PDA

View Full Version : DAY WITHOUT A MESSICAN is Monday

SeattleOUstudent
4/30/2006, 10:41 PM
Not supposed to get out of their homes for anything...food, gas, entertainment...nuthin.

Heard the Walmart on Santa Fe/240 is going to close for the day ;)

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 10:42 PM
I bet I see a few tomorrow.

SeattleOUstudent
4/30/2006, 10:45 PM
i bet we get a few into the bank.

IronSooner
4/30/2006, 10:46 PM
it'd be a lot more effective if they'd all go back to mexico for the day

jk the sooner fan
4/30/2006, 10:47 PM
i'm curious to see if the hispanics that work for me show up tomorrow (they're all legal).....

i cut my grass today and trimmed the hedges, so im set tomorrow

yermom
4/30/2006, 11:10 PM
should i not try to eat Tex/Mex tomorrow?

Mongo
4/30/2006, 11:12 PM
I havent been home in a week and already made plans to eat @ my favorite messican place. What to do?

dolemitesooner
4/30/2006, 11:12 PM
weare going to teds....then when that **** aint cooked on time we get free food ...GEIUNS

JohnnyMack
4/30/2006, 11:14 PM
weare going to teds....then when that **** aint cooked on time we get free food ...GEIUNS

You should run out without paying and scream "Free Rodney King!!!"

Tailwind
5/1/2006, 12:32 AM
Looks like it would be a real good day to go shopping.

bri
5/1/2006, 12:45 AM
You should run out without paying and scream "Free enchiladas!!!"

Fixed it for ya.

critical_phil
5/1/2006, 12:51 AM
I bet I see a few tomorrow.

new roof?

Okla-homey
5/1/2006, 06:10 AM
Methinks the outfits who are closed today are proving they rely on illegals to operate their bidness. Perhaps thats a good reason for a person not to give them his bidness after today if he feels strongly about this national problem.

walkoffsooner
5/1/2006, 07:15 AM

Ingenious i'll try it to be sure and post

Mjcpr
5/1/2006, 07:37 AM
Not supposed to get out of their homes for anything...food, gas, entertainment...nuthin.

The ones in Tulsa didn't get the memo......supposed to be thousands downtown today for a rally.

sanantoniosooner
5/1/2006, 07:45 AM
yeah, a lot of demonstrating today.

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 08:17 AM
I heard Tulsa's fine mayor and police chief will be out in full support of the illegals today.

Another great reason to flee Tulsa and move to the burbs.

SoonerInKCMO
5/1/2006, 08:27 AM
Another great reason to flee Tulsa and move to OKC.

Fixed it for ya. ;)

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 08:28 AM
Its not getting to far from the truth sadly.

Oh, if only we could afford to build our sucky *** arena.

OUinFLA
5/1/2006, 08:30 AM
is Taco Bell gonna be open?

ya know, lunch plans and such depend on the answer.

sanantoniosooner
5/1/2006, 08:32 AM

ya know, lunch plans and such depend on the answer.
If your lunch plans include taco bell you have bigger problems than immigration to worry about.

Okla-homey
5/1/2006, 08:33 AM
Its not getting to far from the truth sadly.

Oh, if only we could afford to build our sucky *** arena.

I think the arena will get built, the part i don't get is WTF are we supposed to park when we go there to see "Sesame Street Live" someday?

Note: I attended three performances of SSL during my kid's childhood and thus have paid my dues. I hope never to attend another SSL performance unless its under the influence of alcohol and accompanied by the grandchildren of my daughter and her fabulously wealthy husband

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 08:37 AM
I think the arena will get built, the part i don't get is WTF are we supposed to park when we go there to see "Sesame Street Live" someday?

I am thinking just across the street from our newest, biggest tourist attraction. At places such as the former jail, a federal building, city bus station, or maybe right on the railroad tracks where the bums sleep!

Mjcpr
5/1/2006, 08:40 AM

I can see no less than two parking garages from the arena site.

TopDaugIn2000
5/1/2006, 08:47 AM
apparently the BIG man called a meeting on Friday and laid down the law. most of our immagrants are here today.

I stopped on the way in and washed the company car before returning it and saw a mexican d00d detailing his truck. he had "macarena" playing as LOUD as he could get it. (d00d, that's SO 10 years ago). Anyway, I thought about asking him if he'd wash the car for me, but then I realized he wasn't workin for whitey today and I had to do it myself.

Osce0la
5/1/2006, 08:49 AM
There's a large group of Mexicans that will be holding a "memorial" type service about an hour south of Birmingham today to honor those that died - TRYING TO CROSS THE BORDER ILLEGALLY!!!11 WTF? This isn't to honor fallen war heroes, or to honor someone who did something noble for humanity, it is for people who tried to sneak over here ILLEGALLY and were killed...:mad:

Okla-homey
5/1/2006, 08:50 AM
If they have demonstrations in your area, keep us posted as to their scope and scale

TIA

slickdawg
5/1/2006, 08:52 AM
Since there's an estimated 50,000 of them on the coast since Katrina,
there may be something on the news tonight, I'll let you know.

SoonerInKCMO
5/1/2006, 08:53 AM
Our Messican showed up today. Of course, she's actually Kansan having been born in suburban KC and all.

Osce0la
5/1/2006, 08:53 AM
Here's a link to my rant on their "memorial service" here tonight...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68285

sanantoniosooner
5/1/2006, 08:54 AM
If you can just step back a little bit and look at the situation from their side.......

A good number of illegals work here and send money home to care for their families. To die while trying to provide for your family isn't really that horrible.

You guys blaming mexicans for our immigration problems need to look at the lawmakers.

I blame the NBA for letting Shaq be a bulldozer, not Shaq.

I would like to see the problem fixed, but it will be from this end, not that one.

SoonerWood
5/1/2006, 08:56 AM
Solution. Make these messican workers legal and get rid of welfare. Chances are, the welfare recipients would be too damn lazy to get up and march in any kind of protest. :D

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 08:58 AM
Build a wall, put the national guard on the border, add in the FAIR tax and make Engrish the offical language, and you've got a deal.

Osce0la
I have no problem with the ones coming here and actually letting America benefit from their being here...But the ones that are coming here and causing us to have to cater to them really gets to me...Now it has gone so far as to people altering OUR National Anthem to cater to the Mexicans that don't want to learn our language. Whether you hate George Bush or love him, I 100% agree with his comments on that subject. He basically said it is meant to be done in English, and if you want to come here, you need to learn English...

Boomhauer
Wonder if my 3 "no habla engles" students will show up for their education in my class today?

OU Adonis
5/1/2006, 08:59 AM
My vote is for them to do it another 364 times this year. I would be all for it.

colleyvillesooner
5/1/2006, 09:00 AM
Rallies at Dallas City Hall are at 4:30. Last rally drew estimated 300k - 500k.

slickdawg
5/1/2006, 09:00 AM
Where's the "good ol'" George Wallace when you need him?

sanantoniosooner
5/1/2006, 09:01 AM
I'm not trying to defect here. I'm just trying to explain why it might be seen as somewhat noble from another viewpoint.

I would love to see some real answers to the problem.

IronSooner
5/1/2006, 09:15 AM
Has anyone ever thought about making mexico not suck as bad? Seems like the best solution would be to negate their reason for coming over here in the first place. Tall order I know, but worthwhile perhaps.

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 09:23 AM
I'm not trying to defect here. I'm just trying to explain why it might be seen as somewhat noble from another viewpoint.

I would love to see some real answers to the problem.

SPEAK ENGLISH. PAY TAXES.

What else ya need?

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 09:24 AM

There's nothing Mexican about Taco Bell, so it shouldn't be effected.

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 09:27 AM
My vote is for them to do it another 364 times this year. I would be all for it.

Agreed. My wife, a legal Mexican immigrant, and I were discussing the whole thing this weekend. To us, it didn't make any sense to not work or shop for one day. Eventually, they've got to go back to work and shop. So, they're just delaying by a day or so work and shopping they'll eventually have to do...if they stay.

Here's the deal...the only way for the no work/shop thing to work is if the illegals never work or spend another dollar in America again. To do that, they'd have to leave the country, something they won't do. So, they accomplish nothing today other than to aggravate an American populace that is already tired of their act. Sadly, their American Hispanic leaders are too stupid to realize the backlash they continue to create.

TopDaugIn2000
5/1/2006, 09:29 AM
Agreed. My wife, a legal Mexican immigrant, and I were discussing the whole thing this weekend. To us, it didn't make any sense to not work or shop for one day. Eventually, they've got to go back to work and shop. So, they're just delaying by a day or so work and shopping they'll eventually have to do...if they stay.

much like the "don't buy gas on this certain day" to lower gas prices idea. uh, well, uh, you EVENTUALLY have to buy it.

idiots

mdklatt
Has anyone ever thought about making mexico not suck as bad?

Good luck with all that.

I saw one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen in the Daily Oklahoman last week (and boy is that saying something). In a letter to the editor a woman asked, "If they can spend $1500 to pay somebody to get them across the border, why don't they use that money to further their education and make their own country better?"

SoonerInKCMO
Has anyone ever thought about making mexico not suck as bad? Seems like the best solution would be to negate their reason for coming over here in the first place. Tall order I know, but worthwhile perhaps.

Why do you think they're legalizing drugs? ;)

SoonerInKCMO
5/1/2006, 09:31 AM
much like the "don't buy gas on this certain day" to lower gas prices idea. uh, well, uh, you EVENTUALLY have to buy it.

idiots

The Target near me was packed with people speaking Spanish last night.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 09:35 AM
Now it has gone so far as to people altering OUR National Anthem to cater to the Mexicans that don't want to learn our language.

They didn't do anything to our national anthem. I'm sure you can still find the English version somewhere if you look hard enough. :cool:

The existence of a song I have no intention of ever singing or listenting to offends me, so nobody else can sing it or listen to it either. Hooray for political correctness!

IronSooner
5/1/2006, 09:35 AM
Why do you think they're legalizing drugs? ;)

heh, I thought of that. If legalized drugs gets them to stay down there I'm all for it. I think I'm just amazed at how willing messicans seem to be to jump ship on their own country. You don't hear about anyone wanting to fix it or improve life there, they just all line up to bail like rats off a sinking ship. That seems like sad commentary to me.

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 09:37 AM
The political situation in Mexico is a suck, but at some point they have to do something for themselves. Our open border has allowed the Mexican government a pass on having to reform itself.

Honestly, having been down there and experiencing non-tourist Mexico, I doubt there will ever be a public revolt. Candidly (although saying this might upset some people), they're not smart proud enough, brave enough, industrious enough, or smart enough to ever change their government.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 09:46 AM
Candidly (although saying this might upset some people), they're not smart proud enough, brave enough, industrious enough, or smart enough to ever change their government.

Why does Jesus hate Mexicans?

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 09:50 AM
Jesus loves Mexicans. Mexicans just don't love standing up for themselves in their own country. That takes too much time and effort. Just thinking about it probably gives them tiredhead.

TexasLidig8r
5/1/2006, 09:54 AM
Why is it acceptable to type/say the word "Messicans" which is tantamount to the "N" word?

The "N" word is strictly taboo and yet, Messicans, which, to Hispanics is just as offensive, is used liberally.

IronSooner
5/1/2006, 09:55 AM
I thought their analog was Spics

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 09:55 AM
Jesus loves Mexicans.

Then why did he make them inferior to us smart, brave, hard-working Americans? Especially since they're a lot more religious than we are.

I know! It's because they're Catholics, right??

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 09:56 AM
Why is it acceptable to type/say the word "Messicans" which is tantamount to the "N" word?

It is?

yermom
5/1/2006, 09:57 AM

The "N" word is strictly taboo and yet, Messicans, which, to Hispanics is just as offensive, is used liberally.

i'm not sure there is a word more taboo than the "N" word

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 09:58 AM
i'm not sure there is a word more taboo than the "N" word

See You Next Tuesday?

GDC
We're all immigrants or descended from immigrants in this country, I don't understand what the fuss is.

Tear Down This Wall
"Mexican" is only offensive to American hispanics who have never been to Mexico. Funny, most people are proud of their heritage. Say "Mexican" to an American hispanic and they get their shorts in a wad. Dummies.

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 09:59 AM
We're all immigrants or descended from immigrants in this country, I don't understand what the fuss is.

OklahomaTuba
One is legal, the other isn't.

mdklatt

The fact that these immigrants are brown has more to do with it than people will admit.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 10:01 AM
PAY TAXES.

They do pay taxes, just not income tax--which makes them just like quite a few rich Americans....

yermom
5/1/2006, 10:03 AM
when did we decide that immigrants in general weren't really welcome anymore?

it's not like it's easy for the white and/or English speaking ones either

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 10:03 AM
Then why did he make them inferior to us smart, brave, hard-working Americans? Especially since they're a lot more religious than we are.

I know! It's because they're Catholics, right??

He didn't make them do anything. Since God's decision to simply kick Adam and Eve out of the garden instead of destroying them and starting over, man has had free will.

Our ancestors used their free will to shape a great country. The Mexicans use theirs to come to American illegally. It's easier to freeload off of the American taxpayer than to actually change their own country.

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 10:06 AM
Making this a race issue is stupid.

And its not about immigrants, its about ILLEGALS BREAKING THE LAW!

mdklatt
when did we decide that immigrants in general weren't really welcome anymore?

They should have closed the door one day after my ancestors arrived at Ellis Island.

JohnnyMack
They do pay taxes, just not income tax--which makes them just like quite a few rich Americans....

I work and I pay taxes.

I speak English.

These are things people that live in America do.

My paternal Grandmother immigrated here from Austria. She learned to speak English because she had to.

What's so hard about this?

I don't care if you want to live here, but pull your own weight like the rest of us.

As far as I'm concerned this isn't only about Mexicans, I feel the same way about any person who wants to come to America. The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution and the Bill of Rights are written in English. Last I checked anyway.

leavingthezoo
Honestly, having been down there and experiencing non-tourist Mexico, I doubt there will ever be a public revolt.

why should there be when they can capture our own governments attention in America?

and if they're too stupid, and whatever else you said, then what does that say about us? our government has laws on the books about illegal immigration, but are still debating just how much amnesty to grant.

seems to me the smart mexican jumps the border. and we certainly have proof there isn't just one. ;)

yermom
5/1/2006, 10:07 AM

IMO most of our "race issues" are based on poverty or culture anyway

IronSooner
5/1/2006, 10:08 AM
Carlos Mencia did a great standup on immigration. Granted the "european-americans" are much farther removed from europe than the mexicans are from mexico, but his premise was that it wasn't hard to get a white person to say europe sucks. But good luck getting a mexican to say mexico sucks. Yet they continue to come up here in droves because their country does, in fact, suck, and they don't want to do anything about it outside mailing checks back to their families. Why is this?

leavingthezoo
5/1/2006, 10:09 AM

i've been waiting for this day. i actually agree with Tuba. no one wants to line up legal immigrants and send them away... the emphasis should be on illegal. not immigrant. those who switch the emphasis are trying to make it about race. and that's. just. weak.

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 10:09 AM
IMO most of our "race issues" are based on poverty or culture anyway

Ya Think?

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 10:10 AM

I agree, but that's what it is. The real issue is the "illegal" aspect, but most people seem to have problems with the "immigrant" aspect as well: I wouldn't have a problem if they'd just pay their taxes and quit acting so Mexican...

IronSooner
5/1/2006, 10:10 AM

This is what so many that are already here seem to be missing. Plenty have gone about it the right way, made it up here legally, worked very hard and done fine. Why don't they encourage others to do so as well? Nobody said they couldn't come in.

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 10:13 AM
Who has a problem with the Immigrant side of this MDK? I don't know ANYONE who does.

Seems the only people making this a race issue are people like you, unjustly accusing people of being racists who want the damn law enforced.

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't have a problem if they'd just pay their taxes and quit acting so Mexican...

SPEAK FU*KING ENGLISH!

You wanna live here? Guess what, we speak English here, don't like that? Go the fu*k home.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 10:16 AM
I work and I pay taxes.

I speak English.

These are things people that live in America do.

Illegal immigrants pay taxes--they pay more taxes than people who qualify for EIC. And they don't get benefits like SS or Medicaid.

My paternal Grandmother immigrated here from Austria. She learned to speak English because she had to.

What's so hard about this?

German to English isn't as hard as a Romance language to English, actually. How long did it take her to learn English? Did she ever speak German at home?

I don't care if you want to live here, but pull your own weight like the rest of us.

Tell this to the welfare recipients.

As far as I'm concerned this isn't only about Mexicans, I feel the same way about any person who wants to come to America. The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution and the Bill of Rights are written in English. Last I checked anyway.

So illegal immigrants from Canada, England, or Australia are okay? They spell some their words funny, but they still speak English.

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 10:17 AM
You know, I don't even care if they speak English or not. JUST GET HERE LEGALLY!!!

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 10:18 AM
SPEAK FU*KING ENGLISH!

You wanna live here? Guess what, we speak English here, don't like that? Go the fu*k home.

Seems the only people making this a race issue are people like you, unjustly accusing people of being racists who want the damn law enforced.

The law that says we have to speak English?

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 10:19 AM
saying illegals pay more in taxes is stupid MDK. They don't pay income tax, property tax, capital gains, etc etc etc.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 10:21 AM
You know, I don't even care if they speak English or not.

Why do you hate JohnnyMack? ;)

leavingthezoo
5/1/2006, 10:22 AM
So illegal immigrants from Canada, England, or Australia are okay? They spell some their words funny, but they still speak English.

when we see droves of illegal canadians, british, and australians lining the streets and demanding our laws change for them, i imagine we'd have the same response. come here legally. adapt to your environment rather than demanding the environment adapt to you. the focus seems to be on hispanics, because they are the voice doing the yelling. but all illegals fall under... um, illegals, as far as i'm concerned.

Tear Down This Wall
That's ridiculous, klatt. My wife is Mexican. She came across the border legally almost 15 years ago, filled out the paper work, waded and waited through all of the bureaucratic red tape, and got her green card. Every step legal.

It has nothing to do with skin color. It has everything to do with expecting people to obey the laws of the country they populate. Legal immigration is possible, but it's not easy. Nothing worthwhile in life is.

Finally, it's nothing more than an insult to people like my wife, who did do things legally, to allow law breakers to have the same status she worked and waited to gain. It's insane.

Granting legal status to illegals would be like giving a Ph.D. to a student after two years of junior college. Hey, the student might get a Ph.D. someday, but that's alot of work and waiting. Right? In the meantime, he could get along better in life if we just give him the Ph.D. and save everyone the trouble.

Or, how about just making M.D.'s out of everyone who takes the MCAT. I mean, they want a better life for themselves, right? But, being an M.D. takes so long. Why hassle people with the wait? Whoever wants to be a doctor, just make them a doctor.

mdklatt
saying illegals pay more in taxes is stupid MDK. They don't pay income tax, property tax, capital gains, etc etc etc.

How do they not pay property taxes? Do you think people who qualify for EITC pay a lot of capital gains taxes? :rolleyes:

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 10:23 AM
when we see droves of illegal canadians, british, and australians lining the streets and demanding our laws change for them, i imagine we'd have the same response. come here legally. adapt to your environment rather than demanding the environment adapt to you...like the Koreans and Vietnamese have done.

Fixed.

leavingthezoo
5/1/2006, 10:25 AM
Fixed.

right. heh. i went back and clarified. ;)

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 10:26 AM
when we see droves of illegal canadians, british, and australians lining the streets and demanding our laws change for them, i imagine we'd have the same response

This is only the extreme element, as with any protesters.

adapt to your environment rather than demanding the environment adapt to you.

Most illegal immigrants do this.

jeremy885
5/1/2006, 10:26 AM
Illegal immigrants pay taxes--they pay more taxes than people who qualify for EIC. And they don't get benefits like SS or Medicaid.

Maybe that fact that they are here IILEGALLY has something to do with it.

German to English isn't as hard as a Romance language to English, actually. How long did it take her to learn English? Did she ever speak German at home?

My wife is Russian and I think for her to learn English was a lot harder than for an average Mexican.

How many are there in the US? Like maybe 10K? If there was only 10K in illegal Mexicans, we wouldn't have this problem.

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 10:27 AM

The lawn guy who gets paid in cash or the nanny who gets cash, they pay taxes? The vegetable picker who works as a day laborer in California and gets paid under the table pays taxes? I call bullsh*t on that. You can't possibly be that naive. Those are untaxed dollars that are being sent back to Mexico. That's what I have a huge problem with.

Since I was around 60 or so years from being born I can't answer that question. I know she said to both me and my dad on countless occassions that the kids at school didn't like her accent and that she worked very hard to speak flawless english.

Tell this to the welfare recipients.

As United States citizens, under the current laws they are entitled to that. Doesn't mean I like it, but they are citizens.

Weaksauce. You keep trying to make this about race when I'd be saying the same thing if Asian immigrants were protesting this way. It isn't about race, it's about having a set of rules and having the balls to play by them. Not cowing down before every single special interest group or minority because you're afraid you might offend someone.

GDC
5/1/2006, 10:28 AM

What about Cherokee speakers? They were here before the English speakers.

IronSooner
5/1/2006, 10:29 AM
It has everything to do with expecting people to obey the laws of the country they populate. Legal immigration is possible, but it's not easy. Nothing worthwhile in life is.

Finally, it's nothing more than an insult to people like my wife, who did do things legally, to allow law breakers to have the same status she worked and waited to gain.

This is what I don't get. If I had taken all that trouble to get here legally, I'd expect others to do the same, not run around to the back and open the window for the lazier ones to climb in through. But I guess everyone wants to get hung up on the "immigrant" part of rather than the "illegal" part because the race card brings so much more attention.

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 10:30 AM

I hate you. :mad:

;)

leavingthezoo
5/1/2006, 10:30 AM
Most illegal immigrants do this.

oh. then that explains why you increase your chances of employment greatly by being bilingual.

i don't know what's it like in the rest of America, because i'm not in the rest of America on a daily basis, but no, it's isn't true for the area i live. if it were, i most likely wouldn't be so bent out of shape about this.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 10:32 AM
Granting legal status to illegals would be like giving a Ph.D. to a student after two years of junior college.

This would be a great analogy if we granted Ph.Ds to people just because they were born on the right of the Red River.

If our economy is as great as the Republicans claim it is we need as many immigrants as we can get. We also need them and their children to pay into the pyramid scheme that is SS, becuase I don't see anybody in Washington making a serious effort to reform that bitch. I hate the idea of rewarding illegal behavior, but if amnesty is the most practical solution then that's what we need to do.

49r
5/1/2006, 10:32 AM
Xenophobia is a dangerous disease. As soon as you begin to fear things that are alien to you, it's over.

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 10:33 AM
Look, there's something we as Ticket P1's in Dallas can all do. Instead of hiring a truck full of Mexicans to mow the lawn, hire a neighborhood kid. That's the way it was done when we were growing up.

Honestly, how many people here dragged your lawnmower around the neighborhood asking to mow people's lawns. Where I grew up, there we two sets whom I will call The Brother and the Other Kid.

The Brothers worked as a team and could do a pretty good number of lawns in a day. The Other Kid was a lone wolf, but pretty quick with his Briggs and Stratton-powered Sears machine. For years these two went at it.

I went to high school and college with Other Kid. He made enough money mowing lawns from grade school on up that he bought a sports car and put himself through college.

Now, I never see kids out dragging their mowers around the neighborhood anymore. But, I always see truck full of Mexicans. Come on, now, P1s...where's your love for the young entrepreneur?

Truck full of Mexicans.

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 10:34 AM
Look, there's something we as Ticket P1's in Dallas can all do. Instead of hiring a truck full of Mexicans to mow the lawn, hire a neighborhood kid. That's the way it was done when we were growing up.

Honestly, how many people here dragged your lawnmower around the neighborhood asking to mow people's lawns. Where I grew up, there we two sets whom I will call The Brother and the Other Kid.

The Brothers worked as a team and could do a pretty good number of lawns in a day. The Other Kid was a lone wolf, but pretty quick with his Briggs and Stratton-powered Sears machine. For years these two went at it.

I went to high school and college with Other Kid. He made enough money mowing lawns from grade school on up that he bought a sports car and put himself through college.

Now, I never see kids out dragging their mowers around the neighborhood anymore. But, I always see truck full of Mexicans. Come on, now, P1s...where's your love for the young entrepreneur?

Truck full of Mexicans.

We have a neighborhood kid that cuts our lawn. When I'm not doing it. :mad: Stupid lawn.

leavingthezoo
5/1/2006, 10:35 AM

yeah, but did they refuse to shop for a day? therein lies the problem. :D

TopDaugIn2000
5/1/2006, 10:38 AM
Now, I never see kids out dragging their mowers around the neighborhood anymore.

they got nintendo to play, yo

49r
5/1/2006, 10:38 AM
yeah, but did they refuse to shop for a day? therein lies the problem. :D

No, but we changed the national anthem to english...I'll bet that REALLY ticked them off!

TexasLidig8r
5/1/2006, 10:39 AM
SPEAK FU*KING ENGLISH!

No lo comprendo. No hablo ingles. Por favor, habla espanol?

Donde esta la zapateria?

Cuantos las ropas Zegna y Canali amigo?

leavingthezoo
5/1/2006, 10:43 AM
No, but we changed the national anthem to english...I'll bet that REALLY ticked them off!

i'm sure it did. but are we really comparing "you have the option to come to America legally" with "give me your land?" because... if we are, my dog won't fight. he sees a tremendous difference.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 10:44 AM
The lawn guy who gets paid in cash or the nanny who gets cash, they pay taxes?

Sales tax, property tax, gasoline tax, alcohol tax, tobacco tax....

Do you know what the EITC is? Some people who qualify for that get a refund larger than the amount of income tax they paid in the first place. Illegal immigrants pay more in taxes than these people do. Not to mention everybody who can afford a really good tax attorney.

You keep trying to make this about race when I'd be saying the same thing if a different category of non-white immigrants were protesting this way.

;)

It isn't about race, it's about having a set of rules and having the balls to play by them.

There is no rule that you have to speak English in this country, so why do keep bringing that up?

I don't think the government should conduct any business in any language other than English, but if businesses want to cater to an expanded clientele by offering bilingual services why should I care?

OhU1
5/1/2006, 10:45 AM
I find it amusing that referring to a person from Mexico as a Mexican is viewed as an insult or maybe even a "racist" term.

If illegals "walk out" today they should not be allowed to walk back in. I would not mind the short term "pain" of some higher prices for items that are now artificially less expensive due to illegal labor.

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 10:46 AM
This would be a great analogy if we granted Ph.Ds to people just because they were born on the right of the Red River.

If our economy is as great as the Republicans claim it is we need as many immigrants as we can get. We also need them and their children to pay into the pyramid scheme that is SS, becuase I don't see anybody in Washington making a serious effort to reform that bitch. I hate the idea of rewarding illegal behavior, but if amnesty is the most practical solution then that's what we need to do.

The comparison isn't between native born and immigrants. It's between people who are striving toward a goal. Here, the goal is legal status in America.

There are two camps of immigrants. The first are those like my wife, who played by the rules and got here legally and earned legal status. The second are those who don't want to take the time and effort to do it legally.

Those who push amnesty want to give the second group something for free that the first group worked and sacrificed to earn. It's not right. Legal immigration is possible. Illegal immigration is skirting the law and shouldn't be rewarded.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 10:49 AM
Legal immigration is possible.

Then apparently we need to make it easier.

Mongo
5/1/2006, 10:51 AM
Then apparently we need to make it easier

Its difficult for a reason. If we just line up a bunch of immigrant prospects and assign SS #'s, we still dont know who these people are. Terrorists, rapists, Murderers.

KABOOKIE
5/1/2006, 10:54 AM
I thought this was supposed to be a DAY WITHOUT MESSICANS?

;)

jeremy885
5/1/2006, 10:56 AM

Don't we already have one of the easiest immigration policies in the developed world?

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 10:57 AM
Its difficult for a reason. If we just line up a bunch of immigrant prospects and assign SS #'s, we still dont know who these people are. Terrorists, rapists, Murderers.

There's more to it than a background check, isn't there? Don't we have limits on the number of "unskilled" workers we let in? If so, those limits are apparently too low.

IronSooner
5/1/2006, 10:58 AM
Try immigrating to Japan. The U.S. isn't that hard to get into if you have the fortitude to go through with it.

jeremy885
5/1/2006, 11:00 AM
There's more to it than a background check, isn't there? Don't we have limits on the number of "unskilled" workers we let in? If so, those limits are apparently too low.

So what is your solution to this problem?

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 11:00 AM
Try immigrating to MEXICO!

I don't think a gringo can just go buy a house there.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 11:01 AM
Don't we already have one of the easiest immigration policies in the developed world?

If so many immigrants have to come here illegally to satisfy our economic needs than maybe it needs to be easier. Removing 12 million people (legal or illegal) from the workforce is not a good idea.

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 11:02 AM
Open borders is his solution.

He cares nothing for things such as borders, the Flag, the Nation Anthem, laws etc.

He is a common everyday progressive anarcist. It becomes more and more apparent every day. Pathetic.

jeremy885
5/1/2006, 11:03 AM
Try immigrating to MEXICO!

I don't think a gringo can just go buy a house there.

We can always copy Mexico's policy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060418/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/mexico_mistreating_migrants

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 11:05 AM
No, we can't treat OTHER people the way they treat US.

That would make us RACISTS and FACISTS.

No, we better open the borders, bend over and take it.

Only then can we be "safer" at home, and more respected in the world.

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 11:05 AM

Why should it be easy? There's already a system in place that works...if you take the time and effort to use it! It's not like there's no system in place for legal immigration.

And let me add, it's never going to be "easy" because no matter what the plan, it's going to be government administered in the hellish offices of the dreaded bureaucracy. It will be as slow, redundant, and costly as any other government thing.

Well, we've already got a slow, redundant, costly system of bureaucracy working immigration. Congress passing some half-witted legislation to dress it up and make it look prettier isn't going to change anything markedly.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 11:06 AM

We need more workers, so we let more workers into the country. Easy peasy.

Why do you people hate capitalism and economic growth?

TopDaugIn2000
5/1/2006, 11:06 AM
Try immigrating to Japan. The U.S. isn't that hard to get into if you have the fortitude to go through with it.

yeah, that would be tough. that's a much longer swim.

oh, and ;)

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 11:09 AM
Everything should be easy TDTW.

THATS THE PROGRESSIVE WAY!

Thats why many of these open border types are also socialists. Why work when the gubment can take care of you!!

Oh, and death to the white slave owning debils.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 11:10 AM
Open borders is his solution.

He cares nothing for things such as borders, the Flag, the Nation Anthem, laws etc.

He is a common everyday progressive anarcist. It becomes more and more apparent every day. Pathetic.

At least you're not calling me a liberal anymore. :rolleyes:

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 11:12 AM
I am beginning to think you are farther to the left than a typical Lib MDK.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/1/2006, 11:13 AM
Yeah Anarchy rocks, you went from a puss to a Rock and Roller....if we had friend list on here, I would definetly add you now ;)

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 11:14 AM
Klatt, let me throw something into the mix that you might agree with.

You state that perhaps we don't let enough "unskilled" laborers in. That may or may not be true. What is true, I believe, is that more and more American people and businesses try to get by on the cheap. That's why everything except my arse is "Made in China" or "Hecho en (some Spanish-speaking country other than Spain).

Yes, I know this is "The Japenese Bombed Pearl Harbor" type of information. However, I think there is enough unskilled labor in America to do the work. But, by hiring it at rates Americans will work for would mean less yachts and second houses for business owners and labor leaders.

Part of this picture was painted years ago with labor contracts that demanded too high a pay and benefit to unskilled labor. However, the pendulum has now swung the other way. The fruit of avoiding labor negotiations altogether has been borne in the illegal immigration.

(Note: I was in Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico in December. I noticed the huge truck plant GM has down there. I never see news reports about it's impending closing, but the American plants are always sweating it out)

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/1/2006, 11:17 AM
What if the Mods on here are Messican!!!! CHAOS I TELL YOU!!!!!! GET THE HEINEKENS!!!!

Scott D
5/1/2006, 11:19 AM
I want to know if Seattle got permission from william favor for the almost all caps title to the thread.

OU Adonis
5/1/2006, 11:20 AM
The law that says we have to speak English?

We need a law somewhere that declares the national language to be english.

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 11:22 AM
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/huelga002.jpg

Looks like the moonbats couldn't get anything going on their own, so why not hook up with the illegals?

Hooray for commies! GOVERNMENT CAN SOLVE ALL OUR PROBLEMS!

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 11:23 AM
You state that perhaps we don't let enough "unskilled" laborers in. That may or may not be true. What it true, I believe, is that more and more American people and businesses try to get by on the cheap.

Agreed, so let's go after the companies instead of demonizing the individuals who are just trying to take advantage of an opportunity. If we reduce the demand, the supply will quit swimming across the border.

I would be all for the status quo of wink-wink nudge-nudge regarding illegals except for one thing--border security. If we make it easier for harmless immigrants to come here legally we can free up resources to catch the people who are up to no good.

Part of this picture was painted years ago with labor contracts that demanded too high a pay and benefit to unskilled labor. However, the pendulum has now swung the other way. The fruit of avoiding labor negotiations altogether has been borne in the illegal immigration.

Agreed. Unions are counterproductive. Viva la capitalism.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 11:25 AM
We need a law somewhere that declares the national language to be english.

And then throw people in jail for speaking other languages or what?

Mjcpr
5/1/2006, 11:27 AM
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/huelga002.jpg

Looks like the moonbats couldn't get anything going on their own, so why not hook up with the illegals?

Hooray for commies! GOVERNMENT CAN SOLVE ALL OUR PROBLEMS!

If they wanted anyone to show up, they should've printed that in Spanish.

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 11:29 AM
Well, what do you expect from the commie crowd.

They aren't exactly the sharpest tools around.

Vaevictis
5/1/2006, 11:30 AM
What really bugs me about the Hispanic immigrants is that there is a rather large (majority, even) subset of the populace that doesn't want to live in America. They want to live in their country of origin, but they want the same opportunities we have here.

If you want to see what happens when you let a large concentration of Hispanic immigrants who don't want to assimilate get control of a city, go live in Miami for awhile. It revolts me. The federal government tries to return a kid to his FATHER (Elian Gonzales), and the whole city erupts in a sh*tstorm, traffic and businesses halt as Cubans flood out onto the streets, and the f*cks think they have the wherewithal to resist the return by force of arms (yes, they threatened this). The city government? Bankrupt, exclusively due to corrupt Hispanic politicians. (And yes, I mean Hispanic politicians. It may seem racist, but do a little studying and you'll find Hispanic cultures tend to be very tolerant of corruption).

Come here if you want. But assimilate when you arrive dammit. We want Americans in our country, not a bunch of foreigners who want to stay foreign.

TopDaugIn2000
5/1/2006, 11:33 AM
If they wanted anyone to show up, they should've printed that in Spanish.

yeah, then whitey wouldn't know what was going on......;)

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 11:33 AM
We need more workers, so we let more workers into the country. Easy peasy.

Why do you people hate capitalism and economic growth?

They can come to the U.S. that's fine. But what's wrong with them being documented, moving towards citizenship and paying their fair share of taxes? And don't give me the alcohol, tobacco, sales tax bs, I'm talking income tax, the big one. No technicalities, answer the question please.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 11:36 AM
Come here if you want. But assimilate when you arrive dammit. We want Americans in our country, not a bunch of foreigners who want to stay foreign.

This is why I changed my mind about a "guest worker" program. I initially thought it was a good idea when Bush (?) suggested it, but then I realized the guest workers wouldn't have any incentive to assimilate. Europe is big on guest workers, and look how that's working for them.

If we make it easier for immigrants to become legal wouldn't that make them more likely to assimilate?

Vaevictis
5/1/2006, 11:40 AM
If we make it easier for immigrants to become legal wouldn't that make them more likely to assimilate?

Not in my experience. Cubans get to stay if they get foot on dry land, and they don't want to assimilate at all.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 11:41 AM
They can come to the U.S. that's fine. But what's wrong with them being documented, moving towards citizenship and paying their fair share of taxes?

Nothing is wrong with that, but why isn't that happening? Is it too hard to come here legally, or is it too easy to come here illegally? If it's the first option, we need to change the immigration laws. If it's the second option we need to crack down on the companies who are hiring illegals.

IronSooner
5/1/2006, 11:42 AM

I highly doubt it. It seems like that would lead to migrations in the numbers to which they can form their own cliques and not need to assimilate or have any incentive to do so.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 11:46 AM
Not in my experience. Cubans get to stay if they get foot on dry land, and they don't want to assimilate at all.

First-generation immigrants always have trouble assimilating. I know there's a large population of Cubans in Florida who have been here for fifty years, but their kids and grandkids and great grandkids will become more assimilated over time. Hell, the entire planet is becoming more assimilated to American culture every day.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 11:48 AM
I highly doubt it. It seems like that would lead to migrations in the numbers to which they can form their own cliques and not need to assimilate or have any incentive to do so.

Wasn't the same thing being said 150 years ago about the European immigrants? You can go to Chicago and Boston and hardly hear a word of Irish being spoken anymore.

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 11:53 AM
Nothing is wrong with that, but why isn't that happening? Is it too hard to come here legally, or is it too easy to come here illegally? If it's the first option, we need to change the immigration laws. If it's the second option we need to crack down on the companies who are hiring illegals.

Because they have no reason to. They can come here illegally, get paid in cash, send it back across the border and never pay taxes on it. It's estimated that $20 billion was sent back to Mexico in the form of remittances in 2005. What I'd like to know is how much of that came from the United States and how much of that was taxed?

You act like you don't have a problem with these people being here and doing the work when the reality is that they are taking this money OUT of the U.S. economy and putting it IN to the Mexican economy.

If they want to be here for work, they should pay taxes on the wages they earn. Simple as that. After that they are entitled to do whatever they want with the money. Just like I am entitled to take my entire paycheck, cash it and set it on fire in my backyard if I choose. That's my right because I earned it and I paid taxes on it.

Vaevictis
5/1/2006, 11:56 AM
First-generation immigrants always have trouble assimilating. I know there's a large population of Cubans in Florida who have been here for fifty years, but their kids and grandkids and great grandkids will become more assimilated over time. Hell, the entire planet is becoming more assimilated to American culture every day.

The kids and grandkids are worse than the first gener's, in my experience. At least amongst Miami Cubans.

PhxSooner
5/1/2006, 11:58 AM
When I see an article in the AZ Republic (several months back) that interviews a woman who will only shop, bank (I remember this specifically), etc, where she only has to speak Spanish, then I wonder about this belief of assimilation.

And not all of the illegals are coming here to work. Drug running has gotten worse on the border, and it's gotten more violent. Tell a rancher down in Douglas that this is wonderful, when he sees his cattle killed and water lines cut by people crossing the border.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 12:05 PM
And not all of the illegals are coming here to work. Drug running has gotten worse on the border, and it's gotten more violent. Tell a rancher down in Douglas that this is wonderful, when he sees his cattle killed and water lines cut by people crossing the border.

If the laborers could cross the border at checkpoints it would make it easier to catch the drug smugglers and terrorists crossing elsewhere.

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 12:05 PM
Agreed, so let's go after the companies instead of demonizing the individuals who are just trying to take advantage of an opportunity. If we reduce the demand, the supply will quit swimming across the border.

I would be all for the status quo of wink-wink nudge-nudge regarding illegals except for one thing--border security. If we make it easier for harmless immigrants to come here legally we can free up resources to catch the people who are up to no good.

Agreed. Unions are counterproductive. Viva la capitalism.

Good ideas. I think you've got to hit everything - the corporations, the labor leaders, the illegals, and the border.

To me, labor agreements are not in and of themselves evil things. However, when their provision eventually destroy American industries (Bethlehem Steel, for example...maybe GM soon) and create the underground labor force, there is a problem that need to be honestly addressed by labor leaders and business.

The underground labor has over time begun to eat away at budgets of the big cities they populate - schools, hospitals, law enforcement and judicial. It's all coming to a head now.

Also, this brand of immigrant is very different from the European immigrants from past generations and even the recent Asian immigrants. The European and Asian immigrants were generally more educated and pushed their kids to excel in the American education system.

Too many of the illegal immigrants from Mexico are illiterate even in their own language! The people who work on my wife's family's ranch in Guanajuato have worked for them for at least two generations. The little communities around the ranch are full of people who drop out of school before the age of ten to work on ranches or farms.

It's a huge problem that we can't let our stupid politicians just gloss over with cursory language meant to simply placate both sides. Fundamental change must occur.

To me, it's as simple as enforcing the laws already on the books and not bowing to the NEA and their demands to teach hispanic kids in Spanish. It's not helping them as their drop out rates attest. A large population of Hispanics illiterate in both Spanish and English will not make for a pretty future here in America.

While the subject is hot, the politicians need to hit it. This can't be like Social Security finding problems that get passed from Congress to Congress to Congress, from President to President to President.

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 12:06 PM
I predict that this day will do nothing but cause traffic in the area where these people 'protest' and release a lot of noise pollution.

This is just an extended siesta! ;)

PhxSooner
5/1/2006, 12:08 PM
If the laborers could cross the border at checkpoints it would make it easier to catch the drug smugglers and terrorists crossing elsewhere.
I agree that this would help, but the AZ border has seen an increase of traffic with the border crackdown at San Diego. The border here is mostly made up of private ranches, and is unbelievably desolate. You could never have enough checkpoints to stop illegal traffic, worker or drug runner.

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 12:08 PM
Because they have no reason to. They can come here illegally, get paid in cash, send it back across the border and never pay taxes on it. It's estimated that $20 billion was sent back to Mexico in the form of remittances in 2005. What I'd like to know is how much of that came from the United States and how much of that was taxed?

The remittances should be taxed. And when they are, Western Union and other should be penalized for not collecting the tax just like employers are penalized for not keeping up their employees' FICA, SS, etc.

The solutions are so easy, it boggles the mind that politicians don't see them. Hello, McFly...untaxed billions are going out the backdoor through Western Union, etc. Do something about it, please.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 12:25 PM
You act like you don't have a problem with these people being here and doing the work when the reality is that they are taking this money OUT of the U.S. economy and putting it IN to the Mexican economy.

Am I the only one here that took economics in high school?

If we're really at full employment right now, than illegal immigrants are doing jobs that otherwise would be unfilled. An unfilled job represents salary that is not being circulated--you know what the multiplier effect is, don't you? $15,000 of untaxed salary does more good than $0 at any tax rate. If the choice is between an illegal immigrant doing a job and that job not existing, which is better for the economy?

Why do so many businesses cater to Spanish speakers now? Because their money spends the same as everybody else's. There are a lot of Mexicans living in my apartment complex now, and surely not all of them are legal. Their presence has in part lowered the apartment vacancy rate in Norman to the point where new apartments are being built like crazy. And all that construction of course leads to new jobs. One less immigrant would be one less apartment being built in Norman.

GDC
5/1/2006, 12:27 PM
I had an A+ Hispanic student waste a year of perfect attendance today.

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 12:29 PM
I had an A+ Hispanic student waste a year of perfect attendance today.

:les: NO SOPAPILLA FOR YOU!

Guess he wasn't that smart to begin with... ;)

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 12:30 PM
I agree that this would help, but the AZ border has seen an increase of traffic with the border crackdown at San Diego. The border here is mostly made up of private ranches, and is unbelievably desolate. You could never have enough checkpoints to stop illegal traffic, worker or drug runner.

If the workers can cross at legal checkpoints, the signal-to-noise ratio of bad guys crossing the border elsewhere is much higher.

GDC
5/1/2006, 12:43 PM
Did you hear about the new Mexican-soul food restaurant?

It's called "Nacho Mama".

royalfan5
5/1/2006, 12:44 PM
In regards to the time it takes to assimilate. With my family on both sides, they were farmers in Germany. They came to America, where they lived in communities with other farmers from Germany, and spoke German to each other for the most part. The children learned English in school and the parents picked up from that, but church services were conducted in German only until the 1940's and 1950's. They continued to eat traditional German foods and follow other German traditions, and we do a lot of this to this day. The first generation will likely never fully assimilate no matter what you do, and what laws you pass. The second generation will assimilate more, especially if they move onto other fields ouutside of the industry's immigrants are involved in now. Eventually assimilation will pick up if immigration slows down.

OU Adonis
5/1/2006, 12:45 PM
And then throw people in jail for speaking other languages or what?

Nope. Just mandate that all business and government functions to be done in English only. That should be penalty enough.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 12:51 PM
Also, this brand of immigrant is very different from the European immigrants from past generations and even the recent Asian immigrants. The European and Asian immigrants were generally more educated and pushed their kids to excel in the American education system.

"Bring me your poor, your huddled masses..."

Poor people are undereducated no matter where they're from. Don't all parents want their kids to do better than they did? Wouldn't an uneducated parent be more likely to emphasize the value of an education? And if I watched parents working 80 hours/week washing dishes or something, I'd sure as hell be more motivated to do well in school.

All the shiftless Mexicans stay home. The ones we get are the ones who are motivated enough for a better life to risk their lives walking across a freaking desert just to get a ****ty job. These people have no concept of a welfare state. They're going to push their kids to succeed once they're here.

Ironically, once they become legal they probably will qualify for welfare and might not be so eager to work....

The people who work on my wife's family's ranch....

Is your wife's family farily well off, at least by Mexican standards? If so, there's a big difference between her immigration experience and those of the illegals.

To me, it's as simple as enforcing the laws already on the books and not bowing to the NEA and their demands to teach hispanic kids in Spanish. It's not helping them as their drop out rates attest. A large population of Hispanics illiterate in both Spanish and English will not make for a pretty future here in America.

There has to be some transition to English, but I agree that Spanish-only classes are dumb.

This can't be like Social Security finding problems that get passed from Congress to Congress to Congress, from President to President to President.

Good luck with that. :(

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/1/2006, 12:51 PM
What they need to do is hire people to investigate employers and make sure they are hiring legal employees. Then they need to fine them amounts that will genuinelly destroy them(unless they are Wal Mart) You fine one business 1 million or 2 million dollars for illegal employees and see how long they hire illegal workers.

boomersooner28
5/1/2006, 12:54 PM
I saw a messican today....and talked to another on the phone....uh oh.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 12:55 PM
Just mandate that all business and government functions to be done in English only.

Communist.

I agree that the government shouldn't go out if its way to do business in anything but English, but why restrict businesses from making money?

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 12:56 PM
I saw a messican today....and talked to another on the phone....uh oh.

If NMM is like NHT I think that will get you a three-day baning.

jeremy885
5/1/2006, 12:56 PM
The first generation will likely never fully assimilate no matter what you do, and what laws you pass.

My wife hasn't had a problem. She's become pretty American with the mall shopping, credit card bills, and expecting me to pay for it all.

royalfan5
5/1/2006, 12:59 PM
My wife hasn't had a problem. She's become pretty American with the mall shopping, credit card bills, and expecting me to pay for it all.
I think being married to an established citizen makes assimilation alot easier. If you were both Russian immigrants do you think assimilation would have went as well, particularly if you lived near a large immigrant Russian community?

frankensooner
5/1/2006, 01:03 PM
Out in front of the Oklahoma State CapItol, they have a dj set up and about two-dozen people milling about. I am so glad I finally got to hear that lovey new rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 01:05 PM
Am I the only one here that took economics in high school?

If we're really at full employment right now, than illegal immigrants are doing jobs that otherwise would be unfilled. An unfilled job represents salary that is not being circulated--you know what the multiplier effect is, don't you? $15,000 of untaxed salary does more good than $0 at any tax rate. If the choice is between an illegal immigrant doing a job and that job not existing, which is better for the economy?

These aren't manufacturing type jobs that will simply vanish. These are jobs like lawn maintenance, nannies, vegetable pickers, etc. that wouldn't simply vanish if they were no illegal immigrants. You think lawns simply wouldn't get mowed? How retarded does that sound? Of course it would get done. But if AAA Lawn Service weren't able to pay the illegals cash off the books or ABC Veggie Co. weren't able to pay illegals cash off the books they'd have to hire someone to do the work. They hire illegals because illegals are so desperate to work, they'll undercut the current workforce's wage. In turn the owners of the companies don't have to pay taxes on the employees. I can't believe you're so naive as to think this isn't rampant in our country.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/1/2006, 01:12 PM
My problem isnt that they are taking these lower priced minimum wage jobs. I know South Park isn't real but there is a little bit of truth to what they said in their immigration episode. What is to stop them from taking teaching jobs because the schools can pay them even less money and with the influx of Spanish only speaking people, it might be more valuable to have an actual spanish speaking person who might not be qualified. When they start taking Middle Class jobs is when all of the liberals are going to start crying.

TopDaugIn2000
5/1/2006, 01:14 PM
Out in front of the Oklahoma State CapItol, they have a dj set up and about two-dozen people milling about. I am so glad I finally got to hear that lovey new rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.

that's probably even better than my hearing the Macarena early this morning at the carwash.

1stTimeCaller
5/1/2006, 01:15 PM
The drywall folks didn't show up today, a few electricians and sheet metal guys did. All 15 masons showed up. The two mexicans that work for the company that I work for showed up.

TopDaugIn2000
5/1/2006, 01:16 PM
most of ours did. but they were threatened.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 01:16 PM
I can't believe you're so naive as to think this isn't rampant in our country.

I can't believe you're so naive to think that having people here making and spending money is bad for the economy just because the government doesn't get their hands on 30% of it. What government services are illegals receiving that they're not paying for? They're not eligible for all the stuff that income tax pays for anyway. I guess they do get national defense for free, but I'm willing to make up the difference on that.

Wage deflation is a seperate issue from taxes.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 01:21 PM
What is to stop them from taking teaching jobs because the schools can pay them even less money and with the influx of Spanish only speaking people, it might be more valuable to have an actual spanish speaking person who might not be qualified.

If they can provide more value at the job than a certified teacher, than I suppose the certified teachers better get on the ball and learn Spanish. It's not like they don't have the spare time.

Seriously, why do you people hate capitalism?

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 01:22 PM
I can't believe you're so naive to think that having people here making and spending money is bad for the economy just because the government doesn't get their hands on 30% of it. What government services are illegals receiving that they're not paying for? They're not eligible for all the stuff that income tax pays for anyway. I guess they do get national defense for free, but I'm willing to make up the difference on that.

If they get their hands on 30% of your money, why the hell shouldn't they get their hands on 30% of the immigrants money? Where's the line drawn?

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/1/2006, 01:26 PM
What exactly do you do MdKlatt and what happens when they can do your job cheaper.....

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 01:31 PM
Just for the record...

I went to Jack In The Box for lunch today and the whole freaking operation was being run by what appeared to be Mexicans. The one in the drive-through was very, very hot.

I suggest all single men in Dallas inclined toward exotic looking Mexican women who speak a-good broken English hit the jack In The Box on Inwood Road just north of the medical school and next to Taco Bell.

Hot Jack In The Box Drive-Through Mexican Girl appears to be in her early 20s. My guess is she believes in Jesus, too. Bonus.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 01:32 PM
If they get their hands on 30% of your money, why the hell shouldn't they get their hands on 30% of the immigrants money? Where's the line drawn?

All things being equal, I would prefer that everybody was a legal citizen and paid their taxes. However, Mexican immigrants still contribute to the economy even if they don't pay taxes. To argue that illegal immigrants need to be rounded up because they don't pay taxes and drain money from the economy is just not accurate. If the choice is between having them here illegally and not having them here at all, the best choice for the economy is to have them here illegally. Maybe--I'm not sure how wage deflation fits into all this.

Of course, there are issues beyond economic concerns.

Scott D
5/1/2006, 01:33 PM
all of you are ignoring the important issue.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/1/2006, 01:35 PM
all of you are ignoring the important issue.

That Mexican girls are hott?

Ike
5/1/2006, 01:38 PM
my local mickey-d's was staffed by all white dudes today. usually when I go there, its all messicans.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 01:39 PM
What exactly do you do MdKlatt and what happens when they can do your job cheaper.....

I'm a research meteorologist. If somebody can provide more value at my job than I can, then I guess I'm screwed.

Let's make a distinction here. If illegal immigrants were taking jobs from citizens I would have a problem with that because their tax-free status gives them an unfair advantage. However, the pubz keep telling us we're at "full employment" so I'm thinking that the illegals are taking jobs that otherwise wouldn't exist. If we want to kick out all the illegals and force all the shiftless Americans on welfare to take those jobs instead I would support that, too.

Scott D
5/1/2006, 01:41 PM
That Mexican girls are hott?

while an important issue worth investigating...no.

We need to do something against this infestation of topics in all caps or nearly all caps before it becomes a problem worse than immigration stupidity. :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/1/2006, 01:49 PM
WOW FOOL YOU IS LOKING FOR A BATE DOWN!!!11@!!! I CAP PIMPING DONW TO A sCIENCE!!!!!1111!!!!&^

:P

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 01:51 PM
To argue that illegal immigrants need to be rounded up because they don't pay taxes and drain money from the economy is just not accurate.

I never said that that was a viable option.

Of course, there are issues beyond economic concerns.

That just a veiled attempt at calling me a racist?

OU Adonis
5/1/2006, 01:57 PM

Why should I have to pay income tax if they dont?

OU Adonis
5/1/2006, 02:05 PM
Communist.

I agree that the government shouldn't go out if its way to do business in anything but English, but why restrict businesses from making money?

Why should we have environmental standards? It cuts into business profit.

Why must we have labor laws? It cuts into business profits.

Why must we have minimum wages? It cuts into business profits.

FYI Communism is really a politcal sytem.

frankensooner
5/1/2006, 02:09 PM
One of the BIG areas that the illegals are hurting us, the taxpayers is their medical care.

It would amaze you at the percentage of beds in our NICUs are currently occupied by the children of illegals. These people get absolutely no prenatal care and their children often require long stays in NICU which us the tax-payers end up paying for in the end. Children's Hospital in OKC has to employ translators so that the parents can be kept informed of their children's condition.

OklahomaTuba
5/1/2006, 02:14 PM
Are the illegals boycotting the NICU today franken?

frankensooner
5/1/2006, 02:16 PM
Are the illegals boycotting the NICU today franken?
My guess would be no.

SeattleOUstudent
5/1/2006, 02:17 PM
Just for the record...

I went to Jack In The Box for lunch today and the whole freaking operation was being run by what appeared to be Mexicans. The one in the drive-through was very, very hot.

I suggest all single men in Dallas inclined toward exotic looking Mexican women who speak a-good broken English hit the jack In The Box on Inwood Road just north of the medical school and next to Taco Bell.

Hot Jack In The Box Drive-Through Mexican Girl appears to be in her early 20s. My guess is she believes in Jesus, too. Bonus.

Just for the record, statements like this are useless without pics! TIA

LilSooner
5/1/2006, 02:25 PM
They should stay home every day. I saw gas for $2.59 in Moore.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 02:37 PM
I never said that that was a viable option.

I was talking more about paying taxes, not rounding them up. If your only beef is the fact that they don't pay taxes, that's not as big a problem as you think.

That just a veiled attempt at calling me a racist?

No.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 02:40 PM
These people get absolutely no prenatal care and their children often require long stays in NICU which us the tax-payers end up paying for in the end.

How do the public hospitals around here get funded?

colleyvillesooner
5/1/2006, 02:43 PM
Visual representation of this thread:

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/297/thmerrygoround8rd.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 02:44 PM
Visual representation of ANY SO political thread:

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/297/thmerrygoround8rd.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Fixed.

How are those Stars workin' out for ya? :D

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 02:47 PM
Just for the record, statements like this are useless without pics! TIA

Wha? You no believing me, man! :D

I'd love to take Hot Jack In The Box Drive Through Mexican Gal's picture, but they'd probably call the police. Think about it...man in his late 30s walks into a Jack In The Box and starts snapping pictures of the help....

Actually, they'd probably think I was immigration and run....

Either way, a bad scene. Just trust me. Like Hank, Jr. sang, "I'm a pretty fair judge of the opposite sex..."

colleyvillesooner
5/1/2006, 02:48 PM
Fixed.

How are those Stars workin' out for ya? :D

Fine, di*k. :D

Tear Down This Wall
5/1/2006, 02:56 PM
Dadgum Stars! WTF? How much further can Tippett and Turco shove their heads up their arses? I mean how much further, ya'll? Tippitt needs to get a grip next year or he'll find himself behind the bench with the Houston Aeros again. Commie pinko taco-hating dog belly scratcher.

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 03:02 PM
Why should we have environmental standards? It cuts into business profit.

Why must we have labor laws? It cuts into business profits.

Why must we have minimum wages? It cuts into business profits.

So preventing a company from seeking out a new customer base is the same as preventing them from dumping mercury in the water or something?

JohnnyMack
5/1/2006, 03:17 PM
Fine, di*k. :D

http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/2176/10holeaugustanational.jpg

Mjcpr
5/1/2006, 03:18 PM
If they have demonstrations in your area, keep us posted as to their scope and scale

TIA
I can hear horns and whatnot from the group in Tulsa. My boss thinks there are less than 1,000.

tulsaoilerfan
5/1/2006, 03:19 PM
I had a gal that is the manager at one of my stores take off today in protest; didn't know she had any messican in her.:D

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 03:30 PM
most of ours did. but they were threatened.

Kudos to your company!

Unless you live in Queensland, Australia or the UK, today ain't no holiday.

Get back to work!

colleyvillesooner
5/1/2006, 03:31 PM
http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/2176/10holeaugustanational.jpg

pwned! ;)

Edit: picture works now. Very original.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/1/2006, 03:35 PM
I'm a research meteorologist. If somebody can provide more value at my job than I can, then I guess I'm screwed.

Let's make a distinction here. If illegal immigrants were taking jobs from citizens I would have a problem with that because their tax-free status gives them an unfair advantage. However, the pubz keep telling us we're at "full employment" so I'm thinking that the illegals are taking jobs that otherwise wouldn't exist. If we want to kick out all the illegals and force all the shiftless Americans on welfare to take those jobs instead I would support that, too.

We are pretty much at full employment. Meaning there are some lazy a$$e$ that wouldn't work for anything and don't want to work.

What no one has discussed, is that these jobs the illegals are taking may possibly be jobs 'Mericnas would do if the illegals hadn't depressed the wage for that job down so low... The illegals have taken over the mowing mafia here in Houston. As a teenager back in the day, I used to mow a few lawns a week for spending money. I remember getting about $15-20 dollars per lawn. Back in the day that was big money...However, today, it would be like charging 30 or 40 dollars. The teenagers can't compete agianst that, so we are left with the illegal mowing mafia. BTW, I refused to let anyone do my lawm, so I am not adding to the illegal mafia...

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 03:35 PM
To argue that illegal immigrants need to be rounded up because they don't pay taxes and drain money from the economy is just not accurate.

It has nothing to do with not paying taxes or draining the money. It all has to do with breaking the law and entering into the United States of America illegally.

How come people don't cry foul when Cubans swim across to Miami, get picked up along the way and are escorted back to Cuba? Because that's the law. How is Mexico any different?

TheHumanAlphabet
5/1/2006, 03:38 PM
I had a gal that is the manager at one of my stores take off today in protest; didn't know she had any messican in her.:D

Did ya fire her a$$?

GDC
5/1/2006, 03:39 PM
Some of you need to rent and watch the movies Lone Star and The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

Mjcpr
5/1/2006, 03:40 PM
I can hear horns and whatnot from the group in Tulsa. My boss thinks there are less than 1,000.

ECONOMIC IMPACT THOUGHT TO BE IN THE DOZENS OF DOLLARS!

DeadSolidPerfect
5/1/2006, 03:46 PM
Here's the deal...the only way for the no work/shop thing to work is if the illegals never work or spend another dollar in America again. To do that, they'd have to leave the country, something they won't do. So, they accomplish nothing today other than to aggravate an American populace that is already tired of their act. Sadly, their American Hispanic leaders are too stupid to realize the backlash they continue to create.
If Mexicans knew anything about economics they would have fixed Mexico by now.:texan:

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 03:53 PM
It has nothing to do with not paying taxes or draining the money. It all has to do with breaking the law and entering into the United States of America illegally.

How come people don't cry foul when Cubans swim across to Miami, get picked up along the way and are escorted back to Cuba? Because that's the law. How is Mexico any different?

According to JohhnyMack, the problem is that they don't pay taxes and won't speak English.

If your sole beef is that they're here illegally, that's perfectly valid. We just have to figure out what economic price we're willing to pay to be rid of them. Our fondness for cheap labor has been stronger than our objection to illegal labor for the past however many years.

DeadSolidPerfect
5/1/2006, 03:57 PM
Some of you need to rent and watch the movies Lone Star and The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.
A break from reality?

TopDaugIn2000
5/1/2006, 04:00 PM
Kudos to your company!

Unless you live in Queensland, Australia or the UK, today ain't no holiday.

Get back to work!

actually, it is a holiday in Mexico. Our plant down there is shut down for the day. Labor day or something.

Kinda burned the ones up here when they figured that out too.

GDC
5/1/2006, 04:00 PM
A break from reality?

Depends. Ever live on the border?

DeadSolidPerfect
5/1/2006, 04:02 PM
I been to El Paso.

Ike
5/1/2006, 04:12 PM
I wonder if anyone has done the calculation on how much longer social security would last if we were to suddenly grant a 90 day amnesty period to all illegal aliens, during which time they would be free to apply for citizenship or green cards with no questions asked, perhaps with quotas extended, and preferences to those already holding jobs...and then of course make them all pay into the SS trust fund. seriously, it could keep that ponzi scheme going for a couple more decades I bet.

Taxman71
5/1/2006, 04:49 PM
Give preference to those who work and are under age 25 (for longer SSA payin before benefits).

Based on this article, Social Security will run out right after I reach the age of benefits. Considering I have been paying in continuously since age 18, it better get fixed or I better be given my own county (and not one in the panhandle either).

http://newsok.com/article/1831398/?template=home/main

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 04:56 PM
I'd love it if the media hadn't given any coverage to this 'protest'.

That would have been cool.

SleestakSooner
5/1/2006, 05:51 PM
Big business doesn't want them to be "legals" they would have to pay them a legitimate wage and insure them.

Illegals don't want to be legal because then the US gov would take up to a third of their wages for no real benefit to them. They already get free schooling and health care to a certain degree.

The government does not want to deal with the issue because they are too busy financing a war they fabricated and won't allocate the required funds to keep the borders more secure. Besides... having open borders allows the current regime to use the fear factor on the mindless subjects and keep them wondering who, besides Mexicans looking for work, might be walking right in to blow something up.

Sooner24
5/1/2006, 05:56 PM
They should have closed the door one day before my ancestors arrived at Ellis Island.

Fixed it for you. :D

mdklatt
5/1/2006, 06:00 PM
Fixed it for you. :D

Actually, my descendants came over on the Mayflower.

Sincerely,

Trevor Waspington Wealthystone III

Sooner24
5/1/2006, 06:04 PM
Then it was still one boat too late. ;)

Sooner24
5/1/2006, 06:05 PM
One way to recoup some of the billions of dollars being sent to Mexico would be impose a $20 or $25 fee on all money orders being sent out of the country.

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 06:30 PM
One way to recoup some of the billions of dollars being sent to Mexico would be impose a 10% fee on all money orders being sent out of the country.

fixed!

Sooner24
5/1/2006, 06:37 PM
I like your idea better then mine. :D

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 06:38 PM
I think 5 would be more readily accepted, but we can dream, right?

TheHumanAlphabet
5/1/2006, 06:38 PM
Here is what I think again...

I give props to Mrs. THA as it was her idea.

We can fix this "legal" deal right quick. We annex Mexico, make it a state, Fire Fox and all his cronies, impose our laws, i.e. make corruption illegal and prosecute corruption to the fullest. Impose the death penalty, stop the legalization of drugs and make them pay taxes. Business will improve without the corrupt government. Jobs will improve and people will no longer to move into Norte Americano...

I also see the benefit that the wall protection instantly becomes smaller and we can hire the legal illegals to build it...

sanantoniosooner
5/1/2006, 07:27 PM
12 pages of nothing accomplished.

royalfan5
5/1/2006, 07:34 PM

We can fix this "legal" deal right quick. We annex Mexico, make it a state, Fire Fox and all his cronies, impose our laws, i.e. make corruption illegal and prosecute corruption to the fullest. Impose the death penalty, stop the legalization of drugs and make them pay taxes. Business will improve without the corrupt government. Jobs will improve and people will no longer to move into Norte Americano...

I also see the benefit that the wall protection instantly becomes smaller and we can hire the legal illegals to build it...
Cause that would fix things like social security:rolleyes: , and jack our taxes even more for paying to build up mexico because it would give politicans more place to spend pork as they pander for votes, plus it would likely decimate the Mexican industrial base because their competiveness would be destroyed by US labor laws. Then we would have even more welfare cases to take care of. Plus you whould have increased spending on Ag subsidies for Mexican farmers. So it the end it would be a gigantic waste of money to annex Mexico. Mexico is slowly developing a middle class and the other manifestations of a strong democratic country. It just takes awhile, and Americans aren't renowed for their patience.

GDC
5/1/2006, 07:36 PM
We should just annex Mexico and get it over with.

OUinFLA
5/1/2006, 07:40 PM
well................we invaded iraq...........

49r
5/1/2006, 08:27 PM

OH GOOD! I've been waiting for the day the US government would make corruption illegal! :twinkies:

49r
5/1/2006, 08:29 PM

S'pose she'd like some?

Or maybe some Irish?

:D

Sooner24
5/1/2006, 10:23 PM
S'pose she'd like some?

Or maybe some Irish?

:D

She will have to wait for St Patricks Day for that. ;)

BajaOklahoma
5/1/2006, 10:34 PM
The news talked about the number of people showing up to demand their 'rights' - much smaller than anticipated.

There were quite a few who didn't show up where my husband works. A couple of them came back for the afternoon. Someone probably told them that they were 'replaced' by people from the worker's center. One of the guys, who had specifically told his boss that he would be at work on Monday, is going to be surprised when he is sent home tomorrow, without pay, for the day.

colleyvillesooner
5/1/2006, 10:40 PM
Dallas had 1500 people today at City hall. 300k to 1500. not good ;)

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 10:48 PM
Dallas had 1500 people today at City hall. 300k to 1500. not good ;)

Oh, whatever will we do without those 1500 souls! :rolleyes: ;)

GottaHavePride
5/1/2006, 10:57 PM

I like Carlos Mencia's take on that:

"If you kick all of them out, who's gonna build the wall? Here's an idea: get the illegals to build your wall and then say 'Hey! This side looks great! Go check the other side!' And then lock the gates! HA!"

pb4ou
5/1/2006, 11:37 PM
that gets a double heh
heh heh

Mjcpr
5/2/2006, 08:47 AM

TIA

Someone from the jail said there were a number of arrests for being drunk/drinking at the rally.

:texan:

Sooner24
5/2/2006, 11:55 AM
I like Carlos Mencia's take on that:

"If you kick all of them out, who's gonna build the wall? Here's an idea: get the illegals to build your wall and then say 'Hey! This side looks great! Go check the other side!' And then lock the gates! HA!"

That would only work with Aggies. :D

Tear Down This Wall
5/2/2006, 11:57 AM
Okay, here's where I completely lose it...

I'm driving into work this morning and listening to the radio (not Vince Young trying to learn a playbook, but the music/talk radio). So, I hear this statistic that meatpackers used to make $19 an hour, but now they only pay the illegals they just let walk off the job Monday to "protest" $8.50.

So Tyson and all these f'n forkhole meat packing joints have done the following:

(a) Employ lobbyist to beg for subsidies, tax breaks, and tariffs
(b) Received most of what their lobbyists asked for
(c) Turn around and hired non-Americans to do the dadgum work for less than half of what the American workers used to make!

Screw that!

I'm so sick of big business right now, I could kick a lizard! When big business got in bed with the Dems/Clinton in the 1990s, all bets were off. They already had the Republicans bought off. Now, both parties are in bed with big business, labor is still run by criminals, so they can't do anything - and, so we're where we are today...sitting here while we're screwed into believing we should just accept the eventuality of Mexicans taking over America.

Well, you know what...f'n fock the politicians. Republicans, Democrats, all of them. I've never had a real litmus test in my voting, but as of today I do. I will not vote for any candidate who is for either of the following:

(a) Amnesty for illegal aliens, no matter what they call it to try to hide the fact that it's amnesty, and
(b) Giving tax breaks to these huge companies. F'em all!

I'm telling you all, watching those law breakers in the street yesterday waving Mexican flags, and Cuban flags, and old Soviet Union flags pushed me over the edge. Call it my political epiphany.

Think about is, you all, seriously...

Who is really looking out for us?

The politicians? Hell no. Not that I ever thought they did. This just cements it.

The big business? Hell no. Here, I used to think that most of these guys were good, but now I don't think so. They move their companies off-shore, they ditch American workers for illegal aliens, they give themselves huge retirement packages.

Labor? Hell no. They so wishy-washy, they won't announce either way what they think about the whole immigration deal. Those fudgepacking thieves are just waiting to see whether or not they'll be able to squeeze "dues" out of the illegals if they are given amnesty.

I'm sick and tired of it. I quit giving money last year because of the shenanigans on a variety of issues by Voinovich, McCain, Graham, Hagel, and other cowardly GOP Senators.

I completely distance myself from W.'s immigration ideas, both political parties, and any company that publicly announced that they allowed workers to "protest" and then let them back to work on Tuesday.

F'n F!

critical_phil
5/2/2006, 12:06 PM
I will not vote for any candidate who is for either of the following:

(a) Amnesty for illegal aliens, no matter what they call it to try to hide the fact that it's amnesty, and
(b) Giving tax breaks to these huge companies. F'em all!

have fun voting on the local bond issues, cause you've excluded yourself from most everything else........

mdklatt
5/2/2006, 12:36 PM
Think about is, you all, seriously...

Who is really looking out for us?

The politicians? Hell no. Not that I ever thought they did. This just cements it.

Welcome to the Dark Side. :twinkies:

Tear Down This Wall
5/2/2006, 02:33 PM
Phil,
I don't care. I just don't fuggin' care anymore. I figure I've got - God willing - 35-45 more years of life. The people behind those bond proposals are in it for their own gain anyway. Screw them, too! Fargin' iceholes!

Klatt,
I'm not so sure it's the Dark Side. I've got some friends who have never been political. I've never understood it, but they've been happy for the most part. Going on the "ignorance is bliss" premise, I think it's probably more that they are on the Light Side. I will from now here on out attempt to bask in the ignorance that has meade them happy and carefree.

Imouttaheyaaah!

mdklatt
5/2/2006, 02:41 PM
I'm not so sure it's the Dark Side. I've got some friends who have never been political. I've never understood it, but they've been happy for the most part. Going on the "ignorance is bliss" premise, I think it's probably more that they are on the Light Side. I will from now here on out attempt to bask in the ignorance that has meade them happy and carefree.

Once you realize that both the dimz and the pubz suck equally bad and voting is just a game of Would You Rather it really ****es you off. That's the Dark Side. The next step is realizing that there's nothing you can do about it, and there's no point getting worked up about things you can't change. Let's call that the Light Side. I'm still stuck on the Dark Side.

frankensooner
5/2/2006, 02:56 PM
There are good leaders in both parties, but for the most part, they all suck eggs.