PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Earl Woods

colleyvillesooner
5/3/2006, 01:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2431912

Tiger Woods' father, Earl, died Wednesday, losing his battle with cancer.

AP Photo/Richard Drew
Tiger Woods called his father his best friend.
Earl Woods first was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1998, but the cancer returned in 2004 and spread to other parts of his body. He has not seen his son play since Woods won his Target World Challenge in December 2004 at Sherwood Country Club.

"My dad was my best friend and greatest role model, and I will miss him deeply," Tiger Woods said in a statement on his Web site. "I wouldn't be where I am today without him, and I'm honored to continue his legacy of sharing and caring."

He went to Augusta, Ga., for the Masters last year, but never made it to the course. Woods broke down in tears after winning his fourth green jacket in a playoff.

"My dad was my best friend and greatest role model, and I will miss him deeply."
Tiger Woods
"Every year that I've been lucky enough to win this tournament, my dad's been there to give me a big hug. And today, he wasn't there," Woods said. "I can't wait to get home and see him, and give him a big bear hug."

Earl Woods' health was said to be deteriorating over the holidays, and he was not strong enough to attend the grand opening Feb. 10 of the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif. Woods said he spoke to his father the night before the opening, and "he kept telling me how proud he was of what I was able to do, and proud of me for thinking of this. It's hard on all of us."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

colleyvillesooner
5/3/2006, 02:01 PM
Sad news. I can't imagine what it's like to lose a parent. It was very apparent how much Tigers dad meant to him.

Newbomb Turk
5/3/2006, 02:02 PM
Yep - you could tell Tiger was extremely close to his father. It will be interesting to see how this affects Tiger.

RIP Earl.

Mjcpr
5/3/2006, 02:09 PM
That's sad....from the news reports and Tiger's schedule change, it was pretty obvious this was imminent. Doesn't make it any easier though.

skycat
5/3/2006, 02:51 PM
Many of you probably know, but he was the first African-American to play baseball in the Big 7 conference.

RIP Mr. Woods

dolemitesooner
5/3/2006, 03:40 PM
Big 8 man. If it was not for this man Golf would not be the as popular as it is today. This really sucks. I wish I could have had onlt half of what tiger seemed to have with his father. I hope that this does not affect tiger's game. I hope he comes out guns ablazing in the next 3 majoirs and blows the feild away.

Thank you Earl Woods.

walkoffsooner
5/3/2006, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=dolemitesooner]Big 8 man. If it was not for this man Golf would not be the as popular as it is today. This really sucks. I wish I could have had onlt half of what tiger seemed to have with his father. I hope that this does not affect tiger's game. I hope he comes out guns ablazing in the next 3 majoirs and blows the feild away.

Thank you Earl Woods.
Same here, nice job Dolemite:)

skycat
5/3/2006, 03:50 PM
Big 8 man. .

Not that it matters, but the Big 8 wasn't the Big 8 until Oklahoma State joined in ...(pausing for Google) 1958.

StoopTroup
5/3/2006, 03:52 PM
Big 8 man. If it was not for this man Golf would not be the as popular as it is today. This really sucks. I wish I could have had onlt half of what tiger seemed to have with his father. I hope that this does not affect tiger's game. I hope he comes out guns ablazing in the next 3 majoirs and blows the feild away.

Thank you Earl Woods.
There are way to many correctly spelled words in this....

What have you done with Dolemite?

Is there a ransom?

sooneron
5/3/2006, 04:03 PM
That is sad to hear. I had to go to a wake last night of someone that I didn't know- family member of wife's coworker- It was heavy. I hope this doesn't affect Tiger. I love to rag on him, but he's worked hard and his Father is the reason he is where he is.

picasso
5/3/2006, 06:21 PM
I think Earl was often misunderstood by the press. He seemed pretty level headed to me. He took Tiger as far as he could on his own and let others help and take over as Eldrick got older.
I recall a recent statement Earl made about the Williams sisters of tennis. He said their dad should leave them alone now and let them get a real coach.

sooneron
5/3/2006, 06:58 PM
I think Earl was often misunderstood by the press. He seemed pretty level headed to me. He took Tiger as far as he could on his own and let others help and take over as Eldrick got older.
I recall a recent statement Earl made about the Williams sisters of tennis. He said their dad should leave them alone now and let them get a real coach.
Yeah, I never had a problem with Earl. He was a class act that always seemed to have self respect and and a good work ethic. Level headed and grounded.

5/3/2006, 08:35 PM
Peace, Earl. We hardly knew ye.