PDA

View Full Version : DOC?? Anyone else

slickdawg
5/1/2006, 09:21 AM
My cousin went to wake up her 10 year old son this morning.

His left side of his face was paralyzed, and his left arm was as well.
He's in route, via ambulance, to the hospital.

Could this be anything other than a stroke?

Mongo
5/1/2006, 09:23 AM
bell's palsey maybe, I had a friend get the similar symptoms and it was BP. Thoughts and prayers are with ya.

etouffee
5/1/2006, 09:23 AM
bells palsy?

Mongo
5/1/2006, 09:26 AM
It has do with a an infected nerve that starts in the cheek/neck area. It sounds familiar what happened to my friend. woke up and was numb, it happened around that age too. Just my opinion, I could be talking out my arse though.

yermom
5/1/2006, 09:32 AM
that was my first thought as well

i'm thinking it's a better case and more likely than a stroke at that age

sorry to hear that :(

slickdawg
5/1/2006, 09:32 AM
What is Bell's Palsy?

Bell's palsy is a form of temporary facial paralysis resulting from damage or trauma to one of the two facial nerves. It is the most common cause of facial paralysis. Generally, Bell's palsy affects only one of the paired facial nerves and one side of the face, however, in rare cases, it can affect both sides. Symptoms of Bell's palsy usually begin suddenly and reach their peak within 48 hours. Symptoms range in severity from mild weakness to total paralysis and may include twitching, weakness, or paralysis, drooping eyelid or corner of the mouth, drooling, dry eye or mouth, impairment of taste, and excessive tearing in the eye. Bell’s palsy often causes significant facial distortion. Most scientists believe that a viral infection such as viral meningitis or the common cold sore virus -- herpes simplex-- causes the disorder when the facial nerve swells and becomes inflamed in reaction to the infection.

Mongo
5/1/2006, 09:34 AM
drooping eyelid

He still has it pretty bad.

slickdawg
5/1/2006, 09:38 AM
Mom juts called, they've done a catscan and some bloodwork, no results
back yet.

This is so scary, you put your baby to bed, and the next morning, BLAMMO!

OUDoc
5/1/2006, 09:46 AM
Bell's Palsy is fine, but the left arm is paralyzed too? It shouldn't affect the arm.
I hope he is well.

slickdawg
5/1/2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks Doc!

The arm has me very concerned.

OUDoc
5/1/2006, 10:01 AM
The arm has me very concerned.
Me, too. Let us know how it turns out.

Oldnslo
5/1/2006, 10:18 AM
thoughts and prayers to you and the slickfamily, dawg.

Soonerbabeinbama
5/1/2006, 10:22 AM
Okay, a few years ago, I woke up with a severe ear ache and a paralyzed face on the right side. I immediately thought stroke or Bell's Palsy - BP was the first diagnosis. After seeing a neurologist, I was confirmed with Ramsay-Hunt Syndrome. More serious than BP with not complete healing. Fairly rare actually. Which figures - I don't ever get anything simple. My arm wasn't affected though - just total right side of face and neck. Hope things turn out ok for him. I can sympathize.

I'm wondering if his might be a reaction to something? Maybe an insect sting or bite, or something he ate? Just throwing out some ideas.

walkoffsooner
5/1/2006, 10:24 AM
Prayers are with you

Osce0la
5/1/2006, 10:29 AM
Thoughts and prayers are with your family Slick. I had a teacher in high school that was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy and the left side of her face was completely paralyzed. She couldn't open her left eye and when she talked the left side of her mouth couldn't move. It wasn't painful or anything, more of an inconvenience than anything, but still a sad incident for anyone to go through - especially at such a young age.

Tailwind
5/1/2006, 10:33 AM
Poor kid! I hope he comes through this ok.

Newbomb Turk
5/1/2006, 10:51 AM
Prayers for the young boy and your family. I have an 11 year old son, so the thought of something like that is frightening.

slickdawg
5/1/2006, 11:06 AM
Prayers for the young boy and your family. I have an 11 year old son, so the thought of something like that is frightening.

I can't imagine what they are going through right now. When slickdaughter
has pneumonia, that was horribel enough, but paralysis, that's just
scary.

MamaMia
5/1/2006, 11:08 AM
I'll say a prayer for him.

slickdawg
5/1/2006, 11:13 AM
My Mom just called, the tests all came back ok, and all of the symptoms
have completely subsided, so they are going to send him home and
schedule an appointment with a neurologist to try and figure out what happened. Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers!

Osce0la
5/1/2006, 11:14 AM
It's terrible when your kid gets sick. There was something going around at my son's day care, and we had been fortunate for him not to get it...Then last night while we're feeding himhe starts coughing and sounds like he's about to throw up, then he's fine, so I wait a minute and then try to feed him a little more...He coughs, makes a few sounds, and then I'm wearing all of the food he had just eaten (and he was almost finished with his second jar of food, so this was a lot of high projectile vomit - and carrots DO NOT smell good when they come back out). I'm still not sure if he's actually sick or if it was because he had gotten too big of a bite and it choked him a little because as soon as he threw up we put him in the floor and he just started playing and laughing and stuff...Regardless, my wife ends up with a stomach bug at about 2 this morning...
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5817/ej67xi.png (http://imageshack.us)

I can't imagine how scary it would be to have to go through something like this with my son...

OUDoc
5/1/2006, 11:14 AM
Glad he's better, slick.

Osce0la
5/1/2006, 11:16 AM
My Mom just called, the tests all came back ok, and all of the symptoms
have completely subsided, so they are going to send him home and
schedule an appointment with a neurologist to try and figure out what happened. Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers!
Glad everything cleared up. I hope they can figure out what caused it and get that fixed without much hassle. I'm sure his parent's are very relieved.

slickdawg
5/1/2006, 11:17 AM
Well Doc, I just hope a root cause can be found. It's certianly scary when
a 10 year old is laying there like a stroke victim, drooling, and partially paralyzed.

slickdawg
5/1/2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah O, things of this magnitude makes typical kids illnesses seem trivial.

Glad you got to wear partially digested food! ;)

Newbomb Turk
5/1/2006, 11:20 AM
great news slick. Hope they find out what it was.

TUSooner
5/1/2006, 01:23 PM
A friend of mine(with 5 kids) summed it up: "There's no worse feeling than when your spouse calls and tells you, "Honey, there's something wrong with [insert kid's name here]."

Prayers and best wishes for the kid and family.

olevetonahill
5/1/2006, 01:34 PM
What TU said

slickdawg
5/4/2006, 01:56 PM
Follow up:

He's been diagnosed with Benign Rolandic epilepsy. Odds are he'll be trated with medications, and hopefully will outgrow it in a few years.

Thanks for everyones thoughts and prayers!!

From

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/answerplace/Medical/seizures/syndromes/benignrolandic.cfm

Benign Rolandic epilepsy (also known as benign partial epilepsy of childhood) accounts for more than one-third of all cases of epilepsy that begin in middle childhood, accounting for 16 percent of those beginning before age 15. There is a family history in 18 percent of cases and the condition is probably genetically determined.

Rolandic epilepsy is the most common type of benign partial epilepsy. Seizures start as simple partial, usually beginning in the face. There may be drooling and temporary inability to speak, although consciousness is preserved. The seizures then generalize to tonic-clonic convulsions.

Most of the seizures are nocturnal and occur during sleep. Neurological and other functioning is usually normal, while the EEG shows a dramatic focal spike most often in the centrotemporal regions of the brain. Most children are seizure free five years after onset; by age 14, 95 percent will have undergone permanent remission.

TopDaugIn2000
5/4/2006, 01:58 PM
speaking of epilepsy, anyone else watch "House" last night????

Ike
5/4/2006, 02:00 PM
Glad to hear that the docs are likely to get it under control slick. thanks for the update.

Scott D
5/4/2006, 02:14 PM
speaking of epilepsy, anyone else watch "House" last night????

all but the first 10 minutes of it.

and bell's palsy has improved good ol' jr's speech impediment ;)

glad the kid is ok slick.