PDA

View Full Version : TU mourns loss of a promising recent JUCO FB transferee

Okla-homey
4/29/2006, 07:22 AM
Tragic loss of a gifted young person.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5059/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz18.th.jpg (http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz18.jpg)
Devin Adair (1985-2006)

Tulsa football player dies after illness
By ERIC BAILEY World Sports Writer
4/29/2006

Several familiar with the situation say Devin Adair died from complications of a staph infection. Devin Adair, a member of the University of Tulsa football team, died on Friday afternoon following a weeklong illness.

Adair, 21, was a transfer from El Camino Junior College in California. The Manhattan Beach, Calif., native began school in January and went through Tulsa's spring football drills in March.

"Words cannot describe the grief and sadness the entire football program is feeling at this time," TU coach Steve Kragthorpe said in a statement. "Even though Devin was at Tulsa for just a short time, he made a lasting impression upon all of us that had an opportunity to know him. He was an energetic and bright young man who will be greatly missed."

Several familiar with Adair's situation said he died of complications from a staph infection.

Adair was hospitalized last weekend, but was believed to have made progress during the past few days.

Kragthorpe, who spent many hours this week in Adair's St. Francis hospital room, met with the Tulsa football team Friday evening. They remembered time spent with their teammate.

Halfway across the country, a memorial service was held for Adair.

News of Adair's death stunned people who knew him in Manhattan Beach, in the Los Angeles area. A candlelight vigil was planned for 11 p.m. Friday at the Mira Costa High School football field, Adair's alma mater.

"It's so sad to lose the life of a young man that was so full of life and had a zest for living," said John Featherstone, Adair's coach at El Camino.

El Camino quarterback Don Poole said Adair was like a brother. When he didn't have a place to stay last spring, the Adair family welcomed him into their home.

"He was a fun-loving kid, and we had a great relationship on and off the field," Poole said, his voice quivering. "We sweated and bled together. He was such a great guy, and I'm still shaken by it. I just got off the phone with his dad, and he said it was the worst day of his life."

Former junior college teammate Mark Gray didn't know Adair was ill. He played one year with Adair and said he became a good friend.

"Devin was very outgoing and could make friends with anybody," said Gray, who talked to Adair right before he was hospitalized. "He came into our junior college not knowing anybody and, two hours later, he was friends with everybody."

Adair was a projected starter for TU. The tight end caught the eye of Tulsa recruiting coordinator Matt Wells after making a one-handed touchdown catch in the back of the end zone in an El Camino game last season.

Tabbed as a strong candidate to replace All-American Garrett Mills, he enrolled at Tulsa three months ago to take part in spring drills.

El Camino wide receivers coach Kevin Duncan was concerned about Adair moving so far from home, especially since he was close to his family.

"I was worried that he'd get homesick, but there was not one thing he didn't like about Tulsa," Duncan said. "From his teammates to the coaches to the area, he said he was glad he made the decision."

Duncan already had a lunch date with Adair planned for early next month.

"He was a special kid," Duncan said. "Now, unfortunately looking back, I'm realizing how lucky I was to coach a kid like him."

Adair is survived by his father, Dave; mother, Lin; and older sister, Jamie. Memorial services are pending.

Eric Bailey 581-8391
[email protected]

Newbomb Turk
4/29/2006, 07:33 AM
:(

Way too young.

BajaOklahoma
4/29/2006, 07:37 AM
Thoughts and prayers for family and friends.

Staph is very scary.

Okla-homey
4/29/2006, 07:54 AM
Thoughts and prayers for family and friends.

Staph is very scary.

Particularly since it appears it can kill a young, robust and healthy person despite the best efforts of a first-rate hospital.

Baja, how is it spread?

LilSooner
4/29/2006, 08:33 AM
I hate to hear that. Staph can spread through the air, on contaminated surfaces, and from person to person. IF he picked it up in the hospital it could mean that proper protocol was not being followed and lawsuit could happen.

Infection control works so hard to make sure that this does not happen. It would be horrible to know that a young man lost his life because a nurse/doctor did not follow proper protocol (which I see all the freaking time).

I very much look forward to the day where hospitals are required by federal law to publish their infection rates. There are a few states (New York) that already require this.

BajaOklahoma
4/29/2006, 08:46 AM
It spreads by contact with the bacteria. It used to be a hospital-related illness, but no longer.
Intact skin is the body's first defense against infection. And it doesn't take a major cut for the germs to get in. For instance, just holding a piece of steel wool will give you lots of microscopic cuts on your hand. In the right circumstances..........
There are documented cases of people getting it from gym equipment. A couple of years ago, there was an outbreak among the high school football players - across the Metroplex. All of the area schools were taking routine care of the equipment and had to step up to major disinfecting routines with serious chemicals. Just wiping off the equipment wasn't cutting it anymore. Shower shoes were required. Any cut or scrap is now treated by the team doctor.
Last year, one of our kids scraped his knee on the dirt. I cleaned it out and put good old Neosporin on it. For some reason, i told him to come back later for me to check it again. You would not believe how much it changed in 3 hours - in a bad way. His dad took him straight to the doctor for two weeks of heavy-duty antibiotics. The kid has a major scar.

The problem is that staph has become resistant to many antibiotics. It's our fault as many people stop antibiotics as soon as the symptoms go away, but before all of the bacteria are killed. The surviving bacteria develop a tolerance to those antibiotics and then require stronger or different antibiotics. And there are so many people out there with allergies to whole classes of antibiotics (raising my hand), that our options for treatment are limited.

MRSA stands for Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus. Google it for more info.
You have just survived my lesson for the day.
Sorry, you don't get this 5 minutes back.

Okla-homey
4/29/2006, 09:13 AM
You have just survived my lesson for the day.
Sorry, you don't get this 5 minutes back.

Thanks. I think its good when the SO spreads important nowledge and stuff. Seriously.

BTW, regarding antiobiotic-resistant strains of bacteria, do you agree with the theory that the prevalence of anti-biotic hand soaps in use flippin' everywhere has actually hurt us by increasing drug resistance in a wide variety of germies?

sooneron
4/29/2006, 09:22 AM
That's terrible news. My cousin had a staph infection back in Feb. It was a bad deal. They had to airlift him from Flag down to Phoenix b/c they couldn't figure it out and control his BP. He pulled through by the skin of his teeth. I believe he's 15 or 16.

OUDoc
4/29/2006, 09:39 AM
BTW, regarding antiobiotic-resistant strains of bacteria, do you agree with the theory that the prevalence of anti-biotic hand soaps in use flippin' everywhere has actually hurt us by increasing drug resistance in a wide variety of germies?
They're actually Anti-bacterial soaps, not antibiotic. Pretty much any soap is anti-bacterial. It's mostly a marketing ploy. To my knowledge, they shouldn't have anything to do with antibiotic resistance.

Okla-homey
4/29/2006, 09:47 AM
They're actually Anti-bacterial soaps, not antibiotic. Pretty much any soap is anti-bacterial. It's mostly a marketing ploy. To my knowledge, they shouldn't have anything to do with antibiotic resistance.

I'd read some stuff which posited that "anti-bacterial" everything leads to super uber-germs which are resistant to anti-biotics through the process of evolutionary natural selection. I didn't know if that was widely accepted as fact in public health circles. Apparently not.

I've also read, as Baja pointed out, that people who don't complete a prescribed antibiotic course of treatment can suffer a devastating relapse.

OUDoc
4/29/2006, 09:55 AM
I've also read, as Baja pointed out, that people who don't complete a prescribed antibiotic course of treatment can suffer a devastating relapse.
Yup. No one listens to us, and it doesn't happen that frequently, but you could set yourself up for a really bad infection. If people don't want to finish their antibiotics, stop bugging me for them! (FWIW, I rarely take antibiotics. I usually try to let it run it's course, unless I'm just really sick.)

Okla-homey
4/29/2006, 10:01 AM
Yup. No one listens to us, and it doesn't happen that frequently, but you could set yourself up for a really bad infection. If people don't want to finish their antibiotics, stop bugging me for them! (FWIW, I rarely take antibiotics. I usually try to let it run it's course, unless I'm just really sick.)

I guess its 'cuz people figure, "hey, it worked. I feel fine now, so to heck with taking this crap for 9 more days!" Meanwhile, the small gang of surviving dead-ender hold-out germs who have taken shelter deep within the safety of some remote internal tissue bunker plot their revenge and begin to reproduce quickly in order to launch a devastating counter-attack.

They should make a comic book or something to give to people about this.

slickdawg
4/29/2006, 10:17 AM
Any death is tragic, but it really hits home when it's a child or someone
younger than me.

Speaking of, I turn 38 on Wednesday. Three years older than Beef, who
just had a heart attack! :eek:

BajaOklahoma
4/29/2006, 10:23 AM
There's also the theory floating around that these uber-clean homes are responsible for the increase in asthma. You need some exposure to dirt to build up your immune system.

There are studies out there that show plain water and the scrubbing motion clean just as well as some of the stronger soaps..... The idea is that you are knocking the germs off. I'm not giving up soap completely though.

Okla-homey
4/29/2006, 10:25 AM
There's also the theory floating around that these uber-clean homes are responsible for the increase in asthma. You need some exposure to dirt to build up your immune system.

So, another good reason to have a dog in your house!;)

BajaOklahoma
4/29/2006, 10:29 AM
The three dogs are the reason the house doesn't meet uber-clean standards.

I want another dog too. I found a rescue - deaf - that would be a great addition to the family.

Okla-homey
4/29/2006, 10:32 AM

I want another dog too. I found a rescue - deaf - that would be a great addition to the family.

I think there is a special section in heaven for people who adopt rescued or impounded dogs.

slickdawg
4/29/2006, 10:32 AM

That's great of you to do!!!!!!!!

We'll likely get another after we move.

slickdawg
4/29/2006, 10:35 AM
I think there is a special section in heaven for people who adopt rescued or impounded dogs.

Homey, they start with a gold-lined reserved parking place up front,
and their rewards are greater than you can imagine.

The lord said to take care of his planet, animals and all, and people that
adopt from resuces/shelters get mega spek.

I gave the local SPCA $100 with a condition - if someone comes in to
adopt and they are good parents but are not able to afford spay/neuter,
use this to cover it. I need to do that again.

BajaOklahoma
4/29/2006, 10:36 AM
It's just convincing Mr Baja.......... that bastage is NOT cooperating.

But he is going to owe big time - his parents are arriving in a few minutes. He is gonna owe me BIG TIME.

So I am hoping to have the fluffy one by the end of May. Lots of hoops to go through to get approved.

Okla-homey
4/29/2006, 10:38 AM
It's just convincing Mr Baja.......... that bastage is NOT cooperating.

But he is going to owe big time - his parents are arriving in a few minutes. He is gonna owe me BIG TIME.

So I am hoping to have the fluffy one by the end of May. Lots of hoops to go through to get approved.

You have immense power for you control the supply of, well, you know.

wield it wisely.

slickdawg
4/29/2006, 10:39 AM
You have immense power for you control the supply of, well, you know.

wield it wisely.

Immense power - wars have been won and lost because of it.