PDA

View Full Version : Kinda early, but the first tournament bracket is out!

Collier11
5/4/2006, 04:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

11 seed, that means he is expecting OU to be somewhere around 18-13 or something like that, whatya think

SoonerShark
5/4/2006, 04:30 PM
18-13 and we will be NIT bound.

Collier11
5/4/2006, 04:30 PM
an 11 seed is pretty much the last at-large to get in. what record would you expect if we were a 11 seed?

LSUdeek
5/4/2006, 04:36 PM
i guess they are going to hand the 1 seeds to tOSU and florida based on oden and conley and all of the UF sophomores coming back. i guess i'm fine with that but UNC and Kansas have no business at that spot. self hasn't proved he can win a game in the tournament yet. unc is still too young yet. look for BC to get that #1 seed.

skycat
5/4/2006, 05:03 PM
That's already like the third or fourth one he's put together for next season.

That guy just can't quit.

Newbomb Turk
5/4/2006, 07:04 PM
based on what we have coming back, I think he is on drugs.

oumartin
5/4/2006, 10:04 PM
#4 seed baby, and maybe this time we won't get axed by manhattan

SoonerShark
5/4/2006, 10:58 PM
an 11 seed is pretty much the last at-large to get in. what record would you expect if we were a 11 seed?

Generally, at least 20 wins is a minimum for a Big 12 team to get into the NCAA. Unless we have players step up big, with our depth as things stand today, we should lose to OSU twice, KU, UT twice, A&M twice, Baylor once, Tech once, and to either KSU or ISU on the road in the Big 12, which is 6-10 in conference. We might beat OSU or UT in Norman with a big effort from a short bench, but A&M was much better than we were the last three weeks of the season and we will not get up for them in Norman and Baylor is improving and do a TCU on us in Waco. We did get into the NCAAs with only 17 and 19 wins under Samson in 96 and 97 with 8-6 and 9-7 conference records. An 8-8 record in 2004 got us an NIT bid. With the mid-majors doing so well it keeps out all but 4-5 Big 12 teams. Next year UT, OSU, KU and A&M should be the cream of the crop. I hope I am wrong about our record, but 18 wins will not be enough next year.

CtheB
5/5/2006, 12:39 PM
Reminder there was a similar poll done at the same time last year, by cbs sportsline, that had us as the preseason #1.

Kelvin or not, next year's team was going to struggle. Think 2003-2004.

Soonerwolf
5/5/2006, 12:53 PM
Reminder there was a similar poll done at the same time last year, by cbs sportsline, that had us as the preseason #1.

If coach Capel can land Hall and an experienced point guard, OU could be competitive in the Big XII and not a cellar dweller.

CtheB
5/5/2006, 01:01 PM
If coach Capel can land Hall and an experienced point guard, OU could be competitive in the Big XII and not a cellar dweller.

I hope you are correct.

King Crimson
5/5/2006, 01:13 PM
Lunardi is not only the worst of the bracketologists.....he's a typical ESPN haircut buffoon.

at least other hoops writers (Seth Davis, for instance--who i think is pretty weak) acknowledge that they use information from other "bracketology"/rpi sites to project the bracket. Lunardi acts like he reads the entrails of slain sheep at Delphi. plus, his bracket is usually the dumbest throughout the season, as i alluded to earlier. picking the teams *in the tournament* is relatively easy once the conference tournaments are winding down and even if mighty bracketologist whiffs on the teams on the bubble his % still looks pretty good....what is harder to do is pick within 1 seed of actual seed.

Soonerwolf
5/5/2006, 01:18 PM
I hope you are correct.

I hope so too. We should give him a chance to shine and he may turn out to be the Bob Stoops of college basketball.

The LNC was a feared place at one time - Sampson demysitified (hope its a real word) Sooner Magic on the hardwood just as Blake did it on the football field.

Coach Capel is in the eye of a hurricane not of his doing, yet he remains poised and has already begun to steer the OU b-ball program in the right direction. Evidence of this is his first signing - a top in-state talent.

The Sooners will be back on top !!!!! GO OU

King Crimson
5/5/2006, 01:20 PM

though i agree that a reasonable goal for this team would be an NIT homegame or .500 in conference (would be a feat in an improved conference)...to be fair the Greg Doyel article (moron) that had OU as pre-season #1 was written before Lavender and McKenzie t-ferred....so, in theory we would have had experience at the point, a 3 point threat, and somewhat seasoned guard play overall.