PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dodd says it will be the Sooner over the Longhorns this year

milesl
5/1/2006, 12:43 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9326829

From this article:
Spring Top 25: Pass the Kool-Aid; Ohio State's tops

6. Oklahoma: Bob Stoops was due a "down" year, but a strong finish in an 8-4 season raises hopes again. Adrian Peterson is rededicated. Rhett Bomar gets it at quarterback. Most of the offense is back. We somehow feel that Stoops will be able to build a defense.
It's still early but ... the offensive line needs work. Spring practice started Monday. Get ready for reps, reps, reps for a line that loses four starters.

7. Texas: Save your e-mails, Orangebloods. There is a reason Oklahoma is ranked higher. Call us heretics but we're thinking your guys might lose at least one this year, and one of them might be to OU. The Sooners will have had a year to think about the thrashing last year in Dallas.
It's still early but ... this ranking is very tentative. Colt McCoy doesn't have to be a superstar at quarterback. If the Horns beat Ohio State and everything falls right, they could be back in the national championship game.

milesl
5/1/2006, 12:46 AM
whoops I mean SoonerS over the Longhorns.
Lets get this posted on the Longhorns boards.
they'll have a freakin stroke

boomersooner28
5/1/2006, 12:47 AM
[QUOTE=mileslWe somehow feel that Stoops will be able to build a defense.[/QUOTE]

Uuummm 9 returning starters should help, right? :confused:

BASSooner
5/1/2006, 12:56 AM
I think so. Considering we got reggie smith, birdine, ruuuuuu, thibs, ah you, and others...I hope we can build a defense:rolleyes:

All_Day_28
5/1/2006, 01:20 AM
^^seems to me like we already have one built.http://www.youngmoneyweb.com/style_emoticons/default/scratch.gif

Desert Sapper
5/1/2006, 05:50 AM
OUr only real question is on the O-Line, just like they say. If we come together by September on the line, we could be pretty dang good. Like Big XII and National Champs good. O-Line gelling=AD rushing for a bazillion yards=no pressure on Bomar to win by himself=Champs. Defense speaks for itself.

BoomerJack
5/1/2006, 06:44 AM
"Adrian Peterson is rededicated.'

WTF does this mean?? When was he ever "undedicated"? From what I saw of AD last season he might have been a little over-dedicated; trying to play with his ankle injury and all.

hybridworks
5/1/2006, 09:43 AM
I think he meant that in the form of #28 is 100%...

TexasLidig8r
5/1/2006, 09:43 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9326829

From this article:
Spring Top 25: Pass the Kool-Aid; Ohio State's tops

6. Oklahoma: Bob Stoops was due a "down" year, but a strong finish in an 8-4 season raises hopes again. Adrian Peterson is rededicated. Rhett Bomar gets it at quarterback. Most of the offense is back. We somehow feel that Stoops will be able to build a defense.
It's still early but ... the offensive line needs work. Spring practice started Monday. Get ready for reps, reps, reps for a line that loses four starters.

Let's see... 11 offensive starters.. you lost 4 offensive linemen who started in the Holiday Bowl.... your fullback.. a wide receiver... let me do my Vince Young cypherin.. 4 plus 1 plus 1... equals... 6.... 11 minus 6.. equals 5. Is 5 greater than 6? uh. hmm.. that would be ... No.

Let's see if we can rewrite that little tidbit...
6. Oklahoma: Bob Stoops was due a down year but an impressive performance in the Holiday Bowl raised hopes again. Adrian Peterson hopes to have an injury free 2006 season to match his very impressive numbers from 2004 in what will undoubtedly be his final season for the Crimson and Cream. Rhett Bomar has shown flashes of the talent that made him the number one recruit coming out of high school but questions remain about his maturity and ability to take over a game. OU loses the majority of its offensive starters but young talent abounds. On defense, OU returns a strong defense, with the exception of Dvoracek, but its linebackers could be the top returning unit in the country.

It's still early and answering the offensive line question determines whether OU will be in Dallas on New Years Day, or whether a BCS bowl awaits.

These boys need to at least try to be accurate.

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 09:48 AM
So, because Dennis Dodd finally wrote something positive about us, he's good now? Please. Empty head.

It doesn't take any genius to figure out that even with Vince, UT's was 1-2 against us. We even shut them out for the first time in 30+years with Vince leading way in 2004. Dodd is just looking at the coaches on the sideline, considering the history of the series between the two men, and going with the safe bet.

He's still a jawbreaker sucking weaselfink, though.

lufkinaggie07
5/1/2006, 10:25 AM
You may get past the whorns, but you won't be leaving Kyle Field with a win!:D

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 10:50 AM
You're a brave man, lufkinag, but true to say to point out that Kyle Field has been a tough place for OU to play over the past few trips. Even the wins in 2000 and 2004 were nail-biters. Forget about 2002...please, Lord, erase it from my memory! :D

The Consumate Showman
5/1/2006, 10:52 AM
You may get past the whorns, but you won't be leaving Kyle Field with a win!:D

Aggiesisms....priceless.

Ag, let me clarify something for yOU. Coach Fran has NEVER beat OU.....NEVER. To think that he is going to beat us this year with a McNeal-less team is ludacris. Kyle field is a tough place to play in, but since you guys fired RC, things have been on the downward spiral.....

TopDawg
5/1/2006, 11:02 AM
Let's see... 11 offensive starters.. you lost 4 offensive linemen who started in the Holiday Bowl.... your fullback.. a wide receiver... let me do my Vince Young cypherin.. 4 plus 1 plus 1... equals... 6.... 11 minus 6.. equals 5. Is 5 greater than 6? uh. hmm.. that would be ... No.

A) He didn't say "most of the offensive starters are back" he said most of the offense. And he's right, most of our offense is back.

B) Even if he did say starters, we only lost 5 of the players who started the Holiday Bowl (Runnels does not count as a starter).

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 11:19 AM
Runnells counts. Believe me. Ask anyone who ran behind him. The dude subtracted one or two defenders everytime he went through the line. F'n mule kick of a blocker!

TopDawg
5/1/2006, 12:50 PM
Runnells counts. Believe me. Ask anyone who ran behind him. The dude subtracted one or two defenders everytime he went through the line. F'n mule kick of a blocker!

Uhm, he didn't start so he doesn't count as a starter. That's what we're talking about here, not how good he is.

soonerinabilene
5/1/2006, 01:10 PM
the key to this game is gonna be which d forces the qb to make a mistake. with both mccoy and snead being freshman, i think they are gonna be the ones that make the mistake. not saying bomar is a rock under pressure, but his experience gives him the edge in that dept. if we forced simms to make all the mistakes that he did, we can do it to these two guys even more.

Herr Scholz
5/1/2006, 01:16 PM
Uhm, he didn't start so he doesn't count as a starter.
So, you agree that Vince was 1-1 vs. OU right? ;)

Herr Scholz
5/1/2006, 01:17 PM
the key to this game is gonna be which d forces the qb to make a mistake. with both mccoy and snead being freshman, i REALLY HOPE they are gonna be the ones that make the mistake.
Fixed for ya. ;)

Desert Sapper
5/1/2006, 01:22 PM
Uhm, he didn't start so he doesn't count as a starter. That's what we're talking about here, not how good he is.

Who started at FB for us? Clapp? Because I could have sworn it was JD.

CtheB
5/1/2006, 01:40 PM
Aggiesisms....priceless.

Ag, let me clarify something for yOU. Coach Fran has NEVER beat OU.....NEVER. To think that he is going to beat us this year with a McNeal-less team is ludacris. Kyle field is a tough place to play in, but since you guys fired RC, things have been on the downward spiral.....

Uh, the kid they brought in last year, Stephen McGee (?), looked pretty freakin' good. McNeal sat the pine most of the game last year with an inury.

What we need to worry about isn't the starter at A&M, it's the backup. They're the ones that seem to give us trouble.

TopDawg
5/1/2006, 02:41 PM
So, you agree that Vince was 1-1 vs. OU right? ;)

As a starter, yes. I would've never said otherwise.

TopDawg
5/1/2006, 02:43 PM
Who started at FB for us? Clapp? Because I could have sworn it was JD.

Well, JD was the first FB to play, but he wasn't a starter. I guess we came out in a 3 WR set on the first play, so one of our WRs was our 11th starter instead of JD.

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 02:52 PM
You guys are splitting hairs. JD was a starter.

Also, Vince contributed mightily to the 2003 beating...mightily. He played a ton more than the Mocked one. And, he was equally ineffective. Although, he did throw a nice TD to Jonathan Jackson.

achiro
5/1/2006, 06:00 PM

6. Oklahoma: Bob Stoops was due a down year but an impressive performance in the Holiday Bowl raised hopes again. Adrian Peterson hopes to have an injury free 2006 season to match his very impressive numbers from 2004 in what will undoubtedly be his final season for the Crimson and Cream. Rhett Bomar has shown flashes of the talent that made him the number one recruit coming out of high school but questions remain about his maturity and ability to take over a game. OU loses the majority of its offensive starters but young talent abounds. On defense, OU returns a strong defense, with the exception of Dvoracek, but its linebackers could be the top returning unit in the country.

It's still early and answering the offensive line question determines whether OU will be in Dallas on New Years Day, or whether a BCS bowl awaits.

You still have the Sooners at 6 over the whorns at 7.:D

goingoneight
5/1/2006, 07:50 PM
Uuummm 9 returning starters should help, right? :confused:

It's a joke, dude. Get it? Two-time National Champ defensive guy at HC???

goingoneight
5/1/2006, 07:59 PM

Hate to agree with the horn, but the dude's mostly right. The pressure rests on the OL. And when you're OU, that's a LOT of pressure. Seeing as no one who plays us really likes us and plays the asses off to beat us. The schedule may look weak, but one of OUr NoCo games has a new HC, so you never know how they'll bounce back in 2006. Look how Bobby Stoops bounced OU back in 1999. UT, as a team, not a one man effort, looks to be their strongest (that we're used to) coming into next season. Oregon is tough, OSU can't possibly be much worse than in 2005, and Stoolwater isn't exactly OU's friend, Red Aggie at College Station, etc... It's a "one-Saturday-at-a-time" season for us next year. The schedule strength probably won't die down if we are undefeated down the stretch, that is all the more reason for someone to upset us.

goingoneight
5/1/2006, 08:02 PM
Aggiesisms....priceless.

The 2004 win didn't exactly come easy. As I recall from mid-field, we were down most of that game until we rallied, and only won by a touchdown. It's not as easy as ya think it is!

TopDawg
5/1/2006, 09:51 PM
You guys are splitting hairs. JD was a starter.

Also, Vince contributed mightily to the 2003 beating...mightily. He played a ton more than the Mocked one. And, he was equally ineffective. Although, he did throw a nice TD to Jonathan Jackson.

Lid establishes the Holiday Bowl as his criteria for counting our "starting" OL. Then he counts JD, who didn't start in the Holiday Bowl. For the record, he also counts Wilson who didn't start in the HB. It's not splitting hairs, it's calling for consistency.

But, if Lid (or you) wants to count JD as a starter, then he has to up his numbers to at least 12 because we started 11 people in Holiday Bowl who weren't JD. According to our official stats, we had a total of at least 21 offensive players who started for us last year (at least 19 of them started multiple games). Runnels started in half (6) of our games.

However, at any rate the point of this discussion before you butted in ;) was that Dodd said most of our offense is returning which Lid claimed was inaccurate although it's actually true.

TopDawg
5/1/2006, 09:52 PM
Hate to agree with the horn, but the dude's mostly right.

I agree about the OL thing, but he's wrong about the Dodd thing. :D