PDA

View Full Version : Festival of the Arts: Didjeridoo guy

KaiserSooner
4/30/2006, 09:33 PM
So, I finally made it out to the Arts Festival this afternoon. It was packed, as usual, but I think I'll try to stick with going there for lunch during the week rather than on the weekends.

Both food and art were good, but one of the coolest things I've ever seen there was the guy who makes, sells, and plays didjeridoos, which are those Aboriginal Australian instruments made out of hollowed tree trunks. It was awesome because if you waited around long enough, he would give an impromptu demonstration.

Anybody else see this guy? It was badass.

StoopTroup
4/30/2006, 09:38 PM
Did he look like this?

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/img/techno/didger070705.jpg

KaiserSooner
4/30/2006, 09:41 PM
Actually, he looked more like a neo-hippy from Santa Fe.

Hatfield
4/30/2006, 10:11 PM
if you like the didg you should check out Dr. Didg He is a badass.

Jimminy Crimson
4/30/2006, 10:33 PM
Yeah he was cool. I liked his ankle contraptions.

The weekend attracts more of a 'state fair' type crowd to the FotA.

Good times and good food. Oh yeah, good art, too! ;)

SeattleOUstudent
4/30/2006, 10:37 PM
Anyone else get a chance to view all the fine pieces of art?....and Im not talking about the ones hung up in the cases. ;)

I suppose a comment like this is useless without pics.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/30/2006, 10:47 PM
A friend of mine's mom is Australian. Seems like some dude played one of those at her wedding. Or not. I remember some story about it though.

soonerbrat
4/30/2006, 11:04 PM
i've seen that guy every year for the past few years...those things are so cool

KaiserSooner
4/30/2006, 11:23 PM

Yeah, those and the wood blocks he used to keep a drum-type beat...I'm no musician, so that's what it seemed like to me :D

What's also interesting, is that he makes those things out of agave, which is the same plant that produces the sap for tequila.

Yes, yes it does.

KaiserSooner
4/30/2006, 11:24 PM
i've seen that guy every year for the past few years...those things are so cool

Sheesh, I guess I've missed him the past several years, then. I don't know how though.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/30/2006, 11:25 PM

Good times and good food. Oh yeah, good art, too! ;)Outdoor events such as festivals and concerts tend to bring out a disproportionate number of mullets and fanny packs.

KaiserSooner
4/30/2006, 11:27 PM
A friend of mine's mom is Australian. Seems like some dude played one of those at her wedding. Or not. I remember some story about it though.

A didjeridoo would make for an interesting accompaniment to the Wedding March :D

Jimminy Crimson
4/30/2006, 11:31 PM
Outdoor events such as festivals and concerts tend to bring out a disproportionate number of mullets and fanny packs.

During the week, no.
At least the Festival of the Arts in good ol' OKC. Other festivals, yes.

During the weekend, the crowd is the same, but with the addition of the hippy/state fair crowd, too.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/30/2006, 11:33 PM
During the week, no.
At least the Festival of the Arts in good ol' OKC. Other festivals, yes.

During the weekend, the crowd is the same, but with the addition of the hippy/state fair crowd, too.No, during the week you have the combination business people/school kid/Goth/Punk/old people crowd

Jimminy Crimson
4/30/2006, 11:34 PM
No, during the week you have the combination business people/school kid/Goth/Punk/old people crowd

The goth/punk kids are the same as 'school kids', they're just too cool for school.
What would we do without bondage pants? :rolleyes: