PDA

View Full Version : Where are some German settlements in Oklahoma?

TUSooner
5/3/2006, 11:31 AM
I know of one for sure - Bessie, just south of Clinton and north of Cordell, in Wa****a County. My Deutsches grandparents lived there and spoke German at home. Peace Lutheran Church (up on the hill alongside Hwy 183), had a German church service on Sundays as late as the 1960s. "Down town" there's a monument to a "big ol' German" named Ben Kiehn, a banker who gave his life protecting the citizens' savings in a gunfight with bank robbers (he killed one of 'em). The place was crawling with Scmidts and Ernsts and Lenaburgs and Schimmels and stuff when I was growing up. Too bad there aren't many more of them.

poke4christ
5/3/2006, 12:00 PM
Corn, OK. Out near Weatherford and right next to all the windmills. I'm not quite sure when it was settled, but I've got strong family roots their. Back before WWII it was named Korn (the german spelling). They changed it durring the war to show their support for the nation. It doesn't take too much searching in the town to find signs that still have the old spelling on it.

Zach

Fugue
5/3/2006, 12:07 PM
Corn, OK. Out near Weatherford and right next to all the windmills. I'm not quite sure when it was settled, but I've got strong family roots their. Back before WWII it was named Korn (the german spelling). They changed it durring the war to show their support for the nation. It doesn't take too much searching in the town to find signs that still have the old spelling on it.

Zach

I bet that place rawks. \m/

:texan:

TUSooner
5/3/2006, 12:12 PM

Zach
That's out by Bessie. The legend back in the day was that John Denver's grandmother lived in Corn. (Wasn't his real name something like Henry John Deutschedorf?)

poke4christ
5/3/2006, 12:21 PM
That's out by Bessie. The legend back in the day was that John Denver's grandmother lived in Corn. (Wasn't his real name something like Henry John Deutschedorf?)

Dude, John Denver worked on my grandfather's farm out there before he was famous. Don't know anything about his grandmother living there, but I know he was a farmhand for my grandpapy.

Zach

TUSooner
5/3/2006, 12:25 PM
Dude, John Denver worked on my grandfather's farm out there before he was famous. Don't know anything about his grandmother living there, but I know he was a farmhand for my grandpapy.

Zach
Neat-o. So there is some truth to the rumor, or at least to the Corn connection.

Russell Means, American Indian Movement director and fugitive from the Wounded Knee standoff, was arrested at the old Bessie School House. Must have been in the 70s or 80s.

Mjcpr
5/3/2006, 12:26 PM
We may never know. I think John Denver's fan died about 2 years ago.

poke4christ
5/3/2006, 12:28 PM

As long as there are tree-hugging hippies, there will be John Denver fans.

Zach

walkoffsooner
5/3/2006, 12:29 PM
Johns old house is still there or at least the locals say thats his house.Colony right down the road might be another settlement not for sure though.Alot of Dutch in that area.

poke4christ
5/3/2006, 12:39 PM
Just talked to my mom who grew up in Corn. His grandparents did live in Corn, and his real name was Deutschedorf. He worked on my grandpa's farm for a season or two when he was around 17. My mom said that she thinks his parents lived in Clinton and were with the military. Shortly after working on the farm, John went off and tried to make it in music. He then ended up on Carson. My mom said that everybody in town would call around and say "turn on Carson, John Deutschedorf is going to be on". I guess that's my celebrity connection LOL!!

Zach

JohnnyMack
5/3/2006, 12:42 PM

Why do you hate country boys?

Mjcpr
5/3/2006, 12:43 PM
Why do you hate country boys?

Just 'cuz. But I love cakes on the griddle.

JohnnyMack
5/3/2006, 12:53 PM

Obviously.

IB4OU2
5/3/2006, 12:55 PM

You and Vito......

5/3/2006, 01:03 PM
Shattuck

Berlin (BERlen)

Loyal

Wright