PDA

View Full Version : Please pray for my best friend's dad

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/1/2006, 10:45 PM
He has had renal cancer for the past year and a half and they learned it has spread to his bones. He has to have rods put in his legs to stabilize them tomorrow. It does not look good. Please pray for his comfort and for the family.

We have been best friends since we were 12, so it has been weird going through this together, even though my dad is not this sick yet.

King Crimson
5/1/2006, 10:59 PM
i'm sad to hear that.

GottaHavePride
5/1/2006, 11:00 PM
That sucks.

Nay, succs.

Tailwind
5/1/2006, 11:11 PM
I feel for the poor man. I hope they can make him comfortable. That really sucks.

olevetonahill
5/1/2006, 11:19 PM
He has had renal cancer for the past year and a half and they learned it has spread to his bones. He has to have rods put in his legs to stabilize them tomorrow. It does not look good. Please pray for his comfort and for the family.

We have been best friends since we were 12, so it has been weird going through this together, even though my dad is not this sick yet.
for you and your family and her (him ) and thier family
done

OCUDad
5/1/2006, 11:21 PM
I'm in.

They say these things come in threes... this is the third such request in the past week or so. Hope that's it for bad news for a while.

I'm in.

BajaOklahoma
5/2/2006, 12:05 AM
In. This is what my dad died from. They thought he would be lucky to make it two weeks - he lived nine months after they found it. And that was many years ago - things are better now.

Ike
5/2/2006, 12:14 AM
in.

walkoffsooner
5/2/2006, 05:02 AM
already started

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/2/2006, 06:32 AM
Man, I had a restless night. Everytime I woke up I had them on my mind. I'm going to the hospital after work today. It really succs to have parents who are sick.

Sooner in Tampa
5/2/2006, 06:51 AM
Cancer is straight up crap. Please pass our best along to your friends SBSB.

Prayers to follow.

Newbomb Turk
5/2/2006, 06:52 AM
prayers for both dads.

TUSooner
5/2/2006, 07:55 AM
prayers for both dads.
Exactly.

oumartin
5/2/2006, 08:26 AM
Done

slickdawg
5/2/2006, 08:26 AM
Prayers sent!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/2/2006, 03:58 PM
An update: The surgery went as well as they thought. He still needs your prayers as does the rest of the family. The purpose of this was to make him as comfortable as possible until the inevitable happens.

Mjcpr
5/2/2006, 04:00 PM
Based on past experience, they should involve Hospice at their earliest opportunity.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/2/2006, 04:01 PM
Based on past experience, they should involve Hospice at their earliest opportunity.I'm sure that is coming even though his wife is a nurse. I don't know how all of that works though.

Mjcpr
5/2/2006, 04:03 PM
I'm sure that is coming even though his wife is a nurse. I don't know how all of that works though.

They charge nothing and their purpose is to make the patient as comfortable as possible (with pain medications) until, like you said, the inevitable happens. It's a good organization.

IronSooner
5/2/2006, 04:30 PM
They charge nothing and their purpose is to make the patient as comfortable as possible (with pain medications) until, like you said, the inevitable happens. It's a good organization.

Yep, great people in that group. I honestly don't know how they do it, but I appreciate the fact that they do very much.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/2/2006, 04:49 PM
Thank you guys again for your prayers. It means so much. Amy and I have been friends since the summer before 7th grade. We've always been able to tell each other everything and you would think since we both have dads with cancer it would be like that now. But since my dad is not as sick as her dad, I hesitate to really talk to her about it much. Her husband told me today that she hesitates to talk to me about the situation because she is afraid she is only thinking of her own personal situation with her own dad and not taking me into consideration. "She knows you are going through the same thing," he said.

He told me that and I started to cry because even though my dad has been diagnosed longer he has never been this sick and I know this could be the future.

Does that make sense? We've always been very competitive in a friendly way and this is a race in which neither of us wants a loser.

Sorry if I rambled. I just needed to vent. :)

MamaMia
5/2/2006, 07:11 PM
This is so sad. I will say a prayer for you and your friends. :(

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/2/2006, 08:24 PM
I feel better about things after going to the hospital. He is very alert and joking around like always. I haven't seen him since before he was diagnosed. I really expected him to look worse than he does. Of course, he is pretty drugged so he is not in a lot of pain.

I'm going to send Amy an email tonight to explain that after I talked to her husband I realized we were trying to protect each other and in doing so we weren't providing the support we both desperately need from one another.

Skysooner
5/2/2006, 09:36 PM
Actually they do charge, but it is the insurance otherwise my mom couldn't make a living. They can only take over under certain conditions (terminal, not under a hospital's care, etc.). It is best to call them ahead of time to find out if there are any things you need to do to make sure it happens when you need it.