PDA

View Full Version : Any amatuer radio operators here?

Jerk
5/1/2006, 08:07 PM
I'm thinking about getting into it becaus I get BORED OUT OF MY MIND driving around all day and getting a HAM license would be something to do. I already have a 10 meter radio that has been converted to 11 meter... I know, it's illegal, but four watts just doesn't cut it on CB. CB was a great concept but they should have put it up in the higher frequences to limit skip. I hate skip because it f***s up local communications. And what about GMRS? You don't need a license with it. It's UHF so there should be no skip. It's also FM, which I like. I have FM mode on my CB but no one likes to talk on it. But anyway,, I'm thinking if I have a HAM license, it'll give me something to play with on those boring trips up the turnpike.

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 08:11 PM
No, but Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel use it. ;)

OUinFLA
5/1/2006, 09:02 PM
Just get "Verizon wireless anywhere" and carry your laptop on the road.
What could be better than surfing the SO while traveling about 75mph down the interstate ?

Scott D
5/1/2006, 10:55 PM
I'm thinking about getting into it becaus I get BORED OUT OF MY MIND driving around all day and getting a HAM license would be something to do. I already have a 10 meter radio that has been converted to 11 meter... I know, it's illegal, but four watts just doesn't cut it on CB. CB was a great concept but they should have put it up in the higher frequences to limit skip. I hate skip because it f***s up local communications. And what about GMRS? You don't need a license with it. It's UHF so there should be no skip. It's also FM, which I like. I have FM mode on my CB but no one likes to talk on it. But anyway,, I'm thinking if I have a HAM license, it'll give me something to play with on those boring trips up the turnpike.

you just want the gubment to get you don't you? ;)

Ike
5/1/2006, 11:04 PM
ya know, a few years ago I had a funny thing happening with what I can only guess was HAM radio on the southeast side of norman. My TV, when it was on, was somehow picking up what I guess were HAM radio conversations. I could turn the volume of the TV completely off and you could still hear them pretty good. I could even make out a little bit of what they were saying. But it was in a foreign language.

OUinFLA
5/1/2006, 11:07 PM
aliens?

SoonerWood
5/1/2006, 11:40 PM
ya know, a few years ago I had a funny thing happening with what I can only guess was HAM radio on the southeast side of norman. My TV, when it was on, was somehow picking up what I guess were HAM radio conversations. I could turn the volume of the TV completely off and you could still hear them pretty good. I could even make out a little bit of what they were saying. But it was in a foreign language.

I had the same thing happen. There were a couple of trucks out in the field in front of my house and I could hear one of them talking, plain as day, through my home stereo. And the stereo was turned off. He must have had his radio amped up quite a bit.

Ike
5/1/2006, 11:46 PM
I had the same thing happen. There were a couple of trucks out in the field in front of my house and I could hear one of them talking, plain as day, through my home stereo. And the stereo was turned off. He must have had his radio amped up quite a bit.

yup. I honestly don't remember if it only happened when the TV was on or if it happened when it was off too. It was 4 years ago. I remember wishing I spoke whatever language those folks were speaking, cause I had a suspicion that they were terrorists trying to hijack my TV and brainwarsh me. I'da called Johnny Ashcroft, but my phone was off.