PDA

View Full Version : Texas Ranch House

IB4OU2
5/2/2006, 09:38 PM
Anybody watching this? It started Monday night on PBS...........

A family of 4 (The Cookes), plus 1 helper type girl and about 8 (including 1 real cook) cowboy types have to live on this 10,000 acre ranch in 1872 like conditions for 3 months.

This owner is a neutered, pu**y whipped, dickwad though and his wifes a
bi*tchand after 3 episode they have fired the Foreman, the cook plus one cowboy type has already left the ranch for personal reasons. They have to have 200 maverick cattle rounded up and herded to market by the end of the show.

PS- The daughters are not hawt either......but it sure as hell beat A.I.

Howzit
5/2/2006, 09:49 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE USE A SPOILER TAG!!!1

;)

Viking Kitten
5/2/2006, 09:52 PM
I saw the promos for it. PBS did one a couple years ago called Pioneer House or something that was supposed to be pretty good.

But it gave me the idea that PBS should totally team up with HBO to produce a series called "Frontier Cat House" where they operate a legal brothel in Nevada under 1880s conditions... No AC, hookers in petticoats who only bathe once a week, etc. Keep your history buffs and your pervs happy.

RATINGS BONANZA!!!

IB4OU2
5/2/2006, 09:54 PM
I saw the promos for it. PBS did one a couple years ago called Pioneer House or something that was supposed to be pretty good.

But it gave me the idea that PBS should totally team up with HBO to produce a series called "Frontier Cat House" where they operate a legal brothel in Nevada under 1880s conditions... No AC, hookers in petticoats who only bathe once a week, etc. Keep your history buffs and your pervs happy.

RATINGS BONANZA!!!

They moved it to HBO. It's now called "Deadwood". :D

and I love that show....:O

achiro
5/2/2006, 09:54 PM

RATINGS BONANZA!!!
AWESOME!!!
:D :D :D

critical_phil
5/2/2006, 11:43 PM

RATINGS BONANZA!!!

don't forget......

UNLIMITED USE OF THE WORD C*CKSUCKER!!!111!!!11!

Okla-homey
5/3/2006, 05:42 AM
I watched. Its "Colonial House Redux." They also have done one called "Frontier House." There was also a "Victorian House" shot in the UK by the Brit equivalent of ed TV. The basic premise of these shows is good and they do generally try to ensure the material culture of the era is accurately reproduced.

The problem comes in for me is the fact they cast people with "issues" and don't insist they leave their 2006 values, culture and social norms at the door.

Its just kinda stupid to watch some woman raise hell about sexist behavior by the men on the show or at having to cook or clean and take orders from a man only because she's a woman -- when she's doing it within the context of a flippin' historical era when that was the norm. Ditto sexual orientation discrimination beefs. Ditto patriarchy beefs.

IOW, pretty decent entertainment, but not particularly instructive. Its kinda "Survivor" in costumes and without the voting.

Next? I'd like to see 'Hood House -- an upper middle class family plopped down in an urban lower class neighborhood. Now that would be fun to watch.

5/3/2006, 08:56 AM
I also wonder just how "period" it can be with a couple of cameras going and a van parked behind the barn.

Yeah, I know... 'twould be difficult to shoot a tv show without cameras. Still, do the camera dudes wear ranch hand clothing? Do they get to boss the women folk around?

49r
5/3/2006, 10:17 AM
I watched a few episodes of World War II House once.

Desert Sapper
5/3/2006, 10:37 AM
I thought this thread was about 'the best little whorehouse in Texas'. Wasn't that place called the chicken ranch? My bad.

frankensooner
5/3/2006, 10:41 AM
very small spoiler....

Last night was like turn off your mike so we can fight in private...come on now, fight for the cameras!!!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/3/2006, 10:46 AM
The one they did called 1900s House was in London and set in 1904. My mom and aunt were making fun of the matriarch on the show because she was complaining about not having hot water for a bath, yet the house had some kind of hot water contraption that was used as a clothes washer. Hello, use that. They also complained about having to go outside to use the bathroom even though it had some kind of upscale outhouse that was attached to the house. In the 1940s and 50s in SE Oklahoma they didn't have anything so fancy.

IB4OU2
5/3/2006, 10:56 AM
Yea these guy's are eating Rawhide, mush and running out of food....yet there's several hundred cattle grazing around the ranch, many theyv'e branded or tailbobbed. I think I would be dining on the occasional ribeye.

49r
5/3/2006, 11:09 AM
The one they did called 1900s House was in London and set in 1904. My mom and aunt were making fun of the matriarch on the show because she was complaining about not having hot water for a bath, yet the house had some kind of hot water contraption that was used as a clothes washer. Hello, use that. They also complained about having to go outside to use the bathroom even though it had some kind of upscale outhouse that was attached to the house. In the 1940s and 50s in SE Oklahoma they didn't have anything so fancy.

There was a sequel...1940's house.

That's the one I saw. It "took place" during WWII in London.

http://www.shoppbs.org/sm-pbs-s-house-vhs--pi-1404974.html

Okla-homey
5/4/2006, 07:39 PM
It's also sort of like a cross between "Lonesome Dove" and "Office Space."

"Ummmm, guys. I'm going to need you to come into the ranch this weekend and brand some cattle. That would be greaaattt..."