PDA

View Full Version : BCS officials: Ineligible Bush could dethrone USC

sooner_champak
4/28/2006, 10:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Ah5rvWWUdopRmrbt2CTkg_o5nYcB?slug=dw-bush042806&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

King Crimson
4/28/2006, 10:30 PM
i can't say i'm in favor of gaining that MNC.

BillyBall
4/28/2006, 10:33 PM
This would be rather odd..... The bastard MNC in our collection.

BASSooner
4/28/2006, 10:33 PM
I hate to say this but, if they do give the championship to another team, they should give it to auburn and not us they handed OUr a$$es to us:(

Jimminy Crimson
4/28/2006, 10:35 PM
Do we get rings? ;)

TheGodfather889
4/28/2006, 10:36 PM
That would be so awesome. We'd get our 8th National Title. And the ADT Trophy!

Crimson Kid
4/28/2006, 10:37 PM
we don't want it that way, they kicked our butt's no if's and or maybe's about it.

They deserve it,well, more then we do anyway.

sooner_champak
4/28/2006, 10:43 PM
The article says NCAA itself does not crown a champion in Division I-A football and BCS currently has no policy on possibly forcing a school to give up its championship but the BCS could rewrite its bylaws and retroactively take away the Trojans' championship.

It's not clear what will happen. By changing the bylaws and taking away the championship doesn't mean it will be awarded to OU. Let's Wait and watch

OKC-SLC
4/28/2006, 10:46 PM
USC sucks azz.

PrideTrombone
4/28/2006, 10:47 PM
Let's take it, but then donate it to Vanderbilt or something. :)

PrideTrombone
4/28/2006, 10:47 PM
And in that case, would USC be down to a half-peat? :D

TheGodfather889
4/28/2006, 10:49 PM
I don't care if they did beat us I still want it. A National Title is a National Title. I wanted to win that one more than I wanted the one in 2000.

MiccoMacey
4/28/2006, 10:58 PM
I don't care if they did beat us I still want it. A National Title is a National Title. I wanted to win that one more than I wanted the one in 2000.

Disagree with you on this one.

Give it to Auburn, I say. We didn't earn it.

JMHO.

olevetonahill
I agree , While im amused at the situation, it just goes to show how much pressure is on these kids , and how little REAL control the Universities have .

OUinFLA
we dont deserve that title, but apparently suc doesnt either
:D

Boomerbrad
4/28/2006, 11:05 PM

More like no-peat ;)

Have to agree with the above posters, we don't want it that way. We got smacked, period.

MiccoMacey
4/28/2006, 11:06 PM
Maybe Tuberville knew what he was talking about when he ordered the NC trophy for Auburn. ;)

OUinFLA
4/28/2006, 11:15 PM
now wouldnt it have been amusing if suc had beat texas in the rb.
imagine losing 2 mnc trophies at one time.
LMAO.

TheGodfather889
4/28/2006, 11:22 PM
I just hate it that we lost to them. It would be some closure if after all that mourning over the game if we still got the trophy. :D

Vaevictis
4/28/2006, 11:24 PM
Truthfully, if that's the case, I think Auburn deserves it. They would be the only undefeated team standing at the end of the season.

olevetonahill
4/28/2006, 11:29 PM
now wouldnt it have been amusing if suc had beat texas in the rb.
imagine losing 2 mnc trophies at one time.
LMAO.
I dont care what they say , that would be some funny shat right there :D

SoonerShark
4/28/2006, 11:43 PM
Truthfully, if that's the case, I think Auburn deserves it. They would be the only undefeated team standing at the end of the season.

We would have been undefeated, too, if we did not have to play usc. Unfortunately, they had the flukiest game I ever witnessed. The way the ball was hitting the receivers was amazing, and their QB was not that good. If he was that good, he would have thrown for 120 TDs that year. It was just one of those nights for us. Auburn did not stand on the line and compete and it is easy to bitch and moan from the sidelines.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/28/2006, 11:46 PM
I knew there was a reason I've never erased the tape of the bowl game that we do not speak of....:D

Crimson Kid
We would have been undefeated, too,

Dang, beat me to it, yes we would have also been undefeated, and if anybody get's it, it will be us, even though i don't want us to get it this way.

Scott D
people people people...we let the bcs vacate the title with no winner.

then 60 years from now we retroactively claim the bcs title.

Sooner_Bob
4/28/2006, 11:48 PM
people people people...we let the bcs vacate the title with no winner.

then 60 years from now we retroactively claim the bcs title.

What would Bear Bryant do? :twinkies:

Sooner Among The Pack
4/29/2006, 12:23 AM
One thought....wonder how much better our defense would have played against the pass if we hadn't had to worry about Reggie Bush?

badger
4/29/2006, 12:41 AM
I say, call it a "dishonorable discharge" from a national championship.

Don't give it to anyone (yes Awburn, that means you too), just asterisk it with the dishonor that it deserves.

No wonder the Texans didn't want him - an angry agency is going to have in assassinated for not paying up (or at least, I would assume that's what will happen from my experiences playing Grand Theft Auto)

Vaevictis
4/29/2006, 12:41 AM
We would have been undefeated, too, if we did not have to play usc. Unfortunately, they had the flukiest game I ever witnessed.

Maybe. But all I know is that Auburn went undefeated, and did it on the field. We won't have.

OUGreg723
4/29/2006, 12:49 AM
There is no way Stoops would ever claim that championship, even if it was given to us. He would refuse it right then and there. I would not want to lay claim to that after we got ****ed on. One of the worst nights of my life as an OU fan.

Flagstaffsooner
4/29/2006, 12:49 AM
I knew there was a reason I've never erased the tape of the bowl game that we do not speak of....:DI keep mine in a lead lined box to keep the bad mojo from escaping.

jrsooner
4/29/2006, 12:53 AM
Dang, beat me to it, yes we would have also been undefeated, and if anybody get's it, it will be us, even though i don't want us to get it this way.I don't know. I think it could be useful. Put it in a trophy case with the words "Be Smart ... Don't Do Anything Stupid" over it as a reminder to both the coaches and players of the consequences of doing a stupid thing that could cost us down the road.

critical_phil
4/29/2006, 01:01 AM
I keep mine in a lead lined box to keep the bad mojo from escaping.

mine is in the top of the closet.

one time mrs. critical asked me what TGOWWDNS meant......

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/29/2006, 01:29 AM
One thought....wonder how much better our defense would have played against the pass if we hadn't had to worry about Reggie Bush?Your point is valid, but that night they just KICKED OUR BUTTS, on both sides of the ball. I would think the BCS title would go to Auburn if suc had to relinquish it.

soonerhubs
4/29/2006, 01:37 AM
Would they have even played in the title game? That said... I don't want our boys to have a retrotitle.

TheGodfather889
4/29/2006, 01:50 AM
One thought....wonder how much better our defense would have played against the pass if we hadn't had to worry about Reggie Bush?
Probably not very well. The secondary simply just could not cover receivers and they were always out of position.

GreaterState
4/29/2006, 03:21 AM
I don't know why all the talk about "who else" would be champion. The BCS doesn't have rules (yet) for vacating a title, but if they follow the NCAA's lead (as is most likely), then they just vacate the title like Scott says. No "replacement" champion is named in that case.

Look at Hawaii men's volleyball a few years ago ... their championship was vacated but Pepperdine (whom they beat) didn't get the title in their place. The Warriors even kept their rings (except for ineligible guy who had to give back all his hardware and be stricken from the books). It's still awkward, of course ... especially if you engrave it into anything big ...

Of course it would still mean zero (0) crystal balls for SC.

http://whatsbruin.net/images/trojans.jpg

SOONER44EVER
4/29/2006, 03:37 AM
Yeah but if Bush wouldn't have played we would have...............oh wait...............nevermind.

chriscappel
4/29/2006, 03:39 AM
yes! taht would make us 2004 BCS camps!

Flagstaffsooner
4/29/2006, 04:08 AM
I don't know why all the talk about "who else" would be champion. The BCS doesn't have rules (yet) for vacating a title, but if they follow the NCAA's lead (as is most likely), then they just vacate the title like Scott says. No "replacement" champion is named in that case.

Look at Hawaii men's volleyball a few years ago ... their championship was vacated but Pepperdine (whom they beat) didn't get the title in their place. The Warriors even kept their rings (except for ineligible guy who had to give back all his hardware and be stricken from the books). It's still awkward, of course ... especially if you engrave it into anything big ...

Of course it would still mean zero (0) crystal balls for SC.

http://whatsbruin.net/images/trojans.jpgDamn, how'd I miss that in the papers?:rolleyes: ;)

Boffingham
4/29/2006, 04:23 AM
I agree that it should go to Auburn because they ended up higher on the BCS polls. Could you imagine the **** OU fans would get for OU claiming that National Championship. We did have a good season though...

yermom
4/29/2006, 04:33 AM
#8 with a big fat asterisk would be awesome :D

of course it's not like we don't have another one from a season in which we lost our bowl game...

AlbqSooner
4/29/2006, 06:49 AM
While I would not be in favor of claiming a MNC if suc is stripped of the title, there is a bit of irony in play here.
1974, OU won a National Championship, but the Coaches poll did not allow them to vote for OU due to probation. Hence the Coaches poll crowned suc as its champion that year.
Karma is the ****es.

sooner13f
4/29/2006, 07:03 AM
This could not of happened to a better guy...Come on Bush will walk away to the NFL with not even a slap on the wrist...While Pete is going to be left holding the bag as the NCAA looks up his ars with a microscope for any and all violations....WOW got to love it !

I bet them NFL offers are looking pretty good right now. I dont want the trophy seeing Pete cry like a baby is good enough.

Flagstaffsooner
4/29/2006, 07:17 AM
#8 with a big fat asterisk would be awesome :D

of course it's not like we don't have another one from a season in which we lost our bowl game...I've gotten over 1950.;)

BajaOklahoma
4/29/2006, 07:18 AM

Perhaps a half-peat = no-Pete?

SUC deserves to have the MNC pulled if Bush is guilty.
Bush deserves to have the Heisman pulled if guilty.
We lost the BCS game.
Auburn didn't play in the BCS Championship game. As it now stands, you have to play in the Championship game to win the crystal. How strange would it be to be able to win the crystal without playing in the game?
IMO, both the Heisman and the MNC stay blank.

Flagstaffsooner
4/29/2006, 07:22 AM
Let's play it again next month!

Big Red Ron
4/29/2006, 07:22 AM

JMHO.We earned the right to be there Auby did not. they get nothing. whose to say we would have lost to aub?

Flagstaffsooner
4/29/2006, 07:31 AM
We earned the right to be there Auby did not. they get nothing. whose to say we would have lost to aub?Yessir, but can you imagine the crap that espn and every other media turd-holes would give us for the the rest of eternity? Not to mention the whorns.:rolleyes:

Big Red Ron
4/29/2006, 07:36 AM
Maybe. But all I know is that Auburn went undefeated, and did it on the field. We won't have.:rolleyes: they beat who in their bowl? suc forfits, we win, not some team not invited.

Big Red Ron
4/29/2006, 07:37 AM
Yessir, but can you imagine the crap that espn and every other media turd-holes would give us for the the rest of eternity? Not to mention the whorns.:rolleyes:if suc can retro-claim titles without a peep...

Flagstaffsooner
4/29/2006, 07:40 AM
Silly, silly whorns are pooping their pants (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=4171171&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=)

Hook 'em :texan: :mack: :D

Octavian
4/29/2006, 07:41 AM
We shouldn't actively try to get it awarded....thats aggy.

If they decide to give it to us, however...:D

Either way, it'd be glorious to see it get yanked from them...dumbass Pete and cross-eyed quotes...WeAreSC and our fark masters would keep me busy for days on end

AzianSooner
4/29/2006, 09:52 AM
I don't think USC will allow NCAA denounce the 04 NC from them. USC could pay 54 Million bucks just to resolve the problem.

sooneron
4/29/2006, 09:57 AM
Better yet, let's give the trophy to ucla!:texan:

oumartin
4/29/2006, 10:09 AM
I've got the answer. Suit up the players again for one more game.. Jason white needs to get his arm ready.

MojoRisen
4/29/2006, 10:18 AM

JMHO.

We wouldve beaten Auburn-

the_ouskull
4/29/2006, 10:22 AM
I'm really proud of all of you Sooner fans that are saying that they don't want the championship this way. I agree whole-heartedly.

the_ouskull

Cam
4/29/2006, 10:27 AM
Keep it in the conference and forward it to Waco.

OUinFLA
4/29/2006, 10:28 AM
We didnt play like champions the night we needed to.
I would be embarassed if they gave it to us.
Give it to Aubarwn. Let them be embarassed.

however, in 50 years, who will much care.............oh, other than suc.

OUDoc
4/29/2006, 10:29 AM
Yes, we got our asses kicked, but I disagree that Auburn earned it any more than we did. Probably best to not award it to anyone for that year. That way more people could hate usc for what they did. ;)

OUDoc
4/29/2006, 10:32 AM
Silly, silly whorns are pooping their pants (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=4171171&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=)

Hook 'em :texan: :mack: :D
Yeah, they weren't pooping when the talk was about VY backing into the Heisman trophy, were they? :texan:

Scott D
4/29/2006, 11:06 AM
Maybe. But all I know is that Auburn went undefeated, and did it on the field. We won't have.

Unfortunately that would be the catch-22. We were #2 in the BCS before that game (and now it can be argued that as of October of 2004 we were likely the #1 in the BCS). Basically the only correct way to do things would be to have no BCS champion for the 2004 season.

sooner518
4/29/2006, 11:29 AM
They keep talking about 7 MNC's when 6 of them were in large part due to cheating.

Nevermind....

from the Whorns board. what the hell is he talking about?

Big Red Ron
4/29/2006, 11:33 AM
from the Whorns board. what the hell is he talking about?penis envey

StoopTroup
4/29/2006, 11:33 AM
from the Whorns board. what the hell is he talking about?
whornage.

bri
4/29/2006, 11:44 AM
ROLL TIDE, ROLL!!!

Fixed it for you.

Desert Sapper
4/29/2006, 11:48 AM
The only sad thing about this would be if Reggie Bush disappeared into Johnny Rogers obscurity if they take away his Heisman. I hope if this does come back on suc, he still goes in the first round of the draft and has a productive career. I don't really hate Bush. He's a phenomenal athlete. He has a little bit of an attitude, but he's been a good sport mostly (except for the diving BS into the endzone). I hate Leinart. He's a crybaby and a punk. And he added tremendous insult to injury after TGOWWDNS. I hate Petey and the Condoms. They humiliated us that night, and the pain will be there forever. If they can wipe that game from the record, I will be happy.

fossil
4/29/2006, 01:26 PM
:cool: No way the Sooners would get that MNC, or take it. Auburn would be the logical choice, since they've already declared themselves the national champs anyway complete with rings. Just give it to them, maybe they'll stop all that damned whining.

fossil
4/29/2006, 01:28 PM
:texan: BCS and NCAA need to be careful. Alabama may want to claim it, like they do when someone mentions in print that they should be national champs.

bri
4/29/2006, 01:31 PM
What's the point in trying to strip SC of the title? They'll just claim it anyways. :D

Wishboned
4/29/2006, 01:37 PM
While I would love #8 this would not be the way I want the Sooners to win a title.

OU doesn't take cheap titles. We're not SUC, we're not Alabama. We don't claim titles we didn't legitimately earn.

Big Red Ron
4/29/2006, 01:39 PM
While I would love #8 this would not be the way I want the Sooners to win a title.

OU doesn't take cheap titles. We're not SUC, we're not Alabama. We don't claim titles we didn't legitimately earn.If they have to give it to someone, it will most certainly be OU. Like it or not.

goingoneight
4/29/2006, 01:49 PM
Damn, how'd I miss that in the papers?:rolleyes: ;)

it's right next to wrestling, water polo, and OSU football. important stuff, eh? :rolleyes:

badger
4/29/2006, 01:51 PM
ATTN: USC RESIDENT POSTERS...

Take this back to your "Trojan Family" (as I heard it referred to at wearesc.com). WE DO NOT WANT YOUR CRAPPY, ILLEGIT CHAMPIONSHIP. WE WANT A REMATCH WITH ELIGIBLE PLAYERS ON YOUR TEAM.

Thank you.

goingoneight
4/29/2006, 01:59 PM
Yeah, they weren't pooping when the talk was about VY backing into the Heisman trophy, were they? :texan:

Doesn't seem as though they really ever have a clue there.

The so-called "blow-U" shut out their wonderful "National Champions" that year, and just had a bad night. But no, they don't believe there is a such thing as having a bad game unless the score is 63-14 or 65-13. I'd love to see how many bandwagoner whorns flood that site when things return to normal next year.

NorthernIowaSooner
4/29/2006, 04:17 PM

claim its our 84th national championship because some guy he knows down the street decided it was so.

didnt we win the big 8 by beating nebraska back in the 70's or 80's and then get it taken away due to some rule violation and then when they tried to give the trophy to nebraska their coach didnt want it cause he knew damn well who won the big 8?

JohnnyMack
4/29/2006, 04:20 PM
I'll pass on that MNC thank you very much.

bri
4/29/2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I don't really see how you can strip someone of something that has no real tangible credibility. "We take back the imaginary honor we bestowed upon you!" ;)

Cam
4/29/2006, 04:30 PM
Unfortunately that would be the catch-22. We were #2 in the BCS before that game (and now it can be argued that as of October of 2004 we were likely the #1 in the BCS). Basically the only correct way to do things would be to have no BCS champion for the 2004 season.
Sine this would be the right thing to do, it probably won't happen.

Don't want the darn this way.

SoonerShark
4/29/2006, 05:00 PM

What would the Bear have done? Following the 1972 season, the Bear chose to play UT in the Cotton Bowl for a sure win rather than play us in the Sugar Bowl since he had been beaten so handily by the Big 8 champion the year before. UT upset Alabama and we beat Penn State 14-0 in Chuck Fairbanks final game as head coach at OU. The Bear would have followed the pathway of least resistance and claimed to be number 1, making himself his own trophy, just like Auburn did.

If this were NCAA basketball, the champion would be the championship game runner-up.

opksooner
4/29/2006, 05:01 PM
They beat us, but apparently not "fair and square", so let the NC stand, but with a gigantic triple http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif asterisk ***........and let the ncaa throw the friggin' book and everything including the kitchen sink at their program.

The Ensuing Kickoff
4/29/2006, 05:02 PM
Winning the NC this way would be sucky.

One thing to do would to amend our record to undefeated and recast OU and undefeated Auburn as co-champions, and make believe it was like any other year where two udefeateds who did not meet in the bowl season won and split the damn title. Of course, that would also sucky.

My preference: leave it right where it is - on the field, with USC being the champs.

SoonerShark
4/29/2006, 05:04 PM

If Bush were not in the running, Matt Leinart would have repeated since all of Bush's voting block would have moved to the Evil Empire I's camp. The Evil Empire II's votes would have stayed as they were with Vince Young, who went 1-3 against the Sooners while on the UT campus, including his redshirt year when he took remedial and special-ed classes.

SoonerShark
4/29/2006, 05:09 PM
They beat us, but apparently not "fair and square", so let the NC stand, but with a gigantic triple http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif asterisk ***........and let the ncaa throw the friggin' book and everything including the kitchen sink at their program.

How many of the guys from USC get special gifts from all of the stars who see the trojans as the Lakers of the 00s? I talked to a lawyer who sat next to Bush's family at the Rose Bowl since she used the tickets of a player she helped out. She assumed we were happy in this part of the country that UT won. I told her we had mixed feelings.

Flagstaffsooner
4/29/2006, 05:21 PM
a la http://people.smu.edu/adedo/images/smu.gif:D

Beef
4/29/2006, 08:35 PM
If nobody wants the MNC, I'll take it. Beef as BCS Champion has a nice ring to it. That trophy would look hella sweet at my house.

OUDoc
4/30/2006, 01:21 PM
If nobody wants the MNC, I'll take it. Beef as BCS Champion has a nice ring to it. That trophy would look hella sweet at my house.
You're still alive?

:D Good to see you around, man.

badger
5/3/2006, 10:40 PM
I want #8, but I don't want it given to me... by an agent... through my family... and 3/4 of a million house... and cash on the side...

But we're not naming names.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/4/2006, 09:32 AM
Utah went undefeated as well although I think they would have been whipped by the other 3 teams but they have a better claim than we do.

If anyone would be awarded the title it would be Auburn. That said they were real fortunate to beat Va Tech and I thought VT was the better team in that game.

Like many of you I think we matched up pretty well with Auburn but on that particulat night against SUC we couldn't have beaten East Popcorn St. So it we claim that title we should wait about 40-50 years and do it retroactively the way SUC would do it.

My opinion is that the title should be vacated.

RedstickSooner
5/4/2006, 01:33 PM
There's only one solution: The 2004 OU and Allbarn teams need to be re-assembled for one game so they can play each other. Whoever wins gets the trophy, the NC, and the undefeated season.

FaninAma
5/4/2006, 01:55 PM
Things are falling apart for Petey Carrol. I wonder if he sold his soul and refused to pay up?

Soonerman08
5/4/2006, 02:38 PM
Things are falling apart for Petey Carrol. I wonder if he sold his soul and refused to pay up?

Theoretically the National Title would be split again. The AP could declare Auburn the National Title, but OU the BCS crystal.....that is the only way anything could come out of this. They wouldn't award Auburn something they weren't even playing for i.e. the crystal ball.

boomrsoonr
5/4/2006, 09:19 PM
I read the first two pages, but not the last two. If USC were to lose the title, no one would get to claim it as the only other team that actually competed for it got owned. There would just be a void in the history books about that year and that's the way it should be.

badger
5/4/2006, 09:29 PM
Theoretically the National Title would be split again. The AP could declare Auburn the National Title, but OU the BCS crystal.....that is the only way anything could come out of this. They wouldn't award Auburn something they weren't even playing for i.e. the crystal ball.

if we beat usc, the ap would have voted for us.

as a journalist, even I don't think their nat'l title is as legit as one decided in a final game, however. let auburn have it - they already had the parade for it :D

setem
5/4/2006, 09:43 PM
In all honesty we do not deserve it. I will say this though, if usc used a player who was not eligible then they cheated and should never played in the game. Bush is not a special case, he has to follow all the same rules everyone else does and he did not. On the other hand the ground game didnt kill us. They were catching everything put up in the air. I dont care if they give it to us. If they do cool, if not give it to Aub. I dont want any *

Personal notes:

Texas cheated last year. They played with......GAY players I am sure there is a NCAA rule about that!

Bonds is a homo NO H.O.F. and no records for him!''

picasso
5/4/2006, 11:27 PM
'03 was our year, not '04. we were not the best team in '04.

oumartin
5/4/2006, 11:30 PM
yeah, we can't blame the Orange bowl whippin' on Chuck Long.

that trophy the year before was OU's for the taking

soonerhubs
5/4/2006, 11:43 PM
yeah, we can't blame the Orange bowl whippin' on Chuck Long.

that trophy the year before was OU's for the taking
True. True. So I'm ready to hijack this "If If's were Fifths thread."

Anyone care to join me in this venture?

:D

Most famous Forfeits in history

GO!!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/5/2006, 08:28 AM
I really don't care so much what is done with the 04 Title as much as I want to see (or maybe just read about) the NCAA teabag USC into oblivion.

OUDoc
5/5/2006, 08:30 AM
That's "bolivian".