PDA

View Full Version : FoxSports: Sooners in a mild slump

milesl
4/30/2006, 03:43 PM
Didnt 2 CBS sports analyst pick us as their #1 and #2 picks ?

Oklahoma: The Sooners had an off year in 2005; they were shocked by Texas Christian in the opener, dropped to 2-3 after losing to Texas and slipped off the national radar until they bounced back to beat Oregon in the Holiday Bowl. But while armchair draftniks set their snooze alarms and waited for Adrian Peterson in 2008, NFL teams were scouting the Sooners for third-round values. The Bears selected Dusty Dvoracek 73rd overall. The Browns saw third-round value in WR Travis Wilson (78th overall), even though Wilson caught just 25 passes and battled injuries as a senior.

The Jaguars picked LB Clint Ingram 80th; he was a reach at that slot but should help the team as a strong-side linebacker and special teamer. Many colleges would be proud to point to three third-round and five Day-1 picks in the NFL draft. For the Sooners, it was a sign that the program is in a mild slump.

hybridworks
4/30/2006, 04:03 PM
All that is saying is that OU is in a slump in the draft... We had only one first round draft prospect, no second round... The best FB in the NCAA went round 6... FOX is right... We will be back next year as a college and will raise draft prospects in the NFL.. Adrian Peterson will go #1 in the year that he enters the draft.

fadada1
4/30/2006, 04:25 PM
CBS sports writers pee their beds at night.

stoopified
4/30/2006, 05:25 PM
% first day picks is not a draft slump.

Scott D
4/30/2006, 05:29 PM
One day they'll get people who are capable of coherent thought to write for them. Then again, they'll continue to rely on subpar bloggers and call them Sports Journalists.

mildpussy
4/30/2006, 05:34 PM
i heard that nick is mulling over a job offer from cbs sportsline

BoomerJack
4/30/2006, 05:52 PM
Big deal. I don't believe that the purpose of OU's football program is to have a lot of its former players be high draft picks in the NFL.

BigCrimson32
4/30/2006, 06:13 PM
I wanna see as many Sooners go pro because it would be good for the league, humble players that do as they're told and believe in team effort.

Most of all I wanna see them go pro because it's great for recruiting

bobnurse
4/30/2006, 06:29 PM
All that is saying is that OU is in a slump in the draft... We had only one first round draft prospect, no second round... The best FB in the NCAA went round 6... FOX is right... We will be back next year as a college and will raise draft prospects in the NFL.. Adrian Peterson will go #1 in the year that he enters the draft.

earlier i saw a mock draft for next year and it has AD going #2. Quinn from ND will be the number 1 pick. I forget who picks first, but they had AD going to green bay as the number 2 pick.

yermom
4/30/2006, 08:28 PM
yeah... slump

how many went to the NFL after the 2000 season?

we had a ton last year, but i'm thinking it was more this year than any recent year other than that

sooneron
4/30/2006, 08:48 PM
Davin who?

goingoneight
4/30/2006, 10:15 PM
earlier i saw a mock draft for next year and it has AD going #2. Quinn from ND will be the number 1 pick. I forget who picks first, but they had AD going to green bay as the number 2 pick.

Do they really think after this year's draft that someone is gonna pick a decent quarterback over a sensational Running Back? Quinn will be good with Notre Dame, but the likelihood of someone passing up AD's multiple talents and strengths for a pocket passer is slim to none IMHO...

rhombic21
4/30/2006, 10:33 PM
You guys are ridiculous.

That was a compliment.

When you get 10 players drafted the year before, including 4 guys in the top 2 rounds, and have several players picked in the first 2 rounds the year before, and have the defensive rookie of the year picked the year before that, then yes, this year was a slump by comparison.

He wasn't saying that OU was bad and wasn't insulting the program. He was pointing out how ridiculous OU is in terms of draftable talent most of the time, and that this is one of the few years in recent memory when OU has been slightly above average, rather than ridiculous. Most schools would be in a rebuilding mode if they had 5 guys drafted on day one, and at OU, that WAS our rebuilding mode. It's a compliment, not an insult.

bri
4/30/2006, 10:43 PM
I love people who try and equate a program's success with how many NFL draft picks it produces. Florida State churns out, like, 10 draft picks per year...and they haven't really done jack sh*t since we shut down their sham "dynasty" back in 2000. :D

william_brasky
5/1/2006, 01:21 AM
yeah dudes, the article was actually a backhanded compliment.

don't give those to the ladies though. you'll get in trouble. and it's wrong.

snp
5/1/2006, 02:03 AM

Well if a mock draft a year away said so, it must be true! :rolleyes:

Haven't you seen how off Kiper was? And think about all the time he had to plan.

Desert Sapper
5/1/2006, 05:46 AM
As to the article from Fox, it feels good to have 6 guys go to the NFL in a down year. It feels even better when somebody like Fox recognizes it. We had the whole team practically bolt for the NFL last year, and we still had 6 draft picks. How is that even possible?

As to the 'Mock Draft '08', it all depends on team needs...except when it comes to AD. I can't think of a team that would be dumb enough to pass on his talent. When AD shows his true potential this year, there won't be a single team not salivating for the top pick in the draft. Let's get real.

snp
5/1/2006, 10:44 AM
As to the 'Mock Draft '08', it all depends on team needs...except when it comes to Reggie Bush. I can't think of a team that would be dumb enough to pass on his talent. When Reggie Bush shows his true potential this year, there won't be a single team not salivating for the top pick in the draft. Let's get real.

Fixed for this year.

It's too hard to speculate on the draft in a year. Who cares.

Desert Sapper
5/1/2006, 10:49 AM
Fixed for this year.

It's too hard to speculate on the draft in a year. Who cares.

I used my special crystal ball to predict that AD will have a monster year and everybody will want him in '08. Reggie Bush is great, but he's not an every down back like AD. And...uh...I care. When was the last time we had a #1 pick?

Scott D
5/1/2006, 11:29 AM
You guys are ridiculous.

That was a compliment.

When you get 10 players drafted the year before, including 4 guys in the top 2 rounds, and have several players picked in the first 2 rounds the year before, and have the defensive rookie of the year picked the year before that, then yes, this year was a slump by comparison.

He wasn't saying that OU was bad and wasn't insulting the program. He was pointing out how ridiculous OU is in terms of draftable talent most of the time, and that this is one of the few years in recent memory when OU has been slightly above average, rather than ridiculous. Most schools would be in a rebuilding mode if they had 5 guys drafted on day one, and at OU, that WAS our rebuilding mode. It's a compliment, not an insult.

Actually it shows their lack of investigation (read bed wetting bloggers). A team that is primarily filled with freshmen and sophomores isn't going to have a lot of players draftable in a given year. It's not a slump it's called being too green to be drafted.