PDA

View Full Version : NCAA approves 4 new bowls for next season

sooner_champak
4/30/2006, 07:04 PM
NCAA approves 31 bowl games for next season

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/04/27/bowl.games.ap/index.html

walkoffsooner
4/30/2006, 07:22 PM
Believe it or not OsU had a chance for a bowl game in 2009 sponsored by a finance company but when osu AD was asked if they would be interested in hosting a bowl game he said what's that. just kidding

OUstud
4/30/2006, 09:26 PM
"The International Bowl gives the Mid-American Conference a third bowl tie-in. The Big East also will send a team to the Jan. 7 game at the Rogers Centre. West Virginia has won three straight Big East championships and defeated Georgia 38-35 in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2."

So the Canadian game is around the title game? Shouldn't that be a December 14th game or not a game at all? Does anyone in Canada know about NCAA football?

Pricetag
5/1/2006, 01:21 PM
The International Bowl gives the Mid-American Conference a third bowl tie-in. The Big East also will send a team to the Jan. 7 game at the Rogers Centre.
Football should never be played in any stadium with "Centre" in the name.

SoonerStormchaser
5/1/2006, 03:11 PM
CANADA??? ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME???? WHO THE **** WANTS TO GO TO CANADA IN THE WINTER??

The only three things that were great from Canada were Rush, Rick Moranis and Wayne Gretzky!

RedstickSooner
5/1/2006, 03:17 PM
CANADA??? ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME???? WHO THE **** WANTS TO GO TO CANADA IN THE WINTER??

If they play the game outdoors, I'll *definitely* watch it on TV. I don't care who plays -- it'd be good television.

boomersooner82
5/1/2006, 04:17 PM
Was there ever a time where going to a bowl game meant something? I'm too young to remember.

Pricetag
5/1/2006, 04:45 PM

The only three things that were great from Canada were Rush, Rick Moranis and Wayne Gretzky!
I'll tell ya another thing: their beer sucks!

soonercody
5/2/2006, 09:24 PM
Because there aren't enough bowl games.

soonercody
5/2/2006, 09:25 PM
^^^:D :D :D
New Mexico Bowl.

BASSooner
5/2/2006, 10:27 PM
4 new bowls....sorry I thought football was supposed to be competitive.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/3/2006, 12:54 AM
If they're gonna add new bowls, they should instead JUST HAVE A FREAKIN' PLAYOFFS ALREADY!!! Theyre always bitchin' about football taking up too much of the "students'" time-so they add more stinking bowls.

Desert Sapper
5/3/2006, 01:38 AM
What is the point of the Canadian Bowl? Don't they already have the Grey Cup that 5 people go watch every year?

If they would just wake up and make the Cotton a BCS game, I'd be happy. As far as all the Poulan Weedeater bowls out there, it's good for the revenue of whatever city they are in and it makes the little guys feel good about playing in a bowl. For Boise State, BYU, and their ilk, those bowls are meaningful. For us, only BCS bowls are meaningful, and the Orange Bowl will always be our bowl (it needs to replace the Tostitos Bowl as the Bowl tie-in for the Big XII Champ), regardless of the 2005 result.

KStatePike
5/3/2006, 01:49 AM

I would definatly watch if it was a pac 10 team vs an sec team. If its outdoors, that would be classic.

Sooner95
5/3/2006, 06:58 AM
Ah fer Gods sake, just give us a DAMN PLAYOFF ALREADY!!

sooneron
5/3/2006, 10:21 AM
I guess they want to make sure that all the kids get a trophy.

Desert Sapper
5/3/2006, 10:34 AM
Yes, even little Johnny at Toledo is special.

Taxman71
5/3/2006, 01:01 PM
The three worst things from Canada were Rush, Martin Short and Celine Dion!

Fixed.

Brophog
5/3/2006, 05:34 PM
CANADA??? ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME???? WHO THE **** WANTS TO GO TO CANADA

Fixed.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/3/2006, 06:15 PM
The only thing I know about Canada...Take off you hoser

goingoneight
5/3/2006, 08:23 PM
[southpark] If you don't like four new bowls, BLAME CAN-A-DA!!!
[southpark]

HoserSooner
5/4/2006, 09:17 AM
There are actually quite a few people up here who follow NCAA sports, especially football. The three sports networks up here broadcast games year round. I'm not quite sure that I agree with the bowl game being here though. I'm a huge college football fan, but if there are two "6-5 from a crappy conferece" teams playing, then I probably wouldn't waste my money, even if the Rogers' Centre (fromerly known as SkyDome to you Yanks) is indoor. So no, the prospect of seeing a coulple of teams from California try and navigate through 4-foot drifts of snow, isn't happening.

As far as the Grey Cup goes, I don't watch it. But those that do are die hards, and it is quite rare for a Grey Cup game to not be sold out.

CincySooner
5/4/2006, 12:25 PM
meh... so what if there are 4 new bowls.... I'll watch 'em, and you know you will too.

bowl season is like collecting nuts for the winter. It's a loooooong time between the NC game of one season and the next season opener.

Brophog
5/5/2006, 08:11 PM
meh... so what if there are 4 new bowls.... I'll watch 'em, and you know you will too.

Seems to be popular opinion. We might as well schedule a 13th game and scrap the bowls. It's mathematically probable that a team will have a losing record. At 32 bowls, we had exactly enough bids last year for every non losing team to be invited.

Bowls are clearly meaningless. And, ironically, many of those with the attitude that more bowls are good are the same ones crying for the sanctity of bowls in a bowls vs playoffs debate.

Taxman71
5/7/2006, 06:32 AM
The more bowls the better. If some town and corporation want to shell out $$ and let the kids take a nice trip and play an extra game, great. If you don't care, don't watch. If your team gets in, you have something to do in December. The only logical reasoning for those who are against new bowls is because it may diminish the stature of being a "bowl team". Well, that prestige left a long time ago. The only bowl prestige left today is being in a BCS bowl.

Brophog
5/7/2006, 09:25 PM
That's right. So why do some get to play and some don't? Let's just schedule a 13th game and make everyone happy.

StoopTroup
5/7/2006, 09:27 PM
Canada Bowl Trophy

http://www.cffm-fcam.ca/Significant_Treasures/Images/169mine.jpg