PDA

View Full Version : Original star wars to be released on DVD

Norm In Norman
5/4/2006, 08:59 AM
http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

Ok - now I'm ****ed. I bought the "new" old star wars movies like a sucker and now I'll have to re-buy the old ones which will have the new versions packaged with them too? I CAN'T GIVE LUCAS ANY MORE MONEY!

Taxman71
5/4/2006, 09:00 AM
I have the old ones on a 3-pack case in VHS. Who's the idiot now?

Scott D
5/4/2006, 09:00 AM
it's ok Norm..it's not the 'Original' Star Wars it's the Greedo shot first bastardized one ;)

Scott D
5/4/2006, 09:01 AM

But do you have all 3 versions? :D

colleyvillesooner
5/4/2006, 09:10 AM
it's ok Norm..it's not the 'Original' Star Wars it's the Greedo shot first bastardized one ;)

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

Taxman71
5/4/2006, 09:11 AM
But do you have all 3 versions? :D
No, just the enhanced version with Jabba the Hut walking around with Han Solo.

I think I will just wait and buy all 6 on HD-DVD in 10 years.

Scott D
5/4/2006, 09:11 AM
wtf...they scared to release the THX version? :D

Norm In Norman
5/4/2006, 09:14 AM
I have the original trilogy in fullscreen on VHS. I got it the day it came out.
I have the "new" original trilogy in widescreen on VHS. I got it the day it came out.
I have the "new" "new" original trilogy on DVD. I got it the day it came out.

So right now I have 3 different versions of the original trilogy (all 3 are different) AND a copy of each of the new movies (epsisode 1-3). I've got to start selling this crap off. Does anyone even own a VCR anymore?

yermom
5/4/2006, 09:18 AM
wtf...they scared to release the THX version? :D

weird that he didn't do the THX version... those are probably coming later ;)

but i'm pumped to get the theatrical version.

i guess us real hardcore geeks bitched enough :D

Norm In Norman
5/4/2006, 09:32 AM
Bitched enough to pay them more money.

sooneron
5/4/2006, 09:35 AM
I have the original three on Laser disc, who's the suckah now???

yermom
5/4/2006, 09:45 AM

yeah, it sucks, but it's freaking STAR WARS ;)

i already have 2 copies of the DVD's, what's one more...

Pricetag
5/4/2006, 11:09 AM
I'll be glad to pay. That way I won't have to go digging around for VHS tapes when my boy gets old enough to appreciate Star Wars. No way was I going to introduce him to the bastardized versions.

Hamhock
5/4/2006, 11:11 AM
I've never seen a single star wars movie. evar.

colleyvillesooner
5/4/2006, 11:27 AM
:eek:

JohnnyMack
5/4/2006, 11:29 AM

You're not only dead to me, you never even existed.

yermom
5/4/2006, 11:30 AM
you'd really have to go out of your way for something like that to happen ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/4/2006, 11:30 AM
You shouldn't be doing AD's homework if you haven't watched Star Wars...just saying

yermom
5/4/2006, 11:31 AM
and i thought not seeing Office Space or Clerks was bad...

Scott D
5/4/2006, 11:34 AM
I have the original three on Laser disc, who's the suckah now???

some guy with them on Beta is laughing at you :D

skycat
5/4/2006, 11:36 AM
I actually like most of what was done to the special editions. I don't even mind Hayden being in ROTJ. I do wish I could splice the old Greedo scence in, and splice the Jedi Rocks dealio out.

Of course, I'll end up buying these though. I'm not entirely sure if that means I'll have 4 or 5 versions of the movies lying around my house. I've got the vhs stuff packed up somewhere.

PhxSooner
5/4/2006, 11:41 AM
I think we have two VHS versions, and maybe two DVD? I'm ready for the real "originals", though. Anytime we watch the new versions, I mumble to myself when new scenes/characters appear. I also mumble about having so many copies of these things, but my husband chooses to have selective hearing at that point.

SoonerInKCMO
5/4/2006, 12:20 PM

I saw the first one in the theater and haven't bothered with any of the rest. I rented the first one when the first of the new ones came out to see if I had missed anything the first time and if I should go see the new ones - made it halfway through before turning it off and taking it back to Blockbuster.

Pricetag
5/4/2006, 12:25 PM
I actually like most of what was done to the special editions. I don't even mind Hayden being in ROTJ. I do wish I could splice the old Greedo scence in, and splice the Jedi Rocks dealio out.

Of course, I'll end up buying these though. I'm not entirely sure if that means I'll have 4 or 5 versions of the movies lying around my house. I've got the vhs stuff packed up somewhere.
Most of the strictly eye candy stuff was fine with me. The stuff with the landspeeder, the ships, etc., was an improvement.

Anything done to retro fit the original trilogy with the new one was unacceptable, though. Lucas should have worked with the framework that he had already set up, but he didn't have the discipline to do that. Going back and changing the originals just added insult to injury. I had such a problem with the whole Christensen in ROTJ thing that I held out as long as I could before I bought them.

Vaevictis
5/4/2006, 12:33 PM
I didn't mind the "cleaning" up of stuff -- like the land speeder special effects in Episode I.

I did *not* like any of the scene additions or any character changes. The "Greedo shot first" sh*t ****ed me off something fierce. Han Solo is *supposed* to be morally questionable. And there's No Goddamn Way Greedo misses Solo with the blaster at that range if Han didn't shoot first.

Pricetag
5/4/2006, 12:56 PM
The "Greedo shot first" sh*t ****ed me off something fierce. Han Solo is *supposed* to be morally questionable.
That's beside the fact that it is not morally questionable to shoot first when someone has a gun on you and tells you in so many words that they're going to kill you.

TexasLidig8r
5/4/2006, 01:13 PM
Unlicensed laser blasters used by unscrupulous, alien bounty hunters don't kill people.

People.. kill People.

Hamhock
5/4/2006, 01:29 PM
Does Star Wars = Star Trek?

I mean, I know they're not the same, but do they have the same following?

I have seen one Star Trek episode, but I was in college and experimenting.

bri
5/4/2006, 01:33 PM
Meanwhile...gah. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060504/ap_en_ot/people_george_lucas_2)

Fugue
5/4/2006, 01:40 PM
His own Stormtrooper? I'm just glad that with all of his success, GL has kept his ego in check. :texan:

bri
5/4/2006, 01:42 PM
Aren't you a little fat for a Stormtrooper?

:D

Fugue
5/4/2006, 01:45 PM
Aren't you a little fat for a Stormtrooper?

I'd spek if my spekker worked..

critical_phil
5/4/2006, 01:50 PM

:O

JohnnyMack
5/4/2006, 01:53 PM
I didn't mind the "cleaning" up of stuff -- like the land speeder special effects in Episode I.

I did *not* like any of the scene additions or any character changes. The "Greedo shot first" sh*t ****ed me off something fierce. Han Solo is *supposed* to be morally questionable. And there's No Goddamn Way Greedo misses Solo with the blaster at that range if Han didn't shoot first.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A_Hunter's_Fate:_Greedo's_Tale

For all of us REAL dorks.

Scott D
5/4/2006, 02:11 PM
Lucas thought it was a "fun" idea, said Lucasfilm spokeswoman Lynne Hale.

"He laughed because he never imagined he'd be a Storm Trooper," she said.

Hasbro clearly goofed...he should have been the Emperor Palpatine action figure.

Pricetag
5/4/2006, 02:34 PM
Does Star Wars = Star Trek?

I mean, I know they're not the same, but do they have the same following?

I have seen one Star Trek episode, but I was in college and experimenting.
Trek is okay, but can't hold Wars' jock, and it's been established on this very board that an Imperial Star Destroyer would house the Enterprise.

skycat
5/4/2006, 02:46 PM
Trek is okay, but can't hold Wars' jock, and it's been established on this very board that an Imperial Star Destroyer would house the Enterprise.

Word.

skycat
5/4/2006, 02:47 PM
And I just want to reiterate, that while I do defend much of the SE stuff, every time I see Greedo shoot first, a little piece of me dies.

Fugue
5/4/2006, 02:47 PM
Hasbro clearly goofed...he should have been the Emperor Palpatine action figure.

or that trash monster for screwing up the last 3 movies. :texan:

dolemitesooner
5/4/2006, 03:10 PM
yeah, it sucks, but it's freaking STAR WARS ;)

i already have 2 copies of the DVD's, what's one more...
Hey yermom want to go to hastings?

dolemitesooner
5/4/2006, 03:11 PM
I will buy these

crawfish
5/4/2006, 03:36 PM
*sigh*.

The evil Lucas empire continues to drain our wallets.

Yes, I will probably buy it. :O

bri
5/4/2006, 07:02 PM

What, just so he could re-redo the entire series to make the action figure work? No thanks...

Norm In Norman
5/17/2006, 02:26 PM
http://www.rockwoodcomic.com/toons/06-0505.GIF