PDA

View Full Version : You want pathetic???

OklahomaTuba
5/2/2006, 09:28 PM
Read on. 18-24 year olds!!!!

Among the findings:

• One-third of respondents couldn't pinpoint Louisiana on a map and 48 percent were unable to locate Mississippi.

• Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.

• Two-thirds didn't know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan.

• Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.

• While the outsourcing of jobs to India has been a major U.S. business story, 47 percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia.

• While Israeli-Palestinian strife has been in the news for the entire lives of the respondents, 75 percent were unable to locate
Israel on a map of the Middle East.

• Nearly three-quarters incorrectly named English as the most widely spoken native language.

• Six in 10 did not know the border between North and
South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world. Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico.

Joining in the effort to improve geographic knowledge will be the 4-H, American Federation of Teachers, Asia Society, Association of American Geographers, National Basketball Association, National Council of La Raza, National PTA, Smithsonian Institution and others.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060502/ap_on_re_us/where_s_louisiana_1

Hmm, interesting, the NEA isn't mentioned anywhere on here, but La Raza is!

:rolleyes:

Rogue
5/2/2006, 09:40 PM
Is our children learning? nm

SicEmBaylor
5/2/2006, 09:48 PM
1/3 people from Louisiana couldn't find Louisiana on a map.

OklahomaTuba
5/2/2006, 09:57 PM

Maybe that explains why they havn't gone back!

dolemitesooner
5/2/2006, 10:24 PM
i ALWAY HAD A LOT OF geographic knowledge

slickdawg
5/2/2006, 10:27 PM

You are giving them too much credit. :texan:

yermom
5/2/2006, 10:40 PM
****, someone didn't spend enough time playing Axis and Allies or Risk or something

olevetonahill
5/2/2006, 10:56 PM
Ya think thats sompun ? I cant find my azz with nevermind

soonerhubs
5/2/2006, 11:14 PM
I'd say they should use Google Earth, but that's making far too many assumptions about computer and internet knowledge.

Tailwind
5/2/2006, 11:20 PM
Big deal.

soonerscuba
5/2/2006, 11:24 PM
Learning another language is over-rated. Everybody speaks English, and if they don't they're really of no use anyway, from a business prospective.

GottaHavePride
5/3/2006, 01:45 AM
Disagree there. I think Mandarin Chinese is about to assplode as an important international business language. Plus, learning a second language develops a lot of mental skills that wouldn't otherwise get developed. Learning things makes you smarter.

Of course, I'm 26 and out of the age demographic of that survey. So HA!

silverwheels
5/3/2006, 02:31 AM
I hate my generation.

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2006, 03:20 AM
I hate my generation.

Yes as do I...as do I...
In fact, I'm not too fond of my parent's generation either. My grand-parents generation gets a pass since they saved the world and all, but for the most part I have to go back 3-4 generations to find one that I approve of.

chriscappel
5/3/2006, 04:09 AM
just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.

Hell i am with them there....why the hell should we have to cater to the illegal aliens coming here....those folks should be learning english!

Desert Sapper
5/3/2006, 04:57 AM
• Nearly three-quarters incorrectly named English as the most widely spoken native language.

I had to Wikipedia this one, although I guessed the two ahead of English before I did. The amusing thing is that 'native language' is sort of an irrelevant term. The vast majority of the world speaks some English, particularly the places that speak the two more widely spoken native languages (India and China).

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language)

TUSooner
5/3/2006, 07:48 AM
99% of Americans don't WANT to know where Louisiana is.

sanantoniosooner
5/3/2006, 07:52 AM
Hell i am with them there....why the hell should we have to cater to the illegal aliens coming here....those folks should be learning english!
communicating isn't just about catering.

I'd love to be able to speak other languages. I didn't understand why translation was so inexact until I took a semester of Spanish.

I think everyone ought to have to learn another language just for linguistic and cultural understanding. It shouldn't wait until High School though.

yermom
5/3/2006, 09:04 AM
it seems to expand the way your brain works or someting, kinda like learning music

i saw a study somewhere that people that spoke 2 or more languages are less likely to get Alzheimers too

SoonerInKCMO
5/3/2006, 09:09 AM
Trying to learn Italian didn't work out too well for me. The teacher was too hot for me to concentrate.

Seriously, though, you could've given the same quiz to 18-24 year-olds any time in the last 30 years at least and gotten very similar results.

Desert Sapper
5/3/2006, 09:11 AM
communicating isn't just about catering.

I'd love to be able to speak other languages. I didn't understand why translation was so inexact until I took a semester of Spanish.

I think everyone ought to have to learn another language just for linguistic and cultural understanding. It shouldn't wait until High School though.

You aren't trying to live in Mejico, either (well, not exactly, anyway). I'm pretty sure you would be expected to learn Espanol if you wanted to get anything done there. It should be the same here.