PDA

View Full Version : OU-Texas to renew Cotton Bowl deal

Jay C. Upchurch
5/4/2006, 04:46 PM
NORMAN — Athletic Directors of the University of Oklahoma and
the University of Texas have agreed in principal with the State Fair of
Texas on a new five-year contract that will keep the AT&T Red River Rivalry football game in Dallas through 2010. The new deal adds two years to the previous contract that ran through 2008.

The agreement does not require that structural improvements be made to
the 75-year-old Cotton Bowl. Any renovations made to the stadium would be a City of Dallas or State Fair decision.

Texas and Oklahoma will meet this season for the 101st time on Oct. 7.
The AT&T Red River Rivalry has been played on a neutral field in Dallas each year since 1929. The first time the two teams played in that city was

"The OU-Texas game represents one of the great traditions of college football, largely because of its location in Dallas, a neutral location
for both universities, and the unique atmosphere that exists at the State
Fair. It is also unique in that both universities are allowed an equal number
of seats for their fans which adds to the excitement of the event," said OU Athletics Director Joe Castiglione. "Obviously, we cannot put aside the practical aspects, but we sense commitment from our partners and other constituents in Dallas and are anxious to work toward an agreement that
can address our very real concerns, while preserving the greatness of this event."

"We have enjoyed a long and storied relationship with the State Fair of Texas," Texas Men's Athletics Director DeLoss Dodds said. "The
experience has been wonderful. The game is a tradition. We have a great working relationship with State Fair officials and I credit President Errol
McKoy and Pete Schenkel (Dallas businessman and former chairman of the Stat Fair of Texas) for making this extension a reality."

OU SID Report

yermom
5/4/2006, 04:50 PM
that makes me feel a little better.

the City of Dallas and/or State Fair had better step up and do something soon though...

setem
5/4/2006, 04:55 PM
They will work something out. The money lost from not having the game at the fair would be to much to let go of. HURAAAY FOR BEER!

We get to bust them up in the big D for a few more years.

DalHorn
5/4/2006, 04:57 PM
Knowing how the city / mayor works around here I'm shocked to say the least.

and happy. :D

Scott D
5/4/2006, 05:04 PM
"We have enjoyed a long and storied relationship with the State Fair of Texas," Texas Men's Athletics Director DeLoss Dodds said. "The
experience has been wonderful. The game is a tradition. We have a great working relationship with State Fair officials and I credit President Errol
McKoy and Pete Schenkel (Dallas businessman and former chairman of the Stat Fair of Texas) for making this extension a reality."

Translation: I didn't want to get burned in effigy and called an Aggy in Austin. I was also afraid of pictures of my relations with goats becoming public.

LSUdeek
5/4/2006, 05:05 PM
Translation: I didn't want to get burned in effigy and called an Aggy in Austin. I was also afraid of pictures of my relations with goats becoming public.

:D

JohnnyMack
5/4/2006, 05:07 PM
What year does JerryWorld open again?

colleyvillesooner
5/4/2006, 05:10 PM
2009/2010

mrowl
5/4/2006, 05:10 PM
What year does JerryWorld open again?

'09

This is great news. This hopefully means that work on the 1st phase will start immediately. And the 2nd phase will be in the bond election in the fall.

OUstudent4life
5/4/2006, 05:15 PM
I like how Dodds didn't thank the Dallas mayor-what-her-face.

Jay C. Upchurch
5/4/2006, 05:15 PM
Here is what OU coach Bob Stoops had to say about the pending OU-Texas renewal....

"This is good news. Hopefully all parties involved will find a way to keep the game in Dallas and work towards a solution that might allow us to play there for a long time. This is a long-standing and great tradition in college football and it means a lot to so many players, coaches and fans."

OUfan7
5/4/2006, 05:16 PM
BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!

TheUnnamedSooner
5/4/2006, 05:20 PM
yay! getting drunk and beating up whorns in the west end to continue! It's a tradition that keeps on giving!

colleyvillesooner
5/4/2006, 05:23 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/050506dnmetcottonbowl.c87abc7.html

Texas-OU to stay put through 2010

05:06 PM CDT on Thursday, May 4, 2006
By BRIAN DAVIS and CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

Texas and Oklahoma officials agreed to a new five-year contract Thursday that will keep their football series at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas until 2010, according to a release from both schools.

Both schools had a current deal that ran through 2008, but both teams could opt out of the contract after the 2007 game. This new deal would effectively replace the old one and begin this season.

"We have enjoyed a long and storied relationship with the State Fair of Texas," UT athletic director DeLoss Dodds said in a statement. "The experience has been wonderful. The game is a tradition."

OU athletic director Joe Castiglione said: "The OU-Texas game represents one of the great traditions in college football, largely because of its location in Dallas, a neutral location for both universities, and the unique atmosphere that exists at the State Fair."

UT coach Mack Brown and OU coach Bob Stoops could not be reached immediately.

Rumors have swirled about the future of the Red River Rivalry, a game that's been an annual Dallas tradition since 1929.

In late January, the Oklahoma board of regents gave athletic director Joe Castiglione permission to seek a long-term deal. Texas' position, however, was unknown. School officials there said something would be known by late May.

UT and OU officials have asked the city to make substantial upgrades to the aging facility. City officials have proposed a $50-million renovation that would push capacity beyond 90,000. But both schools were willing to move the series to a home-and-home basis.

This new contract does not require the city to make any provisions, according to the statement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Online at: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/050506dnmetcottonbowl.c87abc7.html

colleyvillesooner
5/4/2006, 05:24 PM
'09

This is great news. This hopefully means that work on the 1st phase will start immediately. And the 2nd phase will be in the bond election in the fall.

This new contract does not require the city to make any provisions, according to the statement.

:(

SoonerShark
5/4/2006, 05:55 PM
The stadium was okay until Americans' butts grew 30% wider. The seats put you fairly close to the field, including sitting in the upper deck unlike our stadium that has a new upper deck closer to Shawnee than the football field. I like the ancient nature of the Cotton Bowl. We can put up with a little discomfort for 3-1/2 hours per year. The new stadiums keep you so far away from the field that makes it better to stay home and watch the game on TV.

colleyvillesooner
5/4/2006, 05:55 PM
The stadium was okay until Americans' butts grew 30% wider. The seats put you fairly close to the field, including sitting in the upper deck unlike our stadium that has a new upper deck closer to Shawnee than the football field. I like the ancient nature of the Cotton Bowl. We can put up with a little discomfort for 3-1/2 hours per year. The new stadiums keep you so far away from the field that makes it better to stay home and watch the game on TV.

Exactly.

Jello Biafra
5/4/2006, 06:00 PM
The stadium was okay until Americans' butts grew 30% wider.

djoo call me fat?!?!?!

TexasLidig8r
5/4/2006, 06:11 PM
Texas AD and OU AD: "City of Dallas.. Mayor Idiot Yainch of Dallas... we just granted you a stay of execution. GET YOUR SHEYITE TOGETHER NOW! Get the bonds passed. Put the money in the stadium.. NOW.. or after 2010, we WILL be history."

Mayor Yainch: "I wonder if I can get a no smoking ordinance passed for the entire fairgrounds now. I wonder if I can get another homeless shelter built at Fair Park."

Five more years of the greatest tradition in college football. (Well, .. maybe second behind the Army-Navy game).

YES!!!!!!!!!! Lid is happy in his pants.

mrowl
5/4/2006, 06:29 PM

exactly....

My only problem is the bathrooms, its never fun to walk into a bathroom and be in 6 inches of water/???????

mrowl
5/4/2006, 06:35 PM
from DMN Story.....

And it comes about a week before City Hall officials are planning to release details of a 2006 bond program, in which leaders are hoping to include about $50 million worth of renovations to the 76-year-old Cotton Bowl in Dallas' Fair Park.

we will see.....

KyleUT
5/4/2006, 06:44 PM
Hooray! Think ol Joe C and Deloss were playing a little good cop/bad cop? Works for me. We'll see what happens now...watch out if that 5th BCS bowl isn't announced somewhere. Think the grand old lady, the Cotton Bowl could get that slot? hope so!

I'm just giddy over this. Always more fun to beat you guys when there's 35000+ of you wandering around aimlessly with blank looks on your faces!!! :)

silverwheels
5/4/2006, 06:46 PM
exactly....

My only problem is the bathrooms, its never fun to walk into a bathroom and be in 6 inches of water/???????

Get a catheter then. ;)

westcoast_sooner
5/4/2006, 07:26 PM
The stadium was okay until Americans' butts grew 30% wider. I like the ancient nature of the Cotton Bowl. We can put up with a little discomfort for 3-1/2 hours per year.

Who sits anyway? Unless we are winning by 63-14 or something :)

lovesOU
5/4/2006, 07:56 PM
Well, just don't drink so much then!:D

MamaMia
5/4/2006, 07:57 PM
This is wonderful news! Hopefully during this five year span Dallas will make some efforts to do whatever is needed to keep the OU/Texas game at the Cotton Bowl.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/4/2006, 08:02 PM
http://www.xsltblog.com/archives/24805BP%7EThe-Simpsons-Mr-Burns-Excellent.jpg

BajaOklahoma
5/4/2006, 09:36 PM
Rutt-row.
One of the Dallas stations (11) just said Laura (I'm an idjoit) Miller isn't happy with the deal. It will be on the 10 o'clock news.
Probably not a long enough extension.

Duke o Brewery
5/4/2006, 10:33 PM
From SI.com:

AUSTIN (AP) -- The Red River Rivalry is staying in Dallas until 2010.

Texas and Oklahoma officials announced Thursday that they've agreed to keep their annual football game at the Cotton Bowl for another five years, replacing the current contract that expires in 2008.

This is good news," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said. "Hopefully all parties involved will find a way to keep the game in Dallas and work towards a solution that might allow us to play there for a long time."

The pageantry of the game at the Cotton Bowl, where the crowds of the State Fair and the colors of burnt orange and crimson split at the 50-yard line, helped make it one of the top rivalries in college football.

The game has been played on a neutral field in Dallas every year since 1929.

"The experience has been wonderful," Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said in a statement. "The game is a tradition."

But school officials had been concerned the 75-year-old stadium had long ago stopped being a premier facility and considered moving the game to their home fields.

City officials had proposed a $50-million renovation that would push capacity beyond 90,000. The new deal does not require any improvements to the stadium. Any renovations decisions would be made by the city of Dallas or the State Fair.

"Obviously, we cannot put aside the practical aspects," Oklahoma Athletic Director Joe Castiglione said in a statement.

"But we sense commitment from our partners and other constituents in Dallas and are anxious to work toward an agreement that can address our very real concerns, while preserving the greatness of this event," he said.

What prompted the schools and the city to agree on a new deal instead of continuing to work under the old one remained unclear.

Officials at Texas and Oklahoma said Dodds and Castiglione were unavailable for further comment. Dallas Mayor Laura Miller did not immediately comment.

The possibility of moving the game from its traditional home had rankled some fans. One old coach even chimed in.

"Why fix it? It's far from broken," former Longhorns coach Darrell Royal, who led Texas to two outright national titles and a share of a third, said last month.

"The game's been sold out since I was a freshman in college at Oklahoma," Royal said.

Texas and Oklahoma meet for the 101st time on Oct. 7.

colleyvillesooner
5/4/2006, 10:41 PM
That bolded quote was directed squarely at Dodds.

Good job, Sooner! ;)

colleyvillesooner
5/4/2006, 10:45 PM
from DMN Story.....

And it comes about a week before City Hall officials are planning to release details of a 2006 bond program, in which leaders are hoping to include about $50 million worth of renovations to the 76-year-old Cotton Bowl in Dallas' Fair Park.

we will see.....

Rutt-row.
One of the Dallas stations (11) just said Laura (I'm an idjoit) Miller isn't happy with the deal. It will be on the 10 o'clock news.
Probably not a long enough extension.

From an article on Ch11's website:

The mayor says because there's only a short term agreement, the city's upcoming bond program will not include proposed improvements to the Cotton Bowl.

“Clearly we're not going to put $30 million in for this fall's bond program," Miller said.

Dallas City Councilman Gary Griffith says it's not a dead issue, yet.

“It's weak. It certainly makes it a challenge, but I want to know more about what types of additional agreements we might be able to go back to the universities with."

That’s the big question - can Dallas win a long-term commitment from both schools?

Dallas businessman and former chairman of the State Fair of Texas, Pete Schenkel, helped lead the negotiations.

“I think there’s a strong possibility that we very well could have a bond campaign with the Cotton Bowl on the ticket in three years, if not this year.”

While the bond improvement program may be in doubt for this year, Schenkel says the State Fair of Texas and the City of Dallas will still spend $20 million to upgrade the Cotton Bowl.

No way. I think this points to it moving to Jerry World after 2010.

GreaterState
5/5/2006, 12:13 AM
The mayor says because there's only a short term agreement, the city's upcoming bond program will not include proposed improvements to the Cotton Bowl.

“Clearly we're not going to put $30 million in for this fall's bond program," Miller said.

Oh, clearly, Laura. It's not like anything's going on there the other 364 days per year that you might want to improve the Bowl for. :rolleyes: If Texas-OU leaves, is it their intention to wait until ivy covers it over, or speed up the process by taking a wrecking ball to it?

Seriously, everyone takes a money hit if the game leaves, but the schools would hurt much, much less than the Dallas economy will ... not counting the other business that could improve there if they fixed the place up a bit. Dallas might be on the verge of a very stupid decision ...

olevetonahill
5/5/2006, 12:59 AM
Hooray! Think ol Joe C and Deloss were playing a little good cop/bad cop? Works for me. We'll see what happens now...watch out if that 5th BCS bowl isn't announced somewhere. Think the grand old lady, the Cotton Bowl could get that slot? hope so!

I'm just giddy over this. Always more fun to beat you guys when there's 35000+ of you wandering around aimlessly with blank looks on your faces!!! :)
who in hell greened this Hook 'em :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Neg his azz :cool:

Readyfor8
5/5/2006, 03:36 AM

The problem is that the money made by Dallas and the State of Texas more than warrants a little renovation every 10 years or so. Hell they have had Porto-Johns in there for 10 years.

The renovations are going to cost 30-35 million dollars, and that is roughly the gross that Dallas pulls in during that weekend. In short they have been ripping off both Universities and primarily Oklahomans due to the fact that money spent in Dallas on the second weekend of October goes to the economy of Texas and not the economy of Oklahoma.

In short they owe us. I don't want to see it become a home and home, but I don't want to make it sound like Dallas is doing us a favor either.

SleestakSooner
5/5/2006, 06:40 AM
Do we need to send out the Oklahoma National Guard again? We are not another suburb of Dallas no matter what they might think!

tbl
5/5/2006, 07:21 AM
Texas AD and OU AD: "City of Dallas.. Mayor Idiot Yainch of Dallas... we just granted you a stay of execution. GET YOUR SHEYITE TOGETHER NOW! Get the bonds passed. Put the money in the stadium.. NOW.. or after 2010, we WILL be history."

Mayor Yainch: "I wonder if I can get a no smoking ordinance passed for the entire fairgrounds now. I wonder if I can get another homeless shelter built at Fair Park."

Five more years of the greatest tradition in college football. (Well, .. maybe second behind the Army-Navy game).

Sorry dude, but it's not Laura Miller that is the problem. It's the worst city council in the United States behind her. I'm not a supporter of hers, but there's no doubt where the main problem lies. If they had a strong mayor form of government when this came up with Jerry, she would have made it happen.

I still say it would be good to go to Arlington (as opposed to home/home). You lose the fair scene, but you at least get to keep the dynamic inside the stadium.

Norhtwah
5/5/2006, 07:47 AM

That would fall under TMI but I get your drift...

Awesome news!!!

TheUnnamedSooner
5/5/2006, 07:54 AM
I sat in the added on end-zone bleachers last year, and they were a lot more comfortable than the original seats in the stadium

mrowl
5/5/2006, 08:05 AM
Damn you Laura Miller. If I could vote your *** out of office, I would.

Can we please get this, the AAC, the Fair, the Cotton Bowl, moved to Ft. Worth? PLEASE!???

OUstudent4life
5/5/2006, 08:15 AM
How dumb can Miller/the council be, really?

Let's see...make a couple of improvements (~$50 million, one time cost), or lose >$50 million every couple of years once the game is gone.

It's not like other teams are going to play there if OU and Tx get out, and they don't make any improvements...and then they'll lose the actualy Cotton Bowl game to Jerryworld, too.

BoomerJack
5/5/2006, 08:20 AM
Kudos to Joe C. and Dodds for coming together on this for an extra two years at least. I do wonder if a commitment through 2010 is gonna be enough to persuade voters in a bond referendum that it's a long enough term. I've maintained that the electorate would want a commitment from UT & OU to play in the Cotton Bowl for about 10 years beyond the '06 season before approving expenditures at the $50 million level or above to upgrade the stadium. If I were a voter there I know I would.

But it is step in the right direction. It gives the citizens and boosters in Dallas at least one extra election cycle to decide how much $$$$ they want to put into the project or if they want to do anything further at all.

spaceman
5/5/2006, 09:41 AM
Move it over to Jerry's place and forget about that rat hole. The Cotton Bowl will follow and become a major bowl in the BCS rotation. The tax payers of Dallas would be stupid to vote for a bond issue that would raise taxes for a venue that needs to be completely demolished and relocated to a safer area of town.

TexasLidig8r
5/5/2006, 09:47 AM
Sorry dude, but it's not Laura Miller that is the problem. It's the worst city council in the United States behind her. I'm not a supporter of hers, but there's no doubt where the main problem lies. If they had a strong mayor form of government when this came up with Jerry, she would have made it happen.

I still say it would be good to go to Arlington (as opposed to home/home). You lose the fair scene, but you at least get to keep the dynamic inside the stadium.

It's a combination. The 14/1 City Council conglomeration leads to "ward politics" where each individual councilperson is only concerned with their own district. Since Dallas is so incredibly racially split.. whites in the north, blacks in the south, hispanics in the west... the ward politics lead to divisivnous.

Laura Miller doesn't have the ability to bring all factions together. She is elected primarily due to overwhelming support by the women vote and pockets of strong support in the northern parts of town.. but.. she is not respected at all in the corporate community. She opposed the AAC... she opposed Jerry's World at the Cotton Bowl... She opposed tax breaks to a Dallas businessman who wanted to build a new tower downtown. The strong mayor referendum, which was in actuality, a referendum on her, failed.. NOT because it was a bad idea but because the people in Dallas cringed when we thought of Miller with real power.

The good thing in this.. if Pete Schenkel is involved, the odds of getting something done dramatically increases. Schenkel used to own Schepp's Dairy, until it was sold to a Swiss concern.. has a reputation of being an honest, straight up businessman and carries a big stick in the Dallas corporate community.

mrowl
5/5/2006, 10:42 AM
BTW, FYI, Laura Miller will here be known as "The Sea-Hag"

Minnesotahorn1
5/5/2006, 04:03 PM
I'm thrilled about this. Even just 2/3 additional years of the greatest sporting event in the world has me excited.

mrowl
5/12/2006, 08:42 AM
Cotton Bowl Bond

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/051206dnmetcottonbowl.222252f1.html

The Cotton Bowl's future appears headed into the hands of Dallas voters.

Dallas City Manager Mary Suhm will include $30 million in Cotton Bowl improvements within her 2006 bond program proposal, according to a document circulated among Park and Recreation Board members Thursday.

And interviews this week with City Council members indicate most of them support spending that much to renovate the 76-year-old stadium – especially after the University of Texas and University of Oklahoma agreed last week to continue their annual football showdown at the Cotton Bowl through at least 2010.

Ms. Suhm plans to release complete details of her bond proposal today or Saturday.

"The Cotton Bowl is to Dallas what the Rose Bowl is to Southern California," said council member Leo Chaney, whose district includes Fair Park, where the stadium stands. "What would Dallas be without the Cotton Bowl?"

Mr. Chaney, Mayor Pro Tem Don Hill, Deputy Mayor Pro Tem Elba Garcia and council members Pauline Medrano, Maxine Thornton-Reese, Gary Griffith, Bill Blaydes, Linda Koop and Ron Natinsky each said they support including the $30 million in renovations in the bond program.

"We'll get practically a brand-new stadium for a lot less than it would cost to build a brand-new stadium," Mr. Natinsky said. "We need to move forward on it. We'll have a facility that we can be proud of."

Mayor Laura Miller said she also supports the expenditure, saying that the improvements will help the city increase usage of the facility, particularly during the State Fair of Texas.

"I am greatly encouraged about our current prospects, thanks to the TX-OU commitment, for getting four other universities to play football the other two available weekends during the State Fair," she said in an e-mail. "That has always been our goal."

Council member Steve Salazar said he would support including the $30 million if the city commissions a study to update Fair Park's master plan. Council member Angela Hunt said she supports stadium renovations but wants more information before backing a specific dollar amount.

Council member Mitchell Rasansky said he needs to research the issue more before deciding whether to back the proposed bond item.

"You know, $30 million for a few games is a lot of money," he said. "Texas-OU is a great tradition. The other games are great traditions. We have to decide how much is a tradition worth?"

In addition to the Texas-OU game, a yearly tradition at Fair Park since 1929, the Cotton Bowl hosts the annual Prairie View A&M-Grambling game and the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic.

City officials are courting several other college football programs to play an annual game during the State Fair.

As proposed in December, nearly $50 million in overall stadium improvements would include replacement of the Cotton Bowl's current seats and installation of new restrooms, concession areas, lighting, utilities and sound systems. New media and VIP facilities, as well as a new scoreboard, are also planned.

Seating capacity would increase from 76,000 to 92,107.

A sale of stadium-naming rights would pay for most or all of the first of two project phases, the funding of which the State Fair of Texas would front, according to the plan released in December. The first phase is estimated to cost $19 million.

Under a less preferred option to pay for the first phase, the city would waive the State Fair's annual rent payment, freeing that money up for improvements. Under that option, the State Fair would also spend an additional $1.2 million annually on the renovations.

Now, State Fair vice chairman Pete Schenkel said Thursday, it's a matter of determining which upgrades to make during the first phase and which to make during the bond-funded second phase.

"We got a deal with ... [Texas] and OU," Mr. Schenkel said, "and now it's left up to us to show we'll get the stadium in decent shape."

Did anyone else notice that Dallas has already lowered the money to $30M from $50M??? idiots.

OUstudent4life
5/12/2006, 09:55 AM
I think that happened when they decided to get ~$19 million for naming rights...I thought the $50 million number was tossed around initially without a change in the name.

colleyvillesooner
5/12/2006, 11:04 AM
Laura Miller is a ****ing idiot:

From a ch11 news article when the deal was announced:

Herr Scholz
5/12/2006, 01:26 PM
Keep screwing around, Laura, and see what happens in 5 years. This is Dallas' last reprieve at keeping this game. You'd think they'd want to go ahead and fix it up.

colleyvillesooner
5/12/2006, 01:28 PM
I hope the bond passes, they make all the upgrades, and then the schools say, "nah, we're going to Jerry World. K? thanks, bye."

GDC
5/18/2006, 05:53 PM
Sports FYI: OU-Texas likely won't move
By Staff and Wire Reports
5/18/2006

FOOTBALL

OU-Texas likely won't move: Texas-Oklahoma, traditionally an afternoon game at the Cotton Bowl, could be shifted to a 7 p.m. kickoff, according to the ABC schedule unveiled Tuesday. Oct. 7 has been designated a day when a Big 12, ACC or Big East game could be selected for prime time. But State Fair of Texas president Errol McKoy, according to a Dallas Morning News report, said he has already discussed this possibility with Oklahoma officials, and it's doubtful the Red River Rivalry would be played at night. Big 12 associate commissioner Tim Allen, who deals with the networks when determining who plays on TV, said ABC already had indicated an interest in moving Texas-OU to prime time. However, that is unlikely to happen..

Jason White's Third Knee
5/18/2006, 09:53 PM
The Cotton Bowl does suck... So does Texas Stadium for that matter, but don't ya think that hosebag will be voted out by then?

I'd really like to see the Cotton Bowl try to keep... sorry, regain it's elite bowl status. The stadium has had it. It sorely needs to be upgraded. It should house the fifth BCS game, but Dallas didn't make the move. That twat.