PDA

View Full Version : The yard is finally coming together...

sooneron
4/30/2006, 03:29 PM
and the azaelas are finally in bloom. Eat your heart out TD2K! :D :D :D :D

http://img271.imageshack.us/img271/5027/azaelas4cx.jpg

http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/2609/reillyspring9ug.jpg

TopDaugIn2000
4/30/2006, 03:48 PM
lookin good. nice green grass....yes, I'm jealous

most of the weeds in my yard died from me spraying them, but I noticed today NEW ones are starting to grow. Guess I'll have to get out the sprayer again!!!! :mad:

and my garden is doing well. have blooms on my mater plants!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerk
4/30/2006, 03:54 PM
I put down crabgrass preventer back in March and that sh** is still growing, although not as much.

I wish someone would make a weed killer that obliterated everything except Bermuda.

TopDaugIn2000
4/30/2006, 03:56 PM
I put down crabgrass preventer back in March and that sh** is still growing, although not as much.

I wish someone would make a weed killer that obliterated everything except Bermuda.

I used 2,4-D Amine. it comes in a concentrated bottle from atwoods (or similar) that you mix and spray. (my boss recommended it, he uses it on his pasture) it kills any BROADLEAF weed: chickweed, dandelion, clover, etc. grass is safe.

worked really great, but I think the mess of a yard next door re-infected my yard already so I need to hit it again with spray.

Jerk
4/30/2006, 03:59 PM
I used 2,4-D Amine. it comes in a concentrated bottle from atwoods (or similar) that you mix and spray. (my boss recommended it, he uses it on his pasture) it kills any BROADLEAF weed: chickweed, dandelion, clover, etc. grass is safe.

worked really great, but I think the mess of a yard next door re-infected my yard already so I need to hit it again with spray.

hmm...wonder if it works on crabgrass. I don't think crabgrass is a broadleaf weed.

If we ever have a nuclear war, the only thing left will be coyotes, cocroaches, and crabgrass.

TopDaugIn2000
4/30/2006, 04:12 PM
is that the really thick grass clumps?

if so, no, it doesn't work. roundup is the only thing I know of to get rid of that (and then you have brown spots for a while)

walkoffsooner
4/30/2006, 06:42 PM
good job sooner Ron looks nice

Jimminy Crimson
4/30/2006, 06:43 PM

I :mad: bermuda grass.

I wish Oklahoma had laws against it.

jk the sooner fan
4/30/2006, 06:44 PM
weed and feed, should be renamed "feed your weeds"

i'm at war with my weeds, and have found that just pulling them up is the best......our azaleas are in between blooms right now, but i've planted in 4 rose bushes, have a "callie" hanging out front, and some impatiens and petunias out back which are doing really nice

good looking yard/dog there.....

i love bermuda grass! my hard is actually FUN to walk on :)

TopDaugIn2000
4/30/2006, 06:52 PM
my hard is actually FUN to walk on :)

well helloooooooooooooooo there.........

Sooner_Bob
4/30/2006, 06:55 PM
I pulled weeds today . . . I should really mow the backyard, but its a cotton-pickin' mudbog at the moment.

Maybe I'll do it when I get home from Washington, DC on Thursday . . .

proud gonzo
4/30/2006, 08:36 PM
yeah, our yard looks bad right now. tall bermuda :mad:

Ghost of Joe Don
4/30/2006, 08:50 PM
2-4D is the best to kill any broadleaf weed, plant or otherwise<CHEAP stuff> if you have tomatoes anywhere within 1/2 mile....DO NOT use 2-4D!!! They will wilt when you take it out of the car. It won't kill grass.
Roundup kills anything it's sprayed on. grass, weeds, flowers, small dogs.....
MSMA kills crabgrass, won't kill bermuda (might make it brown and sick looking but won't kill it). It might take two applications, but it is the shizzle on crabgrass.....
Weed and Feed is high priced crap. Bermuda needs Nitrogen, and more Nitrogen....and water.....healthy bermuda will crowd out weeds and crabgrass.

sooneron
4/30/2006, 08:51 PM
weed and feed, should be renamed "feed your weeds"

i'm at war with my weeds, and have found that just pulling them up is the best......our azaleas are in between blooms right now, but i've planted in 4 rose bushes, have a "callie" hanging out front, and some impatiens and petunias out back which are doing really nice

good looking yard/dog there.....

i love bermuda grass! my hard is actually FUN to walk on :)
Yeah, but nothing feels bettah than some dark cool fescue!

Jimminy Crimson
4/30/2006, 08:57 PM

what he said! it is the 'gas guzzler' of the lawn world, but it stays green fo-eva.

jk the sooner fan
4/30/2006, 08:59 PM
yeah my in laws in nebraska have fescue....i call it high maintenance grass, but it is nice to look at and walk on

sooneron
4/30/2006, 09:02 PM
what he said! it is the 'gas guzzler' of the lawn world, but it stays green fo-eva.
Whaddaya mean? I have few problems with it up here.

royalfan5
4/30/2006, 09:15 PM
yeah my in laws in nebraska have fescue....i call it high maintenance grass, but it is nice to look at and walk on
Fescue is pretty much standard every where in Nebraska, except for parts of my parents lawn is brome due to the fact that it's about 3 acres.

proud gonzo
4/30/2006, 09:18 PM
I disagree. It makes my feet itch

JohnnyMack
4/30/2006, 09:26 PM
That's one ginormous mole you've got there.

Jimminy Crimson
4/30/2006, 10:31 PM
Whaddaya mean? I have few problems with it up here.

An Oklahoma (or Texas) summer makes fescue vedy, vedy thirsty.

jk the sooner fan
4/30/2006, 10:33 PM
yeah fescue couldnt withstand the heat down here.....i had st augustine in san antonio, thought i loved it till i bought this house with the fancy bermuda

proud gonzo
4/30/2006, 11:14 PM
I want a way to kill my bermuda. i hate the stuff. the only thing i like is the shorter growing season...but I'm not even the one who mows it, so it doesn't really matter.

Jimminy Crimson
4/30/2006, 11:28 PM
Best way to kill bermuda would be to just nuke it with some herbicide and then use a sod cutter to get under the roots, then sod with fescue.

If you need to get it out of your beds, fertilome makes a good product called Over-the-Top. It is a little more coin, but they have a spray bottle as opposed to mixing in a pump tank thingie.

boomersooner28
5/1/2006, 03:10 AM
HOLY ****! Howd ya grow that dog? :D

Jerk
5/1/2006, 05:03 AM
Ok, so I need nitrogen for my Bermuda.

I'm not going to be put on the ATF's hit list if I buy this stuff?

proud gonzo
5/1/2006, 06:45 AM
Best way to kill bermuda would be to just nuke it with some herbicide and then use a sod cutter to get under the roots, then sod with fescue.

If you need to get it out of your beds, fertilome makes a good product called Over-the-Top. It is a little more coin, but they have a spray bottle as opposed to mixing in a pump tank thingie.

do sod cutters go a foot deep? :confused:

jk the sooner fan
5/1/2006, 07:11 AM
what is it about the bermuda that you guys hate so much?

proud gonzo
5/1/2006, 07:13 AM
aside from being really allergic to it, I hate that it spreads like mad and it's impossible to keep out of my garden. it won't die even with 8 inches of dirt piled on top of it. And digging it up is a serioius pain in the ***.

jk the sooner fan
5/1/2006, 07:15 AM
ahhh yes, there is that

st augustine spreads the same way though, albeit a little slower

5/1/2006, 07:26 AM
St. Augustine here. Needs a lot of water late in the summer, but it sure looks nice.

Jimminy Crimson
5/1/2006, 11:35 AM
Bermuda is supa.invasive