PDA

View Full Version : New article on "who can topple the whorns"

tbl
5/4/2006, 11:49 AM
Who can hook the Hook 'em , and how?

By Tom Dienhart - SportingNews

It's springtime. Do you feel the love? New Colorado coach Dan Hawkins sure did. Boulder's new Zen Master spread "Hawk love" around spring practice. Offensive linemen caught punts. Players chipped golf balls and goofed around in the snow. It wasn't all fun and games, though. Hey, Hawkins wants to win.

But spring practice has sprung and gone. Fat players got yelled at, early arriving freshmen got scared to death, and BMOCs got their letter jackets dry-cleaned. All that done, some of the nation's top teams still have to-do lists to tackle if they want to topple Texas from the title throne.

Florida. Champion Chris Leak. Hug him. Love him. Praise him. Pat him on the rear end -- every day, if needed. It's all about avoiding a quarterback controversy. Tim Tebow arrived for spring drills, and he looked damn good. But Leak and coach Urban Meyer are saying all the right things. Tebow will play, but Leak is the starter. Still, the Gators may not be able to fulfill big expectations with a quarterback house divided.

Michigan. Call Richard Simmons. Yeah, he's annoying, but he knows how to keep the pounds off. Lloyd Carr spent too much time in the offseason slimming down his super-sized Wolverines to see them morph back into marshmallows. The improved stamina and explosiveness shown in the spring -- especially by running back Kevin Grady and the offensive line -- could translate into big things this fall.

Ohio State. Go to the movies. Not one of those typical summer blockbusters. We're talking about cut-ups of the 2005 Buckeyes defense. The nine new projected starters made strides this spring, but more can be done. The linebackers and defensive backs are all new, and they must hit the film room and find a way to emulate their highly successful predecessors.

Oklahoma. Have quarterback Rhett Bomar feel up center Jon Cooper. Bomar started getting more comfortable with his hands under center in the spring after mostly working from the shotgun last year. The conventional exchange will allow running back Adrian Peterson to line up deeper in the I. He likes that. And what's good for Peterson is good for the Sooners.

Tennessee. Have Erik Ainge listen to new coordinator David Cutcliffe. If Cutcliffe tells Ainge to give Smokey a bath because that's what Peyton Manning did, Ainge needs to ask: Pert or Head & Shoulders? Ainge is the key to the Vols' rebounding from their 2005 funk. He started fixing himself in the spring by working on mechanics, but he must continue to improve.

Southern California. Check the library and get the freshmen on campus. Reggie Bush? Gone. LenDale White? Gone. Heir apparent Hershel Dennis? Suffered a season-ending knee injury in the spring. All that leaves is a heap of questions. Chauncey Washington and Michael Coleman are possibilities, but neither took part in spring drills. It won't really be 250-pound Ryan Powdrell, will it? That could leave an incoming freshman -- C.J. Gable, Stafon Johnson and Emmanuel Moody are possibilities -- carrying the load this fall.

GottaHavePride
5/4/2006, 12:17 PM
He amazingly failed to mention the lack of Vince Young in austin.

Luthor
5/4/2006, 02:42 PM
You can believe that everybody in Austin knows that Vince doesn't live here anymore. However, as a Texas fan I can tell you that the main reason for my optimism is in the fact that every one of the traditional powers will start the o6 season with serious holes to fill. Nobody is rock solid on both sides of the ball with the possible exception of VT and their powder puff schedule should exclude them from any serious consideration.

TOSU is starting over on D, you guys have an OL to build, we haven't decided who the QB is, USC could be banned for life for playing Reggie ball, PSU graduated almost the whole squad, the domers D will be at least as bad in 06 was in 05 and the list goes on. Oh yes, and Lester is still at LSU. The glass isn't exactly brimming over for anybody. I could see maybe 5 or 6 teams knotted up at the end with 1 loss each. I predict that 06 will see the BCS return to the quagmire that it historically has been and several teams will once again get the big wiener.

soonervegas
5/4/2006, 03:18 PM
Who can topple Texas? hmmmm.....I am going to say at least two of the following teams:

Ohio State
OU (Dallas)
at Nebraska
at Kansas State
at Texas Tech

Soonerman08
5/4/2006, 05:51 PM
Who can topple Texas? hmmmm.....I am going to say at least two of the following teams:

Ohio State
OU (Dallas)
at Nebraska
at Kansas State
at Texas Tech

Building an Offensive Line, well let's see here.....Jon Cooper, Robinson, Braxton, Quinn.....the 7 O-Linemen in the spring seemed to fair pretty well against a solid D-Line (one hole in the D-Line, where Dvoracek stood) and with Joe Jon at Tight End I am not that concerned. Seems like Patton knows how to rebuild/retool Offensive Lines. I think we'll be fine guys.

Jello Biafra
5/4/2006, 05:54 PM
Building an Offensive Line, well let's see here.....Jon Cooper, Robinson, Braxton, Quinn.....the 7 O-Linemen in the spring seemed to fair pretty well against a solid D-Line (one hole in the D-Line, where Dvoracek stood) and with Joe Jon at Tight End I am not that concerned. Seems like Patton knows how to rebuild/retool Offensive Lines. I think we'll be fine guys.

i was just about to say this.....

you texas choad chokers keep telling yourselves we have an oline to rebuild. everyone of the starters this year played significant time last year so.......

boomrsoonr
5/4/2006, 09:11 PM
He amazingly failed to mention the lack of Vince Young in austin.

They probably see VY as I do. He's not all that. While he was the whole team last year, remember, the year before we held him/them scoreless.

tbl
5/5/2006, 07:10 AM
That's true, but you can't deny that he definitely came into his own last year. I don't think he'll be lighting it up in the NFL, but he was definitely a force to be reckoned with in the college game... :shudder: