PDA

View Full Version : Dear KTOK headline writer people....nice work

Hatfield
5/3/2006, 02:18 PM
Attorney General Sues Pope:)

no not that pope, Tim Pope....but it is funnier when you think it is THE POPE.

story if you want it....even though the humor is in the headline
Wednesday, May 3, 2006 at 12:25pm

Former State Representative Tim Pope of Mustang has been sued by the state attorney general who is accusing him of violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act by making 20,000 unlawful phone calls in January.
By Jerry Bohnen
** The more than 20,000 prerecorded phone calls made by former State Representative Tim Pope of Mustang have landed him in trouble with Attorney General Drew Edmondson.
The Attorney General today filed a civil lawsuit in Oklahoma City federal court accusing Pope of violating the Telelphone Consumer Protection Act.* The suit claims Pope violated federal law governing the use of the prerecorded phone calls.
** The calls were made in January when Pope, acting as a political consulant, placed them to Oklahoma County residents.**The recorded phone message*accused County Commissioner Jim Roth of encouraging and pushing a homosexual agenda.* The message also referred to an upcoming speech to be given by Roth and it encouraged people to attend.*
** "Pope's script fails to comply with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act," said Edmondson in a press release issued by his office.* "We have reviewed a transcript of the Pope call and he does not identity any organization nor provide a telephone number.* This is a violation of federal law."
**Edmond states the Act requires thyat all prerecorded phone messages must identify the name and phone number of the business, individual or entity responsible for initiating the call.
**The attorney general says he is seeking a fine of $500 per violationg and a court order to permanently stop Pope from future violations of the Consumer Protection Act.* The lawsuit also seeks to force Pope to reimburse the state for the costs of the investigatoin and the lawsuit.
* Edmondson says at $500 per violation, the fine could total $10 million.* "Should we win this case at trial, we will ask for an appropriate fine."* He said in the press release his office would not ask for $10 million because he thinks it would be unreasonable and unnecessary.
** No comment yet from Pope.* His home phone answered with a recording.
At the time of the calls, Pope said he had done no wrongdoing and claimed there was no requirement for a disclaimer because the calls were not for a political candidate.

handcrafted
5/3/2006, 02:24 PM
I'd like to sue the Attorney General for abusing the court system. He's a bigger tool than Henry.

Hatfield
5/3/2006, 02:26 PM
which Henry....V? Personally I bet it is III

handcrafted
5/3/2006, 02:34 PM
which Henry....V? Personally I bet it is III

King Henry I of Oklahoma.