PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty ****** *******s

TopDaugIn2000
5/1/2006, 06:17 PM
I got a summons for jury duty in Oklahoma County (OKC) addressed to my OLD addy in OKC. I now live in Norman (Cleveland Co) so can I get out of it??? Or is it a state thing, county doesn't matter???

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2006, 06:19 PM
Well, if you can't get out of it then no matter what then vote to convict. Cause if they got arrested and charged they MUST be guilty.

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 06:31 PM
Call the OK County court clerk and see what you can do. You might just have to go on your day and then you would be released.

TopDaugIn2000
5/1/2006, 07:17 PM
yeah, that's what my stepdad said. and I'd get a day off work ;)

walkoffsooner
5/1/2006, 08:21 PM
i called and was super nice about how i had always dreamed of serving my country on jury duty, but due to work could not make it in.They were perfectly happy to dash my dreams of being a juror.

BajaOklahoma
5/1/2006, 08:31 PM
When the kids moved form Collin County to Dallas county, we just had to provide a copy of the signed apt contract.

AlbqSooner
5/1/2006, 08:35 PM
If you are no longer a resident of Oklahoma County, you are ineligible to serve on a jury in that county. Call the Court Clerk and explain your circumstance. It may well save you a day off.

However, if you want said day off and an excuse to go to OKC, plead ignorance and show up. Make sure they know early in the morning that you are no longer a resident there.

Okla-homey
5/1/2006, 08:41 PM
If you are no longer a resident of Oklahoma County, you are ineligible to serve on a jury in that county. Call the Court Clerk and explain your circumstance. It may well save you a day off.

However, if you want said day off and an excuse to go to OKC, plead ignorance and show up. Make sure they know early in the morning that you are no longer a resident there.

and bring a good book. Many are called, few serve. The rest are stuck all flippin' day with TV (daytime TV at that) or playing "Spades." :O

TopDaugIn2000
5/1/2006, 08:47 PM
I don't understand how they think I still live in OKC. I changed my addy with the post office, voter registration, IRS, & my driver's license.

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2006, 08:49 PM
I don't understand how they think I still live in OKC. I changed my addy with the post office, voter registration, IRS, & my driver's license.

Welcome to dealing with the government.

TopDaugIn2000
5/1/2006, 08:51 PM
and it's not like I moved last week.....it was nearly 6 months ago!

critical_phil
5/1/2006, 08:53 PM

any chance it could be federal (which is also in OKC)?

TopDaugIn2000
5/1/2006, 08:55 PM
no, it says oklahoma county all over the letter.

Soonerbabeinbama
5/1/2006, 08:55 PM
For Pete's sake girl - why do you want to get out of it? I had the time of my life doing jury duty. My last one was a murder case so it was right down my alley. I loved it. I wonder if there is any call for a professional juror. That would be me!! Besides - it's your civic duty TD. If I had to go to trial in a lawsuit, I would like good, moral, responsible people like you and me to be on the jury.

Oh, sorry, didn't catch the part about you are in a different county. But - jury duty is a good thing.

TopDaugIn2000
5/1/2006, 08:56 PM
I'm still considered "new" on the job, and I hate missing work. My luck I'll get picked and the trial would go on FOR-EV-ER.

MamaMia
5/1/2006, 09:32 PM
You would be better off serving. The same thing happened to me. I got the summons later than normal because of the forwarded mail system. I had a daughter who was about to deliver my grandchild any minute, so the Judge dismissed me. Then I was called shortly after that again right during football season!!! It cost me a real fun road trip. Serve and get it over with. They are only allowed to call you once in a blue moon so once you serve, your football season is safe.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/1/2006, 09:41 PM
It's your duty to inform them that you don't live in OK county anymore. You can't vote there and are actually ineligible to serve.

Skysooner
5/1/2006, 09:44 PM
[South Park Rap Kid] You got served! [/South Park Rap Kid]

Soonerbabeinbama
5/1/2006, 09:55 PM
neg spekked for jury duty -geez

Scott D
5/1/2006, 10:57 PM
any chance it could be federal (which is also in OKC)?

*sigh* 4 weeks of calling to see if you need to report is so f'n stupid. That is all.

olevetonahill
5/1/2006, 11:07 PM
your OUT girl :D wrong county tell em STFU and the GADOCADWI :D
I have NEVER been summond for jury duty ;) I think it has sompun to do with me being ex cop ,crazy vet :eek:

BajaOklahoma
5/2/2006, 12:16 AM
Some of us get called on a regular basis - City, County and Federal. And never picked.

I think they only download the list annually.
We just got a 400 dollar bill from the tollroad authority - for my car that we sold in March, 2005. My husband was able to print out a state document showing th name of the new owner and get it switched over to him. The tolltag agency only downloads the list of vehicle owners when they feel like it.

Ike
5/2/2006, 12:20 AM
Some of us get called on a regular basis - City, County and Federal. And never picked.

I think they only download the list annually.
We just got a 400 dollar bill from the tollroad authority - for my car that we sold in March, 2005. My husband was able to print out a state document showing th name of the new owner and get it switched over to him. The tolltag agency only downloads the list of vehicle owners when they feel like it.

that almost sounds like the glorious efficiency of ISTHA

TopDaugIn2000
5/2/2006, 08:26 AM
I plan to show up first thing that morning and inform them I no longer reside in OK county. Then take the rest of the day off.

TopDaugIn2000
5/22/2006, 01:07 PM
showed up, proved I no longer live in OK county, took the rest of the day off. I was there all of 10 minutes. w00t.