PDA

View Full Version : Hunting rifle ****** *******s

1stTimeCaller
5/1/2006, 11:31 AM
I'm looking to purchase a used rifle, in either .270 or .30-06. I'm thinking of getting a Ruger mk77. It doesn't have to be stainless but I have an mk77 .223 in stainless already. Actually I'd rather have walnut and blued to lower the cost. I will be hunting deer and possibly an elk but 99% of the time will be for deer.

Any recommendations on what to get?

usmc-sooner
5/1/2006, 11:32 AM
I don't like 30-06, might be just me. I like 7mm

usmc-sooner
5/1/2006, 11:34 AM
most of the time it's the shooter not the rifle. I also like .308

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 11:35 AM
When you say "I will be hunting deer and possibly elk" is that code for any of the posters around here?

1stTimeCaller
5/1/2006, 11:37 AM
most of the time it's the shooter not the rifle. I also like .308

I'll take you heads up on a pop-up range with the M-16 A2, not that namby pamby 'known distance' you Navy Infantrymen use to qualify :D

1stTimeCaller
5/1/2006, 11:37 AM
When you say "I will be hunting deer and possibly elk" is that code for any of the posters around here?

well, I have the .223 for human sized targets.

usmc-sooner
5/1/2006, 11:39 AM
I'll take you heads up on a pop-up range with the M-16 A2, not that namby pamby 'known distance' you Navy Infantrymen use to qualify :D

I've shot on Army ranges before, hell I could hit your targets throwing rocks and baseballs. :D

IB4OU2
5/1/2006, 11:39 AM
Get a TC Encore 'One Shot One Kill', rifle..........you can get barrells in 30-06, 7mm, or just about any caliber plus .50 cal black powder for the primitive season. I've used mine for the last 6 years and I haven't missed a deer (with only one shot I might add). I have a Ruger M77 30-06 and I replaced that rifle with the TC Encore.

SoonerWood
5/1/2006, 11:40 AM
Get a M14 SAGE EBR. It's a .308 Caliber.

http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/content_sub/sage_ebr_review/ebr_both_models_small.jpg

1stTimeCaller
5/1/2006, 11:40 AM
you wanna sell the Ruger?

IB4OU2
5/1/2006, 11:43 AM
you wanna sell the Ruger?

I haven't thought about it much.......I guess I could? But seriously LOOK at the Encore.

Okla-homey
5/1/2006, 12:16 PM
Winchester Model 94 in 30-30. I've said it before and I'll say it agin, best all-round gun period. More deer have been killed by the combo than any other firearm in history. Plus, they're cool.

Not a great choice for really big game, but I wouldn't buy based on your stated 1% use vs. those targets.

Mongo
5/1/2006, 12:37 PM
AR-30 .300 WIN MAG Drops anything you want, and very accurate.:D

www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles.htm

achiro
5/1/2006, 01:18 PM
The ruger is a really nice rifle. I like the idea of the same gun in a smaller calibr to shoot more often and get more comfortable with then go with the big gun for sighting in and hunting.
I would go with the 7mm or the .300 swm way before the -06.

If you are open to other brands, I would recommend looking at a Savage. Although not as expensive as many other brands, they are great shooting and the new "accu-trigger" is awesome. One of the nicest guns out there IMO.

olevetonahill
5/1/2006, 01:20 PM
Like Homey said the 30-30 is the best allround deer gun , Great for brushy type places up 100 yrds or so after that as in longer yardage type shooting , I prefer the the M77 in 7mm
JMHO

Okla-homey
5/1/2006, 01:30 PM
Like Homey said the 30-30 is the best allround deer gun , Great for brushy type places up 100 yrds or so after that as in longer yardage type shooting , I prefer the the M77 in 7mm
JMHO

I have been hunting since my teen years. I have never been presented a shot at a deer beyond 100 yds. The vast majority have been inside 50. Less than that from deerstands where I was basically just taking a high-angle shot and drilling the deer in the melon from the tree. Frankly, I think I'd be scared to take a shot outside of 100 yds unless it was on a prairie or something b/c I like being sure no one's downrange.
Bottomline for me: hunting deer in the woods = 30-30Win.

BTW, anyone who uses a stand MUST ALWAYS strap in. I've known two guys who freaked (I admit its exciting) when the deer showed up and managed to fall out. One just busted his butt. The other guy got hurt badly and didn't work for a year.

olevetonahill
5/1/2006, 01:39 PM
I havnt hunted in 24 yrs , But In western Ok you aint gonna get many 50 to 100 yrd shots . The last time I went hunting was in Idaho , got My bear with 1 shot about 250 yrds :) Had the M77 great rifle

Jerk
5/1/2006, 01:55 PM
I like 308, too. I think it's the best all around compromise for a cartridge that can take both 4 legged game, and 2 legged game (should the need ever arise)

At 300 yards, .308 has more velocity than .223 and it's almost 3 times heavier (55gr. vs 150 gr.)

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/Gallerypics/IWDFAL2.jpg
FN-FAL - Right Arm of the Free World 7.62 NATO

SoonerWood
5/1/2006, 02:08 PM
Yeah, and those don't jam like the <cough> AR-15 <cough> :D

Jerk
5/1/2006, 02:10 PM
Yeah, and those don't jam like the <cough> AR-15 <cough> :D

Yeah, sigh. I hate to admit that. I have several FN-FALs and over the course of 6 years only one jam among them all. My one single AR can beat that in a day.

I'm actually thinking about getting rid of it.

IB4OU2
5/1/2006, 03:13 PM
I have been hunting since my teen years. I have never been presented a shot at a deer beyond 100 yds. The vast majority have been inside 50. Less than that from deerstands where I was basically just taking a high-angle shot and drilling the deer in the melon from the tree. Frankly, I think I'd be scared to take a shot outside of 100 yds unless it was on a prairie or something b/c I like being sure no one's downrange.
Bottomline for me: hunting deer in the woods = 30-30Win.

BTW, anyone who uses a stand MUST ALWAYS strap in. I've known two guys who freaked (I admit its exciting) when the deer showed up and managed to fall out. One just busted his butt. The other guy got hurt badly and didn't work for a year.

Iv'e killed several deer over 100 yards, and many over 150 yards. With an 06, .300 mag or 7mm you aren't limiting yourself to the game you hunt, with a 30-30 you are. If you are using a single shot rifle you become very aware that you need to allow the deer to move in a position for a killing (in the boiler house) shot instead of throwing lead at him like some do with a semi-auto or even a bolt action.

Take it from a hillbilly that's hunted big game religiously for the last 30 years. You can't go wrong with the TC Encore-

http://www.tcarms.com/TC_HTML/TC_Enc.htm

C&CDean
5/1/2006, 04:09 PM
Iv'e killed several deer over 100 yards, and many over 150 yards. With an 06, .300 mag or 7mm you aren't limiting yourself to the game you hunt, with a 30-30 you are. If you are using a single shot rifle you become very aware that you need to allow the deer to move in a position for a killing (in the boiler house) shot instead of throwing lead at him like some do with a semi-auto or even a bolt action.

Take it from a hillbilly that's hunted big game religiously for the last 30 years. You can't go wrong with the TC Encore-

http://www.tcarms.com/TC_HTML/TC_Enc.htm

Which is why I pretty much only hunt (well seriously anyhow) with a muzzleloader anymore.

Any 9-year old can kill an elk at 300 yards with a 300 mag and the right scope.

I prefer getting them within 100 yards and dropping them with a .348 grain hollow point delivered by 150 grains of 777 powder. With iron sights. And no pelletized powder. And no sabots.

As for the original question, I love my Rugers. I've got the M77 in several calibers. The most accurate rifle I own is a stainless M77 in 7mm mag. Problem is it pretty much explodes coyotes and whitetails.

The 30.06 is by far the most versatile caliber out there. You can buy ammo from 110 grain all the way to 225 grain at the local Walmart. It is quite capable of dropping any game animal on the North American continent.

And for Homey, I prefer the Marlin 30-30. It's much simpler to tear down and clean than the Winchester, and mine shoots better than the Model 94 I have. And there is a rifle that's a much better brush gun. The .44 mag. It'll shoot through crap so thick you can barely make out the deer and still drop it.

IB4OU2
5/1/2006, 04:26 PM
Which is why I pretty much only hunt (well seriously anyhow) with a muzzleloader anymore.

I prefer getting them within 100 yards and dropping them with a .348 grain hollow point delivered by 150 grains of 777 powder. With iron sights. And no pelletized powder. And no sabots.

As for the original question, I love my Rugers. I've got the M77 in several calibers. The most accurate rifle I own is a stainless M77 in 7mm mag. Problem is it pretty much explodes coyotes and whitetails.

The 30.06 is by far the most versatile caliber out there. You can buy ammo from 110 grain all the way to 225 grain at the local Walmart. It is quite capable of dropping any game animal on the North American continent.

And for Homey, I prefer the Marlin 30-30. It's much simpler to tear down and clean than the Winchester, and mine shoots better than the Model 94 I have. And there is a rifle that's a much better brush gun. The .44 mag. It'll shoot through crap so thick you can barely make out the deer and still drop it.

I used to hunt with patch and roundball using a Lyman Great Plains rifle and I killed many deer with but I also shot a few that were'nt clean kills. The sabots penetrate much better I believe and if your'e going to hunt with a 30/30 you might as well take a Blackpowder rifle instead.

Okla-homey
5/1/2006, 04:31 PM

I quite agree in principle. When you jazz it up with gadgets which turn "hunting" into "harvesting," it kinda takes the fun out of it.

You know, I have a re-pop M1842 smoothbore percussion musket that throws a .69 caliber round ball with 70 grains of ff behind it. You can load it with more powder, but it becomes even more wildly inaccurate beyond 75 yds.

Back in the day, they used a combat load called "buck and ball" which involved a single .69 ball with three 00 buckshot glued to it. of course, on firing the glue comes loose and the whole array flies downrange. I wonder if that would be allowed in OK under muzzleloading regulations?

http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/9546/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz12.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/3866/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbu.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Cartridge made up of ball, buck and the powder contained below. You tear open the cartrige at the powder end, pour it down the muzzle, then stuff the rest down on top, put a cap on the cone (aka nipple,) **** it and let-r-rip.

walkoffsooner
5/1/2006, 04:51 PM
:D this time of year a 22 is your best bet.:D

Scott D
5/1/2006, 05:17 PM
honestly...think about it people...do you REALLY want 1TC possessing a firearm?

1stTimeCaller
5/1/2006, 05:19 PM

heh, I was 15 and had my mom drive me to OKC when I bought my Glock 22 (.40 S&W) for $350 from a guy I found in the classifides. Was 17 when I bought my MAK-90.

Sadly I sold the Glock to pay for rent one month during College for $400 and kept one hi cap clip.

C&CDean
5/1/2006, 05:19 PM

Heh.

"This is my weapon, this is my gun,
this is for ****ing all over the rug,
this is for fun....."

Scott D
5/1/2006, 05:22 PM
heh, I was 15 and had my mom drive me to OKC when I bought my Glock 22 (.40 S&W) for $350 from a guy I found in the classifides. Was 17 when I bought my MAK-90.

Sadly I sold the Glock to pay for rent one month during College for $400 and kept one hi cap clip.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif to the FBI and ATF....enjoy your vacation in Leavenworth :D

LoyalFan
5/1/2006, 06:37 PM
With due respect to all. Let's divorce personal likes, experiences, and nostalgia from so critical a matter...

Winchester Model 94 in 30-30. I've said it before and I'll say it agin, best all-round gun period. More deer have been killed by the combo than any other firearm in history. Plus, they're cool.

Not a great choice for really big game, but I wouldn't buy based on your stated 1% use vs. those targets.

Homey,
With all due respect, the 30-30 is not a good choice. Here's why.
While it is fine for close-in shots on Lower-48 deer-size animals, it lacks the penetrating power and inherent accuracy of more modern cartridges. It is designed, whether it be Winchester or Marlin, to feed a round-nosed bullet rather than the more effective AND more accurate (potentially) Spitzer-type projectile.
The maximum safe velocity of the 30-30 is abysmally low when compared to the .270 Winchester (Cartridge name, not a rifle model per se, .308 Win.(7.63 NATO), 7MM Remington Magnum, or even the .243 Win (which I would NEVER use for larger deer or elk.
Thus, it lacks the "Oomph" and accuracy needed for humane kills much beyond 150 yards, and must be well-scoped at that range.

Our friend said the "E"-word" (Elk). The .270 is at the bottom end of the scale as an elk cartridge. The increased killing power of the various 7mm magnums, most notable the common Remington variant, or one of the .300 mags, make them a much better choice for elk and *longer range deer work.
Most elk won't allow us to wander within 75 yards, either.

While we older folk thought the old "Thutty-Thutty" was a magic weapon, one click short of being a thunderbolt, it just ain't so. Sure, Red Ryder could take out a gang of cattle rustlers, renegade Injuns, or an aluminum siding salesman at half a mile with one, but celluloid reality and life are widely discrepant.

Here's a link to some ballistic tables. You can compare such factors as energy, velocity, trajectory, etc, and see that the 30-30 lags far behind.
A "rainbow trajectory" doth not equate to accuracy and killing power.
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=rifle+cartridge+ballistic+comp arisons&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D6 628c96f6da57bc2%26clickedItemRank%3D3%26userQuery% 3Drifle%2Bcartridge%2Bballistic%2Bcomparisons%26cl ickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.federalcartr idge.com%252F%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPSuggestion%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.federalcartridge.com%2 F

Your Bro in arms,
LoyalFan

Author's weapon: Belgian-made Browning BAR (Browning Semi-Auto Rifle) in .270 Win. with Buehler mounts under a Leupold 2.5x8power scope. I've found that Federal Premium 130 grain loads provide superb accuracy (5/8"-1" three round groups at 100 yards.)
I do not hunt elk, nor do I hunt in ultra-range situations. I limit my shots to 300 yds max. I've taken many deer and wild hogs with only one runaway.
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=Browning+BAR&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D8 accfa82e312abe0%26clickedItemRank%3D5%26userQuery% 3DBrowning%2BBAR%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F %252Fwww.urban-armory.com%252Fdiagrams%252Fbrngbar.htm%26invocati onType%3Dprevious%26fromPage%3DNSCPNextPrevB%26amp %3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.urban-armory.com%2Fdiagrams%2Fbrngbar.htm

*While many love to recount (See: Brag) about the critter they dropped at 500 yards, the REAL hunter assures that he/she is close enough to virtually guarantee a one-shot, clean, instantaneous kill. I've tracked (for others and, once, sadly, for myself, a suffering animal that was wounded but not dropped. I still have bad moments about that one, lo, these many years later.)

BoogercountySooner
5/1/2006, 07:52 PM
I haven't thought about it much.......I guess I could? But seriously LOOK at the Encore.

That there Ruger would make a nice hillbilly house warming gift in a few weeks Bubba!

I shoot a Remington 30-06 Woodmaster for deer never had the priviledge to Elk hunt. I have fired 2 shots at deer at around 100 yards and harvested both. Awesome gun if sighted in well. I shoot a Knight 45 caliber muzzleloader with 150 grains of powder and a 150 grain bullet. Harvested several deer with this gun out to 150 yards. There is my ten cents!