PDA

View Full Version : Article on Dusty D from the Bears website

Collier11
5/3/2006, 02:45 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15321

Big Red Ron
5/3/2006, 07:37 PM
LAKE FOREST, Ill. - A blue-collar tough guy who possesses tenacity, toughness and intensity, defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek seemingly was born to play football in Chicago. "I love the game of football and I play with passion, said the Bears' third-round draft pick from Oklahoma. "From the time the ball is snapped, I go 100 miles per hour and hustle my butt off. I play in practice like it is a game, and sometimes guys get mad at me."

Given what transpired during his college career, it's easy to understand why Dvoracek plays like every snap could be his last.

Kicked off the Oklahoma team in 2004 due to alcohol-related offenses, the 6-3, 306-pounder eventually was reinstated in 2005 and named a team captain.
Dvoracek was granted an additional year of eligibility by the NCAA, but he was not permitted to rejoin the Sooners until he completed anger-management and alcohol-treatment programs. He complied with the requirements and has been a model citizen for the past 18 months.
"I had to grow up and take responsibility for my life," Dvoracek said. "Everything came full circle. I couldn't ask for a better situation. If you would have asked me a year and a half ago, I'd say it was a 50-50 chance I'd ever make it to (the NFL). That is what makes it sweeter."
After conducting an exhaustive background check which included speaking to those who have dealt closely with Dvoracek, the Bears are confident that his troubles are in the past.
"There were character issues," said general manager Jerry Angelo. "There were some bad decisions he made. (But) we looked into those extensively and we are real comfortable.
"I will stake my reputation personally on his character at this point. Obviously I have or else we wouldn't have taken him. We felt really good given where he is now in his life." In Dvoracek, the Bears landed a strong, physical and aggressive tackle who can collapse the pocket. One draft guide describes him as "tougher than nails" with "a thick, country-boy build."

An adept bull rusher, Dvoracek plays with great power and lower body explosion.

He lined up alongside Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris for three seasons at Oklahoma and likely will challenge Ian Scott and Alfonso Boone for playing time next to Harris in Chicago.
A two-way starter at Lake Dallas High School in Texas, Dvoracek also qualified for state as a power-lifter and competed in the shot put for the track team as a prep athlete.
Playing in 49 games with 27 starts in four-plus seasons at Oklahoma, Dvoracek registered 136 tackles, 44 tackles for loss and 16 sacks.
As a senior in 2005, he established career highs with 44 tackles, 18 tackles for loss and recorded the first interception of his collegiate career.
Angelo insisted that Dvoracek's selection had nothing to do with the uncertain status of third-year defensive tackle Tank Johnson, who is in the process of rehabbing from quad surgery.
"We're anticipating Tank to be back and going by our first game," Angelo said. "We didn't go into (the draft) thinking Tank might not be ready. If Tank weren't ready we still had Alfonso Boone, Tommie and Ian. We took him because we really like what he will bring to our defense. "There were three players on defense (in the draft) who had a special competitive nature and bring something intangibly to a defense that is very infectious and I felt Dusty was the last of those three on the board. We put a premium on that."

Big Red Ron
5/3/2006, 07:44 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/ICEMDEAIEJHF/Dusty2_inside5306.jpg

sooner94
5/3/2006, 07:51 PM
"...... who possesses tenacity, toughness and intensity"

You can't describe Dusty any better than that.

I can't wait to see Dusty on the field with Tommie Harris. Anyone running up the middle will against them will be feeling some pain.

Sooner_Havok
5/4/2006, 01:47 AM
I am going to miss that monster:( He was one of my favorite sooners to watch in recent history. Plus, what he did to Chrissy is one of my favorite sooner memories ever:)

Ike
5/4/2006, 02:18 AM
that was a great article. Now I have 2 reasons to try to score some Bears tickets this year. 3 if Bradley can stay healthy. 4 if Runnels can get some PT.

Its nice to see more Sooners following me up here to Chi-town :D

springs sooner
5/4/2006, 09:26 AM
Oh man my wife is going to ticked off when i HAVE to buy 2 more bears jerseys this year, She does not understand. former Sooner and current Bear, cant get any better than that