PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Vicksburg

SoonerProphet
4/28/2006, 08:06 PM
Pretty cool trip to check out the Civil War battle sites.

U.S.S Cairo, Second Texas Lunnette, and a display on Stand Watie were all great to see. Illnois monument was also a treat. Did a bus tour wednesday and a 12 mile hike yesterday. great stuff.

SicEmBaylor
4/28/2006, 08:45 PM
Vicksburg is great. My parents are big history buffs so all of our family vacations growing up were centered around traveling around the south visiting battlefields from the War of Northern Aggression. Vicksburg was always my favorite; I think I've walked and explored every square inch of that place.

King Crimson
4/28/2006, 08:48 PM
I went as a kid and loved it (thanks Dad). i remember the Great Redoubt most vividly.

OzarkSooner
4/28/2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I dug Vicksburg...you really get a sense of the battlefield and war there. The USS Cairo was that excavated battleship, right?

VeeJay
4/28/2006, 10:47 PM
Vicksburg is indeed a marvellous place if you're a CW buff. Just the fact that the Union blockade kept supplies from entering the town on the river for several days, signalling a major turning point in the War, is fascinating in itself.

I've got pics of my sister and I when I was 6 or 7 years old, leaning on cannons in the Park.

SicEmBaylor
4/28/2006, 10:51 PM
I've got pics of my sister and I when I was 6 or 7 years old, leaning on cannons in the Park.

I have pictures of myself with my head in each of the cannons from the time I was 4-5 years old up until the last time we went which I think was my senior year in HS. :D

It's fascinating to think that while that battle was going on my great-great grandfather was doing his part, fighting for the cause, in the 15th Alabama charging up Little Round Top at Gettysburg.

slickdawg
4/28/2006, 11:15 PM
It's a really neat place - the history there helps one understand the
gravity of the battle for Vicksburg and its significance.

royalfan5
4/28/2006, 11:53 PM
I would love to see Vicksburg. The only Civil War battlefield I have seen is Gettysburg. At least I will have the Shelby Foote trilogy soon.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/28/2006, 11:57 PM
I almost ended up working in Vicksburg over a decade ago. I was in line to get the job, but got passed over at the last minute.
Haven't been back there since the day I interviewed, but I wouldn't mind going through it again.