draft pick Dusty Dvoracek said after arriving at Halas Hall Thursday, "to drive up and see these awesome facilities and (realize that) I'm a part of this now. It's really neat and special and I'm excited."

Bears top draft pick Danieal Manning is eager to return to the field today after spending the last few weeks traveling around the country to meet with NFL teams in advance of the draft.

"I want to show my athleticism and that I'm ready to play," he said. "It's been a while since I've been out there running. I told coach (Lovie) Smith that I'm ready to start working out."

Runnels is determined to show coaches that "I'm mentally and physically ready to play."

Rookie Dusty Dvoracek spent part of his first day at Halas Hall in the weight room.

"I want to show them that if I can balance both of those and learn the playbook that I'll be ready to play this year," he said.

"I definitely think I can be an asset on special teams and I want to show them that early. I want to show that I'm ready and that they made the right choice in the sixth round."

No rookie is more ecstatic about playing football in Chicago than Dvoracek, a lunch-pail defensive tackle who played alongside Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris for three seasons at Oklahoma.

"I'm excited about coming to the best defense in the NFL last year, getting into this scheme and getting to play with Tommie again," Dvoracek said.

"We run a real similar scheme at Oklahoma and I'm going to work hard and play football. I'm just excited to get this opportunity."

The 6-3, 306-pounder from Lake Dallas, Texas, had spoken to the Bears on several occasions before the draft and was hoping that he would be heading to Chicago.

"I couldn't have come to a better team," said Dvoracek, who was selected by the Bears with the 72nd overall pick. "It's such a good fit because it's a blue-collar town and I'm a blue-collar guy.

"I love football and Chicago is one of the most football tradition-rich places you can go. If you take all 32 teams, this is the best spot for me by far. It just worked out perfectly." http://www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/NEAAKDMIEJHF/Dusty_inside5406.jpghttp://www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/NEAAKDMIEJHF/Dusty_main5406.jpg

BigRedJed
5/5/2006, 01:30 PM
BSG nip.

BigRedJed
5/5/2006, 01:31 PM
Oops, that might be misinterpreted. I meant "nip" as in "catnip."

BigRedJed
5/5/2006, 01:32 PM
Because BSG (BlondeSoonerGirl) really loves Dusty, BTW.

colleyvillesooner
5/5/2006, 01:47 PM
heh

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/5/2006, 01:55 PM
BSG nip.

*SQUIRT*

Heh.

Oh, and h3ll yes - I'mmina be a Bears fan this year. They seem to like them some Oklahoma boys...can't say that I blame them...:texan:

KC//CRIMSON
5/5/2006, 03:24 PM
The Skinny on Bills Undrafted Players

Below we provide some of the career highlights on each of Buffalo's rookie free agent prospects.

CB - Eric Bassey - 6'1" 200 - Oklahoma
An athletically gifted cornerback that didn't get a lot of playing time at Oklahoma due to injuries and talented players ahead of him in the lineup. Played in 11 games last season as a sub-package corner posting 15 tackles and a pass defensed. In 49 games for the Sooners he finished with 112 tackles, three interceptions, 16 pass breakups, three forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

Jello Biafra
5/5/2006, 05:16 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/NEAAKDMIEJHF/Dusty_inside5406.jpghttp://www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/NEAAKDMIEJHF/Dusty_main5406.jpg

sweet. I have that same shirt......my nipples are hard :)

BigRedJed
5/5/2006, 05:19 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/NEAAKDMIEJHF/Dusty_inside5406.jpg

Holy crap! Is that all that he's squatting? I'm afraid he has a conditioning problem.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/5/2006, 05:19 PM
Compression shorts are a great thing.

BigRedJed
5/5/2006, 05:20 PM
Not according to my What a ****ing hillbilly should know... thread.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/5/2006, 05:22 PM
Not according to my What a ****ing hillbilly should know... thread.

Oh, I meant for sewing the legs up, hanging and storing your onions in. Not for actual wearing.

:eddie:

BigRedJed
5/5/2006, 05:24 PM
Why all of the football talk suddenly here in the South Oval?

BigRedJed
5/5/2006, 05:25 PM
Oh crap. I'm in the wrong place again.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/5/2006, 05:25 PM
Who's the new guy?

lauderdalesooner
5/5/2006, 05:27 PM
NFL.com has posted a complete list of all signed rookie free agents if anyone's interested.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/undrafted

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/5/2006, 05:27 PM
And who's the serious guy?

BigRedJed
5/5/2006, 05:33 PM
Interpol - Hands Away

BigRedJed
5/5/2006, 05:34 PM
DAMMIT!

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/5/2006, 05:35 PM
OMG...

:D

Norm In Norman
5/5/2006, 10:52 PM
I'm wondering if I should sticky the "Damnit Rhino" thread. It's not quite the "Hey TopDawg" thread, but it's got better information in it.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/5/2006, 10:54 PM
STABBY!

Rhino
5/6/2006, 01:44 AM
Buccaneers | Team looking at D. Joseph at right guard
Fri, 5 May 2006 23:01:56 -0700
The Tampa Tribune reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers OG Davin Joseph is being looked at as right guard, according to head coach Jon Gruden. Gruden added, "It's where we're going to start him at. That doesn't mean that two weeks into training camp or before training camp we move him back to his natural side. We want to see him in a right-hand stance and see how he handles himself over there."

Bills | Team signs UDFA Bassey
Fri, 5 May 2006 18:02:03 -0700
Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports the Buffalo Bills have signed undrafted rookie free agent CB Eric Bassey (Oklahoma).

starclassic tama
5/6/2006, 02:06 AM
what about jim bob cooter? nobody picked him up?

Cooter Finger
5/6/2006, 11:06 AM
Wha...?

Rhino
5/8/2006, 01:15 PM
Patriots | Team signs UDFA Ayodele
Mon, 8 May 2006 10:22:12 -0700
Patriots.com reports the New England Patriots have signed undrafted rookie free agent NT Remi Ayodele (Oklahoma). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Browns | Crennel discusses T. Wilson
Sun, 7 May 2006 11:17:33 -0700
Steve Doerschuk, of the Canton Repository, reports Cleveland Browns head coach Romeo Crennel discussed his first impression of WR Travis Wilson from minicamp. Crennel said, "He's a little rough in his rout-running, but he's a big body, and he's a willing guy."

OUDoc
5/8/2006, 01:20 PM
*SQUIRT*

:confused: :eek: :confused:

Rhino
5/8/2006, 01:21 PM
Chris Bush:
http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/BJCPBGADEDLD/DSC_0018PG.jpg

Chijioke Onyenegecha:
http://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/BJCPBGADEDLD/DSC_0011PG.jpghttp://www.redskins.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/MIBLIAAEEDLD/DSC_0012PG.jpg

GottaHavePride
5/8/2006, 01:24 PM
Hooray for this thread.

BigRedJed
5/8/2006, 01:27 PM
:confused: :eek: :confused:
She had the trots when she was posting last week.

Collier11
5/8/2006, 01:32 PM
great, keep the info coming guys

Rhino
5/8/2006, 01:38 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15389
In the trenches: Smith was also impressed with defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek, a third-round pick from Oklahoma who always plays and practices like every snap could be his last.

"Intensity is one of his strong suits," Smith said. "He has the (long) hair going, the look about him. Hopefully he's as tough as he looks and we think he will be.

"I can't wait to see him in pads, but it was good just to get a chance to spend some off-the-field time with him too. We're excited about him being here."

Taking the lead: Fullback J.D. Runnels, a sixth-round pick from Oklahoma who could start as a rookie, ran well and displayed excellent pass-catching ability out of the backfield.

"He's another guy with a lot of speed," Smith said. "He ran in the 4.5s; for a fullback you don't see that very often. He has good hands as we were able to see this week.

"He's a smart guy with great character. We talked to a lot of people about him and everyone said the same thing. He seemed like somebody we would like to have in our program."

Rhino
5/8/2006, 01:43 PM
CB-TV: Crash Course - Rookie camp with Dusty Dvoracek (http://org-www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/) (RealMedia)

Rhino
5/8/2006, 01:46 PM
Dusty Dvoracek:
http://org-www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/BCNNIGDKEJHF/Rookie-camp_190.jpg
http://org-www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/BCNNIGDKEJHF/Rookie-camp_379.jpg

JD Runnels:
http://org-www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/BCNNIGDKEJHF/Rookie-camp_404.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/8/2006, 01:48 PM
CB-TV: Crash Course - Rookie camp with Dusty Dvoracek (http://org-www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/) (RealMedia)

Sanks for that.

I'm sure gonna miss him...

...'trots'...heh.

Grimey
5/8/2006, 01:58 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/NEAAKDMIEJHF/Dusty_inside5406.jpg

Holy crap! Is that all that he's squatting? I'm afraid he has a conditioning problem.

shows what you know. That rod is made of neutronium:P

Rhino
5/8/2006, 02:06 PM
Dusty's interview is at the 3:15 mark (http://video.wgntv.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=781687&h1=Bears%20Rookie%20Camp%20At%20Halas%20Hall&vt1=v&at1=Sport&d1=283767&LaunchPageAdTag=Sport&fvCatNo=&backgroundImageURL=&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//video.wgntv.com/global/category.asp%3Fc%3D75192%26title%3DWGN+SPORTS+VIDE O%26dt_font_t%3DArial%2CVerdana%26vl_font_t%3DAria l%2CVerdana%26bgstroke%3D3333FF%26maxItems%3D4%26W NResizeIframeID%3Dwn_frame10715273618698%26clientT ype%3Dwn_video_c%26WNResizeFileURL%3Dhttp%253A%252 F%252Fwgntv%252Etrb%252Ecom%252Fextras%252Fworldno w%252Fwnresizeiframe%252Ehtm&rnd=40675413) (It works in IE, not Firefox)

"I'm gunna get to the quarterback more than Tommie does."

Rhino
5/8/2006, 02:11 PM
Couple of stories:

Dvoracek brings Bears on wagon
May 7, 2006
BY MIKE MULLIGAN Staff Reporter

It would be nice to say that regardless of what happens now, Dusty Dvoracek will go down as a success story. Sadly, such triteness can't begin to explain what Dvoracek has been through nor the battle ahead to maintain a life of sobriety.

A third-round selection at defensive tackle in last weekend's draft, Dvoracek gathered with his fellow Bears rookies at Halas Hall over the weekend to begin the assimilation process into NFL life. No doubt a few compared notes over a couple of drinks at some point or will head home with NFL stories to share with friends at a local bar.

Sports and bars mix together like gin and tonic. Not for Dvoracek. Not anymore. He has taken the pledge to live a clean and sober life after being suspended from the Oklahoma football team during the 2004 season after a series of alcohol-related altercations -- three documented incidents in two years -- culminating in a drunken rage in which he beat a friend senseless and landed him in an intensive-care unit for four days.

Losing football was the impetus Dvoracek needed to turn his life around. A smart guy who scored a 41 out of a possible 50 on the Wonderlic test -- the highest score of anyone attending the Indianapolis scouting combine -- Dvoracek put two and two together and realized booze was the problem. He attended a court-ordered six-week course on anger control, went through extensive counseling for alcohol problems and wound up being reinstated to the team and regaining his captain's band.

"[The suspension] and the fact if I kept going maybe I would have hurt somebody or hurt myself,'' the defensive tackle said of his decision to stop drinking. "You get dumb when you get drunk and out of control. It was best for me and everyone around me for me to stop. It was time to grow up and be smart about it.''

Here's where the story gets a bit tricky. One observer who has undergone alcohol counseling and has looked into Dvoracek's treatment program says it's unconventional to the point of not having an ideal success rate. Dvoracek doesn't attend regular meetings and relies on a strong will as much as a support system to maintain his sobriety. He says he's not an alcoholic, even though that was reportedly the reason used for a medical redshirt year in college.

"I don't drink anymore,'' Dvoracek said. "It is my choice to stop. I didn't ever have a problem with drinking all the time -- it's just when I did, it got too excessive, so I just knocked it out.

"I wasn't really an alcoholic; I just made poor decisions when I was drinking. It's my choice just to stop. It's more of a life-altering choice than it is 'I am this.'''

Such statements might concern some, but Dvoracek has a sympathetic ear in Lovie Smith. The Bears coach is the son of an alcoholic father and witnessed his battle up close, including several false starts in his dad's bid for rehabilitation. Smith said his father, Thurman, was "an extreme case'' and not one to compare with a youngster like Dvoracek.

Thurman Smith died 10 years ago after living soberly for 25 years, but he and his family went through hell trying to control the disease.

"We went through AA meetings, chemical treatments, the pill you take where you get real sick if you do it,'' said Smith, who himself is not a drinker. "My father went through the guilt of the family seeing him in that position. We went through it all. In the end, do you know how he beat it? He just said: 'That is it. I'm not going to do it anymore.' I don't know what the solution for it is; I just know how my father did it.''

Dvoracek knows there will be temptations playing in a city such as Chicago, but he insists he's done with alcohol. Period.

Smith said the Bears did a lot of research before selecting Dvoracek and, far from seeing him as a character risk, believe he has shown strong character by taking responsibility for his actions and changing his life accordingly.

Talk to anybody around the Bears about their draft -- one that has largely been deemed disappointing both locally and nationally -- and you'll hear the same complaint. None of the so-called experts seem to be measuring the value of getting two players over the one guy that would have been sitting there at No. 26.

The Bears traded that selection to Buffalo and in return received two picks -- No. 42 overall, where safety Danieal Manning was taken, and the third-round selection used for Dvoracek (73rd overall). The Bears like that combination of players better than a guy such as Miami cornerback Kelly Jennings, whom they would have taken if they had kept the 26th pick.

They moved down because they wanted Dvoracek. He was the key to the entire draft for them.

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo went so far as to say on draft day that he regarded Dvoracek as one of just three defensive players in the draft with a "special competitive nature'' who "bring something tangible to a defense that is very infectious.''

"I will stake my reputation personally on his character at this point,'' Angelo said. "Obviously I have, or else we wouldn't have taken him. We felt really good given where he is now in his life.''

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops echoed those sentiments.

"I put my reputation as well on the line by bringing him back,'' Stoops said. "I felt so strongly about the positive characteristics of the guy. I felt there was very little to no risk.''

Here's hoping it's a success story.

[email protected]
Dvoracek willing to visit his murky past
By Bob LeGere
Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted Sunday, May 07, 2006

It takes a big man to own up to his mistakes.

Dusty Dvoracek, the Bears’ third-round draft choice, says he fits that description when it comes to his past drinking problems, and not because he’s 6-feet-3 and 305 pounds.

Dvoracek was booted off Oklahoma’s team after the first two games in 2004 following several alcohol-related incidents. He says he’s finished drinking, but he knows he’s not finished answering questions about it.

“It takes a person with character and a person who’s accountable to fess up to that and stand here and look you guys in the eye and take those questions,” Dvoracek said at the Bears’ weekend rookie minicamp at Halas Hall. “And I think I’m man enough to do that.”

He was granted a medical redshirt year by the NCAA and then reinstated after participating in anger-management and alcohol-awareness programs.

The defensive tackle has one advantage over most Bears rookies because he’s already familiar with Ron Rivera’s defense. Oklahoma played the same scheme, and Dvoracek has been watching film of the Bears’ defense since last season. That gave him a chance to monitor the progress of his buddy Tommie Harris, who came into the Sooners’ program the same year as Dvoracek.

“We learn off what they do,” Dvoracek said. “We’re almost identical, so our coaches would coach us up on what they did, show us what we should do and what not to do. I watched them every week. I got to see them on TV, and (said), ‘It would be awesome to play there.’ It’s exciting and I’m going to make the most of it.”

Harris called Dvoracek the week before the draft to tell him the Bears might choose him, and now he’s looking forward to playing alongside Harris again and learning the NFL ropes. In their last season together at Oklahoma in 2003, Dvoracek had 7 sacks to Harris’ 5.

“Tommie’s a great player,” Dvoracek said. “Him being so good made it easier on me, and me being good made it easier on him, so we really complement each other well. I look for the same success here that we had at Oklahoma.”

But there’s still that friendly competition.

“I want to get to the quarterback more than Tommie does this year,” Dvoracek said.

BigRedJed
5/8/2006, 02:18 PM
Smith said the Bears did a lot of research before selecting Dvoracek and, far from seeing him as a character risk, believe he has shown strong character by taking responsibility for his actions and changing his life accordingly.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops echoed those sentiments.

"I put my reputation as well on the line by bringing him back,'' Stoops said. "I felt so strongly about the positive characteristics of the guy. I felt there was very little to no risk.''
Good stuff, Rhino.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/8/2006, 02:28 PM
I'm getting the vapors...

Rhino
5/8/2006, 03:19 PM
Cleveland Browns rookie mini-camp (http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/video/rmconsole.php?t=video&f=06_05_05_practice.rm) (RealMedia)

The same goes for third-round pick Wilson, who could see the field quickly if 2005 first-round pick Braylon Edwards misses any time to start the reason while continuing to rehab from an ACL injury suffered last December.

Wilson has no shortage of confidence, but he's realistic as far as what he has to do to see his dreams of getting onto the field quickly come to fruition.

"I didn't come here expecting anything," Wilson said. "I know I start on the bottom of the totem pole, but I'm willing to work. I know my work ethic. And with the way I believe in myself and my abilities, the sky is the limit. I hope I can come in here, learn some things, earn respect and get on that field as fast as I can." http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/news/images/5384.5067.t.jpg

Rhino
5/8/2006, 03:29 PM
May 08, 2006 -
A week ago, Davin Joseph stood in front of a podium in a natty tan suit-and-tie combination and introduced himself to the Bay area. He certainly looked the part: massive, powerful, drive-blocking guard, and he said all the right things at the podium, smiling throughout.

Passing the eyeball test doesn’t mean much, though, if you don’t look as good when the uniform goes on and the defensive linemen start attacking. Well, a week after that introduction, at the conclusion of a three-day rookie camp, it’s clear that Joseph looks the part dressed in red and pewter, too.

The weekend camp may not have been the perfect stage for evaluation, given that roughly half of the participants were in town on tryout contracts. Still, the Bucs came away from the three days of intense meetings and practices with a good feeling about their two new offensive linemen, Joseph and tackle Jeremy Trueblood. That’s good, considering the team invested its first two draft picks on those big bodies the previous weekend.

Joseph and Trueblood “started” on the right side together during camp, though that was mostly because no veterans were allowed to participate. It’s still not certain where they will land on the initial training camp depth chart, or how much the team hopes to use them during their rookie campaigns, but it is quite obvious that there is going to be more quality competition for those jobs than ever this summer.

“Davin Joseph is a good player, he showed that today,” said Head Coach Jon Gruden after one of the weekend practices. “We’re really happy he’s here. He and Trueblood did a good job on the right side. [In those two] you see size, you see athletic ability. The big fella at right tackle was a fine high school basketball player. He’s making a transition to right tackle where he played left tackle at Boston College. But you have two big athletic people that have a physical status about them that’s going to help us and it’s going to make things very competitive out there.”

Joseph and Trueblood played side-by-side at the Senior Bowl in January, too, and at the time both were switching positions. Joseph’s move was easier, as he had played right guard for two seasons at Oklahoma before holding down the left tackle position as a senior. He feels like he’s back in his natural position, though he knows better than to assume he’ll never see any action elsewhere. He also isn’t assuming that he knows all there is to know about the right tackle job.

“There are still some things I have to learn, though, so it’s still an adjustment,” said Joseph. “There are things that you did in college that you can’t do on the pro level. So it’s adjusting to small things about my game that will help me become a dominant guard, then also still play some left tackle and right tackle and learn how to play center. So it’s going to be a long summer but I look forward to it.”

The Bucs have seen the benefit of having versatile men up front in recent seasons. Sean Mahan, for instance, started at center for the second half of the 2004 season, opened up training camp in competition for the left guard spot then ended up starting all 16 games at right guard. They’ve also seen situations in which moving a player from his normal position didn’t pan out perfectly. So nothing has been written in stone about where Joseph and Trueblood will end up, but the team currently thinks it’s right-side placement will work. Trueblood is making that idea look good by taking to the position switch rapidly.

“It’s where we’re going to start him at,” said Gruden of Trueblood. “That doesn’t mean that two weeks into training camp or before training camp we move him back to his natural side. We want to see him in a right-hand stance and see how he handles himself over there. We’re looking at Torrin Tucker at this time, at left tackle. That gives us a two-deep situation that we’re comfortable with as we get moving here. But he did show some real instincts and some natural-ness as a right tackle in the Senior Bowl and he blocked some pretty good people in that week of practice and during the game.”

Joseph knows that it is up to him and his draft-mate to make those plans work.

“It’s just a matter of trying to get the concept, trying to get on the same page with the guys,” he said. “It’s everybody trying to learn and make calls at the same time that makes it kind of a challenge. Being aware and staying focused out on the field will help us get through that.”
For the camp participants, the core goal was different from player to player. Draftees like first-round guard Davin Joseph wanted to make it obvious that they should be used in significant roles this season.
The players in the group most likely to have an impact on the team this season were those drafted high or fairly high last weekend. Gruden was particularly pleased with how well such newcomers as guard Davin Joseph (first round), tackle Jeremy Trueblood (second), wide receiver Maurice Stovall (third) and cornerback Alan Zemaitis (fourth) handled the transition to the NFL and the Bucs’ schemes.

“The right guard looked like he played football in the league before,” said Gruden, delivering a strong compliment to Joseph. “He looked natural, he looked instinctive; he’s not perfect, but I thought he did an excellent job. I thought Trueblood made a real good transition to right tackle [from left tackle]. Stovall made a couple real acrobatic plays again today. Zemaitis, much like we thought, is a very instinctive, reliable football player who has a ways to go but I do believe he fits our structure and he’s going to be a good player.”
Joseph came off the field Sunday sweating hard but in no way beaten down by the heat. He knew he had started out nicely with his new employers.

“There are a lot of challenges going into rookie mini-camp, learning the long days, the heat,” said the Florida native and Oklahoma star. “There are a lot of different challenges, but to get through it, to get through this weekend and know that I did well feels really good. It’s great momentum to take into the OTAs and training camp also.”

For those like Joseph who will be back, this weekend was only the beginning. The coaches used the three days to lay a foundation with the rookies, so that they would more easily mesh with the veterans when the whole team practices together. That will happen in little over a week, when the team resumes its “organized team activity” days on May 16. All of the rookies whose schools have had their graduations by then will be allowed to return to Tampa for those practices. http://www.buccaneers.com/media/photos/misc/Joseph05_07_06_1_b.jpghttp://www.buccaneers.com/media/photos/misc/Joseph05_07_06_2_b.jpg

Rhino
5/8/2006, 03:30 PM
Lynn McGruder (#66):
http://www.buccaneers.com/media/photos/misc/McGruder05_07_06_1_b.jpg

BigRedJed
5/8/2006, 03:46 PM
Is Davin practicing football, or Kung Fu?

GottaHavePride
5/8/2006, 04:01 PM
It looks more like the Scottish martial art... **** You.

Grimey
5/8/2006, 04:22 PM
Sean Mahan, for instance, started at center for the second half of the 2004 season, opened up training camp in competition for the left guard spot then ended up starting all 16 games at right guard.

Sean is a Jenks product. Played with Rocky, but went to Notre Dame:mad:

Jimminy Crimson
5/8/2006, 04:47 PM
Lynn McGruder (#66):
http://www.buccaneers.com/media/photos/misc/McGruder05_07_06_1_b.jpg

BOBO! :cool:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/8/2006, 11:10 PM
is that a scope scar on davin?

soonerhubs
5/9/2006, 12:37 AM
is that a scope scar on davin?

It sure looks it to me.
I love this thread! Rhino, you are amazing!

colleyvillesooner
5/9/2006, 09:29 AM
Ravens | Cody recovery going well; he's switching to linebacker
Tue, 9 May 2006 06:51:44 -0700

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens DE Dan Cody (knee) is progressing well from last preseason's knee injury. Based on Cody's strong comeback, team officials expect him to not only be ready for training camp but also to play an expanded role in their defense.

Cody, originally slated to be a pass-rush specialist this season, is on track to play outside linebacker. Without a second legitimate safety, team officials have projected that the Ravens could start four linemen, four linebackers and just three defensive backs (two cornerbacks and one safety) - a formation that would allow Cody to get on the field as a starting linebacker.

Playing that position is an on-going transition for Cody as he only played defensive end in college. Cody is scheduled to participate in minicamp next weekend, but there is a chance his play could be limited. "I feel like I'm 90 percent," Cody said. "The strength is there. It's just a matter of endurance."

Rhino
5/9/2006, 05:14 PM
Chris Bush wasn't one of the seven UDFAs signed today by the Redskins. Chijioke Onyenegecha was signed on May 1.

Buccaneers | Team pleased with Joseph in minicamp
Tue, 9 May 2006 14:54:15 -0700
Buccaneers.com reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were pleased with OL Davin Joseph's play in the team's rookie minicamp. While it is still unknown where he will fit on the team's depth chart, he played at right guard in camp and impressed the coaching staff with his size and athleticism.

49ers | Open competition for weakside spot
Tue, 9 May 2006 11:39:30 -0700
Dennis Georgatos, of the Contra Costa Times, reports San Francisco 49ers LB Brandon Moore will battle LB Jeff Ulbrich for the starting weakside linebacker spot.

Rhino
5/10/2006, 03:08 PM
Realizing lifelong dream humbles rookie fullback (http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15402)
By Larry Mayer
May 9, 2006

Picking up where Chris Harris left off last season, fullback J.D. Runnels shares his thoughts in a rookie diary that will resume on a weekly basis just before training camp:

Participating in the rookie minicamp at Halas Hall last weekend was really a great experience for me. It felt a lot like college, with the Bears having so much tradition and such a rich history.

I've always dreamed about playing in the NFL, and finally getting there is mind-boggling. But it's home for me now and I love Chicago. From what I saw of the city, everything looked great. I'm just so excited about the opportunity to play for the Bears.

At minicamp, I attended meetings for offense and special teams and practiced once a day for about an hour-and-a-half or two hours. The playbook is pretty big, but I feel that I'm catching on pretty quick. I consider myself a pretty smart football guy.

There wasn't anything that was too challenging at minicamp. This is the lifestyle I've always wanted to live. Goodness gracious, there's absolutely nothing better. It really felt like home.

It was great to put on an NFL uniform for the first time. It was really amazing. It's a lifelong dream and it's a humbling experience. Putting on that uniform for the first time really makes you realize where you are and where you came from.

I'm also very excited about having some old teammates up in Chicago. (Runnels played with defensive tackle Tommie Harris, wide receiver Mark Bradley and rookie defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek at Oklahoma.) You wouldn't believe how much that helps in making the transition.

It's guys that you know, guys you grew up with football-wise. Playing with those guys, it's like being home again. They're great football players, and not only is it good for us, but it's good for the university as well.

When I was up in Chicago for minicamp I roomed with (guard) Tyler Reed from Penn State. (Like Runnels, Reed was selected by the Bears in the sixth round of the draft.)

I had never met him before, but it was pretty cool because we are both in the exact same situation. Neither of us went to the combine, the Senior Bowl or anything like that. We both just had outstanding Pro Days to show teams that we are capable of playing at this level, and then we were five picks apart in the draft, so we have a lot in common.

It was pretty disappointing not to be invited to the combine, but I knew that I was going to have an opportunity at some point. I was under the radar for some teams, but once I showed what I can do, that was the only thing that needed to be done. That was the stamp on the package.

Since leaving Chicago on Sunday, I've been working out and studying the notes I took at minicamp. I'm going to keep working out and I'm going to try to find a place to stay in Chicago, hopefully around some of the other guys and get ready to return to Halas Hall later this month.

It was fun seeing some of the guys at minicamp that I played against last season at Oklahoma. We faced (Oregon tight end) Tim Day in the Holiday Bowl and (Texas Tech safety) Dwayne Slay in our second to last game. So there was a little camaraderie there.

You'd think it would be strange suddenly being teammates with someone you played against in college, but that's not the case at all. Everybody wants to be on this level, so it doesn't really matter who you're playing with. I think that's just a part of the business aspect of football. You've got to be able to play with anybody because that's how it works. http://www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/HNFBNAKKEJHF/Runnels_inside050906.jpg

Rhino
5/10/2006, 03:14 PM
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/OCLJKKMNDICJ/MAIN_jtf_5-10-06.jpg

Just the Facts

The conditioning work is paying dividends. After eight weeks of training, it's evident that players such as Kyle Boller, Dan Cody, Edwin Mulitalo, Bart Scott and Adam Terry are all getting close to playing shape.

Cody's progress will be closely scrutinized this offseason. His rookie season ended on the same day it began, as he sprained his anterior cruciate ligament on the first day of training camp, and the 2005 second-round draft pick has been working carefully but diligently to return to the field at full strength by opening day, September 10.

"I'm rehabbing my knee, which has been going really well," he said. "Right when we started up (the strength and conditioning program) was the time when they were going to release me to run and put cleats on. Since then, it's been a progression of getting stronger and faster. It's been nice to be able to do a lot of different things so it doesn't get boring."

Zbird
5/10/2006, 11:08 PM
Oh, I meant for sewing the legs up, hanging and storing your onions in. Not for actual wearing.

:eddie:

Heh, she said Storing your Onions :P

Rhino
5/11/2006, 01:53 PM
Chester Gains Weight, Draft Stock (http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=126)

By Joe Platania, Press Box Staff

In just about any sport you can name, many draft picks are made with regard to a player's upside.

For Chris Chester, he was taken because of his backside.

Chester, a center from Oklahoma taken with the Ravens' second-round pick in last month's draft (56th overall), was a highly-touted scholastic tight end before redshirting with the Sooners, recovering from a knee injury and putting on 60 pounds to play both right guard and center in his senior year.

As a result, his offensive line resume is rather limited with just seven senior-year starts at a time when the Ravens' aging trench players need reinforcements.

But, thanks to the Sooners' strength and conditioning staff and a lot of time in the weight room -- and some rather unorthodox meal choices -- the 6-foot-3, 305-pound Chester feels the late switch won't hamper his development, which begins this weekend when the team invites approximately 25 players to a three-day, rookie-only minicamp at the Owings Mills complex.

"Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches," Chester said of his weight-gain program. "And chocolate protein shakes.

"We have a great program at Oklahoma. I'm sure [Ravens linebacker] Dan Cody and [receiver] Mark Clayton will attest to that. [Workout director] Jerry Schmidt, he works us out well and that's who I worked out with here at school when I was training for the [Indianapolis scouting] combine and [on-campus] Pro Day."

The Ravens know how the Oklahoma routine goes, having taken six Sooners in their 11 drafts: Chester, Clayton, Cody, defensive lineman Martin Chase, tackle Sammy Williams and tight end Trent Smith.

Add to that list such free agents as nose tackle Kelly Gregg, backup linebacker Tyrell Peters and reserve guard Ben Cavil, and that makes nine products from a program that has been one of the nation's elite for as long as anyone can remember.

Oklahoma still holds the record for the nation's longest unbeaten streak (47 games, 1953-57) and has won or shared seven national championships, most recently in 2000.
Former Oklahoma assistant and Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan was understandably pleased with Chester's acquisition.

"It doesn't get much better than that," he said. "I was like, 'My gosh, we're taking an offensive lineman.' I was watching his clips and thought, 'This guy's pretty good.'"

Chester, a 23-year-old political science major, came to the Sooner program as a heavily-recruited tight end; the Tustin, Calif., product was ranked the eighth-best tight end prospect in the country by Rivals.com even while playing defensive end. He also played basketball and threw the discus for the school's outdoor track team.

After a few years fighting through the Oklahoma depth chart as a backup tight end and battling a 2003 knee injury as well, Chester began his PBJ regimen. But he also put his athleticism to work in the weight room and on the field as he began the transition to interior line play.

"[Playing tight end] helped me because going in, I had a certain quickness," he said. "I was able to get in good position. I had to get my hands and feet in good position to help me make blocks and also blocking out in space by pulling on screens."

Chester started four games at right guard and three at center as Oklahoma's offense rolled up 355 yards per game in the always-tough Big 12 Conference. Even though his experience inside wasn't all that extensive, it was enough to get him rated 41st among all draft prospects by Mel Kiper and 71st overall by Pro Football Weekly.

Ohio State's Nick Mangold, a late first-round New York Jets pick, was the only other center rated higher than Chester, whose stock outshone that of Outland Trophy winner Greg Eslinger (Minnesota), who lasted until the sixth round when he was taken by the Denver Broncos.

His 4.88 40-yard dash time, 31.5-inch vertical jump and 27 bench-press repetitions (at the standard 225-pound weight) didn't hurt, either, as the Ravens had him rated highly enough on their draft board to select him in the second round.

Chester will be one of several young offensive linemen, such as tackles Adam Terry and Tony Pashos and guards Jason Brown and Brian Rimpf, counted upon to resuscitate a unit that has come under fire for not opening running lanes or protecting quarterbacks nearly as well in recent seasons.

"We think he can play [center and guard]," Ravens college scouting director Eric DeCosta said of Chester, citing his weight gain and athleticism.

"He's getting bigger, he's getting stronger," DeCosta continued. "We hope he can play both positions. We're very happy to have him."

Despite his past glories at a high-profile program, Chester understands that he's entering another level entirely.

"As far as the NFL goes, I know nothing is set in stone," he said. "I would imagine that I'd get a chance to come in and compete. But I just want an opportunity to play more than anything."

DeCosta thinks the man with the bigger backside will get his chance.

"We like his upside," he said.

soonerhubs
5/12/2006, 02:34 PM
Finally someone who NEEDED PB&J for his career. I love it!

JLB
5/13/2006, 07:32 PM
Chris Chester is a bad mofo.

soonerhubs
5/13/2006, 11:42 PM
Chris Chester is a bad mofo.
Amen. He's awesome.

Rhino
5/15/2006, 02:14 AM
Ravens | Team's draft class had average Wonderlic score of 24
Sun, 14 May 2006 13:26:25 -0700
Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports the players the Baltimore Ravens drafted in the 2006 NFL Draft is one of the team's sharpest in their draft history. The average Wonderlic score for their players was a 24, six points higher than the average of all college prospects from this year.

Chiefs | Q. Griffin will participate in first minicamp
Sat, 13 May 2006 10:59:37 -0700
Rick Dean, of the Topeka Capital-Journal, reports Kansas City Chiefs RB Quentin Griffin will compete in the team's minicamp this weekend.

Chiefs | Bartee will participate in first minicamp
Sat, 13 May 2006 10:59:21 -0700
Rick Dean, of the Topeka Capital-Journal, reports Kansas City Chiefs FS William Bartee will compete in the team's minicamp this weekend.

Titans | B. Jones attempting to be ready for training camp
Sat, 13 May 2006 10:32:42 -0700
Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans WR Brandon Jones (knee) is shooting to be ready for training camp as he recovers from ACL surgery.

Jaguars | Ingram a no-show due to graduation
Sat, 13 May 2006 10:03:53 -0700
Vito Stellino, of the Florida Times-Union, reports Jacksonville Jaguars LB Clint Ingram was a no-show Friday, May 12, due to his school's graduation. He is expected to join in drills Saturday, May 13.

Rhino
5/15/2006, 11:03 AM
Ravens | Chester able to attend one practice session
Mon, 15 May 2006 06:38:08 -0700
Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens rookie OL Chris Chester, who missed the first day of minicamp because of his graduation from the University of Oklahoma, flew in Sunday, May 14, and participated in the afternoon practice.

Rhino
5/15/2006, 11:36 AM
Tommie Harris goes to E3 Convention (RealMedia (http://images.nfl.com/video/homepage/2005/0515-6.ram))

Pretty funny clip. Plays DDR and challenges Fatality.

And, now my new avatar.

Rhino
5/15/2006, 11:41 AM
There was one new face at the afternoon session: Chris Chester, the Ravens' second-round pick. He graduated from Oklahoma on Saturday, hopped on a 6:30 a.m. flight and came directly to the Ravens' facility. Chester had just finished his physical and received his equipment before he suited up for practice. For a former tight end that only saw one season of significant time on the interior offensive line, he looked pretty good. Heck, he looked good for a career offensive lineman. The 6-3, 305-pound Chester is very quick out of his stance and aggressive. A lot of draft analysts said that he wasn't big enough, but he really does have the thickness to be a roadblock on the line and can even add more to his frame.
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/EOCBGKAODICJ/BODY_chester_5-14-06.jpg

BigRedJed
5/15/2006, 12:22 PM
Tommie Harris goes to E3 Convention (RealMedia (http://images.nfl.com/video/homepage/2005/0515-6.ram))

Pretty funny clip. Plays DDR and challenges Fatality.

And, now my new avatar.
That was greatness.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/15/2006, 06:25 PM
'...can you shut your mouth?...'

Heh. He's funny.

And BIG.

BigRedJed
5/15/2006, 06:54 PM
And BAD.

Norm In Norman
5/15/2006, 10:38 PM
And CRAPS HELMETS!

Rhino
5/15/2006, 10:41 PM
Titans | Fuller might rank ahead of Woolfolk as nickel back
Mon, 15 May 2006 18:31:49 -0700
looks to rank ahead of CB Paul Kuharsky, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans FS Vincent Fuller looks to rank ahead of Andre Woolfolk as the team's nickel back. The move would mean Woolfolk ranks behind CBs Adam Jones, Reynaldo Hill and Fuller.

Rhino
5/16/2006, 11:06 AM
Ravens | C. Chester practices for first time
Mon, 15 May 2006 21:17:05 -0700
Mike Duffy, of BalitmoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens OL Chris Chester practiced for the first time Sunday, May 14, after missing the team's first three practices due to his college graduation. Chester was impressive in his limited action at rookie camp and director of college scouting Eric DeCosta said, "I think people that saw him were impressed with the way he moved around. He's got unbelievable athletic skills. He has very, very quick feet; he's explosive off the ball. He's a guy that I wish I had a chance to see more of this weekend, because he graduated this weekend, but what we saw today was very impressive."

Egeo
5/16/2006, 12:48 PM
Titans | Fuller might rank ahead of Woolfolk as nickel back
Mon, 15 May 2006 18:31:49 -0700
looks to rank ahead of CB Paul Kuharsky, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans FS Vincent Fuller looks to rank ahead of Andre Woolfolk as the team's nickel back. The move would mean Woolfolk ranks behind CBs Adam Jones, Reynaldo Hill and Fuller.
that blows

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/16/2006, 02:39 PM
Ravens | C. Chester practices for first time
Mon, 15 May 2006 21:17:05 -0700
Mike Duffy, of BalitmoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens OL Chris Chester practiced for the first time Sunday, May 14, after missing the team's first three practices due to his college graduation. Chester was impressive in his limited action at rookie camp and director of college scouting Eric DeCosta said, "I think people that saw him were impressed with the way he moved around. He's got unbelievable athletic skills. He has very, very quick feet; he's explosive off the ball. He's a guy that I wish I had a chance to see more of this weekend, because he graduated this weekend, but what we saw today was very impressive."

Awesome.

Rhino
5/17/2006, 12:20 PM
The crisp and high-spirited nature of the practice was a testament to the good feelings every player and coach in attendance had for the start of a new campaign.

"It's exciting to get back into it," said wide receiver Mark Clayton. "It's another fresh start."

Clayton, in his second year with the Ravens, has been a regular at the team's offseason training program. With regards to the OTAs, he thinks that the more players who come out, the better. "There's a new team with new chemistry, and I'm just looking forward to just bonding with these guys," he continued. "Hopefully, we'll have even better chemistry than we had last year and we can take it another step." http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/GAAAECCODICJ/051606Clayton.jpg

Rhino
5/17/2006, 12:33 PM
Graduating to the NFL
5/17/06
By Ryan Robinson

Clint Ingram was in a bind. His dream of being drafted by an NFL team had been fulfilled when the Jacksonville Jaguars drafted him in the third round on April 29, but there was something more pressing on the horizon. With the Jaguars opening mini-camp last Friday, Ingram also had an important obligation on his schedule for the same day: His college graduation.

The date of the graduation had been on his schedule for months and he was waiting to find out his new NFL home. He knew the possibility of a conflict existed. When it was decision time, he thought it would be best to head to Jacksonville.

“I told everybody in my family that I wasn't going to walk and I was coming down here (Jacksonville),” Ingram said. “My mom said, ‘You're not going to walk?' I just told her that I didn't know. If I can't because I have a job now, then I have to do it. I just knew I had to do whatever I had to do.”

His decision was made easier with a phone call to Jaguars Head Coach Jack Del Rio.

I asked Coach (Del Rio) if it would be okay for me to walk,” Ingram said. “Coach Del Rio was real considerate about the whole situation. He congratulated me and told me to take care of everything down there. He just told me to get down here when I can and we would have plenty of time to get me caught up.”

Ingram's parents had preached since he arrived at Oklahoma in 2001 to remember that football came second to an education. He fulfilled their wishes with a degree in sociology-criminology.

“My mom and dad have been telling me that for a while,” Ingram said. “Football is one thing, but they wanted to make sure I had my education. That is what I went to college for. I was on a football scholarship and it was an opportunity for me to get my education. My family always tells me that you can always hurt your legs or your arms.”

Ingram, dressed in cap and gown, attended the graduation on Friday evening. The keynote speaker was television personality Katie Couric. After initially being hesitant, Ingram gave Couric rave reviews.

“She was a real good speaker,” Ingram said. “At first, I thought it's going to be another long speaker at graduation. I didn't know who she was. We had already gone through this long, stressful time leading up to it. She started out with a bunch of jokes and got everyone's attention.”

Ingram didn't arrive home until 11 p.m. following graduation and had stay up all night getting ready for his early morning flight to Jacksonville on Saturday. He was going to miss the Saturday morning practice, but would be in time for the afternoon session.

He packed all his clothes and left everything else behind. He figured out a way to check three bags on the plane and carry on two. He was saying goodbye to his college home as he is planning on staying in Jacksonville until offseason workouts end on July 14.

“I left everything,” Ingram said. “Everything I own I have down here in Jacksonville with me. I told my friends that they could go in my room and anything you want or see, you can have it.”

Ingram didn't take the field for the first time until Saturday afternoon. As expected, it was a little overwhelming at times.

“I really didn't know anything,” Ingram said. “I know coverages. I know quarters, cover-two and cover-three. I got out there and Coach (Mark Duffner) threw me in there and walked me through what my landmark was, what my responsibilities were. I was basically out there running around like a chicken with my head cut off.”

Ingram, the fourth-highest linebacker drafted by the Jaguars, is the first Oklahoma player ever drafted by the team. He started 22 of 46 games and was named All-Big Twelve Conference second-team as a senior.

The Jaguars lost last year's starting linebacker, Akin Ayodele, in free agency to Dallas so a position is open. Ingram wants to spend the next few months getting acclimated to the system and letting everything else play out.

“That is out of my hands,” Ingram said. “I am just going to go out there and give it everything I've got. Go one hundred miles an hour and do whatever I can to put myself in the position to play. If it was my decision, it would be different. But it isn't my decision. It's coaches' decision. They have been doing this longer than I have been born so they know what they're doing. They know who they want out there and how they want it done. I'm just going to give it all I got.”

For the next few months, Ingram will participate in the OTAs with the rest of team and get himself ready for training camp.

“I want to try to get the playbook all the way down,” Ingram said. “I want to study and know all the terminology, all the schemes, what the defensive tackles have to do, what the ends have to do, what everybody on the field is doing on every play. If I can get in it for a couple of hours every day then I will be good.”

While he is now settled in a local Jacksonville hotel, Ingram looks back at the experience and really appreciates Del Rio's consideration.

“I knew that I would be behind when I came in,” Ingram said. “When I got here, I told Coach (Del Rio) how happy I was he had let me go and graduate. He told me that was a big deal. For Coach to understand that and not be mad means a lot. He could have been mad and said I had a job now. I can't say enough about how much I appreciate him letting me do that.” http://www.jaguars.com/story/Images/240x135/Story%285183%29240x135.jpg
http://img336.imageshack.us/img336/7861/ingram8vu.jpg

Mjcpr
5/17/2006, 12:35 PM
Chet has a really tall head.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/17/2006, 12:46 PM
you know, he was considered undersized when he was recruited which was why he was passed on by texas...

Rhino
5/17/2006, 01:02 PM
Jonathan Jackson (#99) in mini-camp with the Falcons (RealMedia (http://www.atlantafalcons.com/multimedia/av/avPlayer.jsp?id=12195))

On the second time back on the sprint down the line drills, Jackson blows everyone away. But, man, he looks small out there.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/17/2006, 03:51 PM
Jonathan Jackson (#99) in mini-camp with the Falcons (RealMedia (http://www.atlantafalcons.com/multimedia/av/avPlayer.jsp?id=12195))

On the second time back on the sprint down the line drills, Jackson blows everyone away. But, man, he looks small out there.

Dude's fast...

Rhino
5/18/2006, 10:59 AM
ROY

Cowboys vice president of player personnel Stephen Jones said Wednesday he thinks the club is finished signing free agents this off-season.

In all, the Cowboys signed eight new players, including Terrell Owens, Mike Vandgerjagt, Akin Ayodele, Kyle Kosier and Marcus Coleman.

While the Cowboys might not add any more new players this summer, Jones said the Cowboys still have some unfinished business.

"We've got a few guys with contracts coming up here next year that we want to look at start addressing," Jones said. "We're in good shape this year on the salary cap, but we have some things to look at."

Safety Roy Williams, tight end Jason Witten and linebacker Bradie James will all be unrestricted free agents after the 2006 season unless they are signed to an extension.

"Those are obvious guys that we need to take a look at and see if things make sense," Jones said. "It's something we would certainly like to get behind us because those are the type of people that we want to have on our football team."

Big Red Ron
5/19/2006, 07:12 PM
I hope ROY goes to my Niners and gets paid!

Rhino
5/25/2006, 11:47 AM
Kelly Gregg interview (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/multimedia/playbookMediaCenter.jsp#?mainTab=tab11&subTab=cl01) (second one down)

soonerboy_odanorth
5/26/2006, 02:20 PM
Ya know, I grew up a Cowboys/Vikings fan. Loved 'em both. But maybe the Cowboys just that little bit more because they were able to go all the way and get it done despite two heart-wrenching losses to Pittsburgh. (And those were great Super Bowls, btw, before they started that long run of really boring blowouts.)

But their signing of Mr. Owens has put a really bad taste in my mouth. I honestly don't feel like I can root for them while he is on their team. I know the Cowboys have always had their share of loudmouth reprobates. But this clown is on a different planet.

Now if you add to that them letting TRRW go, I am permanently done with them.

On that note, if they do the colossally stupid move of letting him go, what might be fun is if da Bears ended up somehow getting him. And the question would then become, at least on paper, is the Bears defense the greatest of all time? Urlacher, Harris, Williams anchoring = NASTY!

mOUse
5/27/2006, 07:37 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/05/19/chiefs_agree_to_terms_black_sapp_tynes_and_wilkers on/

MiccoMacey
5/28/2006, 02:09 PM
“My mom and dad have been telling me that for a while,” Ingram said. “Football is one thing, but they wanted to make sure I had my education. That is what I went to college for. I was on a football scholarship and it was an opportunity for me to get my education. My family always tells me that you can always hurt your legs or your arms.”

He just went up a notch farther in my book. Great quote.

Archangel
5/30/2006, 12:40 AM
Maybe old news, but just thought I'd share.

Ravens | Cody recovery going well; he’s switching to linebacker
Tue, 9 May 2006 06:51:44 -0700

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens DE Dan Cody (knee) is progressing well from last preseason's knee injury. Based on Cody's strong comeback, team officials expect him to not only be ready for training camp but also to play an expanded role in their defense. Cody, originally slated to be a pass-rush specialist this season, is on track to play outside linebacker. Without a second legitimate safety, team officials have projected that the Ravens could start four linemen, four linebackers and just three defensive backs (two cornerbacks and one safety) - a formation that would allow Cody to get on the field as a starting linebacker. Playing that position is an on-going transition for Cody as he only played defensive end in college. Cody is scheduled to participate in minicamp next weekend, but there is a chance his play could be limited. "I feel like I'm 90 percent," Cody said. "The strength is there. It's just a matter of endurance."

Broncos | S. Alexander trying to add weight
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:58:16 -0700

Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports Denver Broncos TE Stephen Alexander is trying to add 10 pounds to help him hold up better in pass protection. He believes he can bulk up without sacrificing speed and restricting movement.

Bears | L. Smith discusses No. 2 WR spot
Fri, 26 May 2006 17:47:26 -0700

ChicagoBears.com reports Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith was asked about the team's No. 2 wide receiver spot and he replied: "Bernard Berrian finished very strong last year, so going in Bernard will get a long look. Mark Bradley was the starter before he went down. Airese Currie has outstanding speed. So it's hard to say. We have a good group of guys. We need a No. 2 receiver, but three receivers play quite a bit. I think we're going to like all five of the receivers that we keep this year. If you asked me what will be the most competitive position that we have, I would start off with that No. 1."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears | Bradley’s rehab seems to be on or ahead of schedule
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:39:02 -0700

Brad Biggs, writing for the Sporting News, reports Chicago Bears WR Mark Bradley's (knee) rehab from knee surgery looks to be on or ahead of schedule. At this point, Bradley projects to be ready for the start of training camp; although there is the possibility the club could look to limit him in contact drills. If Bradley is on the field during training camp, he projects to start opposite WR Muhsin Muhammad.

Archangel
5/30/2006, 12:45 AM
All from KFFL

Ravens | Clayton excited about start of Organized Team Activities
Wed, 17 May 2006 12:36:12 -0700

Mike Duffy, of Ravens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens WR Mark Clayton is excited about the beginning of Organized Team Activities, the first practices in which the veterans are united with the rookies. "There's a new team with new chemistry, and I'm just looking forward to just bonding with these guys," Clayton said. "Hopefully, we'll have even better chemistry than we had last year and we can take it another step."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ravens | Williams No. 3 on the depth chart
Mon, 1 May 2006 12:16:57 -0700

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens fourth-round pick WR Demetrius Williams is slated to be the team's No. 3 wide receiver, behind WRs Derrick Mason and Mark Clayton.

Bears | D. Dvoracek impressive at minicamp
Mon, 8 May 2006 11:31:46 -0700

Larry Mayer, of ChicagoBears.com, reports Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith was impressed with rookie DT Dusty Dvoracek, a third-round pick from Oklahoma who always plays and practices like every snap could be his last. "I can't wait to see him in pads, but it was good just to get a chance to spend some off-the-field time with him too. We're excited about him being here," said Smith.

Chiefs | Edwards discusses M. Bennett
Fri, 19 May 2006 08:18:39 -0700

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards said the Chiefs have talked with the New Orleans Saints about a trade for RB Michael Bennett. "They called us and we talked," Edwards said. "That's what everybody does. We talked about certain scenarios. We have to explore all of our options." With RB Priest Holmes' return uncertain, the Chiefs have only RB Quentin Griffin as a proven backup for RB Larry Johnson. "We're not panicking by any stretch of the imagination," Edwards said. "We have a lot of time to decide whether we need another running back. We don't have to decide that today. Training camp is not until July."

Archangel
5/30/2006, 12:49 AM
KFFL

Jaguars | Ingram could battle for starting LB spot
Thu, 18 May 2006 10:47:02 -0700

Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports Jacksonville Jaguars rookie LB Clint Ingram could have an opportunity to compete for a starting position at strong-side linebacker. "He fits the profile we're looking for at linebacker; a strong, fast, physical football player," said Jaguars defensive coordinator Mike Smith.

Titans | Injury update: B. Jones
Sat, 20 May 2006 07:09:15 -0700

The Tennessean reports Tennessee Titans WR Brandon Jones (knee) may be able to return to the team in time for training camp following knee surgery.

Buccaneers | Team pleased with Joseph in minicamp
Tue, 9 May 2006 14:54:15 -0700

Buccaneers.com reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were pleased with OL Davin Joseph's play in the team's rookie minicamp. While it is still unknown where he will fit on the team's depth chart, he played at right guard in camp and impressed the coaching staff with his size and athleticism.

Buccaneers | Team looking at D. Joseph at right guard
Fri, 5 May 2006 23:01:56 -0700

The Tampa Tribune reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers OG Davin Joseph is being looked at as right guard, according to head coach Jon Gruden. Gruden added, "It's where we're going to start him at. That doesn't mean that two weeks into training camp or before training camp we move him back to his natural side. We want to see him in a right-hand stance and see how he handles himself over there."

Archangel
5/30/2006, 12:56 AM
KFFL

Lions | Marinelli says Lehman is riding the bike
Wed, 17 May 2006 15:50:47 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said LB Teddy Lehman (foot) is present at the team's organized team activities, but that he is on the sideline riding the bike.

Lions | Marinelli discusses T. Lehman
Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:25:59 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said Detroit Lions LB Teddy Lehman (foot) is recovering well from his foot injury. He started running this week. Although he may attend the team's upcoming minicamp he's not expected to participate.

Jaguars | S. McDougle signs
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:56:12 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars have signed free agent OT Stockar McDougle (Dolphins) to a two-year contract worth $1.605 million. The deal includes base salaries of $585,000 (2006) and $720,000 (2007) with annual workout bonuses of $100,000. McDougle also received a $100,000 signing bonus. If McDougle is able to play in 60 percent of the team's offensive snaps in 2006, his 2007 base salary will jump to $2 million.

Buccaneers | McGruder contract update
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:08:13 -0800

Updating previous reports, Tampa Bay Buccaneers DL Lynn McGruder signed a future two-year contract with base salaries of $235,000 (2006) and $310,000 (2007).

49ers | Open competition for weakside spot
Tue, 9 May 2006 11:39:30 -0700

Dennis Georgatos, of the Contra Costa Times, reports San Francisco 49ers LB Brandon Moore will battle LB Jeff Ulbrich for the starting weakside linebacker spot.

Browns | Minter to compete for No. 4 corner
Mon, 1 May 2006 13:14:02 -0700

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns fifth-round pick CB DeMario Minter will be CB Antonio Perkins top competition for the No. 4 cornerback role.

Archangel
5/30/2006, 01:02 AM
KFFL

Browns | Pool will compete at one safety position
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:19:39 -0700

Cleveland Browns general manager Phil Savage said S Brodney Pool will compete for one of the safety positions.

49ers | T. Smith assigned to Amsterdam
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:15:17 -0800

NFLEurope.com reports San Francisco 49ers TE Trent Smith has been assigned to the Amsterdam Admirals of NFL Europe.

Cowboys | Team would like to re-sign Williams
Thu, 18 May 2006 06:39:15 -0700

Mac Engel, of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, reports the Dallas Cowboys would like to sign S Roy Williams to a contract extension before the start of training camp. He could become a free agent after the 2006 season.

Browns | Crennel discusses T. Wilson
Sun, 7 May 2006 11:17:33 -0700

Steve Doerschuk, of the Canton Repository, reports Cleveland Browns head coach Romeo Crennel discussed his first impression of WR Travis Wilson from minicamp. Crennel said, "He's a little rough in his rout-running, but he's a big body, and he's a willing guy."

Patriots | Team signs UDFA Ayodele
Mon, 8 May 2006 10:22:12 -0700

Patriots.com reports the New England Patriots have signed undrafted rookie free agent NT Remi Ayodele (Oklahoma). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Archangel
5/30/2006, 01:11 AM
KFFL

Raiders | V. Carter released
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 19:04:42 -0800

Steve Corkran, of the Contra Costa Times, reports Oakland Raiders C Vince Carter has been released from the team.

Falcons | J. Jackson waived
Mon, 22 May 2006 16:27:22 -0700

The Atlanta Falcons have waived DL Jonathan Jackson

Raiders | Duncan assigned to Cologne
Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:29:27 -0800

NFLEurope.com reports Oakland Raiders PK Tim Duncan has been assigned to the Cologne Centurions of the NFL Europe league.

Raiders | P. Jackson drafted by Hamburg
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:10:43 -0800

NFLEurope.com reports Oakland Raiders LB Pasha Jackson has been drafted by the Hamburg Sea Devils of NFL Europe.

colleyvillesooner
5/30/2006, 03:34 PM
Ravens | Team using younger offensive linemen to get more production out of veterans
Tue, 30 May 2006 12:32:40 -0700

Mike Duffy, of BaltimoreRavens.com, reports the Baltimore Ravens are using young players such as OLs Jason Brown, Tony Pashos and Chris Chester in the offense to motivate veteran OLs Edwin Mulitalo, Mike Flynn and Keydrick Vincent. "We picked up some young guys, and anytime a young guy plays well, there's going to be a battle," said Mulitalo. "I'm not giving up my spot that easily."

Egeo
6/1/2006, 12:50 AM
i saw lehman at the muskogee toughman contest and he looked huge
bigger and stronger looking than ive ever seen him
not that that means anything

Grimey
6/1/2006, 09:03 AM
i saw lehman at the muskogee toughman contest and he looked huge
bigger and stronger looking than ive ever seen him
not that that means anything

did he win?

;)

colleyvillesooner
6/1/2006, 09:09 AM
did he win?

;)

He didn't even have to compete. The contest was for runner up :D

Rhino
6/5/2006, 11:14 AM
Jammal Brown has been moved over to left tackle this mini-camp.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/photos/gallery/2006%20June%20Mini%20Camp/17-2262.jpg

Rhino
6/5/2006, 11:20 AM
Kelly Gregg

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/KHPGMHFODICJ/Gregg1.jpg
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/KHPGMHFODICJ/Gregg2.jpg
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/KHPGMHFODICJ/Gregg3.jpg
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/KHPGMHFODICJ/Gregg4.jpg

Norm In Norman
6/5/2006, 01:37 PM
Jammal Brown has been moved over to left tackle this mini-camp.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/photos/gallery/2006%20June%20Mini%20Camp/17-2262.jpg
Is that little girl his snack?

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/10/2006, 03:59 PM
I still miss Kelly Gregg.

Oh, sorry - 'Buddy Lee'....

soonerhubs
6/11/2006, 09:07 PM
SI had a picture of Mark Clayton suggesting a break out year for Mr. YAC.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/images/06/09/tx_clayton2.jpg

The arrival of Steve McNair in Baltimore means second-year wide receiver Mark Clayton could be poised for huge season.

The Ravens love the second-year receiver out of Oklahoma, who is poised to take a big step forward now that Baltimore has acquired quarterback Steve McNair. Clayton had some big games with Kyle Boller throwing to him at the end of last year and should be more of a feature in the offense in 2006.

http://i.a.cnn.net./si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0606/nfl.breakout.stars/images/clayton.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/12/2006, 06:02 PM
There are big things in store for Clayton...I can feel it.

Mjcpr
6/16/2006, 08:44 AM
There are big things in store for Clayton...I can feel it.

Lord you're a filthy woman.

Archangel
6/19/2006, 10:04 PM
KFFL

49ers | T. Smith missing from practice
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:35:20 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports San Francisco 49ers TE Trent Smith (shoulder) is not practicing with the team while he rehabilitates from a torn rotator cuff.

49ers | T. Smith injured in NFL Europe
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 20:09:08 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports San Francisco 49ers TE Trent Smith (knee) suffered a knee injury in NFL Europe that will keep him out of action for a long while.

Saints | Brown adjusting to move to left tackle
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:48:41 -0700

Chris Pika, of NewOrleansSaints.com, reports New Orleans Saints OT Jammal Brown is projected to start at offensive left tackle during his sophomore season. Brown said the move has been going well but there are still some things he needs to learn about body positioning on the left side rather than the right side of the line. He's taking every opportunity he can to become more comfortable at the position, which will allow him to hit the ground running when training camp begins.

Ravens | Rookie Chester looks good
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 17:47:48 -0700

Mike Duffy, of BaltimoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens rookie OL Chris Chester is showing that he can be a weapon getting to the outside in front of RBs Jamal Lewis or Mike Anderson. "That's something that I really think plays to my strengths," said Chester. "I get a chance to be athletic, and pulling allows me to do that."

Bears | Dvoracek expected to challenge I. Scott at nose tackle
Sat, 3 Jun 2006 20:02:28 -0700

Larry Mayer, of ChicagoBears.com, reports Chicago Bears DL Dusty Dvoracek is expected to challenge DL Ian Scott for playing time at nose tackle.

Archangel
6/19/2006, 10:09 PM
Nice to hear about Moore.

Lions | Lehman questionable for the start of training camp
Fri, 16 Jun 2006 05:37:45 -0700

Steve Pate, of The Daily Oakland Press, reports Detroit Lions LB Teddy Lehman (ankle, foot) is questionable to be ready for the start of training camp at the end of July.

49ers | B. Moore leading at starting outside linebacker
Sat, 17 Jun 2006 06:32:20 -0700

Kevin Lynch, of the San Francisco Chronicle, reports San Francisco 49ers LB Brandon Moore has overtaken LB Corey Smith as the team's starting left outside linebacker.

Jets | Strait quietly has good minicamp
Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:46:30 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, New York Jets CB Derrick Strait quietly had a good minicamp for the team.

Browns | Competition for strong safety spot
Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:39:06 -0700

Steve King, of ClevelandBrowns.com, reports Cleveland Browns SS Brodney Pool and SS Sean Jones are in a battle for the starting strong safety spot opposite of FS Brian Russell.

Rhino
8/3/2006, 02:36 PM
TRRW sign extension with the Cowboys

Dallas' Williams signs extension (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/08/02/bc.fbn.cowboys.williams.ap/index.html)
Pro Bowl safety to remain with 'Boys through 2010
Updated: Wednesday August 2, 2006 2:52PM

OXNARD, Calif. (AP) -- The Dallas Cowboys signed Pro Bowl safety Roy Williams to a four-year contract extension Wednesday, locking up the hard-hitting run-stopper through the 2010 season.

Terms weren't immediately available.

"I am going to be a Cowboy for life," said Williams, the Cowboys' first-round pick in 2002 out of Oklahoma. "I'm staying here."

Williams, who turns 26 this month, had 81 tackles, three interceptions, 2 1/2 sacks and a touchdown last season.

He had a year left on his contract and would have become an unrestricted free agent after this season, but the new five-year deal replaces the 2006 year and adds four more.

Williams is the second player to sign a major extension in the past week or so. Tight end Jason Witten agreed to a seven-year, $29 million contract July 22. Owner Jerry Jones said more contract extensions are in the works.

Rhino
8/3/2006, 02:38 PM
Opportunity knocks for Perkins (http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/news/arts/5565.0.html)
By Zac Jackson, Staff Writer
August 3, 2006

Last year's rash of cornerback injuries in training camp opened the door for Leigh Bodden.

This year, with Daylon McCutcheon down and Bodden up to join Gary Baxter in the starting lineup, Romeo Crennel again called for someone in his deep but inexperienced pool of backup cornerbacks to step up.

Antonio Perkins is trying to answer Crennel's call.

A fourth-round pick a year ago who struggled to pick up the defense and played in just one game as a rookie, Perkins has been all over the field this week at training camp.

He's been intercepting passes, breaking them up and earning the praise of coaches and teammates while battling Pete Hunter and Daven Holly, among others, for the extra first and second-team reps that are available while McCutcheon is out.

"I know I have a great opportunity here," Perkins said. "I'm trying to show the coaches I'm capable of stepping in when they need me.

"I've had some good practices. Things are a lot more comfortable for me. I know the system better and I know where the play is going to be - it's more of reacting instead of wondering what's going to happen next."

Perkins said the biggest adjustment in his rookie season was learning the "complicated" 3-4 defensive system. He said thinking - and wondering - limited his ability to play fast and earn playing time. He never got ahead of more experienced players like Ray Mickens and Michael Lehan on the depth chart.

"It was frustrating, sure," Perkins said. "But I learned from guys like Baxter and McCutcheon. I just kept working. And I'm a lot more comfortable now.
"I'm playing smarter now. I'm playing more physical. My confidence has helped me a lot, and I feel like I can keep going."

His confidence is evident, and he'll need to continue playing fast and smart as camp progresses.

"I like Perkins because you can tell his confidence is rising," Baxter said. "He understands the system. He understands what's expected of him. The more he makes plays, you can tell he's coming along each and every day."

"He's a competitor," Bodden said. "He told me he's been playing more relaxed and more confident, and that's what you need to play this position." http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/news/images/5565.5354.t.jpg

panhandlesooner
8/3/2006, 02:47 PM
good info and good to hear!!

thanks..

Rhino
8/3/2006, 02:58 PM
Jets | Mangini likes D. Strait's versatility
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 16:55:44 -0700
During his press conference, New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini likes the versatility CB Derrick Strait brings to the table. "The ability to play outside as a corner, inside as a substitute in nickel and dime packages and the ability to play safety. That versatility is something I really like in players. Derrick has done a good job with that. He had a good spring as well," said Mangini.

Rhino
8/3/2006, 03:05 PM
Lions | Lehman misses practice, still on PUP list
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 14:30:14 -0700
Detroit Lions TE Teddy Lehman (foot) remains on the team's Physically Unable to Perform list and did not practice Wednesday, Aug. 2.

Ravens | Ivy working with first-team defense
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 13:37:25 -0700
worked with the starting defense at cornerback in practice Wednesday, Aug. 2. Ivy replaced injured CB Mike Duffy, of BaltimoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens CB Corey IvySamari Rolle (knee).

Ravens | Clayton misses practice
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 13:35:03 -0700
Mike Duffy, of BaltimoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens WR Mark Clayton (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday, Aug. 2.

Bears | Bradley held out Tuesday
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:32:50 -0700
John Mullin, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears WR Mark Bradley was given the day off practice Tuesday, August 1.

Chiefs | Bartee misses practice
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 23:13:56 -0700
The Kansas City Star reports Kansas City Chiefs FS William Bartee (Achilles) missed practice Tuesday, August 1.

Grimey
8/3/2006, 03:15 PM
Lions | Lehman misses practice, still on PUP list
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 14:30:14 -0700
Detroit Lions TE Teddy Lehman

Did I miss something?

Rhino
8/4/2006, 01:20 PM
Did I miss something? FWIW, he's still listed as an LB on their official roster.

Rhino
8/4/2006, 01:23 PM
Browns | Perkins misses practice
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 07:19:32 -0700
Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns CB Antonio Perkins (hamstring) did not practice Thursday, Aug. 3, due to a pulled hamstring.

Browns | Wilson impresses
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 07:18:50 -0700
Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns rookie WR Travis Wilson had his best day of training camp Thursday, Aug. 3, with some eye-opening catches.

Chiefs | Wilkerson lines up in No. 1 goal line formation
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 23:34:41 -0700
The Kansas City Chiefs official training camp site reports Kansas City Chiefs DL Jimmy Wilkerson lined up as a fifth defensive lineman in the team's goal line formation during the afternoon practice Thursday, Aug. 3.

Rhino
8/4/2006, 01:24 PM
http://www.detroitlions.com/notebook.cfm

FRIDAY, AUGUST 4
The Lions sign DT Lynn McGruder.

Rhino
8/4/2006, 01:31 PM
http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060804/SPORTS/608040344/1006

Jammal Brown, a former first-round pick out of Oklahoma, has been moved from right to left tackle to help protect Brees' blind side.

"I take that job real personally," Brown said. "We know the wrong hit on the wrong side can really hurt him. That's why this a serious job. One we've got to get done."

Rhino
8/4/2006, 01:34 PM
Saints' Brown hopes to follow greats (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/3481517.html)

JACKSON, Miss. — Before he’s finished with professional football 10 or 12 years from now, Jammal Brown would like to carve out a career like former New Orleans Saints’ All-Pro Willie Roaf.

Four times an All-Pro and a seven-time Pro Bowl pick in nine years with the Saints, Roaf left a lasting legacy when he asked to be traded following the 2001 season. He earned four more Pro Bowl berths with the Kansas City Chiefs before retiring last month.

Brown, a defensive tackle in high school and in his first season at the University of Oklahoma, learned all about Roaf’s accomplishments when the Saints made him their first-round pick in the 2005 draft. And he’s ready to follow in his giant footsteps after moving to left tackle this spring.

Like Brown, Roaf played right tackle as a rookie in 1993. One year later, the Saints switched him to the left side and he went to play in seven straight Pro Bowls — a streak that ended when he blew out his knee midway through the 2001 season.

“I never really knew who Willie Roaf was until I got to the Saints last year and I found out how good a player he was,” said Brown, the 2004 Outland Trophy winner as the top lineman in the nation. “I know he’s a very, very good player. He’s recognized as one of the best. Hopefully, I can have a career like him.”

After moving to the offensive side of the ball as a college sophomore, Brown said he started watching two of the more aggressive tackles in the NFL at that time — Philadelphia Eagles standout Jon Runyan and former Saints player Kyle Turley, particularly Turley.

“Kyle was a right tackle at the time and I wasn’t as big as some of the defensive guys that I was going against,” said Brown, who grew into a 6-foot-6, 313-pounder. “I saw how he played against some bigger guys.”

Brown later studied tape of St. Louis Rams’ All-Pro Orlando Pace, but said he really likes Seattle Seahawks tackle Walter Jones — who is widely regarded as the best in the business.

When told that Brown admires Jones, Saints coach Sean Payton quipped, “I like Walter Jones, too.”

“I wish I could spend a week with him and just learn a bunch of things,” Brown said of Jones. “He knows so much and he’s so good with his hands and feet. It just looks easy to him.”

Payton asked Brown to make the switch to the left side after three-year starter Wayne Gandy was traded to the Atlanta Falcons in early April. That’s a leap of faith most coaches wouldn’t have made with a second-year player, considering the left tackle goes against the other team’s best pass-rusher.

While Payton would love to eventually see Brown develop into the type of dominating player Jones is, he’ll settle for having him anchor his new-look offensive line. Then again, protecting the back side of new quarterback Drew Brees is also a priority.

“I’m starting to feel a lot more comfortable with it,” said Brown. “It’s a learning experience for me, but left tackle isn’t an issue any more. The main thing is getting the footwork down and being sound with my technique.

“The biggest difference is that I’m going to be facing faster, more athletic guys coming from the right end,” he said. “I’m seeing guys with a lot more speed now.”

Starting with training camp practices. When the first-team offense goes against the first-team defense, Brown has to take on starting right defensive end Will Smith. With 16 sacks in his first two seasons, the 282-pound Smith brings lots of speed off the edge.

“He’s done well, he’s done everything that we’ve asked of him,” Payton said of Brown. “There are some technique things he’s picking up on, but I think the transition so far has been what he expected. There are some stance issues and some technique issues that become habit forming, and that’s really what he’s worked on. That’s been encouraging.”

Brown said he remembers what was said when Payton told him about the switch to the left side and there wasn’t much dialogue.

“Coach Payton said, ‘You’re playing left tackle,’” Brown said with a laugh. “That was it, plain and simple.”

At the same time, Payton’s short and sweet message spoke volumes. Immediately, it told him something about his ability and what the new coaching staff expects from him this season.

“I’m not going to back down from a challenge,” Brown said. “That’s where they want me to play, that’s where they’re paying me to play. There was no argument, no nothing. I just wanted to get in there as soon as possible.”

While some young players might feel the pressure of being put in such an important and demanding position, Brown isn’t fazed.

“There’s no pressure on me,” he said. “It doesn’t matter if they put me at center. The job’s the same, I don’t want anybody to touch my quarterback.” http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/2522/saintsjammalbrown080306cn6.jpg

jk the sooner fan
8/4/2006, 01:39 PM
i dont care what you people say about Rhino - he's the best!

Rhino
8/4/2006, 01:40 PM
I guess I missed this:

http://www.redskins.com/team/transactions.jsp

June 19 CB Chijioke Onyenegecha Released

Rhino
8/4/2006, 01:45 PM
Wes Sims is currently the backup to Kris Dielman at LG for the Chargers.

http://www.chargers.com/assets/122/25426.jpg

Rhino
8/4/2006, 01:51 PM
Michael Hawkins is currently the backup to Al Harris at RCB for the Packers.

-Through diet and arduous work in the weight room, added roughly 10 pounds to his sinewy frame this past offseason

-Has a new-found hobby of restoring “old-school” cars, doing much of the labor himself. Earlier this year finished work on a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, and his next planned project is to refurbish a 1976 Cadillac Coupe de Ville

Rhino
8/4/2006, 01:55 PM
Eric Bassey is currently the fourth RCB on the Buffalo Bills. It's unlikely that he'll make the final cut.

http://assets.buffalobills.com/uploads/players/AC1F17A8182E410799DB1A14EA2F963F.jpg

jk the sooner fan
8/4/2006, 01:58 PM
i was checking out a chicago bears message board the other day, reading practice reports......a couple of them said that JD was having a really good camp so far, making lots of good catches....Dusty also having a pretty good camp

i'll try and find the link

Rhino
8/4/2006, 01:59 PM
http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1011

The Cardinals will also look for second-year outside linebacker Lance Mitchell to step up after a quiet first season. Mitchell was selected in the fifth round of the 2005 NFL Draft and saw action in 12 games in his rookie campaign, primarily on special teams.

Rhino
8/4/2006, 02:09 PM
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article.jsp?id=11061

Cornerback Corey Ivy filled in for Rolle and put in a great performance on the edge. He was a blanket on the Ravens receivers all day and even got a hand in to break up a few passes.

Rhino
8/4/2006, 02:11 PM
Hamstring still slows Clayton (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article.jsp?id=1624)

Wide receiver expects to return from nagging injury next week
By Jamison Hensley and Edward Lee
August 3, 2006

Ravens receiver Mark Clayton left yesterday's afternoon practice early to see a doctor about his recurring hamstring injury.

A first-round pick in 2005, Clayton said a few hours earlier that he expected to return to practice next week after missing the past two days of practice.

There have been rumblings that team officials are concerned about Clayton's condition and could be looking at other possibilities at receiver, including a trade for disgruntled Denver Broncos receiver Ashley Lelie.

Asked if the Ravens were interested in Lelie, general manager Ozzie Newsome said, "Not at this time."

Clayton, who was the Ravens' third-leading receiver last season, has injured his left hamstring on two previous occasions before tweaking it again on Monday.

He said the problem is an "alignment" issue in his lower back, which makes one leg lower than the other and puts stress on the muscles. According to Clayton, it can be helped by a chiropractor. "I know it's a matter of time before I get over it," Clayton said. "I believe we go through things for a reason. It shows us ourselves. I'm learning from it."

The Ravens' receiving group is running thin these days.

Clarence Moore (hernia) is on the physically-unable-to-perform list, and rookie Demetrius Williams (hamstring) missed his first practice yesterday.

With Clayton and Moore out, Devard Darling worked with the starters. Darling has two catches in two seasons.

In their three-receiver sets, the Ravens used Darling, Derrick Mason and Romby Bryant, a Ravens' practice squad player last season.

To keep their healthy receivers from wearing down, the Ravens added some depth by signing little-used three-year veteran Matt Cherry, who had been released by the Carolina Panthers on May 30.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/4/2006, 02:12 PM
i was checking out a chicago bears message board the other day, reading practice reports......a couple of them said that JD was having a really good camp so far, making lots of good catches....Dusty also having a pretty good camp

i'll try and find the link

the board with more stickies than posts?

jk the sooner fan
8/4/2006, 02:16 PM
the board with more stickies than posts?

ummm, i'm not sure, my google search took me straight to the thread....i didnt venture out of it

Rhino
8/4/2006, 02:29 PM
The Baltimore Sooners

Dan Cody
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/NGJDOBDEIBKJ/CodyD_080106_2.jpg
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/EOMNIOAEIBKJ/Cody.jpg

Chris Chester
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/HNEENKCEIBKJ/ChesterC_VincentK_073106_3.jpg

Kelly Gregg:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/OGHLFGCEIBKJ/JCM-062907-FBN-Ravens-3-189.jpg
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/OGHLFGCEIBKJ/GreggK_072906_1.jpg

Mark Clayton:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/HNEENKCEIBKJ/JCM-062907-PBM-Ravens-269.jpg
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/OGHLFGCEIBKJ/JCM-062807-FBN-Ravens-129.jpg

Corey Ivy (white jersey):
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/HNEENKCEIBKJ/JCM-062907-PBM-Ravens-231.jpg
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/EOMNIOAEIBKJ/Ivy.jpg

Remi Ayodele:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/OGHLFGCEIBKJ/AyodeleR_072906_1.jpg

Rhino
8/7/2006, 05:08 PM
Ravens | Ivy working with first-team defense
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 12:25:33 -0700
Mike Duffy, of BaltimoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens CB Corey Ivy worked with the first-team defense at cornerback during the team's morning practice Monday, Aug. 7.

Ravens | Clayton practices at full speed
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 12:24:18 -0700
Mike Duffy, of BaltimoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens WR Mark Clayton (hamstring) practiced at full speed during the team's morning practice Monday, Aug. 7.

Ravens | Cody practices at full speed
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 12:23:58 -0700
Mike Duffy, of BaltimoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens LB/DE Dan Cody (ankle) practiced at full speed during the team's morning practice Monday, Aug. 7.

Chiefs | Wilkerson misses Saturday practice
Sun, 6 Aug 2006 22:08:56 -0700
Josh Looney, of KCChiefs.com, reports Kansas City Chiefs DE Jimmy Wilkerson (undisclosed) was held out of practice Saturday, Aug. 5.

Bears | Runnels misses practice Saturday
Sun, 6 Aug 2006 09:38:03 -0700
Larry Mayer, of ChicagoBears.com, reports Chicago Bears FB J.D. Runnels (quadriceps) sat out practice Saturday, Aug. 5. He is expected to return for practice Monday, Aug. 7.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/7/2006, 05:11 PM
Man, I miss Kelly Gregg.

And Dan Cody...yeah...Dan Cody...miss him...a lot...

:meat:

Rhino
8/8/2006, 02:48 PM
Titans | B. Jones returns to practice
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 12:31:39 -0700
WR Paul Kuharsky and Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee TitansBrandon Jones (knee) returned to practice Monday, Aug. 7.

Titans | B. Jones removed from PUP list
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 20:49:06 -0700
TitansOnline.com reports Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher said WR Brandon Jones (knee) has been removed from the Physically Unable to Perform list. He did some seven-on-seven drills and individual drills, but is expected to be on a one-a-day routine.

Ravens | Clayton says he will be ready by opening day
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:46:13 -0700
Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens WR Mark Clayton (hamstring) acknowledged following his first workout Monday, Aug. 7, that he is only at 70 percent right now, but that he would be fully recovered by opening day.

Bears | Runnels returns
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 15:46:16 -0700
Larry Mayer, of Bears.com, reports Chicago Bears FB J.D. Runnels (quad) returned to practice Monday, Aug. 7.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/8/2006, 03:27 PM
I hope Runnels does well. I always liked him...

KC//CRIMSON
8/8/2006, 07:24 PM
Got this stuff fom another board.

Tommie and Dusty
http://members.cox.net/n-gardner/tomdust.jpg

Dusty
http://members.cox.net/n-gardner/dusty.jpg

Quotes from the board:

Bradley still catching everthing coming his way!

Runnels looks good.

p.j.pope and j.d.runnels were looking really good today!

Runnels caught a few balls, one of them was pretty impressive and looked like it could have been a 15 yard gain or so if they were tackling live.

I watched Dusty on one play and he collapsed the pocket almost instantly, got a good push and nearly knocked his blocker over, didn't see who it was...

Bradley looks to be moving very well.

It's beginning to sound like we may have a winner in Dusty.

Dvoracek is an animal, I can't wait to watch him line up next to Tommie.

Rookie FB J.D. Runnels again demonstrated good receiving skills out of the backfield.

Bradley caught everything thrown his way

One of the last times rookie defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek lined up in a one-on-one pass-rush drill was at the Senior Bowl in January. He found out Sunday night it's a new world in the NFL as the Bears conducted this drill for the first time. Winning battles at the line quickly to blow up a play in the backfield is what the third-round pick is known for. "I had a decent day,'' he said. "But I have to get better every day. Quickness, pad level, strength ... you have to use everything to be successful. I don't know all these guys, and I have to learn their tendencies.''Pro Bowl performer Tommie Harris looked as explosive as ever in the drill

J.D. Runnels displaying pillow-soft hands catching swing passes out of the backfield

Mark Bradley scorching Devin Hester on an out-and-up along the left sideline

Veteran Jason McKie and rookie J.D. Runnels will battle for Johnson's starting spot, though Runnels missed practice with a quadriceps injury. Coach Lovie Smith said he would return Monday

Dusty Dvoracek just bulldogged Travis Leffew into the ground, and needless to say, Leffew didn’t take too kindly to it. The two of them engage in a pretty heated shoving session before cooler heads prevail. It’s just a matter of time before Dvoracek and Olin Kreutz get into it, and believe me, I would pay extra for a ringside seat to that fight ...

Defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek and guard Travis Leffew had the first brief scuffle of camp, with Dvoracek punching Leffew's facemask. They were separated quickly

Everyone had to be encouraged that wide receiver Mark Bradley practiced and looked good for a second straight day. He made a diving grab of a throw from Rex Grossman and was smooth working across the middle. The hope is he's near 100 percent come the opener in five weeks. ... Feisty defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek got in a brief tussle with Travis Leffew. ...

I'm glad Dvoracek is getting all nice 'n angry. Should be fun come game time...

Mark Bradley looked pretty good, seems that he is regaining his burst off the line and his quickness

I was quite impressed w/ PJ Pope,and JD Runnels

And even though he played w/ the 2nd team Dusty is a beasty!

Offensively Mark Bradley, Justin Gage and especially Rashied Davis were impressive

I was keying on Dusty a bit and he looks like the real deal.

http://bears.hosttown.com/index.php?act=idx

trwxxa
8/8/2006, 07:26 PM
I'm surprised this was overlooked. Well, maybe not :D

Falcons | Chaisson signed
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:55:51 -0700

AtlantaFalcons.com reports the Atlanta Falcons have signed free agent OL Kelvin Chaisson (Texans) to an undisclosed contract.

Rhino
8/9/2006, 04:44 PM
Bears | T. Harris sits out practice Tuesday
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 00:42:19 -0700
K.C. Johnson, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears DL Tommie Harris (hip) sat out practice Tuesday, Aug. 8, with a strained hip flexor.

Ravens | Rolle sits out Tuesday
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 23:09:22 -0700
Mike Duffy, of BaltimoreRavens.com, reports Baltimore Ravens CB Samari Rolle was given the afternoon practice off Tuesday, Aug. 8. CB Corey Ivy filled in for him.

Browns | Perkins expected to start Thursday
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 20:30:56 -0700
Patrick McManamon, of the Akron Beacon Journal, reports Cleveland Browns CB Antonio Perkins practiced with the first-team defense Tuesday, Aug. 8, because CBs Daylon McCutcheon (knee) and Gary Baxter (knee) are out. He is expected to start the team's preseason game Thursday, Aug. 10.

Packers | Hawkins sits out practice Tuesday
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 20:24:11 -0700
Cliff Christl, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers CB Mike Hawkins (knee) did not practice Tuesday, Aug. 8.

Titans | Woolfork needs to show more
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:01:08 -0700
TitansOnline.com reports Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher would like to see more out of CB Andre Woolfolk for the remainder of training camp, "When he gets the opportunity and the ball is in the air, he's got to make a play."

Rhino
8/9/2006, 05:05 PM
“We’re going to substitute quickly on defense,” said Gruden, mentioning fourth-year cornerback Torrie Cox as a player he wants to examine closely. “I want to see Alan Zemaitis. Anthony Bryant, the big nose tackle out of Alabama, is going to play a lot of football. We’re going to look at a lot of guys. Jamie Winborn is going to play a lot. There are a lot of guys we’re looking forward to seeing, [such as] Donte Nicholson. We want to see these guys play and see if they’ve gotten better from year one to year two.” http://www.buccaneers.com/media/photos/misc/Bolden08_08_06_1_b.jpghttp://www.buccaneers.com/media/photos/misc/Nicholson08_04_06_1_b.jpg

Two players who will be closely scrutinized by Gruden and his coaching staff Friday night are rookie offensive linemen Davin Joseph and Jeremy Trueblood. Joseph, a first-round selection out of Oklahoma, has shown flashes of his potential throughout training camp, and Trueblood, the Bucs’ second-round selection, has seen extensive playing time with the first team as a result of an injury to starting right tackle Kenyatta Walker.

“I’m really pleased with our young guys, let’s be honest,” Gruden said. “Trueblood’s out here every day. He’s taken every rep. Davin Joseph’s out here every day, taking tons of reps – and going against great players. [Greg] Spires is a hell of a football player, very physical, so I’ve got a feeling Trueblood is very sore. Hopefully, Spires is a little sore, too. Davin Joseph is in there with Hovan, [Anthony] McFarland and [Ellis] Wyms – that’s a tall order. And when Dewayne White comes out there and plays wherever he plays, it’s been tough and challenging. When you combine that with Kenyatta’s Walker absence and Torrin [Tucker]’s absence and [Toniu] Fonoti not practicing, these guys have done a good job. They need to play somebody else to see how they can adjust to a new scheme.”

Joseph and especially Trueblood will see plenty of action on Friday night, but Gruden has not yet announced a starting lineup for that front five.

“Obviously, Kenyatta is missing a lot of time,” said Gruden. “If he’s not ready to go, [Jeremy] Trueblood will start at right tackle. And Davin Joseph – I didn’t say he was starting. I don’t know if anybody did. If you’ve seen practice, he has made a strong case to become a starter. I’ve seen the films, you’ve watched practice. We’ll make those final determinations here in the next couple of days. And once again, at the end of our real preparation for this team, we’ll determine the health of the team and what lines and what players will play.” http://www.buccaneers.com/media/photos/misc/Joseph08_01_06_1_b.jpg

critical_phil
8/10/2006, 10:07 AM
http://www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/AGNIHFGBAHCK/Runnels_inside053006.jpg

Runnels fired up about playing in first NFL game

August 8, 2006
By Larry Mayer

Rookie fullback J.D. Runnels, a sixth-round draft pick from Oklahoma, shares his thoughts in a weekly diary on ChicagoBears.com:

I'm very excited about the chance to play in my first NFL game when we open the preseason Friday night in San Francisco against the 49ers. I turned on the Hall of Fame Game the other night and it really sank in. Being down here at training camp for as long as we have, I hate to say that you get used to putting on an NFL uniform, but you do get a little sidetracked from thinking about it.

When you see the Hall of Fame Game and you realize that on Friday everybody's going to be watching us. It's real humbling and it's going to be a great experience for me. It's something that you try to take and run with but you try to cherish at the same time. I'm excited and I'm thrilled to be here and I'm ready to go seize the moment.

In a sense, you try to think about it the same way as college and try not to let your head go a thousand different ways. I'm going to try to control all my emotions and play the game that I've been playing my whole life and do what I've been doing here-just at a high intensity and against another NFL team, which is something that we haven't got to do.

I always dreamed about playing in the NFL when I was growing up. I think the first time any kid sees an NFL game he's going to aspire to reach that level because it is the ultimate level.

I want to show the coaches what I've been showing them, that I'm a complete fullback and that I can really take on the complete load and do whatever needs to be done, especially in the preseason because the same things that are going to happen there are going to double when it comes to the regular season as far as blitzing, running and blocking. I just want them to know that I can handle the pressure.

I hurt my quad a little bit in last Saturday morning's special teams practice. It swelled up a little bit on me and I'd say that right now I'm about 80-85 percent.

It's one of those deals where you try to rest it, but there's only so much rest that you can do when you're up and running every day. I feel good right now and I can do pretty much what's needed. I know that I'll be 100 percent by the time game time comes and I'll be ready.

Seeing Bryan Johnson go down with a hamstring injury the other day really did hurt me. It was the point that I realized this is a business and that when one chain link is down, somebody else has to pick up the link and that's where I'm going to have to do what I have to do.

jackietreehorn
8/10/2006, 01:38 PM
It looks more like the Scottish martial art... **** You.

yeah, it's mostly headbutting and kicking people on the ground!

nice quote sir

Rhino
8/10/2006, 03:10 PM
Packers | Hawkins practices Wednesday
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 00:17:10 -0700
Cliff Christl, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers CB Mike Hawkins (knee) returned to practice Wednesday, Aug. 9.

Bears | Berrian sorer than expected
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 23:37:19 -0700
K.C. Johnson, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears WR Bernard Berrian (groin) tested his sore groin during practice Wednesday, Aug. 9, but said his groin is sorer than expected, according to head coach Lovie Smith. WR Mark Bradley would start the team's preseason game Friday, Aug. 11, if Berrian can not play.

Bears | T. Harris returns to practice Wednesday
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 23:29:19 -0700
Larry Mayer, of ChicagoBears.com, reports Chicago Bears DL Tommie Harris (hip) returned to practice Wednesday, Aug. 9.

Lions | Lehman misses practice, remains on PUP list
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:41:26 -0700
Detroit Lions LB Teddy Lehman (foot) did not practice Wednesday, Aug. 9, and remains on the team's Physically Unable to Perform list.

Rhino
8/15/2006, 12:12 PM
Lions | Lehman participates in morning drill
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:20:46 -0700
George Sipple, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions LB Teddy Lehman (foot) participated in a morning drill Monday, Aug. 14, in pads. There is still no timetable when he will play.

Packers | Hawkins misses practice Monday
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:42:02 -0700
Cliff Christl, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers CB Mike Hawkins (knee) missed practice Monday, Aug. 14.

Bears | Dvoracek sits out practice Monday
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:43:21 -0700
Larry Mayer, of ChicagoBears.com, reports Chicago Bears DL Dusty Dvoracek (foot) missed practice Monday, Aug. 14.

Browns | Strait acquisition no reflection on cornerback injuries
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:42:09 -0700
Tom Withers, of the Associated Press, reports Cleveland Browns head coach Romeo Crennel said the addition of CB/S Derrick Strait is not an indication that the injuries to CBs Gary Baxter and Daylon McCutcheon are any more serious than has been discussed. "I hope they are coming back in the time period that we are shooting for," he said. "You know how injuries are. You can never tell and it doesn't hurt to cover yourself a little bit."

Browns | Jones ahead in strong safety battle
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:09:51 -0700
Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns SS Sean Jones has pulled ahead of SS Brodney Pool in the competition for the team's starting strong safety spot, according to head coach Romeo Crennel.

Jets | Suggs acquired in trade with Browns
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:23:42 -0700
ESPNews reports the Cleveland Browns have traded RB Lee Suggs to the New York Jets in exchange for CB Derrick Strait.

Saints | J. Brown makes some mistakes Saturday
Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:09:34 -0700
Benjamin Hochman, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports New Orleans Saints OG Jammal Brown gave up a sack to a No. 2 defensive player and allowed Tennessee Titans DL Antwan Odom to hurry Saints QB Jaime Martin into an incomplete pass. For the most part, Brown played consistently over the first two quarters. Brown said, " Most of the assignments I knew in this new offense. I was on the right guy most of the time. Even though I did make some mistakes here and there, I pretty much knew what I had to do. And I finished some guys on some plays, so that was real good. I felt comfortable and everything was going well. I just have to learn there's more speed guys on that side. I just have to get more depth."

Jaguars | Ingram injured in preseason opener
Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:12:51 -0700
Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports Jacksonville Jaguars LB Clint Ingram (calf) suffered a calf contusion in the team's preseason opener Saturday, Aug. 12.

Cardinals | L. Mitchell sits out Saturday
Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:04:50 -0700
AZCardinals.com reports Arizona Cardinals LB Lance Mitchell (knee) sat out the team's preseason game Saturday, Aug. 12.

Rhino
8/15/2006, 12:13 PM
http://www.nyjets.com/news/articles/show_article?short_name=news&article_id=836

"New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini announced Tuesday that Lee Suggs, who was acquired a day before in a trade with Cleveland, failed his physical. The trade is now void and defensive back Derrick Strait will return to New York.

"In terms of trade, Lee Suggs failed his physical," said Mangini. "Pursuant to any trade that is now void, Derrick Strait will be coming back here today and Lee will return to the Browns. It's just one of those things that happens. We had of a process in place medically to make sure that every player we bring in can be able to perform and it's pretty standard operating procedure."

Rhino
8/15/2006, 02:09 PM
First NFL game an out-of-body experience for Runnels (http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=16559)
By Larry Mayer
August 15, 2006
Rookie fullback J.D. Runnels, a sixth-round draft pick from Oklahoma, shares his thoughts in a weekly diary on ChicagoBears.com:

Playing in my first NFL game Friday night in San Francisco was a great experience. Reality set in for me even before I stepped on the field. It happened when I put my jersey on before the game. It was kind of an out-of-body experience, just looking around and saying, "Wow."

Offensively, I played extremely well. I played 15 snaps and graded out at 100 percent. I also played nine snaps on special teams and graded out at about a "C" average because I messed up twice. Once was on a kickoff and the 49ers ended up getting a pretty long return.

My first play on offense came right after P.J. Pope caught that swing pass down the left sideline. We were going to run an isolation play and I was getting all geared up to go knock somebody's head off and the referee blew his whistle right before the ball was snapped to review the play.

Fortunately, they upheld the call, giving us a first down, and we ended up doing the same play. So it worked out pretty well and it was all downhill from there. My first two plays actually came on punt returns, but both were fair catches so I don't really count those.

I seemed to get into a groove really early on offense and that just comes from working hard and practicing hard and knowing that I have the potential to play on this level and going out there on the field and executing.

Offensively, I knew what to expect. I studied film pretty hard-we all do as a running back corps. There was never a nervous moment on offense for me. The only nerve-wracking part was waiting for my first play on special teams. Every time San Francisco's offense would get to third down early in the game, it was like, "Oh my God, I'm about to go in on the next play."
Traveling to the game was similar to the way it was at Oklahoma. In college, every game is so big. I'm sure it's going to be that way here too, but it was a lot more relaxed because it was a preseason game. It was a great experience and it went really well. Time just flew by.

It was really weird having life set in after the game as far as getting back into Chicago at seven o'clock in the morning after flying all night back from San Francisco.

The night before the game, I roomed with Dusty Dvoracek, my former Oklahoma teammate. We shared four good years at OU and we know each other very well. We were both so excited to get out there that we had to keep calming each other down in the room. He's a fired up guy and I am too so we had to keep saying, "Let's sit down and quit pacing around this room."

In preparing for this week's preseason game against the Chargers, the only thing that the coaches really want me to do is to keep playing with a chip on my shoulder and playing like my hair's on fire. That's all I can really do. If I do that, then everything else will take care of itself. http://www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/DAKLMBDGBHCK/Runnels_inside081506.jpg

Rhino
8/15/2006, 02:14 PM
From their first preseason game of the year:

Corey Ivy:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/GBADHNKEIBKJ/Giants8.jpg

Kelly Gregg:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/GBADHNKEIBKJ/Giants10.jpg

Mark Clayton:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/GBADHNKEIBKJ/Giants11.jpg

Chris Chester:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/GBADHNKEIBKJ/Giants12.jpg

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2006, 02:14 PM
JD is my new favorite NFL player.......i dont remember anybody ever at OU being a bigger class act than him

Rhino
8/15/2006, 02:17 PM
Bradley, Dvoracek, Harris, Runnells:
http://www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/NFOFEJJCBHCK/group_49ers_1.jpg

Dusty:
http://www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/NFOFEJJCBHCK/dvoracek_49ers_1.jpg

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2006, 02:19 PM
Bradley, Dvoracek, Harris, Runnells:
http://www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/NFOFEJJCBHCK/group_49ers_1.jpg

THAT is a damn cool pic......major spek to rhino for that one

OUstudent4life
8/15/2006, 02:49 PM
Is Dusty doing a horns down?

He's s'posed to wait until OU/tx weekend for that :D.

Rhino
8/15/2006, 03:52 PM
Safety First (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/08/08/nfl.safety0814/)
Opportunity knocks for two recent second-round draft picks in the Browns' defensive backfieldBy Bill Syken

A second-round NFL draft pick expects to start, if not right away then before very long. That's how Sean Jones saw it when the Browns took him out of Georgia in 2004. Same for Oklahoma's Brodney Pool when he was Cleveland's choice in '05. Neither has gotten a start yet, but one will get the call -- and only one, because both play strong safety -- when the Browns open the season at home against the Saints on Sept. 10. The two are vying for the spot that opened up in March with the trade of last year's starter, Chris Crocker, to the Falcons. Coach Romeo Crennel says the potential he saw in the pair gave him the confidence to make that move. "Their upside was good enough that we would take that chance and coach them up," says Crennel. "At least one of them would come to the forefront."

Though Jones was drafted a year ahead of Pool, he missed all of 2004 after tearing his left ACL in a minicamp. Last year he led the Browns special teams with 20 tackles but appeared in only four games at safety. Pool was used in the dime package in 13 games, logging an interception, a sack and 26 tackles. Through the first week of camp, Crennel gave Jones a slight edge based on his superior hitting ability and deep coverage. The coach says Pool shows his lack of seasoning at times.

Of course, Cleveland hopes that pitting Jones and Pool against each other will speed both players' development. Veteran free safety Brian Russell, who'll play alongside the winner, says the two are better this year at making coverage calls, disguising coverages and moving decisively at the snap. During a seven-on-seven passing drill last week, Pool sniffed out a route and reacted in time to bat the ball from a receiver over the middle. The oppressive heat had stifled most on-field chatter that day, but Pool's play roused teammates to shout, "Yeah, Brodney!"

Jones and Pool are friends and downplay the competition. "We're both from big-time college programs," says Pool. "We competed against friends in college and in high school, so it's nothing new. It's part of football."

The starter won't be named until after each player gets his turns in the preseason games and shows how well he can run the defensive backfield. And the contest doesn't end when the season begins. Whether it's Jones or Pool who starts against New Orleans, the other will play in dime packages and continue pressing for the starting job. Says Pool, "Training camp is just the beginning of the battle."

Issue date: August 14, 2006 http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/08/08/nfl.safety0814/t1_safety.jpg

Bourbon St Sooner
8/15/2006, 04:36 PM
Jerome Brown really got dogged down here for his game Saturday night. I didn't see the game so I don't know if that was because of the one sack and one hurry or for his whole performance. It's only his first game at left tackle so I expect JB to step it up.

Rhino
8/17/2006, 11:48 AM
Jets | Strait back at practice
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 06:01:14 -0700
Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports New York Jets CB/S Derrick Strait returned to practice Wednesday, Aug. 16, wearing his familiar No. 20 jersey and starting at safety. Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said he admired the way Strait and his agent, Michael Lartigue, handled the situation of Strait's trade to the Cleveland Browns and subsequent return to the Jets.

Browns | Perkins misses practice Wednesday
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:37:56 -0700
Steve King, of ClevelandBrowns.com, reports Cleveland Browns CB Antonio Perkins (ankle) missed practice Wednesday, Aug. 16 and Tuesday, Aug. 15.

Lions | Lehman remains on PUP list
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 19:35:01 -0700
Detroit Lions LB Teddy Lehman (foot) remains on the team's Physically Unable to Perform list and missed practice Wednesday, Aug. 16.

Titans | B. Jones does not practice Wednesday morning
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:25:17 -0700
Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans WR Brandon Jones (knee) did not practice Wednesday morning, Aug. 16.

Saints | Police and courts: J. Brown
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:12:22 -0700
The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports New Orleans Saints OT Jammal Brown, who is charged with domestic abuse battery, pleaded innocent through his attorney Wednesday, Aug. 16, in 22nd Judicial District Court in Covington, Louisiana. It is a misdemeanor offense punishable upon first offense by a prison term of 10 days to six months and a fine of $300 to $1,000. Brown's trial is scheduled for Dec. 4.

Bears | Bradley given Wednesday off; expected to play Friday
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:28:52 -0700
John Mullin, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears WR Mark Bradley was given practice off Wednesday, Aug. 16. He is expected to play in the team's preseason game Friday, Aug. 18.

Chiefs | Bartee does not practice Tuesday
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:15:01 -0700
Elizabeth Merrill, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs FS William Bartee (Achilles') did not practice Tuesday, Aug. 15.

Bears | T. Harris thought of quitting
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 05:34:13 -0700
John Mullin, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears DL Tommie Harris thought about quitting football recently. Harris said, "Two weeks ago I was thinking about quitting. I was wondering what was wrong with me, why I didn't have the drive anymore. I talked to my Mom and said, 'I don't know if I want to do this. The love of the game is not there." Harris believes he was holding back because he was reluctant to face the risk of totally committing himself to the game. Harris added, " It's almost like I'm afraid to be great. Because if I show you greatness, then I'm going to have to be that on a consistent basis. But now I feel there's no turning back. I've made up my mind, and this is just recently, to go for broke. I've never really opened myself up to something like this before. My fear is failure. Now I'm going to see how good I can do for the first time in my life."

Packers | M. Hawkins misses practice Tuesday
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 01:01:00 -0700
Cliff Christl, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers CB Mike Hawkins (knee) missed practice Tuesday, Aug. 15.

Rhino
8/17/2006, 11:53 AM
Dan Cody lateralling a fumble
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/GHOBJKLEIBKJ/CodyD_081406_4.jpg
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/CEBNFDKEIBKJ/CodyD_PashosT_081306_1.jpg

Mark Clayton
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/CEBNFDKEIBKJ/ClaytonM_081306_1.jpg

jccouger
8/17/2006, 02:25 PM
Bears | T. Harris thought of quitting
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 05:34:13 -0700
John Mullin, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears DL Tommie Harris thought about quitting football recently. Harris said, "Two weeks ago I was thinking about quitting. I was wondering what was wrong with me, why I didn't have the drive anymore. I talked to my Mom and said, 'I don't know if I want to do this. The love of the game is not there." Harris believes he was holding back because he was reluctant to face the risk of totally committing himself to the game. Harris added, " It's almost like I'm afraid to be great. Because if I show you greatness, then I'm going to have to be that on a consistent basis. But now I feel there's no turning back. I've made up my mind, and this is just recently, to go for broke. I've never really opened myself up to something like this before. My fear is failure. Now I'm going to see how good I can do for the first time in my life."

Wow, hes never tried his greatest? That scares me to think of what he can do...

Rhino
8/21/2006, 02:27 PM
Buccaneers | D. Joseph appears to have won starting job
Sun, 20 Aug 2006 20:45:38 -0700
Roy Cummings, writing for the Sporting News, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers OG Davin Joseph appears to have won the starting right guard job with the team.

Packers | Hawkins does not play Saturday
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 20:18:53 -0700
Packers.com reports Green Bay Packers CB Mike Hawkins (knee) did not play in the team's preseason game Saturday, Aug. 19.

Chiefs | Wilkerson excused from practice Saturday
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:51:35 -0700
KCChiefs.com reports Kansas City Chiefs DL Jimmy Wilkerson was excused from practice Saturday, Aug .19, according to head coach Herman Edwards. He is expected to return Monday, Aug. 21.

jk the sooner fan
8/21/2006, 02:40 PM
i watched the bears game friday nite, JD got alot of playing time, he looked out of place at times looking for somebody to hit but did really well picking up the block others

didint see Dusty play

Rhino
8/21/2006, 02:41 PM
Mark Bradley
http://chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/LONCIBGNBHCK/bradley_chargers.jpg

Tommie Harris
http://chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/LONCIBGNBHCK/defense_chargers1.jpg

Rhino
8/21/2006, 02:42 PM
i watched the bears game friday nite, JD got alot of playing time, he looked out of place at times looking for somebody to hit but did really well picking up the block others JD was a step behind all game long. It sucked to watch him in that game.

jk the sooner fan
8/21/2006, 02:44 PM
JD was a step behind all game long. It sucked to watch him in that game.

hopefully he'll make the roster in spite of it!

Rhino
8/21/2006, 02:50 PM
Dan Cody
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/GGBNHCOEIBKJ/Eagles6.jpg

Rhino
8/21/2006, 03:03 PM
Travis Wilson (#81)
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/building/training/images/1291.f.jpg

pb4ou
8/21/2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I kept watching for Dusty also. Never did see him.

Egeo
8/27/2006, 09:04 PM
what are the best nfl forums so that i can find this info for myself?

colleyvillesooner
8/27/2006, 10:15 PM
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Rhino
8/30/2006, 03:55 PM
I haven't been keeping up with alot of stuff lately, but:

Monday:
William Bartee was placed on the Physically Unable to Perform list by the Chiefs

Tuesday:
Oakland Raiders released Tim Duncan.

critical_phil
9/4/2006, 04:37 PM
eric bassey signed to Buffalo's practice squad. not too bad. maybe he's just a late bloomer.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/Transactions.html

Egeo
9/4/2006, 04:45 PM
donte nicholson and q were cut
along with notable names stefon lefors, peter warrick, omar jacobs and mike hass

birddog
9/4/2006, 04:53 PM
i'm really surprised omar was cut. i think he's the real deal. atleast he was in college. any news on what q will do now? i wouldn't mind him coaching our rb's in the future.

Collier11
9/8/2006, 02:42 PM
I dont think anyone has stated this but if so I apologize, but it looks like jd runnels has made the bears as the #2 fb. They cut two other fb's and he is listed as backup on their current depth chart. That is awesome, if anyone deserves it, it is him!!!

homerSimpsonsBrain
9/8/2006, 04:11 PM
I dont think anyone has stated this but if so I apologize, but it looks like jd runnels has made the bears as the #2 fb. They cut two other fb's and he is listed as backup on their current depth chart. That is awesome, if anyone deserves it, it is him!!!

No kidding! They were saying earlier that he would be waived. Got a link?

Rhino
9/8/2006, 04:21 PM
No kidding! They were saying earlier that he would be waived. Got a link? Runnels ecstatic to earn roster spot (http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=2370)

Rhino
9/8/2006, 04:39 PM
The Ravens released Remi Ayodele.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=73246
Linebacker Lance Mitchell (ankle) was waived injured; he has five days to receive an injury settlement with the team or be placed on injured reserve.

BigRedJed
9/8/2006, 04:41 PM
Dammit Rhino! Good news! Good news, PLSTHX.

soonerreign
9/8/2006, 04:45 PM
Runnels ecstatic to earn roster spot (http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=2370)

Very Cool!

Rhino
9/8/2006, 04:54 PM
The Lions released Lynn McGruder.
The Chargers released Wes Sims.

BigRedJed
9/8/2006, 04:59 PM
Mabye you didn't catch what I was asking. GOOD NEWS. OK? plsthx.

BigRedJed
9/21/2006, 08:19 PM
I ran into Wes Sims on Sunday, looking at houses. Still wearing Chargers gear, so I guess he's not holding a grudge. He was barely getting around on crutches. Nice guy, hope he gets healthy soon and gets another shot. Oh, and he is HUGE.

BigRedJed
9/21/2006, 08:20 PM
BTW, it was funny because the realtor was handing out football schedule bookmarkers, and she gave him one saying "I bet you'll like it. I can see by your shirt that you're a football fan..."

critical_phil
10/27/2006, 10:01 AM
anyone know wtf is going on with derrick strait?

traded, not traded, cut, signed, cut.

i read that he worked out for the Pats this week. something is funny about this whole deal. he isn't an all-Pro corner, but i can't imagine him not finding a roster spot.

KC//CRIMSON
2/27/2007, 03:13 PM
Two former NFL starters were among 134 promising young players chosen by the six NFL Europa League teams during Friday's free agent draft.

Running back Quentin Griffin and wide receiver Rashaun Woods will suit up for the Hamburg Sea Devils this spring after being chosen in the first and fifth rounds, respectively.

Griffin was a fourth-round draft pick of the Denver Broncos in 2003. He started five games for the Broncos from 2003-04, rushing for 656 yards and two touchdowns before suffering a knee injury. He rushed for 3,756 yards and 44 touchdowns during a stellar college career at Oklahoma.

Woods, who was chosen by the San Francisco 49ers in 2004, becomes the sixth former NFL first-round draft pick to play in NFL Europa.

http://www.nfleurope.com/

colleyvillesooner
2/27/2007, 04:50 PM
Wow. From first round NFL pick to 5th round NFL Europe pick. Is pushing off legal in the NFL Europe? :D

swardboy
2/27/2007, 05:46 PM
I think this is a good thing for Q...shake off the fumbleitis rap, and the injury questions....good luck Q!

BigRedJed
2/27/2007, 05:48 PM
Ironic that in the NFL he got a rep for fumbling and being injury-prone. Exactly the opposite of his college career.