PDA

View Full Version : Whats the number one decision in a person's life?

BoogercountySooner
4/29/2006, 11:23 AM
I say marry the right person! Mission accomplished! Whats your thoughts?

proud gonzo
4/29/2006, 11:31 AM
yeah, that's what I would have said. although career is a pretty big one too

slickdawg
4/29/2006, 11:33 AM
No doubt, marry the right person.

Every day I am thankful that slickwife is my wife. She's the shiznit!

85Sooner
4/29/2006, 11:40 AM
gotta agree

OUAndy1807
4/29/2006, 11:52 AM
driving the right car

Sooner24
4/29/2006, 11:53 AM
Accepting Jesus as your personal savior.

sooner n houston
4/29/2006, 11:55 AM

Hit the nail on the head!!! Spek! :D

BoogercountySooner
4/29/2006, 12:37 PM

I stand corrected!:)

StoopTroup
4/29/2006, 12:58 PM
OK...then what's #2?

Boarder
4/29/2006, 01:03 PM
OK...then what's #2?
Which new wheels to put on your truck.

walkoffsooner
4/29/2006, 01:08 PM
Good job stand up when the chance arrives

Al Gore
4/29/2006, 01:18 PM
Tongs or Forks when grilling....

SoonerWood
4/29/2006, 01:19 PM
paper or plastic

soonerbrat
4/29/2006, 01:28 PM
cash or credit

Okla-homey
4/29/2006, 02:03 PM
after choosing to accept divine grace...

I'd have to say, choice of mate.

number three has to be: stay in school or drop out? [Unfortunately, this decision is usually made before mental and emotional maturity has been attained, nevertheless, it usually has life-long profoundly negative consequences for those who choose to quit high school.]

number four: at high school graduation, college/work/military? [Not as decisive as to life-long aspirations as #3 but very significant.]

pretty even in significance w/number 3: Am I going to try always to be a law-abiding person or not?

etouffee
4/29/2006, 02:06 PM
spicy or mild

soonerscuba
4/29/2006, 02:09 PM
I'm pretty sure choosing between pulling out or using a condom has been a major decision a lot of people have made. Just sayin'.

sooner_born_1960
4/29/2006, 02:11 PM
Sit or stand. Nothing like discovering too late that you should have sat.

slickdawg
4/29/2006, 02:12 PM
I'm pretty sure choosing between pulling out or using a condom has been a major decision a lot of people have made. Just sayin'.

SKEETFU**!!!!

BoogercountySooner
4/29/2006, 02:13 PM

One your parents regret I bet, ;)

slickdawg
4/29/2006, 02:14 PM

Excellent point 24, I guess I kinda took that excellent choice for granted.

Jimminy Crimson
4/29/2006, 02:19 PM
#2: Ford or Chevy?

Scott D
4/29/2006, 02:27 PM
all of you are wrong...that is all.

GDC
4/29/2006, 02:29 PM
Knowing who not to **** off on SF.com.

slickdawg
4/29/2006, 02:31 PM
Knowing who not to **** off on SF.com.

That's certainly a key to longevity here.

proud gonzo
4/29/2006, 02:34 PM

that may be the number one decision in a lot of people's lives, but that can't be it as a generalization. maybe deciding your beliefs could be. But since I'm not going to make the decision to accept Jesus as my personal savior, that will not be the number one decision in my life.

i'm not saying that's not yours, but if we're talking about "a person" in general it'd be a little different.

proud gonzo
4/29/2006, 02:35 PM
all of you are wrong...that is all.
what's the right answer then? 42? :D

Jimminy Crimson
4/29/2006, 02:36 PM
Butt pirate or hatchet wound invader?

Scott D
4/29/2006, 02:38 PM
what's the right answer then? 42? :D

Accepting the number 42 as your personal savior obviously :)

OKC Sooner
4/29/2006, 02:47 PM
Smooth or Crunchy

GeneralCartmanLee
4/29/2006, 02:52 PM
Paper or Plastic?

Sooner24
4/29/2006, 03:05 PM
that may be the number one decision in a lot of people's lives, but that can't be it as a generalization. maybe deciding your beliefs could be. But since I'm not going to make the decision to accept Jesus as my personal savior, that will not be the number one decision in my life.

i'm not saying that's not yours, but if we're talking about "a person" in general it'd be a little different.

It is the number one decision and it looks like you have decided. :cool:

GDC
4/29/2006, 03:07 PM

They say salvation is the only path to true happiness.

proud gonzo
4/29/2006, 03:28 PM
I guess my salvation comes from something else.

Sooner24
4/29/2006, 03:36 PM
I guess my salvation comes from something else.

Then I wish you luck.

Sooner24
4/29/2006, 03:38 PM
Good luck that is and thanks for the spek.

slickdawg
4/29/2006, 03:46 PM
I declare an end to the Jihad.

Back to the question.........

etouffee
4/29/2006, 04:28 PM
Watch Sopranos or have sex.

*thank God for Tivo. just sayin.

soonercody
4/29/2006, 05:54 PM
It depends on what stage of life you are in and probably several other relative variables. For many it'd be the mate, many others what they do for a living, other times the decision may not seem like the most important decision until after the results/consequences are known. Yes, seriously.

soonercody
4/29/2006, 11:42 PM
The next one.

Flagstaffsooner
4/29/2006, 11:48 PM
Sheep or goat?
http://img71.exs.cx/img71/149/aggystunned2.jpg

Skysooner
4/30/2006, 12:12 AM
For me it was who I married. Faith came along second. Jesus may be a way, but he is not the only way (even though the fundamentalists would have you believe differently). I'm pretty well set in my first two, so now my career is taking some tweaking to get right. It is going well, but my personal plate is going to be full on decisions to make in the next 3 weeks.

Scott D
4/30/2006, 12:41 AM

in your opinion it is the number one decision. to be without question the number one decision would mean that there is a lack of affirmation that forces you to need to have that as a decision.

Sooner24
4/30/2006, 01:17 AM
in your opinion it is the number one decision. to be without question the number one decision would mean that there is a lack of affirmation that forces you to need to have that as a decision.

I would rather believe what I believe and be wrong them believe whatever it is that you believe and be wrong. I can afford to be wrong. You can't. :D

Scott D
4/30/2006, 03:10 AM
I would rather believe what I believe and be wrong them believe whatever it is that you believe and be wrong. I can afford to be wrong. You can't. :D

tis your opinion :)

Okla-homey
4/30/2006, 08:02 AM
For me it was who I married. Faith came along second. Jesus may be a way, but he is not the only way (even though the fundamentalists would have you believe differently).

Bro, I don't want to get into a big religious food fight here, mainly because people are free to believe (or not) whatever they want in America and I'm willing to die to protect that right.

Here's the thing though. I don't really consider it strictly the view of only "fundamentalist" Christians that Christ is the key to salvation. Nothing in the New Testament says anything to the contrary. Therefore, if a person chooses to be a Christian, he or she is pretty much signing up to the fact that there's simply no other way. Established Christian doctrine including Roman Catholic, Anglican, Eastern Orthodox as well as Protestant, in short -- all of them, are consistent on that core truth. Some of them add some stuff and that's been pretty contentious for centuries, but they all go back to the essential acceptance of Christ as the only way to achieve grace.

Skysooner
4/30/2006, 08:37 AM
Not totally true Homey. My own mainline denomination (albeit liberal) believes in the validity of all faith traditions. Jesus just happens to be ours. I do agree that the Bible is consistent in that, but it is also along the line of only accepting our own law tradition without recognizing that there are other law traditions out there. They are different and not necessarily any better or worse. Ours works for our culture though. The difference in what I could call fundamentalists and the liberals I go to church with is mainly in how we interpret the Bible. We liberals believe that much of the faith tradition is allegorical and comes out of a midrashic attempt to tie current stories into past stories in the Bible (i.e making the New Testament stories discernible to Jewish people who were familiar with their older stories in the Talmud and beyond). Certain fundamentalists believe in a much more literal reading of the Bible. There is much that can be debated about it which I don't care to do so here. What I disagree with is for anyone to say they have the answer about how to get there and then try to enforce that belief on me. I believe in a religion of the heart that is going to be as individual to me as it would be to you. That is what I meant by my statement.

Okla-homey
4/30/2006, 09:13 AM
Not totally true Homey. My own mainline denomination (albeit liberal) believes in the validity of all faith traditions. Jesus just happens to be ours. I do agree that the Bible is consistent in that, but it is also along the line of only accepting our own law tradition without recognizing that there are other law traditions out there. They are different and not necessarily any better or worse. Ours works for our culture though. The difference in what I could call fundamentalists and the liberals I go to church with is mainly in how we interpret the Bible. We liberals believe that much of the faith tradition is allegorical and comes out of a midrashic attempt to tie current stories into past stories in the Bible (i.e making the New Testament stories discernible to Jewish people who were familiar with their older stories in the Talmud and beyond). Certain fundamentalists believe in a much more literal reading of the Bible. There is much that can be debated about it which I don't care to do so here. What I disagree with is for anyone to say they have the answer about how to get there and then try to enforce that belief on me. I believe in a religion of the heart that is going to be as individual to me as it would be to you. That is what I meant by my statement.

Well then, we may disagree as gentlemen on the primacy and interpretation of scripture and that's perfectly fine. I'm happy to live in a country where beliefs aren't forced on people (anymore) and we don't try to blow each other to smithereens over it.

That said, people who believe in evangelism which springs from the belief they are sharing the "keys to the kingdom" shouldn't be pilloried for good faith and culturally sensitive attempts to share the gospel with non-believers. To them, its an act of love for their fellow humans and an obligation of their faith. That's the part which is often lost in the debate. Many of us feel its our duty to get it out there per Jesus' commission in Matthew 28:18-20 but it should be done lovingly per the Lord's example. People have choice whether they choose to accept grace or not. That's pretty basic too, so folks' wishes should be respected.

To be clear, that's NOT to say that folks who go about beating others over the head with "I'm right, you're going to Hell" are doing it the way the Lord would wants. I think they often do more harm than good. Just my personal opinion mind you.

Sooner24
4/30/2006, 09:43 AM
I want to apologize to BoogercountySooner. I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.

Jimminy Crimson
4/30/2006, 09:43 AM
Single or double ply.

Makes all the difference in the world! ;)

BoogercountySooner
4/30/2006, 09:46 AM
I want to apologize to BoogercountySooner. I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.

No problem!:)

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 09:52 AM
Whether or not to post a religious comment.

Today I'll go with ........no.

Scott D
4/30/2006, 09:56 AM
Well then, we may disagree as gentlemen on the primacy and interpretation of scripture and that's perfectly fine. I'm happy to live in a country where beliefs aren't forced on people (anymore) and we don't try to blow each other to smithereens over it.

That said, people who believe in evangelism which springs from the belief they are sharing the "keys to the kingdom" shouldn't be pilloried for good faith and culturally sensitive attempts to share the gospel with non-believers. To them, its an act of love for their fellow humans and an obligation of their faith. That's the part which is often lost in the debate. Many of us feel its our duty to get it out there per Jesus' commission in Matthew 28:18-20 but it should be done lovingly per the Lord's example. People have choice whether they choose to accept grace or not. That's pretty basic too, so folks' wishes should be respected.

To be clear, that's NOT to say that folks who go about beating others over the head with "I'm right, you're going to Hell" are doing it the way the Lord would wants. I think they often do more harm than good. Just my personal opinion mind you.

careful, handcrafted might perceive that as a personal affront ;)

ChickSoonerFan
4/30/2006, 11:18 AM
I would agree with most here, who you choose for your mate/spouse/partner has to be one of the most impactful decisions you ever make.

I think dedicing what you do after highschool, like homey said, is also a major decision in life and will determine your future greatly.

Both of these decisions will impact where you live, what you do, your financial situation, and how you raise your children.

Major issues. Choose carefully.

BillyBall
4/30/2006, 11:29 AM
I thought this thread would be 5 pages by now.... Wheres Handcrafted?

MamaMia
4/30/2006, 11:33 AM
Frozen or on the rocks

Flagstaffsooner
4/30/2006, 11:38 AM
Frozen or on the rocksKisses

SoonerInKCMO
4/30/2006, 11:40 AM

When are people going to give up on (i.e. realize the logical fallacy) of Pascal's Wager?

Okla-homey
4/30/2006, 11:53 AM
When are people going to give up on (i.e. realize the logical fallacy) of Pascal's Wager?

I don't put much stock in Pascal's wager. Personally, I find my faith gives me hope for the future and comfort in knowing Someone is in control down here. Our brains are hard-wired for seeking explanations for stuff. I've found a lot of answers to life's big scary questions in my faith. That's worth the price of admission right there leaving any eternal consequences out of the equation.;)

etouffee
4/30/2006, 12:02 PM
One would think an all-knowing God would be smart enough to know which people believe for righteous reasons and which believe simply as an insurance policy, that the latter might find themselves simmering in the eternal crockpot despite their cleverly calculated belief.

yermom
4/30/2006, 12:06 PM
I don't put much stock in Pascal's wager. Personally, I find my faith gives me hope for the future and comfort in assuming Someone is in control down here. Our brains are hard-wired for seeking explanations for stuff. I've found a lot of answers to life's big scary questions in my faith. That's worth the price of admission right there leaving any eternal consequences out of the equation.;)

i think that most people can't accept that it's possible that life is just a random set of happenings so they choose to believe that someone somewhere is calling the shots and taking care of them

i shouldn't complain too much though, it keeps a lot of the population in line

i would add that i haven't made my mind up either way, but i have a hard time trusting any group with so much to gain by filling peoples heads with BS

(this applies to about any organized religion, not just Judeo-Christian ones)

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 12:09 PM
yeah.......it's much more likely that this is all one big cosmic fart.

Okla-homey
4/30/2006, 12:11 PM
One would think an all-knowing God would be smart enough to know which people believe for righteous reasons and which believe simply as an insurance policy, that the latter might find themselves simmering in the eternal crockpot despite their cleverly calculated belief.

Its generally not a good idea to put God in a box. I bet He's got it all figgered out just as you suggest. Regarding His all-knowing-ness, I've always believed that God doesn't show up for work in the morning, check his e-mail and His favorite news sites and go, "Dang! What's up with that?" Things happen down here because He loves us enough to allow us to choose to do stupid and/or destructive stuff as well as the kind and good stuff. He wants us to do the latter, but he permits the former. If it wasn't that way, we'd just be mind-numbed robots...or wHorns.

Okla-homey
4/30/2006, 12:27 PM
i think that most people can't accept that it's possible that life is just a random set of happenings so they choose to believe that someone somewhere is calling the shots and taking care of them

i shouldn't complain too much though, it keeps a lot of the population in line

i would add that i haven't made my mind up either way, but i have a hard time trusting any group with so much to gain by filling peoples heads with BS

(this applies to about any organized religion, not just Judeo-Christian ones)

Yermom, I can only speak for myself. I know He's in control. I've been through too much to ever doubt it. That's just me though. Every person has to seek the answer to that question for themselves. Not to get too philosophical about it, but I think that's one of the greatest parts of being a human being.

I agree that the Oral Roberts's and the Spanish Inquisitors and the Al-Qeda's of the world have done great harm. Any great ideal can be perverted for ill-gotten personal or institutional gain or to advance some bizarre and destructive motive. I do believe there are far more Mother Theresa's out there than those guys though.

Problem is, the folks who are quietly doing great good in God's name rarely make headlines. Tulsa preachers who cruise gay motels or priests who fancy little boys are big news. The countless thousands of men and women around the world who quietly and righteously (NOT self-righteously) go about doing their work on behalf of the Lord aren't.

Bottomline for me, I think people are basically good but they need a moral compass to help them avoid temptations which can and do often lead to personal destruction. Particularly in an age of moral relativism. Faith can be that compass.

yermom
4/30/2006, 12:42 PM
Yermom, I can only speak for myself. I know He's in control. I've been through too much to ever doubt it. That's just me though. Every person has to seek the answer to that question for themselves. Not to get too philosophical about it, but I think that's one of the greatest parts of being a human being.

I agree that the Oral Roberts's and the Spanish Inquisitors and the Al-Qeda's of the world have done great harm. Any great ideal can be perverted for ill-gotten personal or institutional gain or to advance some bizarre and destructive motive. I do believe there are far more Mother Theresa's out there than those guys though.

Problem is, the folks who are quietly doing great good in God's name rarely make headlines. Tulsa preachers who cruise gay motels or priests who fancy little boys are big news. The countless thousands of men and women around the world who quietly and righteously (NOT self-righteously) go about doing their work on behalf of the Lord aren't.

Bottomline for me, I think people are basically good but they need a moral compass to help them avoid temptations which can and do often lead to personal destruction. Particularly in an age of moral relativism. Faith can be that compass.

i didn't say it nearly as nicely as that, but that is pretty similar to what i was getting at

i don't look down upon people of faith, but i do look down on gross hypocrisy and forcing one's ideas down everyone's throats... especially for personal gain

Skysooner
4/30/2006, 01:15 PM
I'm similar in many ways. My religion gives me a moral compass. I also don't blame people who believe that evangelism is their calling and they are trying to share. I do, however, get offended by people that continue to force their religion down my throat when I tell them I go to a church (I'm also serving a 2 year commitment as a deacon). My wife and I both happen to believe in evolution and that is a red flag to some fundamental Christians that want to give us pamphlets on the Creation as if we don't have a good basis for our beliefs. We actually had a long talk about this very topic in Sunday School today that was enlightening.

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 01:16 PM
I love religious discussions around here.

really.......I do.

soonercody
4/30/2006, 01:39 PM
Something I've never understood about religion.

Why worship? Does God really need that? Do we?

Who is better off?

1) True believer who goes to church every time the doors are open but also
a complete ******* who profits from child labor and shady business practices and can't quite kick the habit of adultery.

2) Agnostic/Atheist/Wiccan/Godless surgeon who saves 500 lives and is generally a good all around person except they don't go to church.

In terms of the life decisions, I believe #2 has done better.

Can't you just buy a stairway to heaven?

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 01:43 PM
I love misconceptions.

I do ..........really

BoogercountySooner
4/30/2006, 01:59 PM
Ahem!:mad:

BillyBall
4/30/2006, 02:02 PM
Ahem!

God bless you

BoogercountySooner
4/30/2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks

Skysooner
4/30/2006, 02:27 PM
Something I've never understood about religion.

Why worship? Does God really need that? Do we?

If the an all knowing, all loving God lets us live as we choose, why insist on going to church?

Who is better off?

1) True believer who goes to church every time the doors are open but also
a complete ******* who profits from child labor and shady business practices and can't quite kick the habit of adultery.

2) Agnostic/Atheist/Wiccan/Godless surgeon who saves 500 lives and is generally a good all around person except they don't go to church.

In terms of the life decisions, I believe #2 has done better.

Can't you just buy a stairway to heaven?

This may or may not answer this to your satisfaction, but it is from a book called "What Jesus Meant" by Garry Wills (Catholic priest).

"What is the kind of religion Jesus opposed? Any religion that is proud of its virtue, like the boastful Pharisee. Any that is self-righteous, quick to judge and condemn, ready to impose burdens rather than share or lift them. An that exalts its own officers, proud of its trappings, building expensive monuments to itself. Any that neglects the poor and cultivates the rich, any that scorns outcasts and flatters the rulers of this world. If that sounds like just about every form of religion we know, then we can see how far off from religion Jesus stood."

This was one of the main things we discussed today. Worship God in your heart as you would worship him. Church is a great place to get some organization for your philanthropic activities and to learn from others as it is almost impossible to grow on your own. Jesus was about actively doing and not the trappings of religion. I agree with you. #2 is the kind of person I would want to be and aspire to be in most of my daily activities. I also don't believe that anybody is truly "Godless". To me, God is everywhere and in everything. We just may not always recognize it. The necessity of worship is with the individual.

Scott D
4/30/2006, 02:28 PM
I love misconceptions.

I do ..........really

you have no choice..you bought into one about being able to mate for life ;)