PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Tom Coburn

OUGreg723
5/3/2006, 06:33 PM
I'm no Republican, but this guy is suprising me. He's got some big time integrity. Even though he went to Poke State, he's a really good man and a good senator. We should be proud to have him representing Oklahoma.

Some of his veiws might be radical, but he sure is sticking it to the man with this Pork Barrell crap. He's got balls, and is focusing on the issues that are right for this country.

What are your thoughts??

Oh yeah, he went to OU also to become a Doctor.:D

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/3/2006, 06:40 PM
If he doesn't quit this stuff, I may be forced to vote for him!!

oumartin
5/3/2006, 06:44 PM
dude will never last with rational thinking!

picasso
5/3/2006, 07:23 PM
I remember when he was first elected in the 90's he made some sort of a statement about changing things in DC. we said yeah yeah you'll just step in line and follow orders like all of the other idiots there.:D

I'll never forget running into him and Largent one time at the Tulsa airport before a flight out to DC. they must have been on break because Tom had a nappy Grizzly Adams beard.

OUGreg723
5/3/2006, 07:26 PM
I see him all the time down at the capital, as I am an intern for a senator from Arizona.

Other than his (in my personal opinion) outrageous stances on abortion and gay rights.(which he couldnt do anything about anyway) The man does nothing but make the government better and take the 'tools' down.

The most un-corrupted man in Washington.

soonerscuba
5/3/2006, 07:32 PM

Uh, that honor belongs to Ted Kennedy, thank you. ;)

OUGreg723
5/3/2006, 07:33 PM
Uh, that honor belongs to Ted Kennedy, thank you. ;)

:D

:twinkies:

picasso
5/3/2006, 07:37 PM
I see him all the time down at the capital, as I am an intern for a senator from Arizona.

Other than his (in my personal opinion) outrageous stances on abortion and gay rights.(which he couldnt do anything about anyway) The man does nothing but make the government better and take the 'tools' down.

my bro and I talked to them a long time in the terminal in Tulsa. we were going to visit my sister in Maryland and tour DC as per usual. both Largent and Coburn told us to come by their offices. which we never did. :(

OUHOMER
5/3/2006, 07:41 PM
I would vote for him to be president

AlbqSooner
5/3/2006, 07:46 PM
I grew up with the Senator. We ran around together from 7th grade through high school graduation. His integrity is not something newfound. He has always been a man of his word.

When he was elected to congress he campaigned on term limits - self imposed. He stuck to his word and refused to run again after two terms.

Read his book and you will understand a lot more about his battle against Pork Barrel politics as usual. It is an issue about which he is passionate and it was used against him in his recent Senate campaign. Seems he didn't bring enough pork to Oklahoma to satisfy some folks.

As for his stances on abortion and gay rights, he and I do not agree. However, I respect that his opinions are what they are and he will tell you right up front that those are his positions. He will do so without checking the direction of the political winds.

walkoffsooner
5/3/2006, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=OUGreg723]I see him all the time down at the capital, as I am an intern for a senator from Arizona.

The most un-corrupted man in Washingtond
Does that mean he is somewhat corrupt?

BigRedJed
5/3/2006, 08:09 PM
...When he was elected to congress he campaigned on term limits - self imposed. He stuck to his word and refused to run again after two terms...
That's like unilateral disarmament. While I agree with term limits in concept, imposing them on a member of your state's congressional delegation (yourself) without requiring them of other states, while it might seem noble, only serves to take away your (small, underrepresented) state's clout in congress. It totally ignores the way congress works, and it best serves every state OTHER than the one you were elected to represent.

BigRedJed
5/3/2006, 08:11 PM
And by "the way congress works," I wasn't defending it, only saying that's the way it is. Work on changing the system, yes. Neuter your own state to prove a point and feed your own ego, no.

OUGreg723
5/3/2006, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=OUGreg723]I see him all the time down at the capital, as I am an intern for a senator from Arizona.

The most un-corrupted man in Washingtond
Does that mean he is somewhat corrupt?

Well, I dont think he is a corrupt man at all. When people have great power, corruption is hard to brush off after a while, even if your an honest man.

But to go back to what I was saying, I will refrase that and say he is probably one of the few politicians who is not corrupt in Washington.

walkoffsooner
5/3/2006, 09:43 PM
If Greg says Mr. Coburn is not corrupt he has my vote. Thanks for the insight