PDA

View Full Version : The big question...

Okla-homey
5/2/2006, 08:47 AM
If uSucc is ruled to have forfieted its games in '04/'05 due to playing ineligibles...what are the BCS implications? I understand there is no BCS contingency rule for what happens if the BCS champ is later ruled to have forfeited its victories. Do they fire up the computers again, or does the loser of the BCS championship game move up? Perhaps no declared champion that year?

Granted, it would be a BCS national championship with a ginormous asterisk if they gave it to us, but what do you guys think?

This excerpt from a Tulsa World piece today on the Trojan men's, dare I say it...loss of institutional control.

Bush could lose his Heisman Trophy and USC might even have to forfeit the national title it won with the resounding win over OU if Bush is ruled ineligible for the 2004 and 2005 seasons by either the NCAA or the Pac-10. Both groups have launched investigations into allegations that Bush's family accepted illegal extra benefits from people who wanted to represent their talented son.

critical_phil
5/2/2006, 08:55 AM
have SC forfeit the title: ok
*award it to OU*: not ok

IF the score had been 20-19 or something like that, you might be able to persuade me.

give it to the barners for all i care. they won't sniff another one for 50 more years anyway......

GreaterState
5/2/2006, 08:58 AM
If they follow NCAA precedent on this from other sports -- and there's no reason to think they'd do anything otherwise -- they'd just vacate the title, which would mean no champion that year.

If they decided instead to do something more like Miss America and crown a new champion, that would garner them even more bad press than they already have, a task previously thought to be totally impossible.

Sooner in Tampa
5/2/2006, 08:58 AM
No way in hell we rate anything from that game. If they take it away from SUC it should just be blank.

Okla-homey
5/2/2006, 09:02 AM
Fast forward to 05-06. The best part about this mess would have been had uSucc been able to beat the wHorns, the 47 straight would have still been safe AND Mack and his bevo-blowers would still have been denied their crystal football.

Ah, what might have been.:D

Sooner in Tampa
5/2/2006, 09:04 AM
If I were a betting man, I would bet on SUC getting away with this crap.

Okla-homey
5/2/2006, 09:05 AM
No way in hell we rate anything from that game. If they take it away from SUC it should just be blank.

I think that's where my heart is on this. I also think Auburn will go absolutely ballistic if uSucc loses the title over this.

Sooner in Tampa
5/2/2006, 09:09 AM
**** Auburn and Tuby the crybaby.

critical_phil
5/2/2006, 09:20 AM
**** Auburn and Tuby the crybaby.

as much as i hate auburn (sorry homey, Blue), they wouldn't have the right to whine if we'd nutted up and played the game.

can we delete this thread now. i'm getting really sick at my stomach.....

Sooner in Tampa
5/2/2006, 09:21 AM
I think that's where my heart is on this. I also think Auburn will go absolutely ballistic if uSucc loses the title over this.Peter is not worried. :rolleyes:

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2429471&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

"With the little bits I have, no. I'm not concerned about that one bit," Carroll told The Associated Press. "I'm more concerned with helping the process and making sure everything comes to the front.

Okla-homey
5/2/2006, 09:27 AM
Peter is not worried. :rolleyes:

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2429471&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

Thats very similar to the usual response from public figures upon receipt of a federal indictment..;)

"We're looking forward to working with the government prosecutor to clear our name. I'm confident after all the facts come out...blah,blah,blah,blah..."

Sooner95
5/2/2006, 09:46 AM
Should be blank, was pretty obvious we didn't belong that yr.

yermom
5/2/2006, 10:59 AM
i wouldn't go that far

we didn't show up for the game, but we belonged there for sure

JohnnyMack
5/2/2006, 11:05 AM
Did we lose the Orange Bowl that year? I think I've self-medicated myself enough to the point I have totally blacked it out of my memory.

Sooner95
5/2/2006, 03:51 PM
ok, let me rephrase, we don't belong being "penciled in" for any reason. Then again, with the BS..errr BCS is setup, I don't think you can pencil anyone in.

Read today that the Commisions of each COnf in BCS is looking at how to resolve such issues in the future.

GDC
5/2/2006, 03:53 PM
Get the Auburn and OU teams back together and replay the title game.

sooner94
5/2/2006, 04:01 PM
I think USC will walk away from these incidents without any major penalties, but the coaches and players will be kept on a tighter leash.

Now they will have to play by the same rules as everyone else.

soonercody
5/2/2006, 05:16 PM
I think USC will walk away from these incidents without any major penalties, but the coaches and players will be kept on a tighter leash.

Now they will have to play by the same rules as everyone else.

That, IMO, is the least likely scenario. SUC will be able to play by the same "rules" as ND as long as ND is getting great again. Except there's no special rule for SUC in the BCS. I actually like ND and their tradition, but that damn BCS rule chaffs my ***.

soonercody
5/2/2006, 05:23 PM
6 months ago we were hearing about a "3-Pete"; now we are seriously looking at a "No-peat". I don't normally enjoy sour grapes this much.

goingoneight
5/2/2006, 08:00 PM
Here's the way it figures...

I don't think OU desereved it, but if Leinart, Bush and Jarrett alll are found ineligible, what team did SUC really have that night? They still haven't said if anyone else has been in trouble at SUC either, so that's more points off.

The way it figure is if Leinart played ineligible, Bush played ineligible, and Jarrett played ineligible, SUC would have never even been there. Sooners, let's face it, they were a better team-- cheaters or not. It's over and done with. Not like we haven't been cheated before.

Truth be told, aggy probably would have played better that night than we did. We flat out stunk up that Orange Bowl. The team was only semi-pumped up to be there, having been spoiled by BCS-caliber seasons since 2000, they were only fired up to score a touchdown, maybe two. The third was only because they were good enough to sneak at least one more in...

CatfishSooner
5/2/2006, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't want the championship even if they gave it to us...which I doubt they will...

sooner94
5/2/2006, 10:52 PM
IMO no school gets preferential treatment like Notre Dame. ND is untouchable, no matter what they do.

But Miami, FSU (Free Shoes University- good one by Coach Superior), Tennessee, etc. have all been taken down a notch after having discipline issues, and have not been as successful since those issues.

USC will get nothing more than a slap on the wrist for the recent issues, but I see them dropping off a little now that the coaches will have to take some disciplinary actions and maybe kick some guys off the team.

AlbqSooner
5/2/2006, 11:57 PM
Carroll told The Associated Press. "I'm more concerned with helping the process and making sure everything comes to the front."

That way it won't get broken off in his backside.

Soonerus
5/3/2006, 01:26 AM
Forfeit for USC, because they should be ineligible but no MNC in 2005 because OU did not deserve it...

Desert Sapper
5/3/2006, 03:37 AM
I've said it before. The rule should be that nobody can ever mention the '05 OB in official circles EVER AGAIN. No cute little SC videos, no ESPN circle jerks, no bashing 'Chokelahoma', none of it. It should be as if the game never happened. But then, I know it will get more press now than it ever did (which I didn't think possible), and that will make me sad in my pants.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
5/3/2006, 08:59 PM
What year do you speak of? I don't remember any Orange Bowl in 05'...:D

On a more serious note, why must we bring that game up. If there is any true Sooner fan out there that thinks we deserve that MNC if suc has to forfeit then you are stinkin nuts and I'm as die hard as they come. Make them forfeit, don't make them forfeit, I don't care, just don't make me remember that night.:(