PDA

View Full Version : Reggie also received $100,000 from an agent

usmc-sooner
4/30/2006, 10:09 AM
if the NCAA doesn't slam the door on them then nobody should abide by their decisions. Bush, Justice, Sanchez, White what more do they need.

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 10:13 AM
We are starting to sound like the horns around here.

usmc-sooner
4/30/2006, 10:19 AM
I don't care, I mean if they are going to try to get stupid over phone calls then they damn well better do something about houses, $100,000 payments to players etc.

The about of money that we supposedly offered Hart Lee Dykes wasn't even 1/20th the amount.

I don't see how I sound like a whorn because I want the NCAA to use some common sense and judge schools in the same manner.

BTW whorns would never complain about the NCAA because the NCAA won't touch them.

Flagstaffsooner
4/30/2006, 10:33 AM
We are starting to sound like the horns around here.I haven't moo'ed in weeks.

okienole3
4/30/2006, 10:42 AM
How does that saying about glass houses go?

MojoRisen
4/30/2006, 10:47 AM
Clearly- if this is True the Great SUC Dynasty needs to be slapped with a slow the F down and do it right clause.

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 10:50 AM
This wont end good, even though I know what you are saying and TOTALLY agree.

okienole3
4/30/2006, 11:09 AM
This wont end good, even though I know what you are saying and TOTALLY agree.

I know it won't, but celebrating someone else's demise seems very hornish or worse, aggieish. Skeletons in the closet make it even worse.

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 11:12 AM
I know it won't, but celebrating someone else's demise seems very hornish or worse, aggieish. Skeletons in the closet make it even worse.
Common sense does not apply to fanbases.

Octavian
4/30/2006, 11:12 AM
Link?

SanDiegoSoonerGal
4/30/2006, 11:26 AM
Link?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/college_football/20060429-9999-1s29bush.html

royalfan5
4/30/2006, 11:36 AM
Common sense does not apply to fanbases.
That might be the truest statement ever said on a internet BBS dedicated to sports.

trey
4/30/2006, 11:43 AM
if the NCAA doesn't slam the door on them then nobody should abide by their decisions. Bush, Justice, Sanchez, White what more do they need.

you forgot about dwayne jarrett...in today's la times there is an article alleging that while he and leinart lived together, bob, matt's dad, paid the rent.

MamaMia
4/30/2006, 01:05 PM
How did Pete Carroll not pick up on this?

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 01:06 PM
nm
nr

Cam
4/30/2006, 01:29 PM
http://www.aspencountry.com/aspen/assets/product_images/product_lib/31000-31999/31655.jpg

Scott D
4/30/2006, 02:38 PM
you forgot about dwayne jarrett...in today's la times there is an article alleging that while he and leinart lived together, bob, matt's dad, paid the rent.

that wouldn't be improper benefits unless you could prove that leinart's father is attempting some sort of financial gain through jarrett. plenty of college students have their apartments paid for by their parents.

SoonerShark
4/30/2006, 03:08 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12547740/

"Watkins told the Times that Bush personally tried to resolve the dispute, sending New Era an e-mail that said no one was trying to cheat them, then attending a settlement meeting several weeks ago that included his parents, Watkins and New Era representatives. Watkins said New Era representatives were searched for recording devices when they entered the meeting room."

usmc-sooner
4/30/2006, 03:41 PM

how is it hornish to want the NCAA to enforce the rules on everyone fairly. If they are going to hit us and we did wrong so be it. But don't let your golden child's go scott free when they are doing it twice as bad.

usmc-sooner
4/30/2006, 03:44 PM
maybe okienole and sanantonio can petion the NCAA to ignore infractions on USC's behalf because usmc is sounding hornish.---------:D

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 03:45 PM
maybe okienole and sanantonio can petion the NCAA to ignore infractions on USC's behalf because usmc is sounding hornish.---------:D
set it up.

okienole3
4/30/2006, 04:04 PM
Just let the National Communists Against Athletes do their job.

picasso
4/30/2006, 04:11 PM
how does that apply to the present? we've paid our dues haven't we? we're talking about a current infraction at one of the premier programs in the country.

okienole3
4/30/2006, 04:35 PM
how does that apply to the present? we've paid our dues haven't we? we're talking about a current infraction at one of the premier programs in the country.

Who said anything about past indiscretions?

emoinwinter
4/30/2006, 04:50 PM
that wouldn't be improper benefits unless you could prove that leinart's father is attempting some sort of financial gain through jarrett. plenty of college students have their apartments paid for by their parents.

It says that one players parents may not be able to pay for another player's share of the apartment. Not sure why that wouldn't be allowed though.

Scott D
4/30/2006, 04:58 PM
It says that one players parents may not be able to pay for another player's share of the apartment. Not sure why that wouldn't be allowed though.

I would say because now the media has decided that the gloss is over for USC because Texas beat them, no other reason.

Generally speaking, there is no improper benefit because there is nothing showing that Leinart's father was profiting from the matter. The point is made moot by the fact that no media outlet has even bothered to view what constitutes a violation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as amused by the apparent 'fall' of USC as anyone else here. However, so far as my understanding of the NCAA rules go, as long as a situation like this is accessable for a regular student then it's not a violation. And we all know there are students whom may live in an apartment or house that they themselves can't fully pay for, so their parent(s) foot most of the bill.

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 05:02 PM
So you are saying that any USC student would have been eligible for rent subsidizing from Matt's dad?

Scott D
4/30/2006, 05:07 PM
So you are saying that any USC student would have been eligible for rent subsidizing from Matt's dad?

had they been his roommate, sure why not.

okienole3
4/30/2006, 05:08 PM

Not his dad, but somebody's dad.

usmc-sooner
4/30/2006, 05:13 PM

exactly

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/30/2006, 05:34 PM
scott, its a violation. it isn't any different than bill walton paying for all that crap for richard jefferson while his son was at arizona. as a parent, you are considered a booster so you can't pay for anyone else on the team's stuff. however, the ncaa has traditionally given a tacit nod of approval to taking "care" of players while they are at school. most of the penalties have consisted of the player paying the money back and missing a game. jefferson took over 25 grand from walton and was suspended for 2 games.

as a player, there are 2 things that will get you in deep doodoo with the NCAA - gambling and agents.

as a school, it is recruiting violations.

Scott D
4/30/2006, 05:37 PM
but using that argument leinart would have been uneligible while living in that apartment as well.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/30/2006, 05:45 PM
but using that argument leinart would have been uneligible while living in that apartment as well.

no there is a family exemption clause. when i was at OU, brent price had a bmw that mark bought him, etc.

It is not permissible for a student-athlete to receive financial aid, directly or indirectly, from a source outside the institution (e.g., a foreign government, a sports association, a high school booster club) for expenses related to attendance at a member institution, if the award of such financial aid is based in any degree upon the recipient's athletics ability, except as permitted in Bylaws 15.2.6.3 and 15.2.6.4. Receipt of financial aid from such a source renders the student-athlete ineligible for all intercollegiate athletics participation.

Specifically prohibited financial aid, benefits and arrangements include, but are not limited to, the following:

(a) An employment arrangement for a prospect's relatives;

(b) Gift of clothing or equipment;

(c) Cosigning of loans;

(d) Providing loans to a prospect's relatives or friends;

(e) Cash or like items;

(f) Any tangible items, including merchandise;

(g) Free or reduced-cost services, rentals or purchases of any type;

(h) Free or reduced-cost housing;

(i) Use of an institution's athletics equipment (e.g., for a high school all-star game); and

(j) Sponsorship of or arrangement for an awards banquet for high school, preparatory school or two-year-college athletes by an institution, representatives of its athletics interests or its alumni groups or booster clubs.

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 05:45 PM
Your own parents is different from others, but even in that area, parents who are coaches have to be careful regarding their own kids in HS.

Saying you just need to procure your own rent assistance and it's available to everyone is a VERY weak arguement. It's true of EVERYTHING. I can own anything I want as long as I find somebody to give it to me. I guess we all have equal access to it.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/30/2006, 05:46 PM
this is the restitution - big deal...

For violations of Bylaw 13.2.2 in which the value of the offer or inducement is $100 or less, the eligibility of the individual (i.e., prospective or enrolled student-athlete) shall not be affected conditioned upon the individual repaying the value of the benefit to a charity of his or her choice. The individual, however, shall remain ineligible from the time the institution has knowledge of the receipt of the impermissible benefit until the individual repays the benefit. Violations of this bylaw remain institutional violations per Constitution 2.8.1, and documentation of the individual's repayment shall be forwarded to the enforcement services staff with the institution's self-report of the violation. (Adopted: 10/28/97; Revised: 11/1/00)

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 05:47 PM
just 10 grand he'll have to pay back.

I got that in my couch cushions.

TheGodfather889
4/30/2006, 06:18 PM
Put the Trojans on probation!!

Sooner_Bob
4/30/2006, 06:29 PM
I don't see what discussing NCAA violations has to do with living in a glass house. OU has more than paid the price for past violations. I haven't seen one person post that OU was never subjected to any NCAA investigations or had never been found guilty of something.

If it is discoverd that the players at USC, East Popcorn State or Middle of Nowhere Tech received extra benefits or committed other violations and punishment isn't received based on the severity of those violations that is what I believe usmc might have a problem with.

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 06:33 PM
I don't think the NCAA will ever enforce things as harshly as they have before. What they did to SMU and even OU was way more than they intended.

I expect the learned something and wont smack anyone that hard again. This doesn't mean that they hate OU and love USC or any other place.

Scott D
4/30/2006, 08:14 PM
the NCAA will only hit Texas Tech's basketball program with the death penalty. That love between Myles Brand and Robert Knight cannot be hidden forever ;)

badger
4/30/2006, 09:15 PM

pete carroll will eventually fail at USC for the same reason he sucked it up in the NFL:

LACK.
OF.
CONTROL.

Pete: I love you boys so much that I can't bear to discipline you! Hug me.

picasso
5/1/2006, 09:46 AM
Who said anything about past indiscretions?
you said glass houses did you not? are you referring to our basketball situation? essplain yourself.

regardless, if USC is at fault, we can and certainly will comment on it.

FaninAma
5/1/2006, 10:07 AM

I agree with that. If the NCAA lets USC skate on this mess then nobody should ever abide by an NCAA sanction again.

FaninAma
5/1/2006, 10:09 AM

You're joking, right? So buying a plane ticket so a player can see a sick relative and boosters buying players a hamburger are violations but subsidizing a player with thousands of dollars of rent isn't? Any possible type of inducement is theoretically available to all students. Man,with that kind of logic you should be working for the NCAA. ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/1/2006, 10:21 AM
You're joking, right? So buying a plane ticket so a player can see a sick relative and boosters buying players a hamburger are violations but subsidizing a player with thousands of dollars of rent isn't? Any possible type of inducement is theoretically available to all students. Man,with that kind of logic you should be working for the NCAA. ;)

humorously, buying a ticket for a sick relative was made legal the year AFTER they busted us upside the head for it.

okienole3
5/1/2006, 10:55 AM
you said glass houses did you not? are you referring to our basketball situation? essplain yourself.

regardless, if USC is at fault, we can and certainly will comment on it.

Yes basketball. And, if you think that this stuff isn't going on, in some form or another, everywhere then you are kidding yourself.

picasso
5/1/2006, 10:59 AM
Yes basketball. And, if you think that this stuff isn't going on, in some form or another, everywhere then you are kidding yourself.
huh? I know it goes on. I know 2 players who play for 2 current Big 12 schools and several who have played at ou and osu in the past(probation days too). but what does that have to do with your glass houses statement? are you saying OU has some player's folks setup right now?

okienole3
5/1/2006, 11:06 AM
huh? I know it goes on. I know 2 players who play for 2 current Big 12 schools and several who have played at ou and osu in the past(probation days too). but what does that have to do with your glass houses statement? are you saying OU has some player's folks setup right now?

I don't know that and I don't want to find out. Maybe it is best to get your own house in order before you start worrying about somebody else's. I wouldn't want the NCAA to come snooping around here.

picasso
5/1/2006, 11:09 AM
ok, so the school with the longest winning streak in many a year get's a free pass on this board because we don't want them boys from Indy snoopin around here either.

okienole3
5/1/2006, 11:13 AM
ok, so the school with the longest winning streak in many a year get's a free pass on this board because we don't want them boys from Indy snoopin around here either.

Did I say give them a free pass? I am saying let the NCAA do their job. Don't get the lynch mob mentality because the lynch mob is a fickle bunch. Who is the second most successful program over the past few years?

usmc-sooner
5/1/2006, 11:17 AM

he has no point, I don't even know where he's going with it. They should get off scott free while we pay for our indiscretions. Let's see we get hammered for phone calls and will accept our punishment but we shouldn't expect the NCAA to look at a $100,000 payment from an agent, parents receiving a house, etc.

Scott D
5/1/2006, 11:39 AM

eh, it's already been proven I had bad info in regards to the matter. The problem is the whole booster and 'friend of the program' stuff is so broadly brushed it's ridiculous. I was going off of the basic matter of things being done by the university itself have to be things available to regular students as well before any athletic teams can go to them.

I still think it's silly to bust a school because the parent of one athlete is helping pay rent for where his child lives and the child just happens to have a roommate.

usmc-sooner
5/1/2006, 11:45 AM
eh, it's already been proven I had bad info in regards to the matter. The problem is the whole booster and 'friend of the program' stuff is so broadly brushed it's ridiculous. I was going off of the basic matter of things being done by the university itself have to be things available to regular students as well before any athletic teams can go to them.

I still think it's silly to bust a school because the parent of one athlete is helping pay rent for where his child lives and the child just happens to have a roommate.

well then we should recruit one of Micheal Gates kids and let our star player room with him. :D

I don't think it's silly, it's a rule that removes the temptation from people trying to get creative with roommates

Scott D
5/1/2006, 01:37 PM
well then we should recruit one of Micheal Gates kids and let our star player room with him. :D

I don't think it's silly, it's a rule that removes the temptation from people trying to get creative with roommates

it's silly from the aspect of nobody would care if your kid and howzit's kid were roommates and one of you two was footing a hefty chunk of the rent. Compared to the other issues coming out of Inglewood, this rent thing is probably the most incriminating by virtue of being the most stupid of violations. The Bush stuff is far worse than this.

And anyone who thinks that USC would get the SMU penalty over this can forget it. The NCAA itself has said multiple times that they were far too harsh in their penalties and that they would never punish a school that much again.

CtheB
5/1/2006, 01:48 PM
I really don't understand what the infraction is with regards to the Jarrett situation, unless the University or boosters subsidized the high-rent joint. If the father of the next "Cardinal quarterback corpse" can afford the joint, and he wants to let Jarrett crash there, I don't know if there's anything that can be said about it.

The Bush situation; however, stinks. I also think if the NCAA were to dig a little deeper into the relationship between the Rubbers and their newest bestest #1 booster and career consultant Snoop Dogg they would find enough trash to make em forget about researching phone records.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
5/1/2006, 05:36 PM
The Bush situation; however, stinks. I also think if the NCAA were to dig a little deeper into the relationship between the Rubbers and their newest bestest #1 booster and career consultant Snoop Dogg they would find enough trash to make em forget about researching phone records.

Are you trying to say that Snoop might possible be doing something illegal?!?:eek: I thought all he did was sip gin and juice with his mind on his money and his money on his mind:cool:

Sooner_Havok
5/1/2006, 07:18 PM
Sad thing is, no matter what USC or their players did, nothing will come of this. KU has lost "institutional control" but USC is just being USC. They had no problem putting OU on probation for Rape, Drugs, and plane tickets....Let's see USC has a rape and a $750,000 house with a $100,000 spending money, and snoop dog is hanging around so yeah... But we are all fooling ourselves if we think that USC will lose so much as one scholarship. This will be swept under the rug. The NCAA doesn't want to deal with a little school like USC and their players receiving a little money, The want to deal with established schools like OU calling to many people, or Kansas kids getting extravagant graduation presents.

oumartin
5/1/2006, 07:53 PM
if this was the OU football program this would be national news. end of story
ESPN would be publicly hanging us.. You have to dig on the net to find this crap about USC.