PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I'm going to brag a bit

Norm In Norman
5/4/2006, 10:14 PM
so if you don't want to read something about the boy or don't want to see me brag about crap, then please don't click on this.

The Boy is 5 years old and in Kindergarten right now, for those of you keeping score. Today we got a note in his Thursday folder asking our permission for him to be tested for the gifted and talented program (whatever that is these days - I dunno if it's different from when I was a kid). I dunno - maybe they ask every kid or something. Well, come to find out this was prompted from a standardised reading test he took today. At the end of the year, he is supposed to score a 2 on this test. I don't know what that number means. In January, he scored a 4. I guessed that was pretty good. Today, the teacher emailed us and said she stopped testing him after he reached a 20. I really don't know what that means, but I'm thinking it's really good. I think if she would have let him finish or something I'd feel even better. Was she afraid he might score a 400 and would still be testing right now? Who knows?

Anyway, I hope he gets into the program. I remember I was always allowed to work ahead on stuff when I was in school. In fact, i remember my mom bitching out my fourth grade teacher because I wasn't coming home with homework. What was really happening is I was doing my homework real fast at school so I wouldn't have to do it at home. I sometimes worry that he might end up like me and sort of do the work too quickly so he can goof off later. Those habits didn't really help me in college too much. I REALLY don't want him being held up because the curriculum isn't challenging enough.

Of course, this is assuming he really is smart. I can only assume I am biased because he is my son.

setem
5/4/2006, 10:17 PM
That is awesome man! Congrats! My nephew is in G&T, its a good deal man.

Once again Congrats!

dolemitesooner
5/4/2006, 10:18 PM
Congrats.....props for being a good parent

Norm In Norman
5/4/2006, 10:19 PM
Nah, i pretty much let him go and do his own thing. I assume he learns stuff from television or someplace.

setem
5/4/2006, 10:20 PM
Nah, i pretty much let him go and do his own thing. I assume he learns stuff from television or someplace.

That makes me laugh! Did you go to the Adam Sandler school of parenting?

If you did....AWESOME!

bigdsooner
5/4/2006, 10:25 PM
congrats norm and mr norm. good job with your son

jk the sooner fan
5/4/2006, 10:30 PM
great stuff Norm!

leftfield
5/4/2006, 10:32 PM
congrats dude...nothing wrong with bragging either.

Norm In Norman
5/4/2006, 10:37 PM
Hey, I can only assume he's not going to pass the test. Again, I think he's smart but I'm a bit biased. And even if he does pass it, maybe that's just smarter than dumb kids or something and I don't know it. I'll keep you guys posted though.

oumartin
5/4/2006, 10:46 PM
well, obviously got the smart gene from your wife! ;)

walkoffsooner
5/4/2006, 10:52 PM
Brag every chance you get its just part of caring.

Sooner_Bob
5/4/2006, 10:53 PM
Ain't it great when your kids achieve stuff like this out of the blue . . . hopefully this is just the start of great things for him.

Norm In Norman
5/4/2006, 10:54 PM
Maybe he's smart enough to be a linebacker?

soonerbrat
5/4/2006, 11:00 PM
you know, that's considered "special education"
you'll have to sign a permission form.

yermom
5/4/2006, 11:03 PM
if he reads that well, he should stay off here for a while ;)

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/4/2006, 11:26 PM
Maybe he's smart enough to be a linebacker?He's already smart enough to be QB at Texas.

Tailwind
5/4/2006, 11:29 PM
Cool!

Jimminy Crimson
5/4/2006, 11:30 PM
Congrats Normito!

...who's the dad? :norm:

picasso
5/4/2006, 11:31 PM
the initial post was too long. what did it say?

soonerbrat
5/4/2006, 11:32 PM
the initial post was too long. what did it say?

norm's boy is really smart.
he's gifted and talented.

dolemitesooner
5/5/2006, 01:00 AM
Congrats Normito!

...who's the dad? :norm:
Don't tell anyone ..but we are getting testing done. I might be the boys dad.

setem
5/5/2006, 01:07 AM
Send a tube of chap stick along with your kid on test day. Have him run the chap stick down the black lines on the side of the scantron sheet.

INSTANT - A
INSTANT GENIUS!

I think it destroys the machine when they run it through....dont let him do that.

slickdawg
5/5/2006, 04:16 AM
He's already smart enough to be QB at Texas.

HA!

:texan:

slickdawg
5/5/2006, 04:18 AM
Norm & Mrs. Norm, I'D BE BRAGGIN' TOO!

That's great!

Can you get him to run for president in 2008? The other choices aren't as
smart as he is. ;)

AlbqSooner
5/5/2006, 06:55 AM
Braggin ain't bad when it is about your kiddo. Just make sure you brag TO your kid as well. Kids tend to think of themselves as normal or worse. Make sure he understands that you and other adults think he is smart. Lots of smart adults didn't know they were smart until they were adults.

LilSooner
5/5/2006, 07:17 AM
That's awesome! Good for him.

5/5/2006, 07:54 AM
My boy wiped a booger on the grass yesterday.

Hey, it's progress.

Norm In Norman
5/5/2006, 08:12 AM
For the booger?

OUDoc
5/5/2006, 08:15 AM
Congrats, Norm and 12.

sanantoniosooner
5/5/2006, 08:28 AM
Why didn't your son fix the kitchen faucet?

skycat
5/5/2006, 12:01 PM
I'll coopt this bragging thread instead of starting my own.

My son was born about a week ago. No word yet on how smart he is.

PrideTrombone
5/5/2006, 12:08 PM
Braggin ain't bad when it is about your kiddo. Just make sure you brag TO your kid as well. Kids tend to think of themselves as normal or worse. Make sure he understands that you and other adults think he is smart. Lots of smart adults didn't know they were smart until they were adults.

Heh, I was always the opposite. My parents spent most of my childhood trying to keep me from feeling superior to all the other kids. Didn't really work. :D

GottaHavePride
5/5/2006, 12:15 PM
I'll coopt this bragging thread instead of starting my own.

My son was born about a week ago. No word yet on how smart he is.

congrats, dude!

skycat
5/5/2006, 12:53 PM
congrats, dude!

Thanks!

BeetDigger
5/5/2006, 01:00 PM
Congrats Norm. Although, as many teachers will tell you, the true "gifted" kids are one's that you don't really want to be around. They're all goofy and stuff. They look at things from a different perspective. My wife had only a couple of them in her 12 years of teaching and both of them were amazingly smart, but also had no friends cause all of the other kids thought they were weird. What they need in school are programs for the Gifted and programs for the high achievers.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/5/2006, 03:21 PM
Norm can thank me for this.

tbl
5/5/2006, 03:39 PM
The only catch is sometimes the GT kids have to ride the short bus to school. Just make sure you point that out to your neighbors when it toots it's little horn outside your door. ;)

picasso
5/5/2006, 03:43 PM
My boy wiped a booger on the grass yesterday.

Hey, it's progress.
next trick is teaching him to wipe it on furniture.

then, when he's ready, the flick.

tbl
5/5/2006, 03:45 PM
Ha! My 2 year old has already learned the flick. She even rolls them up first. I actually had to teach her the wipe the other night b/c she was having trouble with a sticky one... Now I just have to get her to understand the designated areas (inside the pant leg, under the couch/chair/desk/table/shoe, etc.).

Mrs. Norm
5/11/2006, 05:50 PM
UPDATE: The boy took the test this week and he made it in! He scored in the 97th percentile, which put him in the gifted program. We are so excited!!

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/11/2006, 05:51 PM
I love that boy.

Not Norm..The Boy.

Yay, Norm family!

Norm In Norman
5/11/2006, 09:10 PM
I've been asking him all week if he took his test yet and he said no. Finally (after he got his results) I asked him if he took it today and he said no. Then I asked him if a different teacher had him do puzzles or something and he said "OH YEAH! Mrs. (something or other) did! That was the day before the day before the day before today."

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/12/2006, 09:03 AM
I've been asking him all week if he took his test yet and he said no. Finally (after he got his results) I asked him if he took it today and he said no. Then I asked him if a different teacher had him do puzzles or something and he said "OH YEAH! Mrs. (something or other) did! That was the day before the day before the day before today."

See?

He's already smarter than you.

pb4ou
5/12/2006, 11:03 AM
You see, all those days watching Sesame Street finally paid off huh?