PDA

View Full Version : Quick, very important (read: beer) question

Half a Hundred
5/1/2006, 08:22 PM
What liquor store in Norman has the best beer selection? TIA

:eddie:

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 08:31 PM
Spirit Shop on Berry & Main or Joe's on Alameda or Campus LiqOUrs on Chautauqua & Imhoff or Corkscrew on 24th & Lindsey

What are you looking for?

King Crimson
5/1/2006, 08:31 PM
i shouldn't even answer this since i haven't lived in Norman for 15 years....SPirit Shop had some good German beers. that place in the Wal-Mart/Buy for Less on Main st. parking lot that used to be a bank has a deece selection as i recall from visiting the folks.

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 08:32 PM
that place in the Wal-Mart/Buy for Less on Main st. parking lot that used to be a bank has a deece selection as i recall from visiting the folks.

Hob Nob Rob's

King Crimson
5/1/2006, 08:34 PM
chatauqua and imhoff? is that where that 7-11 is? across from the old Sherwood Forest or something apartments they tore down?

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 08:37 PM
chatauqua and imhoff? is that where that 7-11 is? across from the old Sherwood Forest or something apartments they tore down?

Yeah. Some students opened up a store in the 7-11 strip.

Yorkshire was the name of the complex. The new one is going up pretty quick.

Half a Hundred
5/1/2006, 08:37 PM
What are you looking for?

Not anything in particular, just want a good selection so I can get something interesting.

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 08:38 PM
I know a few do the mix and match 6pk deal. I always do that when I'm in the mood for a new beer.

King Crimson
5/1/2006, 08:39 PM
Yorkshire, there ya go. Sherwood Forest is the name of a housing addition back towards highway 9 on imhoff. we lived pretty near there when ah was a wee pup.

Scott D
5/1/2006, 10:54 PM
If you wanted beer you wouldn't be in Oklahoma ;)

GottaHavePride
5/1/2006, 10:59 PM
Joe's Place - by East 12th and Alameda. I've talked to th guys that work there and they say they stock every beer you can import into Oklahoma.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/1/2006, 11:00 PM
If you wanted beer you wouldn't be in Oklahoma ;)

Hey! I enjoy paying 9 bucks for a sixpack!

That said, I've only been to a couple of them in town and the one over by sonic/7-11 across from the Lloyd Noble is ok. They have a make your own six pack from various kinds of beer with a decent selection.

Scott D
5/1/2006, 11:06 PM
Hey! I enjoy paying 9 bucks for a sixpack!

That said, I've only been to a couple of them in town and the one over by sonic/7-11 across from the Lloyd Noble is ok. They have a make your own six pack from various kinds of beer with a decent selection.

you are kidding I hope about the $9 for a six pack.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/1/2006, 11:09 PM
you are kidding I hope about the $9 for a six pack.

Nope.

Most is only a little over a buck a bottle.

Some of the further out microbrewery stuff like Anchor will run you a good 9-9.5 bucks.

Scott D
5/1/2006, 11:16 PM
Nope.

Most is only a little over a buck a bottle.

Some of the further out microbrewery stuff like Anchor will run you a good 9-9.5 bucks.

oy, I can get a 12 pack of Newcastle for $10 not including the .10 deposit on each bottle.

King Crimson
5/1/2006, 11:20 PM
Anchor Steam is expensive everywhere. it's 9 here in Colorado.

GottaHavePride
5/1/2006, 11:21 PM
They used to sell a 4-pack of Hoegaarden for over $10, but man was it worth it. A 25-oz. bottle of Chimay Blue is about $9.

With that said, I tend to stick to the somewhat more reasonable beers. Like 12 Boulevard Wheat for 7 or 8 dollars.

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 11:52 PM
They used to sell a 4-pack of Hoegaarden for over $10, but man was it worth it. A 25-oz. bottle of Chimay Blue is about $9.

With that said, I tend to stick to the somewhat more reasonable beers. Like 12 Boulevard Wheat for 7 or 8 dollars.

:les: watch your language!
one of my faves

okienole3
5/1/2006, 11:57 PM
I grew up with the guy who owns Campus Liquors so go there.

KC what street did you live on in Sherwood Forrest? My folks have lived there my entire life.

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 11:59 PM
You mean:

I grew up with the guy who owns Campus LiqOUrs so go there.

:cool:

GottaHavePride
5/2/2006, 12:01 AM
KC what street did you live on in Sherwood Forrest? My folks have lived there my entire life.

http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/hood/images/menintit.jpg

okienole3
5/2/2006, 12:04 AM
You mean:

:cool:

Thanks. :)

okienole3
5/2/2006, 12:06 AM
http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/hood/images/menintit.jpg

:eek:

BajaOklahoma
5/2/2006, 12:08 AM
I love how thread has been at the top of the page since it was posted.

The SO has its priorities.

King Crimson
5/2/2006, 12:43 PM

i actually lived up the hill from Sherwood Forest, neighborhood around the Berry/Imhoff intersection.

i took the bus to Whittier/Norman West that went through Sherwood Forest so i had many friends that lived down there.

sooneron
5/2/2006, 12:47 PM
I was on bus 12 going to West Fresh year. I was 1/10th of a mile too close to WMS.

The berm rawked! Alas, it it gone.

King Crimson
5/2/2006, 12:53 PM
bus 10 in 7th grade, bus 27 thereafter (until i got my own rig). bus 27 was WAY cooler. it was a riot on wheels.

yeah, the berm....i guess it was desgined to make tornados jump over the school . i had a pretty good time at Whittier. it was awwright.

OhU1
5/2/2006, 01:16 PM
Joe's Place hands down is the best liquor store in Norman and perhaps even the state of Oklahoma for beer.

Cache Road Liquor store in Lawton used to be incredible 2 years ago. Since then their prices have gone way up and the selection has gone way down. I didn't see near the selection at the Tulsa liquor stores as Joe's has either. Byron's in OKC is good but I don't beleive they carry all the Belgium and other specialty beers that Joe's does.

Joe's even has the awesome Great Divide Brewery beers. Previously I had only seen these in Texas.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/2/2006, 01:26 PM
Anchor Steam is expensive everywhere. it's 9 here in Colorado.

I could find it for 6.99 at a couple stores in Houston.

Man, I miss Central Market, Whole Foods and Costco.

The worst part is, we'll never get any of those up here on account of the liquor laws.

Mjcpr
5/2/2006, 01:27 PM

The worst part is, we'll never get any of those up here on account of the liquor laws.

They got 'em in Iraq, along with cheap gas.

King Crimson
5/2/2006, 01:34 PM

we've got WHole Foods and CostCo in Colorado, but they don't sell booze. My sister who lives in Dallas is a big fan of central market.

for 7 bucks, i'd be drinking AS like it was going out of style. porter is pretty good too. kinda smoky tasting.

i used to really dig Sierra Nevada porter, but i think the quality has gone down with SN...in the last few years.

handcrafted
5/2/2006, 02:09 PM
They got 'em in Iraq, along with cheap gas.

RRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPTHTHHSHTHS HHTHTH

*excuse me*

Spirit Shop has a great beer selection but they are often not the cheapest. Spiritz n Wine over next to the sushi place on Robinson doesn't carry the more obscure brands but if you want Fullers or Newcastle or something like that, I've found them to be a full $1-$2 cheaper.

Joe's Place is the best but it's a 30 minute drive from my house, so I rarely go there anymore.

Half a Hundred
5/2/2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks a lot everyone, I just recently turned 21, and this is very useful knowledge. Spirit shop is pretty damn expensive, but it worked in a pinch, and I'm going to check out Joe's today.

Jimminy Crimson
5/2/2006, 02:21 PM
If we ever get a Central Market here, I'll be a happy camper.

Sometimes I'll drive down to Dallas just to go there. :O

handcrafted
5/2/2006, 03:07 PM
Also, if you are in OKC, check out the greatness that is Byron's. It's just west of the State Capitol on 23rd, right on the edge of Little Saigon. Their beer selection is almost as good as Spirit Shop and their prices are azz-cheap. $5 for a 6-pack of Bitburger.

King Crimson
5/2/2006, 03:10 PM
bitte ein bit.

Sooner95
5/2/2006, 04:15 PM
I havn't lived in Okla since 1996, and from what i remember, it was quantity, not quality I was looking for back then..haha

But now, microbrews is about all I will drink these days, and we have plenty to choose from over here in NY. I get a nice selection from Vermont, and Maine, as well as a couple from the Adirondack area.

Large store down in Albany

http://www.brew-crew.com/

bored one nite, check out their list..its not bad.

I was recently in OK, just a week ago on vacation to see my family ect.. One thing I had trouble finding was some good brew. Had to hunt down a liquor store on the NE side of OKC, which is where we were staying hotel and did find a decent IPA from Kansas City. Other than that, it was slim pickin's.

Ah well. Did enjoy seeing the Stadium in person since 1995. Boy has it changed..even found my old digs on East Brooks Street across from the old rugby field..ah memories..