PDA

View Full Version : from somewhere

Jello Biafra
4/28/2006, 05:49 PM
on the internet. I saved it for some reason and happened across it when i went ballistic and had to re-read nickzepps post. zepp, you got issues. i hope you are finding the professional help you so desperately need.

anyway, here goes.......class of 2003

QB: Did OU need to sign a QB this year. On the surface of it, no not with Jason White, Brent Rawls, Paul Thompson, and Noah Allen returning, however OU loses Jason White and it’s not beyond the realm of possibility to see a QB transfer who falls behind on the depth chart. So, OU went and got a top five rated dropback passer in the country. Tommy Grady had a great summer at the Elite Eleven Camp where he was easily the most accurate QB with a great arm. Grady did not have fantastic stats his senior year after unreal junior year stats (2,791 yards and 33 touchdowns, 61% completion percentage, and only 3 ints). Mainly due to playing with a brand new OL and new WRs. Grady according to a recent interview is 6-7,225. OU beat USC,FSU,and Tenn for Grady. He verbaled in August and never wavered including visiting OU practices during Rose Bowl preparation

Quantity Grade: A Quality Grade: A+

WR: OU signed 3 Wrs last year in Blanton, Wilson, and Rankins. WR was not a huge need for OU but with the top rated impact player instate being a WR and Savage and Fagan graduated, preseason WR became a focus. So OU ends up with Tristen Ross and probably Marcus Johnson. Marcus Johnson’s senior year was at QB where he had a phenomenal year throwing for nearly 3000 yards with 500 yards rushing. OU will give Marcus a shot at QB but WR will be an option. Tristen Ross is an OU legacy who has been the star of OU summer camps since he was a sophomore. Ross playing in the Evangel pro style offense catching 62 passes for 980 yards and eight touchdowns in 13 games. Bob Stoops in radio interviews says Tristen was the most polished WR they have ever brought in. The big gap losing out on Meachem. Missing out on a bonafide blue chip WR weapon in state is going to cause a lot of gurus to drop the OU class. Rightly or wrongly the OU class was always going to be judged on getting Meachem. As long as Johnson stays at WR, the numbers are fine, and the coaches believe Ross is an impact guy

Quantity Grade (Johnson at WR): A - Quality: B+ (missed the big time target)

RB: OU didn’t appear to need a RB with 4 Rbs returning. However, Works is a senior as is Estus. OU’s RB recruiting efforts seemed stalled at times, and I think OU really thought they were going to get Jason Evans from Georgia who was in many ways the most complete back they were looking at. OU definitely rallied with Tashard Choice and Courtney Tennial. Tennial was a topic of much debate when it looked like early that OU might not offer. Tennial had just a sick senior year smashing defenses (and good programs) left and right to the tune of nearly 3500 yards. Tennial is also a great student and ended up choosing OU over Northwestern. Tennial at the very least will be a great short yardage Power I formation back for OU. Choice’s high school runs a Hal Mumme like offense. In that offense, Choice rushed for 1,200 yards on 129 carries, and also had over 600 reception yards out of the backfield in his senior campaign. Choice like Tennial is a great athlete and had the academic profile to go to Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, or Stanford. I think OU has gotten an absolute steal with this kid. Combined with Tennial and I think OU has a great RB situation. However, we are not done OU signed out of almost nowhere RB Jacob Gutierrez. Jacob had a great year carrying the ball 189 times for 1,815 yards as a senior. Gutierrez basically bombarded the Sooner staff with scout tapes including sending one to Stoops secretary. Jacob physically is running with the nickname Q2 due to his resemblance to the diminutive Sooner star.

Quantity Grade: A Quality Grade: B

Tight End: Not really a need for OU with Moses, Chester, Donley, and Nixon returning. However, fortune smiled on OU when Miami did not have room to resign a TE recruit placed at NEO. Willie Roberts didn’t play year one at NEO because he enrolled too late so he redshirted meaning he has 3 years at OU to play 3. This year he caught 38 passes for 521 yards and seven touchdowns this year. Coming out of high school Roberts was the top tight out of Florida and a top 5 tight end nationally. Basically OU has added a super blue chip tight end. I’m going to rank Joe John Finley at DE but he could easily end up here as well

Quantity Grade : A Quality Grade: A

OL: For a change with five returning starters at OL and some depth appearing OL is not the desperate recruiting position it has been the last 2 years where true frosh have ended up starting by the end of the year (Carter in 2001, Joseph in 2002). OU signed 4 true OL this year giving this position great depth for the future. The star at OL is Akim Millington a 6-6,300, pure OT from a great program in Illinois. Brian Zimpel gives OU a great 300 lb + guard to work with. Brandon Keith is just a huge kid at 6-6,335 with great mobility at that size. Those 3 guys are all ranked at top 20 at their position. OU also signed a sleeper that they loved on film more than some other recruits (principally Ian Yates Cunningham). Antonn Reid is a guard at 6-3,285 who also could play center (I think after the need to play Carter as a true frosh, signing a guy capable of playing center every year is a great idea). The Sooner coaches (Wilson) liked Reid on film better than some other highly rated prospects. It has been presumed since early fall that OU would sign Keith to place him. However, It’s now looking like Keith might qualify, if he does it really put this OL class up a notch.

Quantity Grade: B+ (w/o Keith) A (with Keith)

Quality Grade: B+ (w/o Keith) A (with Keith)

DE: With Jimmy Wilkerson leaving and blue chip star Zach Latimer not looking like a DE at the next level. OU definitely needed to sign at least 2 DE with an eye towards maybe one playing next year. Fortunately it was a great year in Texas for DE talent with at least five guys being ranked in the top 20 at DE by at least one service (Harrington, Moss, Dotson, Washington, and Crowder). OU stole Alonzo Dotson from UT when for most of the fall he was thought to be a lock to UT to join his teammate Tony Hills JR. However, Dotson ended up choosing OU and at 6-5,225, 4.6 is a legit threat to play next year. OU coaches are thrilled to get Alonzo and rated him as high as Jarvis Moss. Dotson had 114 tackles (89 assisted, 25 solo), 15 tackles for loss and 12 sacks in his senior year. The other DE is John Williams also from the Houston area. John fall just outside that other group but any other year would have been a top five DE in Texas. Williams at 6-5,220,4.6 will probably redshirt unless he puts on some quality weight in the offseason. Williams had 57 tackles, including 20 for loss, 14 sacks, and recovered a fumble and forced a fumble in 2002. But he has big time potential at DE. Okay, I’m going to put Joe John Finley here at DE although he might be a TE. Finley at 6-6,220,4.7 has great athleticism and a frame to handle 250+. I could easily see him being another Dan Cody at DE. Finley played QB last passing for 1,626 yards and rushing for 897 yards,but he’s a TE/DE at OU.

Quantity Grade: B Quality Grade: B+

DT: OU signed no DTs last year with the switch of Davin Joseph to OG (a move that is payoff big time in my opinion) and it appeared that DT depth was further reduced with the dismissal of Jacob Hager. OU needed to sign at least 2 DTs to deal with the eventual departure of Korey Klein due to graduation and Tommie Harris to the NFL after next year. OU got 2 excellent DTs who could potentially also star on the other side of the line and one great DT that could be an impact frosh next year (provided he is eligible). The gem of this group is Lawrence “Moe” Dampeer. Dampeer at 6-5,290 has an amazing initial burst off the line and was probably the most impressive interior lineman at the recent high school all star game. Dampeer was hurt for part of his senior but still had 80 tackles and nine sacks in seven games as a senior, as a junior he recorded 113 tackles and 12.5 sacks. His signing pretty much removes any disappointment over not signing that other kid :-) . Coleman is one of those great kids that gets overlooked due to verbaling early and immediately after his visit to OU. Coleman at 6-5,288, has sub 5.0 speed and last year racked up 38 tackles, 2 caused fumbles, 2 sacks, 6 deflections and 4 quarterback pressures. In a recent all star game, Coleman absolutely dominated and had 4 sacks. He will probably redshirt to work on adding upper body strength. There some rumor that he might move to OL but I think he will definitely stay at DT. His high school coach thinks he could easily hold 300 to 310 with his frame. The last DT was a real enigma in recruiting. Carl Pendleton seemed a sure bet to verbal to OU early especially after he was seen at Fan appreciation day in August decked out in OU gear. However, he took his recruiting process into mid January and seemed to be heading to Stanford. It appears the pull of home and being near his family made the difference. Pendleton is an amazing athlete at 6-6,270 and will start at DE initially. But he is probably going to add weight to that frame once he starts working out and hitting the training tables. The question then will be can he effectively play low enough at 6-6 (he’s a high school champion wrestler so Carl knows all about leverage etc) to be an great DT or will he move to OT where his amazing athleticism,wingspan would also be highly effective. Might be a similar situation to Jammal Brown.

Quantity Grade: A Quality Grade: A

LB: OU badly needed to sign some impact LBs with the graduation of Lehman,Mitchell, and Jackson upcoming next year. OU scored big time with the best quality class LB in the country. It’s hard to know which LB is the gem in the group because they are all so good. But forced to make a choice I’ll go with Demarrio Pleasant. Pleasant is probably the most ready to play of the 3 LBs at 6-3,225,4.5. In radio interviews, the OU coaches think that Pleasant can be 250 and still run like a safety. Pleasant for his senior year had 138 tackles (10 for loss), four sacks and two fumble recoveries. He also looked great in the high school all star on ESPN. Lewis Baker has been called a clone of Derrick Johnson at UT. Amazing closing speed and he will probably redshirt to add some weight to his frame but he can easily hold 230 to 235 while keep his blazing speed. Baker had 90 tackles (39 UT, 51 AT), eight tackles for loss, one sack, five quarterback hurries and one interception this year during his senior year. The final LB gem is Dane Zaslaw. Dane is the pure MLB of the three. Dane for his senior season had 121 tackles (40 UT, 81 AT), six tackles for loss, two sacks and three passes broken up. He also recovered three fumbles and returned one for a touchdown and intercepted a pass and returned it for a TD. Also, he carried the ball 63 times for 301 yards and three touchdowns. Dane has been part of high school program that has him in fantastic shape throwing around mad weight for a high school athlete.

Quantity Grade: A Quality Grade: A+

DB: OU had a great DB class last year. But that class took one hit with the loss of Micheal Hawkins. Also, probably one of the problems last year was the inconsistent play at strong safety. Also, OU will graduate Derrick Strait and Brandon Everage as well next year. OU scored the best JUCO strong safety available in Donte Nicholson. Donte at 6-2,210 is much more of a true SS than Eric Bassey (actually Bassey is moving back to his natural position of CB) and was the team leader of his juco’s defense last year. Sooner coaches are already raving over Donte and are indicating that they expect a Mitchell like impact from Nicholson. As good as Nicholson might be Tony Cade is probably rated higher and might be the highest rated player in this great class. Cade missed three games this year due to injury, but still totaled 54 tackles, two interceptions, eight passes broken up and caused four fumbles in 2002. Cade was also a star on special teams with blocked two punts and four field goals. During his junior year, he had 71 tackles, two fumble recoveries and eight interceptions. Cade has all but been declared the heir apparent to Brandon Everage and I think that he will play next year to get ready for that role. The final DB signed was Darien Williams. Williams seems like he will be a safety in college but probably has the athleticism to play CB as well, but he is just so physical that it’s easy to see him adding weight to his frame( 6-0,190) and being a run stopping physical strong safety. Perhaps the one negative was the lack of a big corner in this group. The big corner OU really wanted being Chijioke O. from CCSF.

Quantity Grade: B+ Quality Grade: A

K/P: OU didn’t need a placekicker after successfully finding Trey DiCarlo in a rushed walk on audition after Josh Roberts decided to not report to OU last fall. However, despite Blake Ferguson returning OU went out and got arguable the best high school punter in the country. Cody averaged 44.5 yards-per-punt with a 4.2 second hang time as a senior and to show what a good athlete he is, Cody also has 73 tackles and two interceptions playing defensive back. Freeby is a threat to seize the punter job next year if Ferguson stumbles.

Overall Thoughts: This class was about to get overshadowed by who we did not get at the end rather than who we did get between August and end of January. But adding Moe Dampeer adds a definite star quality again to this class. This is a fantastic class with great depth across all positions. Stars at almost every positions. 2 impact JUCOs in Nicholson and Roberts. Nicholson fills a huge void at SS and Roberts provides a potential replacement at TE for Trent Smith. This class even goes up a notch more if Keith and Dampeer make it on campus. Keith strengthens both the OL and DL classes if he can get on campus and Dampeer seriously strengthens DT if he can make it on campus. As you can see I have already addressed another element who are the academic risks, it’s Keith and to a lesser degree Dampeer. I honestly think that Moe will be a full qualifier. Keith?? It’s supposedly in his hands. He is not out of possible range.

Overall Grades (if everyone qualifies etc.. There’s a chance for instance that Grady could be drafted by baseball)

Here are the guys that play (it’s given that Roberts and Nicholson don’t redshirt): Pleasant, Dotson, Cade, Dampeer, and Ross

1. Tony Cade
2. Donte Nicholson
3. Moe Dampeer
4. Alonzo Dotson
5. Demarrio Pleasant
6. Tommy Grady
7. Lewis Baker
8. Akim Millington
9. Tristen Ross
10. Willie Roberts
11. Dane Zaslaw
12. Carl Pendleton
13. Steve Coleman
14. Brian Zimpel
15. Darien Williams
16. Cody Freeby
17. Courtney Tennial
18. Brandon Keith
19. Tashard Choice
20. Marcus Johnson
21. Joe John Finley
22. John Williams
23. Jacob Gutierrez
24. Antonn Reid

the way im looking at it, this class did us in. i count 9 who are still on campus. OUT OF 24!!!! that is ridiculous. sometimes the attitudes don't match the school. point blank. nothing more to say. this 2003 class was chocked full of prima donnas who thought they were going to walk into norman owning the key to the crapper. when their world came screeching to a halt, they realized they were going to have to work for PT and it wasn't just going to be handed to them. to those who have left, thanks for adding to the tradition and i wish you well. however, if you don't want to be here, there are three more guys who would have died to get your scholly.

yermom
4/28/2006, 06:00 PM
i can't believe all the guys in that post that i have either not heard of or didn't play much or at all

Millington, Moe, Grady, Keith... wow

the bit about the TEs was pretty funny too

CoSooner
4/28/2006, 06:02 PM
I have an idea how about we stop talking about the past and start looking towards the future.

yermom
4/28/2006, 06:08 PM
well, i think we are past the worst of it

in hindsight last year didn't go so bad...

Jello Biafra
4/28/2006, 06:24 PM
I have an idea how about we stop talking about the past and start looking towards the future.

how bout YOU start a topic about the future then? is there ANYTHING that hasn't been touched on yet?

im throwing a post out there for the sake of all who don't quite realize how this team became so young so quickly. not bashing. not rehashing the past. not looking back at the good ole days. simply pointing out how the people who have left this team haven't been good fits. thanks for your input though. next time i ll send you a pm to see if the topic is ok with you.

CoSooner
4/28/2006, 07:03 PM
how bout YOU start a topic about the future then? is there ANYTHING that hasn't been touched on yet?

im throwing a post out there for the sake of all who don't quite realize how this team became so young so quickly. not bashing. not rehashing the past. not looking back at the good ole days. simply pointing out how the people who have left this team haven't been good fits. thanks for your input though. next time i ll send you a pm to see if the topic is ok with you.

We all know why this team is young. The ability to retain recruits from the 2003 class is not a new hypothesis.

Jello Biafra
4/28/2006, 07:09 PM
We all know why this team is young. The ability to retain recruits from the 2003 class is not a new hypothesis.

do WE really? i didn't know you were speaking for the entire board.

anyway, interesting page (i thought) anyway. it shows how many we actually lost and the hype that was heaped up on them before they ever became something.

CoSooner
4/28/2006, 07:17 PM
Why are you so hostile? This idea has been circulating for awhile now, don’t get mad.

Jello Biafra
4/28/2006, 08:25 PM
Why are you so hostile? This idea has been circulating for awhile now, don’t get mad.

which idea?

im not mad. at what? i'm not f*^&in ya and you're not paying my mortgage so......

AzianSooner
4/28/2006, 09:59 PM
the question is that what was the common reason that led to the departure of those other 15 players.

Jello Biafra
4/28/2006, 10:58 PM
the question is that what was the common reason that led to the departure of those other 15 players.

could be a plethora of issues all or none of which could/would be detrimental to the team.

as a former lineman, i can say, laziness will get most of the biguns. most of them have been allowed to get away with doing just enough to get by. apparently that doesn't work here so when they get pushed to stage three puking, they change their minds quick like. did it a few times after i graduated from high school. didn't like it so i decided to join the ARMY. little did i know.......i did more puking in 18 weeks of basic than i did the first 18 years on my life on this planet. :O