PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my son's bonus question...please

Kimberlyz4OU
5/1/2006, 09:46 PM
This is bonus question in my son's biology class (10th grade).....

Once a boy was walking down the road, and came to a place where the road divided in two, each separate road forking off in a different direction.

A girl was standing at the fork in the road. The boy knew that one road led to Lieville, a town where everyone always lied, and other other led to Trueville, a town where everyone always told the truth. He also knew that the girl came from one of those towns, but he didn't know which one.

Can you think of a question the boy could ask the girl to find out the way to Trueville? Explain your answer.

Okay, I've really been trying to think "outside the box", help me out peeps, I'm a college graduate and I feel kinda stupid.

TIA.......Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?:texan:

soonercody
5/1/2006, 09:51 PM
"Which way is your town?"
Either way, she will point to Trueville.

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 09:51 PM
Bitch, you got my money?

Kimberlyz4OU
5/1/2006, 09:52 PM
Nice JM......need new keyboard......

Why do you say she will point to Trueville?

MamaMia
5/1/2006, 09:53 PM
This is an old Brain quiz. My cousin sent this to me in an email.

The question the boy should ask is, "Which way is your town?"
If the girl is from Lieville, she will point to Trueville because she has to lie; if she is from Trueville, she'll point to Trueville because she has to tell the truth. So whatever road the girl points to will be the road to Trueville.

King Crimson
5/1/2006, 09:53 PM
nevermind. edit:

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 09:54 PM
Red pill or blue pill?

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2006, 09:54 PM
Nevermind.

Kimberlyz4OU
5/1/2006, 09:56 PM
oh wow.........I really feel stupid now! But thanks guys. I even typed the question and didn't comprehend the always lie, always tell the truth thing, gah, I need a vacation!!!

Don't neg me please, heh!

yermom
5/1/2006, 09:56 PM
you should ask which way to her town

LoyalFan
5/1/2006, 10:03 PM
you should ask which way to her town

Is she hawt?

LF

Kimberlyz4OU
5/1/2006, 10:04 PM
Okay, son says give mom and cody some mad props...

What is with all the neverminds, ya know, that's not really helping me with my "stupidity complex" right now.

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 10:08 PM
Can you have sex on it?

King Crimson
5/1/2006, 10:09 PM
Okay, son say's give mom and cody some mad props...

What is with all the neverminds, ya know, that's not really helping me with my "stupidity complex" right now.

i posted something i then edited. there's a similar scenario that requires you ask in the negative--"which way is NOT the way....to...". i thought that was the same sort of thing....because the lying person has to answer in the negative.

Sic'em will have to answer for himself.

OUinFLA
5/1/2006, 10:29 PM
what did this have to do with biology?
I had it in math class.
or...........maybe it was in real life.......

SoonerWood
5/1/2006, 10:33 PM
"Which way is your town" won't work.

The person from lieville could also point down the road from which the child came, giving no help at all.

Rogue
5/1/2006, 10:43 PM
So ya ask, "which one of these two roads leads to your town"?
It's a classic logic problem and that's the classic answer.

OUinFLA
5/1/2006, 11:04 PM
ding ding ding
Rogue's a winner.

although the negative question is what I remember.

If I asked you if that road leads to your town would you say yes?

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2006, 11:06 PM
i posted something i then edited. there's a similar scenario that requires you ask in the negative--"which way is NOT the way....to...". i thought that was the same sort of thing....because the lying person has to answer in the negative.

Sic'em will have to answer for himself.

I answered the question but by the time I hit the reply button it'd already been answered, so I just edited it to say "nevermind" since it'd already been answered.

GottaHavePride
5/1/2006, 11:11 PM
ding ding ding
Rogue's a winner.

although the negative question is what I remember.

If I asked you if that road leads to your town would you say yes?

I think the negative question is to determine if the person involed is a liar or truth-teller.

olevetonahill
5/1/2006, 11:14 PM
what did this have to do with biology?
I had it in math class.
or...........maybe it was in real life.......
It was a ? for her son . She just wanted to know if her Grandkids are gonna be liars or truth tellers
See biology ;)

OCUDad
5/1/2006, 11:24 PM
I seem to remember a variant of this one from my high school days... instead of just one person at the fork in the road, there were two: one always told the truth, one always lied, but you didn't know which was which. What question do you ask to figure out the road to Trueville?

I think the answer was to ask either one of them "what would the other person say?" and then do the opposite.

This is yet another of those high school lessons that I use every single day in real life.

TexasLidig8r
5/2/2006, 09:12 AM
Send the yainch off to Abu Graibib (or however the hell it's spelled).. have our army stack her up like circus elephants for a few months, beat the lying out of the yainch and explain if she points you in the wrong direction, you will release her on a desert island with cannibals, horny inmates or a bunch of ninja pirates.

Partial Qualifier
5/2/2006, 09:29 AM
The correct answer is "which of those two roads leads to your home?"